Uk Cancel Thaksin's Visa And Wife's

Jingthing

• Replies 664
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The interesting thing is the UK announcement that it will not comment unless they need to respond to things Thaksin says. A classic we will stay quiet if you do. I wonder what they did it for and if Thaksin wants the reason coming out. Cue masses of speculation on his money movements, business dealings in the UK and what has been said in his communications, which I wouldnt be surptrised to find the UK monitored.

I agree.Although I happily am eating humble pie I still feel this story doesn't add up on the basis of existing facts.There's something going on here we don't know and my guess is that your speculation is on the money, specifically UK security servics monitoring of Thaksin's communications having uncovered something totally unacceptable.Interestingly The Nation's Tulsathit in his "big and scary" comment this morning was driving at the same point though I suspect, if I am right, it was more than about business hanky panky.

I think the British Government have played this very craftily, very carefully. They no longer have to deal with a complicated extradition issue. They would know that a man like Thaksin would get too cocky, think himself invincible. He would never have considere that the UK would revoke his visa and it was publicised that he was going to China and the Philipinnes so all they had to do was bide their time. All solved in one easy stroke. They do not have to give a reason for denying entry or revoking visas.

I wonder if they are going to confiscate, or freeze, his cash in England. Has he paid tax on the profits from selling Man City? What will happen to his properties?

How chickens come home to roost. Best news of the weekend. :o

Oh, and as for the Bahamas offering him citizenship - I doubt that they will now. They are still members of the British Commonwealth with Queen Elizabeth as head of state. I doubt that they will want to make waves. Invite a fugitive who wants to abuse your hospitality by being illegally politically active?

The interesting thing is the UK announcement that it will not comment unless they need to respond to things Thaksin says. A classic we will stay quiet if you do. I wonder what they did it for and if Thaksin wants the reason coming out. Cue masses of speculation on his money movements, business dealings in the UK and what has been said in his communications, which I wouldnt be surptrised to find the UK monitored.

I agree.Although I happily am eating humble pie I still feel this story doesn't add up on the basis of existing facts.There's something going on here we don't know and my guess is that your speculation is on the money, specifically UK security servics monitoring of Thaksin's communications having uncovered something totally unacceptable.Interestingly The Nation's Tulsathit in his "big and scary" comment this morning was driving at the same point though I suspect, if I am right, it was more than about business hanky panky.

It could be about funny money but I too would suspect it is more about politcal machinations and probably of a kind unacceptable in a democratic country. This is getting way into speculation but it may be that revoking the visa while he was out of the country was the minimum and least public sanction. Any breach of UK law would have necessitated more than this if he were to return to UK territory, and the UK may have wanted to avoid such action.

I have no doubt the UK intellignece services were monitoring Thaksin as they would any foreign national who was conducting a politcal campaign form their territory and I have no doubt they know everything he communicated from their shores by any form of electronic device whether coded or not and that they know all his money movements through their territory too. They probably know more about his plans than anyone in Thailand right now.

What is worrying is that some scenarios of this could point to things hotting up in Thailand to say the least

Hope there is not retaliation visa wise against British nationals staying here because of this.

Don't really see why there should be. The courts and Pad Thai will be happy to see Toxin one step nearer to a return to face the consequences in Thailand , whilst the poor Isaan farmers will be expecting the saviour to appear over the horizon at any moment. Everybody's happy.....or am I being too simplistic?

There is a very good piece from BBC's Jonathan Head on the complexities of the current political turmoil:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7716033.stm

Despite this minor problem , Thaksin will bounce back, he still has the support of millions of Thai voters, they love and respect him for the hard work he did to help them and to improve the country.

He just needs to get the right political team together , give the nod to the voters and its back to happy days again. The PAD are going to have to learn to accept the will of the people, and more respect for the democratic process

Despite this minor problem , Thaksin will bounce back, he still has the support of millions of Thai voters, they love and respect him for the hard work he did to help them and to improve the country.

He just needs to get the right political team together , give the nod to the voters and its back to happy days again. The PAD are going to have to learn to accept the will of the people, and more respect for the democratic process

He may have to overcome more than just the PAD to achieve this.

Which minor problem are you speaking of? His loss of a visa to enter the UK? His conviction and flight from justice in Thailand? His other cases still pending against him? His ban from Thai politics for 5 years? His personal statement that democracy doesn't matter? His nominee Samak getting tossed out of office? His nominee party about to be dissolved and it's execs banned from politics for 5 years? His being further discredited in the international community?

Which minor problem are you speaking of? His loss of a visa to enter the UK?

the minor problem i am referring to just happens to be the topic of the thread. why is that so hard to understand

anyhow you answered your own question on your first attempt, so well done to you.

Edited by mc2

The face-saving attempts are utterly laughable. My wife was telling me on the news this morning people were saying the fugitive criminal could still travel to the UK using his unbelievably still-valid diplomatic passport.

Would love to see him try...

(off topic, but how can I qualify for a diplomatic passport?)

the minor problem i am referring to just happens to be the topic of the thread. why is that so hard to understand

anyhow you answered your own question on your first attempt, so well done to you.

LOL

He's gone way beyond 'minor problems' .... he's done. He's just trying to salvage some cash (but I wonder of the NCCC could get anything on him for the Man City purchase?)

LOL

He's gone way beyond 'minor problems' .... he's done.

nope. he is not done. not where it counts.

he still has enormous influence in the N and NE, people there love and trust him and will vote for the team he gives the nod to. his fans know he is being bullied but they are still loyal, the younger voters there love him too. his influence will be around for years to come , something the PAD are just going to have to accept unless they want to tear the country apart.

waldo_lg.jpg

Thai press speculates on new home for ousted PM Thaksin

BANGKOK (AFP / 1 hour ago) — Britain's decision to revoke the visas of ousted Thai premier Thaksin Shinawatra and his wife provoked speculation in local press Sunday over where the self-exiled leader might set up home next.

Thailand's foreign ministry on Saturday confirmed that Britain had slapped an entry ban on Thaksin and his wife Pojaman.

It comes after Thaksin was last month sentenced in absentia to two years in jail for conflict of interest after helping his wife buy state-owned land when he was prime minister.

The reasons for the British government's decision remain unclear, but there appear to be a number of countries willing to take in the multi-millionaire, who was overthrown in a coup in September 2006.

"We don't have to be concerned about Thaksin and his family," the Thai-language Matichon newspaper quoted Pracha Prosobdee, a member of the ruling pro-Thaksin People Power Party (PPP), as saying.

"There are the Bahamas and several countries in Africa and around the world that will gladly welcome high-quality people like him."

The Nation newspaper quoted an unnamed source from the PPP saying Thaksin was building a 300-million-baht (8.5-million-dollar) mansion in China, where he and his wife might take up residence if Britain is indeed off the cards.

The English-language paper also mentioned the Bahamas, and said the pair had been offered honorary citizenship there.

The Bangkok Post's Sunday edition quoted an unnamed source as saying that the couple were currently in China. Last week, the paper reported that Bolivia was considering offering Thaksin a post as an economic advisor.

Thailand's Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat -- Thaksin's brother-in-law -- remained tight-lipped about his relative's plans.

"The revoking of the visas is the decision by the government of Great Britain -- we cannot criticise," he told reporters, but refused to say whether he planned to meet up with Thaksin on his trip Monday to the Philippines.

Local media on Saturday said that Thaksin may head to Manila.

Thaksin has spent most of his time since the coup in self-imposed exile in Britain, where he bought and subsequently sold Manchester City football club.

He returned to Thailand in February this year, but swiftly fled again in August after Pojaman was sentenced to three years in jail for tax evasion.

he still has enormous influence in the N and NE, people there love and trust him and will vote for the team he gives the nod to. his fans know he is being bullied but they are still loyal, the younger voters there love him too. his influence will be around for years to come , something the PAD are just going to have to accept unless they want to tear the country apart.

LOL

You are such a mess .... carry all the quotes but cut mine off so you can obfuscate the issues.

More than the PAD stands against Thaksin the convicted fugitive .. and those are just the beginnings of his problems :o

speaking of Waldo-esque-looking people... comes a denial...

1226209072.jpg

PM to visit Philippines; rules out meeting Thaksin in Manila

BANGKOK, Nov 9 (TNA) –Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat will pay an official visit to the Philippines on Monday, but he has dismissed a rumour that he had also planned to meet ex- premier Thaksin Shinawatra during his trip there.

Somchai, a brother-in-law of Thaksin, said that his trip to the Phillipines' capital of Manila was scheduled earlier and was not linked to a rumour that Thaksin was to travel to the Philippines.

"The revoking of the visas is the decision made by the British government. We cannot criticise," said the premier.

The face-saving attempts are utterly laughable. My wife was telling me on the news this morning people were saying the fugitive criminal could still travel to the UK using his unbelievably still-valid diplomatic passport.

Where did you meet your wife ?

In reference to the revocation of the diplomatic passport of Thaksin, a sensitive issue for the Thai government in which Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Sompong Amornwiwat said earlier that the matter is rested with the prime minister's decision, Somchai said he would ask the secretariat to the prime minister about its progress.

you best ask real soon, Somchai... time is running out...

Thaksin gets his red passport back

The Foreign Ministry has reinstated the diplomatic passport of former PM Thaksin Shinawatra, a high-level source in the ministry said yesterday. The renewal of the red passport was made less than two weeks after Thaksin's fomer legal adviser and close aide Noppadon Pattama was appointed Foreign Minister.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/23Feb2008_news05.php

The clock is ticking... 2 weeks from the date of their appointment, this administration if it is to act with equal vigor, is October 9th. (being generous at granting a full 2 weeks instead of "less than two weeks")

only 11 days until October 9th...

Abhisit wants PM to lift Thaksin's red passport

Democrat Party Leader Abhisit Vejjajiva called on PM and Defence Minister Somchai Wongsawat to quickly revoke the diplomatic passport of ousted PM Thaksin Shinwatra, who is now living in exile in Britain. According to Mr. Abhisit, the legal process is there for the government to lift Thaksin’s diplomatic passport, and this would be one way for Somchai to show his integrity as Prime Minister.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=130960

only 2 more days, Somchai

1221751074.jpg

Somchai and his wife at either end and a gaggle of Shinawatras in between...

October 9th came and went without any action... hard to imagine that the do-nothing administration of Samak was still more pro-active than Somchai's.... but yet it appears it was...

and now... it's time to punt the football back from the Prime Minister's Office to the Foreign Minister's Office...

and meanwhile, no further word from Thaksin himself on his voluntarily giving it up... as he said he would do so recently....

PM's Secretary-General says Foreign Minister will decide whether to annul Thaksin's diplomatic passport

PM's Secretary-General Choosak Sirinil said Monday that the Foreign Minister will be the one to decide whether to annul the diplomatic passport of former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

Choosak said Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat assigned him to study the issue, but he thought the Foreign Ministry had regulations for considering the issue so he passed on the matter to the Foreign Minister.

Earlier, Foreign Minister Sompong Amornwiwat said the issue should be decided by the Prime Minister.

- The Nation / 2008-10-20

===================================================

a football game played by clowns...

A month later, The Band of Bozos keeps playing their kazoos...

FM: Revoking Thaksin diplomatic passport still pondered

Thani Thongpukdee, the Deputy Director-General of Information Department and Deputy Spokesman of Ministry of Foreign Affairs, stated on Saturday that the ministry has verified reports and received internal confirmation from the British officials that they have revoked the United Kingdom's entry visas of former premier Pol Lt Col Thaksin Shinawatra and his wife Pojaman, but refuse to disclose the reasons.

The Thai authorities were also considering whether to revoke Pol Lt Gen Thaksin's diplomatic passport.

Regarding the visa cancellation, which was decided while the couple were outside England, having been notified to airlines on Friday, Thani said that it was normal international process.

From his latest information, Thani said that the couple were traveling outside England. If they wanted to return to the UK, they would need to re-apply for new visas which would rest with British authorities' decision whether to grant new visas to them.

He also said that the Thai officials' political side was still considering whether to revoke the former premier's diplomatic passport which would need time because of the recent change in the Minister of Foreign Affairs.

- ThaiNews / 2008-11-09

Why do you ask?

329019864_1fbdd6b40a.jpg1221751171-1.jpg

nrest_sl102.jpg322.jpg

Thai premier arriving Monday, to meet with Arroyo

MANILA, Philippines - New Thai Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat will arrive Monday and meet with President Arroyo in Malacañang in the afternoon, a Palace statement said Sunday.

The Palace statement said Somchai is scheduled to arrive in Manila Monday afternoon for a seven-hour visit, arriving at 3 p.m. and leaving at 10 p.m.

He and President Arroyo are expected to discuss the current financial crisis and its impact on the region during the bilateral meeting that will be held in Malacañang before a gala dinner Arroyo will host for him.

Executive Secretary Eduardo Ermita said that the Thai prime minister is coming to Manila "to introduce himself to the President."

Somchai, a brother-in-law of ousted Thai Premier Thaksin Shinawatra, was nominated the next prime minister last September after a court forced his predecessor, Samak Sanaravej, to step down. Somchai had planned to officially visit the Philippines in response to Arroyo's invitation.

He is also expected to show appreciation toward the Philippines for hosting the High Level Working Group on Global Financial Crisis Summit to be held on Nov. 15-16.

In 2005, Thailand ranked as the Philippines' 10th largest trading partner, while the Philippines was Thailand's 14th largest.

- GMANews (Philippines) / 1 hour ago

LOL

You are such a mess .... carry all the quotes but cut mine off so you can obfuscate the issues.

More than the PAD stands against Thaksin the convicted fugitive .. and those are just the beginnings of his problems :o

Sure, he has some problems, mainly from the bullies abusing their power, including some of the obbsessive bullies on this forum

but like i said, he will bounce back . after all, he has the power of the people behind him with their vote. so im not to concerned. :D

LOL

Sure, he has some problems, mainly from the bullies abusing their power, including some of the obbsessive bullies on this forum

but like i said, he will bounce back . after all, he has the power of the people behind him with their vote. so im not to concerned. :D

Bullies abusing their power? LOL

Pot kettle black.

'The British embassy sent an email message to all airlines operating from Bangkok on Friday that the British authorities had revoked the visa for Thaksin and Pojaman,' he said.

Why only those operating from BKK? He's not been here for months. I think this item just shows you how contagious shit news really is - I'm surprised and dismayed how the international media are copying each other without verifying, or even quoting, reliable sources. All I can see form all these reports is that it emanates from an unnamed airline official. Load of crap if you ask me.

Why only those operating from BKK?

This a normal standard procedure, because it was the British embassy in BKK who issued the visa. So its normal they give this warning to the airlines departing from BKK, because officially he and his wife will depart from BKK. We all know that Kafkaian behaviour is an inherent part of governmental administrations.

:o mmm.... That sounds bogus, the grammar errors within the quotation indicate a Thai-fingerprint.

As a rule, I don't believe anything people tell me in this country, that's why I have lived peacfully here for almost 15 yrs.

I would be surprised to see "bonnie & clyde" leaving the airport in cuffs.... that simply goes against the long and cherished notion that money can buy all-things.

If the UK actually does reject them they may find a landing ground in Canada along side the other blood-sucking leech that brought down the banking sector in 97' - Canada loves to be the "boy scout" in a world of wolves and tigers.

I would put money on Thaksin being an angry man right now. This is huge huge loss of face and his vengeful nature is probably well out of control. Things could hot up very soon not only because of the humiliation but also because the issue of a place to reside has become paramount. Lets put it this way the Bahamas, Bolivia and the Congo are not acceptable alternatives to London and even if he does find another temporary western home to his liking he will start to get paranoid of being devisa'd again if he conducts a politcal campaign and he is not exactly going to stop on that front.

Why do you ask?

Tick tock. Still awaiting a reason behind your asking of this potentially loaded question...