Landlord's Requirement To Report Tenants Arrival In LOS

My house is owned by my company and I am the main director.

Am I supposed to report to my local immigration every time that I arrive back at the house

after a trip overseas?

After all I already ready reported my address to immigration at the airport.............

From Immigraion website: http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/ba...?page=alienstay

Notification of residence of foreigners for businesses

According to section 38 of the 1979 immigration act, "House owners, heads of household, landlords or managers of hotels who accommodate foreign nationals on a temporary basis who stay in the kingdom legally, must notify the local immigration authorities within 24 hours from the time of arrival of the foreign national." If there is no immigration office in the province or locality of the respective house or hotel, the notification is made to the local police station. In Bangkok the notification is made to the Immigration Bureau. The notification of residence of foreign nationals is made by the manager of licensed hotels according to the hotel act, owners of guesthouses, mansions, apartments and rented houses using the form TM. 30.

IMHO the answer is no based on the above. You and or your wife are not operating a business. It's not on a temporary basis. The last sentence also supports a no answer.

Edited by ubonjoe

I stay with friends in Hua Hin and immigration were going to fine me/my friend 800 baht if they failed to report that I was staying with them and I failed to report my arrival back at that address after every visa run. I'm on a 1 year multi non-im O. "House owner" in your case Astral is the company - so you've got a very good question there. "The company" in theory should be reporting to immigration but you, in capacity as "head of household" could also report. Then I guess you'll have TWO forms to fill in (as arriving guest & head of household). That'll be sure to confuse 'em :o .

For what it's worth.

Last year we (my Thai wife) asked Immigration we had to "report" family guest's visiting for 10 days.

We didn't get an answer but a no nod.

Today we asked Immigration we have to "report" our brother in law staying with us for 3 months.

We had a clear yes, within 24 hours, although not with Immigration but the local police station.

For what it's worth.

Last year we (my Thai wife) asked Immigration we had to "report" family guest's visiting for 10 days.

Today we asked Immigration we have to "report" our brother in law staying with us for 3 months.

We had a clear yes, within 24 hours, although not with Immigration but the local police station.

Hello

I am quite confused now: reading the "Register a foreigner for businesses" I do understand that this is aimed at companies who are in that specific business of renting etc..

Now considering the two answers above it seems that anyone having a foreigner as a guest, let alone renting out on a private basis, is to declare it either to the immigration or to the Police station

Can anyone clarify his?

For what it's worth.

Hello

I am quite confused now: reading the "Register a foreigner for businesses" I do understand that this is aimed at companies who are in that specific business of renting etc..

Now considering the two answers above it seems that anyone having a foreigner as a guest, let alone renting out on a private basis, is to declare it either to the immigration or to the Police station

Can anyone clarify his?

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/ba...?page=alienstay

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/do...gration_Act.pdf

Reading here made me ask the question.

Reading this it doesn't only apply to to a business.

Section 38 : The house – master , the owner or the possessor of the residence , or the hotel manager

where the alien , receiving permission to stay temporary in the Kingdom has stayed , must notify the

competent official of the Immigration Office located in the same area with that hours , dwelling place or

hotel, within 24 hours from the time of arrival of the alien concerned. If there is no Immigration Office

located in that area , the local police official for that area must be notified.

In case the house , dwelling place , or hotel where the alien has stayed under provision of Para.1

is located within the Bangkok area , such notification must be reported to the competent official at the

Immigration Division.

Making notification , in reference to the Para 1 and 2 of this Section , must comply with

regulations prescribed by the Director General.

Immigration Act, B.E. 2522 http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/do...gration_Act.pdf

You are right.

If the house is in your wife's name she can be fined for not reporting your arrival.

I guess for me the words "Immigration Office located in the same area"

are the critical ones.

So I have to report my own arrival.

Experience first hand:

• I own a condo and a couple of friends have been staying here, one for a week or so, and the other one for less than 24 hours
    Following the publication of this post I have come to realise that I might be in breach with the law
  • Therefore I went to the immigration at Suanplu and asked for the TM 30 form at the information counter: the person in charge didn't know this form (after looking through the one she had in display on her desk) but after explaining to her that I was here to report the presence of an alien at my place she directed me to the proper office
  • The office is located at ROOM 206 on the second floor
  • There, I was nicely given a declaration form, stappled with a blank list to fill in with details of the aliens to declare.
  • I went back there, some minutes later, once I had written down the required informations
  • The officer handed me a "receipt" to be kept
  • That was it

Once that was done I asked some questions

1) Who has to declare? EVERYONE

2) When do one has to declare? Within 24 hours upon arrival at the place of residence

2) I am late declaring one of the aliens It is ok as long as you are here to do so

3) What would one face if one fails declaring? If, upon a check by Police or Immigration officers, it was found that no declaration was made the owner of the premises or/and the person in charge would have to pay a Baht 800 a day fine. In the case it were a hotel (I guess she includes guest houses) it would be Baht 4,000 per day not declared

I guess that uncasts any doubt

• 1 month later...

Let it be known that they are now enforcing this law, on Koh Samui, at least.

I was visited yesterday by a combined, Royal Thai and Immigration police group and fined accordingly, for my non-compliance of this law.

I own a small resort here, and knew of this requirement, but took the lazy approach, of when it happens, it happens.

I am now in the process of registering for the on-line service, which is actually fairly easy, after you pay the small users fee, of course.

Apparently the requirement for a lot of paperwork, as stated on the websites, is not really required, once you log on for a new user account.

I haven't finished the process yet, so I will keep you informed of the outcome.

Its an old old rule which came into been during the the anti-communist era (ironically, the guys who followed it dilligently in the early days were the guys running Pad Thai and similar groups who have been protesting so much recently): in theory it still stands, in reality I think the degree to which it is actually followed up on, on a daily basis is very much down to the area one is staying in, managements' attitude and the dilligence of the local coppers.

Experience first hand:

• I own a condo and a couple of friends have been staying here, one for a week or so, and the other one for less than 24 hours
    Following the publication of this post I have come to realise that I might be in breach with the law
  • Therefore I went to the immigration at Suanplu and asked for the TM 30 form at the information counter: the person in charge didn't know this form (after looking through the one she had in display on her desk) but after explaining to her that I was here to report the presence of an alien at my place she directed me to the proper office
  • The office is located at ROOM 206 on the second floor
  • There, I was nicely given a declaration form, stappled with a blank list to fill in with details of the aliens to declare.
  • I went back there, some minutes later, once I had written down the required informations
  • The officer handed me a "receipt" to be kept
  • That was it

Once that was done I asked some questions

1) Who has to declare? EVERYONE

2) When do one has to declare? Within 24 hours upon arrival at the place of residence

2) I am late declaring one of the aliens It is ok as long as you are here to do so

3) What would one face if one fails declaring? If, upon a check by Police or Immigration officers, it was found that no declaration was made the owner of the premises or/and the person in charge would have to pay a Baht 800 a day fine. In the case it were a hotel (I guess she includes guest houses) it would be Baht 4,000 per day not declared

I guess that uncasts any doubt

This is very interesting, but how would the owner of the house I am living in know that I went and came? I am not actually advertising my movements to this personand as long as my rent is somehow paid, there is no need of him coming to my/his place ever.

Could you elaborate which information you had to give, and was there a time frame on how long the alien had to stay, eg can you make an indefinite declaration? And last, does it actually have to be the owner of the house making this declaration?

…how would the owner of the house I am living in know that I went and came? I am not actually advertising my movements to this personand as long as my rent is somehow paid, there is no need of him coming to my/his place ever.

He wouldn’t know.

Could you elaborate which information you had to give, and was there a time frame on how long the alien had to stay, eg can you make an indefinite declaration? And last, does it actually have to be the owner of the house making this declaration?

See form TM.30, page 2 (www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/download/pdf/tm30.pdf) for the information required on the form. Indication of duration of the intended length of stay is not required.

--

Maestro

…how would the owner of the house I am living in know that I went and came? I am not actually advertising my movements to this personand as long as my rent is somehow paid, there is no need of him coming to my/his place ever.

He wouldn’t know.

See form TM.30, page 2 (www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/download/pdf/tm30.pdf) for the information required on the form. Indication of duration of the intended length of stay is not required.

--

Maestro

Thanks, that was a fast reply; good to know that there is always somebody on her with some answer, sometimes on the most obscure things :o

LTS KHORAT

Incidently I asked if I had to declare the departure/whereabouts of the visitors/tenants to the officer: she answered NO

You have to declare upon arrival and that's it. You are not here to monitor their location afterwards and do not have to bother telling anyone even though the visitor has left the country

Hello Wee: are you a tenant? in that case you do not have anything to declare to that office. This is the role of the owner

However do not forget to declare your whereabout every 90 days (fine 2000 Baht) at the immigration department

So everyone has to do this? I'm on a retirement visa, until May, but luckily I only arrived last week, hopefully will get fine ignored or a small fine. :o

As I understand it, if you arrived from overseas last week,

you meet your requirement by reporting your address on the arrival card. :D

If you simply moved house then you should have reported.

In either case your landlord should have reported your arrival.

As I understand it, if you arrived from overseas last week,

you meet your requirement by reporting your address on the arrival card. :o

If you simply moved house then you should have reported.

In either case your landlord should have reported your arrival.

Ah but (why is there ALWAYS a but when dealing with immigration?) :D , I am living in my wifes house, so is she classed as my landlord - I don't pay her anything to live here.

…Ah but (why is there ALWAYS a but when dealing with immigration?) :o , I am living in my wifes house, so is she classed as my landlord - I don't pay her anything to live here.

Your wife is the house owner and therefore would have to submit form TM.30 but I believe most wives don’t do it.

--

Maestro

GusG, I tried to register our guesthouse for the online service here in Phuket. I visited the Immigration Office, completed a form and was advised that I would be sent an email later that week with the login details. Despite chasing them up 1 week later, no email has been forthcoming.

That was 3 months ago! So I am still using the hard-copy forms.

So much for online efficiency!

Simon

Edited by simon43

GusG, I tried to register our guesthouse for the online service here in Phuket. I visited the Immigration Office, completed a form and was advised that I would be sent an email later that week with the login details. Despite chasing them up 1 week later, no email has been forthcoming.

Simon

not working hey? :o

also now are a tourist i see, sssssshh don't tell the authorities :D

• 3 weeks later...

Simon

OK. I did it all over the internet, plus a couple of phone calls to make sure it was happening.

None of the forms they tell you they need to register, just logging on the website, ( http://www.samui-immigration.com/Documents-04-e.html) and giving them my info.

A trip to the bank to pay,I hope, a yearly fee of 3000 baht, fax the receipt to them and 'Bobs' your uncle"

Just like TV, you get a user name and password and away you go.

I plan to phone them tomorrow to make sure that all the guests names that I have provided, are actually going into the system. Cheers.