British And Baby Born In Thailand

bluweyze

Does anyone have any knowledge of how I get my new-born child registered as a British citizen ( he was born in Chiang Mai and my wife is Thai). Is this done at the British Consulate? Do I have to get the birth certificate translated?

Does anyone have any knowledge of how I get my new-born child registered as a British citizen ( he was born in Chiang Mai and my wife is Thai). Is this done at the British Consulate? Do I have to get the birth certificate translated?

Congrats on the new addition to the family. When we (also Brit dad, Thai mum) registered our CM-born son 12 years ago we had made sure to get married before the birth, which was then necessary to ensure full UK citizenship for the child (not necessary if Brit mum, Thai dad!) and then we needed the translated birth cert and a form which we got from Khun Panita at the UK honorary consulate (in British Council grounds). Not sure if the procedure is still exactly the same but the consulate will be able to tell you. Think the phone number is still 053 263015 (only between about 9-11 am Mon-Thurs, I think).

CMMCB

Congratulations about your baby! The British embassy website has all the information you need.

My only advice is to get birth cert and passport at the same time.

From when I did it last year, you'll need to send the two completed application forms for birth certificate and passport (coutersigned by someone who knows you), two photos (35mm by 45mm) of your baby (SO hard to photo a baby!)

and the orignial and copies of:

your original british birth certificate, both parents passports, your original marriage certificate (and translation?) and the Thai birth certificate (and translation)

You can mail these things by EMS and include 100b for return postage. I'd recommend getting a cheque from a bank (45b fee) so you'll be looking at 16200baht. The translations will be around 300b per document from a decent company. I got all my documents back in prsitine condition with my baby's passport and birth certificate in around fifteen days.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats on the new addition to the family. When we (also Brit dad, Thai mum) registered our CM-born son 12 years ago we had made sure to get married before the birth, which was then necessary to ensure full UK citizenship for the child (not necessary if Brit mum, Thai dad!) and then we needed the translated birth cert and a form which we got from Khun Panita at the UK honorary consulate (in British Council grounds). Not sure if the procedure is still exactly the same but the consulate will be able to tell you. Think the phone number is still 053 263015 (only between about 9-11 am Mon-Thurs, I think).

CMMCB

Thanks for the help, sorry that I took so long to reply but the baby is still in hospital ill and I have been busy

Congratulations about your baby! The British embassy website has all the information you need.

My only advice is to get birth cert and passport at the same time.

From when I did it last year, you'll need to send the two completed application forms for birth certificate and passport (coutersigned by someone who knows you), two photos (35mm by 45mm) of your baby (SO hard to photo a baby!)

and the orignial and copies of:

your original british birth certificate, both parents passports, your original marriage certificate (and translation?) and the Thai birth certificate (and translation)

You can mail these things by EMS and include 100b for return postage. I'd recommend getting a cheque from a bank (45b fee) so you'll be looking at 16200baht. The translations will be around 300b per document from a decent company. I got all my documents back in prsitine condition with my baby's passport and birth certificate in around fifteen days.

Good luck!

Thank you for the good advice. Sorry for the delay but I have been busy with my baby ill in hospital