Sumptin' Sweet

gpdjohn

That might be the difference as I have never been to Germany. Maybe they are different from what we call German style.

I have had cottage cheese cheese cakes that I loved, but it was American cottage cheese and doesn't sound like the type you are talking about.

If you look at the difference in recipies you can see that in the original German cheese cake, eggs and whipping cream are added and to get a more cheese flavor one can use some grated Gouda cheese as well ...... the German baked Cheese cake is more cake like than the US cream cheese cake which is really nothing but a cooky base with cream cheese mixed with whipped cream and lots of sugar - some gel added and once it has set in the fridge some fruit added to the top - a slice of sweet bread with Philadelfia cream cheese and some Jam on top is about the same :o which I must admit I like and have myself for dinner occasionally, especially when we have been making tons of sausages all day long .......

The "sweet glop" of which you speak is not cheesecake at all, but cream cheese pie. Cheesecake is the drier, lighter baked New York version. Perhaps a dozen or so Americans actually know they are different things.

I have never experienced the German cheesecake, which seems to be something entirely different as it isn't even based on cream cheese. It sure sounds delicious, though!

I'm going to make some this coming week in form of smallish cakes for chfsxp and parts thereof we will offer as dersert at the Bistro

This one is actually inbetween the cream cheese cakes and the German version - its not baked but lighter yet creamier - The German name is: Kaesesahne which can also be different by region -

This one is based on philladelfia cream cheese blended with smooth German cottage cheese and whipped cream on a cookie base which is first covered in dark cherries in a rum gellee-

John

p.s. warning - highly addictive :o

Edited by JohnBKKK

The "sweet glop" of which you speak is not cheesecake at all, but cream cheese pie. Cheesecake is the drier, lighter baked New York version. Perhaps a dozen or so Americans actually know they are different things.

Both are refered to as "cheesecake", although I've never been sure why. I'll take creamy "sweet glop" over a New York Cheesecake any time. I love them. I find N.Y. cheesecakes to be too heavy, dry and not all that tasty and I have noticed that many other people don't enjoy them.

I'm hoping that I get to try John's German cheesecake if I visit Bangkok next week, but am not sure that all the political and transport problems are over.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Yep, that's them. It doesn't matter how light/heavy the one is compared to the other; the recipes differ dramatically. I too prefer cheese pie, quite honestly, and that's after having had genuine New York cheesecake in New York. Now, the Pizza in New York...that's the only place in the world I could eat a plain cheese pizza and be happy. It's simply so far superior to other pizza, including the famous stuff in Chicago, which I have eaten at one of the famous places. Nasty stuff, Chicago deep dish pizza.

But back to cream cheese pie, with a nice cherry topping, preferably fresh fruit and not canned pie filling. :o Jello darn near ruined the genre with their instant cheese pie mixes.

Made our cheese cake today -

it's inbetween the two you have shown above - and its moist, melts on your tounge and is full of flavor i decided not to make a base to it, what you get is 100% cheese cake with raisons

post-30681-1222432086_thumb.png

it was still warm when I took the picture .. just couldn't wait to eat a slice :D:o

Edited by JohnBKKK

Looks like, "sweet glop" style to me. I LOVE the stuff! :D

Well, you could call it that, :o it is after all a mixture of cream cheese quark and cream and heavenly moist - but it was still very warm and soft at the time when I cut it and took the picture -have now replaced it with one I took just a few minutes ago - now it has already firmed up more and - you have no idea how much willpower it is taking me to keep my fingers off it tonight :D

by the way, that picture of the new york style further up is either a plastic replica (they make those for window display's) or someone used a laser to cut it - there is no way you achieve such a clean raisor straight cut with not even a molecule of distortion naturally

Edited by JohnBKKK