B4 Million Hosptial Cost In Pattaya

Knightsbridge

The Pattaya expat teacher community is really rattled at the moment as one of their dear colleagues came down with such a serious condition 1.5 months ago ... and was admitted to one of the private hospitals in the area... the icu and other med costs since have risen to B3million and it looks to go beyond B4 million ... health cover used up completely!

So many are looking into the high premium international insurances that cover up to B30 million, and suddenly the medium scale Thai medical packages just don't cover one's savings enough....

This is a very upsetting time so i don't want to mention specific groups, companies or individuals involved, but felt I had to share this as there is no other such incident shared on Thaivisa.....

Knightsbridge; like LoveDaBlues (and you) I am also surprised to see such a high amount popping up.

I have before requested more high-end examples from Thaivisa Insurance in order to decide what my own cover should be but never got any good examples. So I relied on valious anecdotal information and questions directly to doctors/hospitals and the normal expensive stuff (heart surgery/brain surgery/cancer treatment Etc.) all NORMALLY seemed to top out around 1M Baht at the better hospitals. Seems Lovedablues anecdotal info is in the same range.

Can you advise what he is being treated for that is so expensive? It would help me/others to ask the right questions at hospitals and thereby finding the right higher end cover for me.

CHeers!

firefan

This is the beginning of his 3rd month in the icu and looks set to spend another 2. Unfortunately he got a rare viral infection that affects the nervous system so he's pretty much paralysed and on a lifesaver machine. Aslso with he breakdown in his body other problems set in so there has been a couple of other surgeries...All this just adds up and I should rephrase... it will cost him B4 m by the end of this month...

however school colleagues are doing something to raise funds for him ... tonite we're having a fundraising concert on Soi 12 and colleagues have been donating at any other time ...

Knightsbridge; like LoveDaBlues (and you) I am also surprised to see such a high amount popping up.

I have before requested more high-end examples from Thaivisa Insurance in order to decide what my own cover should be but never got any good examples. So I relied on valious anecdotal information and questions directly to doctors/hospitals and the normal expensive stuff (heart surgery/brain surgery/cancer treatment Etc.) all NORMALLY seemed to top out around 1M Baht at the better hospitals. Seems Lovedablues anecdotal info is in the same range.

Can you advise what he is being treated for that is so expensive? It would help me/others to ask the right questions at hospitals and thereby finding the right higher end cover for me.

CHeers!

My friend just had (20 days ago) a triple-bypass done at Bumrungrad. Final cost everything included 835,000 baht.

It's hard for me to imagine what could cost 3-4 million baht?

i was three days in an ICU (USA). the cost was peanuts. only 8,000 US-Dollars a day. and that was 16 years ago!

Knightsbridge; yeah, I heard about the charity-concert being put together for him. Super move!

A rare viral nervous system infection. Yeah - I can see have the constant ICU at Bangkok Pattaya Hospital will eat through a 1M baht insurance very quickly. Even when comparing with heart surgery/brain surgery the ICU is so much more expensive.

I have heard similar horror storries (was also a rare viral infection) about the ICU cost at Bangkok Pattaya hospital and I believe that AA (Thaivisa) insurance assisted him in being moved to the Marine hospital down there after burning through 300k for just a wk+ or so at the ICU - and that was without any real surgeries.

I wish him the best and will get myself back to getting some more cover beyond my Thai visa 1.5M Baht cover.

Cheers!

firefan

This is the beginning of his 3rd month in the icu and looks set to spend another 2. Unfortunately he got a rare viral infection that affects the nervous system so he's pretty much paralysed and on a lifesaver machine. Aslso with he breakdown in his body other problems set in so there has been a couple of other surgeries...All this just adds up and I should rephrase... it will cost him B4 m by the end of this month...

Aha! Now the facts come out. Four months in Intensive Care Unit means that he has been receiving intensive around the clock medical care for four months. That kind of care is very, very expensive - don't blame the high cost on the hospital, in this case. Yes, there may have been cheaper hospitals he could have gone to. But, this is not a "sock-it-to-you" thing. The cost is reasonable for that kind of care.

One million baht coverage should be adequate for most high cost treatment needs, possibly 2 million just to be extra safe - with the increasing cost of medical care in Thailand. BUT in the very worst case scenario, (like your friend is experiencing, unfortunately) a long term stay in the hospital requiring constant medical care and supervision over many months could cost 5 to 10 million baht.

Thanks Tony

wondered when you'd reply on this ...

Once worked in one of your schools too.... you were in the high upper grades and I was in the lower grades thus never really bumped into each other ...

firefan

Aha! Now the facts come out. Four months in Intensive Care Unit means that he has been receiving intensive around the clock medical care for four months. That kind of care is very, very expensive - don't blame the high cost on the hospital, in this case. Yes, there may have been cheaper hospitals he could have gone to. But, this is not a "sock-it-to-you" thing. The cost is reasonable for that kind of care.

One million baht coverage should be adequate for most high cost treatment needs, possibly 2 million just to be extra safe - with the increasing cost of medical care in Thailand. BUT in the very worst case scenario, (like your friend is experiencing, unfortunately) a long term stay in the hospital requiring constant medical care and supervision over many months could cost 5 to 10 million baht.

Thanks Tony

wondered when you'd reply on this ...

Once worked in one of your schools too.... you were in the high upper grades and I was in the lower grades thus never really bumped into each other ...

firefan

and thus one should be treated in their home countries - that's where the high tax benefits you medically speaking ...

• 2 weeks later...
Reading this makes me glad that I have a company paid health insurance that covers me for up to 60 million baht, BPH is certainly a rip off joint especially on any meds.

Same here, bud. I am coverd to up to 85 million Baht now!

Edited by Flow

• 5 weeks later...

CHeers!

If you like to inform yourself about the hospital costs in thailand visit this website

http://www.bangkokhospital.com/eng/index.aspx