Thailand In Fighting Mode To Increase Uk Arrivals

george

Thailand in fighting mode to increase UK arrivals

THAILAND is in a fighting mode to increase arrivals from the UK, announcing a Visit Thailand Year 2009 campaign to key UK tour operators on Monday, the first day of World Travel Market.

While a Visit Thailand Year might sound déjà vu, it signalled the Tourism Authority of Thailand's (TAT) determination to tackle its latest battle head on.

The devaluation of the sterling pound, higher fuel surcharge and political tension in the kingdom all combine to create a perfect storm, but TAT governor Ms Phornsiri Manoharn insists that Thailand aims for an increase in arrivals from the UK next year, from the current 740,000 to 750,000 arrivals.

The campaign was first launched to 1,049 agents and journalists from 54 countries Thailand hosted from October 8 to 12 and this was its first international launch. Ms Phornsiri acknowledged "we have to fight very hard for next year" to increase UK arrivals by boosting the image of the kingdom as the country to visit.

The campaign's tagline revolves around Amazing Thailand, Amazing Value. Schemes include a value card that give consumers discounts not only in 300 establishments throughout Thailand, but even in the UK, such as at 43 Thai restaurants in the country.

Neighbouring NTOs expect Thailand to be aggressive in launching a campaign and in supporting overseas tour operators with tacticals. Tour operators for whom Thailand remains their biggest seller are equally anxious to rally behind it.

The Lotus Group's product manager Africa & Asia, Mr James Jones, said the company was not about to cut advertising on Thailand even with the current UK downturn. Silverbird's director, Mr Paul Graham, said the Thai travel trade had been approaching it to run tacticals.

-- TTG Asia 2008-11-11

This after years of complaining that there are too many tourists coming here. Guess all those asian package tourists didn't spend the big bucks they were hoping for.

Visa changes forced a fair few out and guess what! they are now "enjoying" those forced months out of the country in Cambodia, Laos and the Phillipines.

Many here have not forgotten how unwelcome they are made to feel in times of plenty and will be more discerning now that there are other places opening up to take our money.

Unless the exchange rate for the UK pound improves they ain't going to get the increase they want. Simple. The UK jobless total went up a fair bit yesterday, and more, much more , to come before the end of the year.

Totally agree. Its a true 'double whammy' with travel costs rising and the credit crisis hitting familes in particular. People in the UK are having to pay more for gas, electricity, food etc.. and can no longer refinance the mortgage on the house or extend debt on the 'plastic' to pay for their lifestyle. Thailand is a long haul destination and if familes don't cancel their holidays, its a lot cheaper and easier to go to the Canary Islands for some winter sun. I was in the UK recently and planning expensive holidays was not even a topic of conversation - getting through the financial 'mess' was.

I'm going in a couple of weeks and I'm fretting a bit about the exchange rate. Those going on a first trip will be more likely to put it off altogether.

Fortunately, I'm going to Australia as well, and the slide of the $A is even more dramatic and balancing things out.

If the idea of attracting tourists is to inject hard currency into the local economy why don't they make it easier for those of us already here to stay and spend our cash :o

That would seem to be a little too simplistic for Thais , who do not realy like us here in the first place , to grasp . Another thing to ponder is , why not let the visa runners renew their visas at immigration , charge them the B2,00 it costs to do that run , and put it in a fund for the poor ? MMMMMMMM

THAILAND is in a fighting mode to increase arrivals from the UK, announcing a Visit Thailand Year 2009 campaign to key UK tour operators on Monday, the first day of World Travel Market.

The devaluation of the sterling pound, higher fuel surcharge and political tension in the kingdom all combine to create a perfect storm, but TAT governor Ms Phornsiri Manoharn insists that Thailand aims for an increase in arrivals from the UK next year, from the current 740,000 to 750,000 arrivals.

-- TTG Asia 2008-11-11

Ms Phornsiri Manoharn's wet dream. She can insist until she gets made redundant but the fact will remain that she's living in cloud 9 cuckoo land.

This after years of complaining that there are too many tourists coming here. Guess all those asian package tourists didn't spend the big bucks they were hoping for.

Visa changes forced a fair few out and guess what! they are now "enjoying" those forced months out of the country in Cambodia, Laos and the Phillipines.

Many here have not forgotten how unwelcome they are made to feel in times of plenty and will be more discerning now that there are other places opening up to take our money.

Edited by zorro1

While a Visit Thailand Year might sound déjà vu, it signalled the Tourism Authority of Thailand's (TAT) determination to tackle its latest battle head on.

The campaign was first launched to 1,049 agents and journalists from 54 countries Thailand hosted from October 8 to 12 and this was its first international launch. Ms Phornsiri acknowledged "we have to fight very hard for next year" to increase UK arrivals by boosting the image of the kingdom as the country to visit.

The campaign's tagline revolves around Amazing Thailand, Amazing Value. Schemes include a value card that give consumers discounts not only in 300 establishments throughout Thailand, but even in the UK, such as at 43 Thai restaurants in the country.

Neighbouring NTOs expect Thailand to be aggressive in launching a campaign and in supporting overseas tour operators with tacticals. Tour operators for whom Thailand remains their biggest seller are equally anxious to rally behind it.

The Lotus Group's product manager Africa & Asia, Mr James Jones, said the company was not about to cut advertising on Thailand even with the current UK downturn. Silverbird's director, Mr Paul Graham, said the Thai travel trade had been approaching it to run tacticals.

-- TTG Asia 2008-11-11

The UK's bankrupt . . . I guess they didn't get that memo.

-- TTG Asia 2008-11-11

Ms Phornsiri Manoharn's wet dream. She can insist until she gets made redundant but the fact will remain that she's living in cloud 9 cuckoo land.

The Phuket Tourist Association just announced a projection that sees 55% occupancy rate for hotels in Patong until end of year (normally super peak season). Increasing tourists is definitely NOT the goal, 'just getting at least some', at whatever cost, is more the motto.

The only place where hotels are really full will be Phi Phi Island, because demand still outstrips number of rooms.

-- TTG Asia 2008-11-11

The Phuket Tourist Association just announced a projection that sees 55% occupancy rate for hotels in Patong until end of year (normally super peak season). Increasing tourists is definitely NOT the goal, 'just getting at least some', at whatever cost, is more the motto.

The only place where hotels are really full will be Phi Phi Island, because demand still outstrips number of rooms.

I had a hel_l of a job getting a room at peak season last year. 55% is very low, even for rainy season. Are you sure that's correct?

-- TTG Asia 2008-11-11

I had a hel_l of a job getting a room at peak season last year. 55% is very low, even for rainy season. Are you sure that's correct?

55% occupancy seems pessimistic and scary, so I am not sure that really is correct or numbers are not painted in a more negative light for whatever politic reason. But in the end, we will see when Christmas is there... I am in Phuket and it is awfully quiet here and I hear from many peopel that forward bookings are very low in number compared to previous years.

There are a few positive signs, new international flights connections to Phuket are just now opening again and Air Asia cut their fuel surcharge, with others sure to follow. It should not be forgotten that for many people it was not the problem of getting a hotel room, but of actually getting to Phuket that was the limiting factor.

As was mentioned in other posts here, it is still difficult to get really good hotel rates and specials adjusted to this situation. Maybe it simply needs until next years until hotel management have gotten the mesasage, what should see much better prices and service in a years time. Weeding out a few bad apples on the way would be actually not a bad side effect in the longer run.

The time when I really am expecting it to look bad will be next low season, especially if the government does not get the situation in Bangkok under control or if the Thai economy implodes (which might or might not happen, I would be much happier if I knew!).

-- TTG Asia 2008-11-11

I guess its time for Phuket hotels to raise their prices now to gouge the few tourists that show up.

What about the high cost of getting to Thailand. ? Hopefully the Airlines will reduce prices in 2009 (depending on oil prices)

From Manchester UK it can cost an extra £100 to Bangkok compared to Hong Kong (Finnair via Helsinki) Bangkok seems to be a premium route for most carriers (incl Emirates/Qatar/Etihad)

The credibility of the TAT would be laughable if it wasn't of such an importance to Thailand.

The way TAT's Governor Ms Phornsiri Manoharn describes the situation is (again) vague.

Does it mean that the CURRENT arrival numbers are from 2008...? and is that number for the arrivals up to -including- October ?

hmmmm....

2008: Jan. to March: UK visitors to Thailand: 246.342

2008: April to June : UK visitors to Thailand: 179.699 = TOTAL 6 months of 2008: 426.041

2007 the whole year: UK visitors to Thailand: 859.010 by air, land, sea

2006 the whole year: UK visitors to Thailand: 850.685 by air, land, sea

Source of data: Immigration Bureau, Police department, supplied to TAT.

THAILAND_2007_tourist_numbers_res_1_12_1.XLS

LaoPo

Has someone devalued the pound and forgot to tell the UK government?

TAT governor Ms Phornsiri Manoharn insists that Thailand aims for an increase in arrivals from the UK next year, from the current 740,000 to 750,000 arrivals.

Wow, an extra 10,000 people, that should keep a few big hotels going for.. er about a week. :o

Edited by Robski

TAT governor Ms Phornsiri Manoharn insists that Thailand aims for an increase in arrivals from the UK next year, from the current 740,000 to 750,000 arrivals.

Wow, an extra 10,000 people, that should keep a few big hotels going for.. er about a week. :o

I think you are misreading that particular sentence.

LaoPo

Has someone devalued the pound and forgot to tell the UK government?

I know the terminology used is wrong, but the sentiment is correct. Last November I remember exchanging money at 70 Baht for a friend who came to stay in Thalaind. Yesterday I saw the pound advertised at 50.8 Baht. As for the UK Government, they would at first deny the pound was 'devalued' against any currency, and if that did not work, then deny it was their fault! Curiously when the pound 'revalues' again, I have a sneeky feeling they may claim the credit for that event :o

I think Thai tourism, along will all tourism (tourism is not an essential item after all), will suffer until this credit crisis is truly behind us. People who booked to come here before the crisis hit may still have to come as its cheaper than cancelling. They will just spend less and not book a holiday for next year, nor the year after if the credit situation has not changed.

It also affects UK citizens living in Thailand and booking holidays. I was going to book a flight for my wife and me to go to Pucket from Pattaya Airport. The flight per person is around 7500 Baht with surcharges - that is around 150 pounds per ticket. A year ago this would have been around 120 pounds. So thats 300 pounds for two and we haven't even booked the hotel yet.

Couple this with the reduction in the savings rate from over 5 percent to below 3 percent on some of my UK cash savings (and the prospect of it going lower) and it just 'feels' like a bad time to be spending this cash on the trip. (is this the 'feelgood' factor???)

We could get a cheap flight from Bangkok, but I have decided to save the money. Go for a couple of days out in Pattaya instead. I am sure there are a lot of UK Expats thinking like me.

Edited by dsfbrit

Hi All

On reading this thread, I think most people feel the same and are spot on. I live here in Thailand and want to stay. But the currnt exchange rate is not helping. I am running out of usable funds in the bank, with the rate as it now is I'm not keen on trsnsfering sterling to baht.

Does anyone know Ms Phornsiri Manoharn's Email address. Maybe she should read this thread. It's not just about tourists is it? It also concerns Expats. I have freinds in the uk, who I would like to come and visit. Some who would like to come over are thinking again, not just because of the exchange, also because of the current economic climate back home. Oh well at least we have plenty of rice.

Cheers jb1

That's a staggering +1,35 % !

This is what we can call a "voluntarist and decisive target".

:o

Edited by cclub75