Thai Educated Us Cabinet Member / Treasure Secretary

Jingthing

In the midst of the global economic meltdown, US President elect Obama's choice for treasury secretary is much more important than is usual for a treasury secretary.

His pick: New York Federal Reserve Bank President Timothy J. Geithner

So far, the stock markets like this, very very much UP UP UP.

Mr. Geitner has lived in Thailand, apparently attended high school here and also studied Asian Studies at the BA and MA levels.

Geithner has an international background, having lived in East Africa, India, Thailand, China and Japan.

Good luck!

Markets

Nov 21; Market Close

DJIA 8,046.42 UP 494.13

NASDAQ 1,384.35 UP 68.23

S&P 500 800.03 UP 47.59

Edited by Jingthing

You are very welcome. (BTW, you must not read much!)

BTW, the global economic crisis does indeed impact Thailand, and most any other country you can mention. It is in the interest of the entire world that this crisis be addressed. I can't imagine very many people want to see another great depression.

I just thought it was interesting that this soon be very powerful man who will indeed impact Thailand has a real Thailand connection. Of course it doesn't mean that any of his actions will be micro-targeted to Thailand or countries like Thailand. I also understand he was very interested in the Tom Yum economic crisis which started in Thailand in the late 90's.

Edited by Jingthing

He's a graduate of International School of Bangkok (ISB) and has lived in several Asian countries.

Timothy F. Geithner became the ninth president and chief executive officer of the Federal Reserve Bank of New York on November 17, 2003. In that capacity, he serves as the vice chairman and a permanent member of the Federal Open Market Committee, the group responsible for formulating the nation's monetary policy.

Mr. Geithner joined the Department of Treasury in 1988 and worked in three administrations for five Secretaries of the Treasury in a variety of positions. He served as Under Secretary of the Treasury for International Affairs from 1999 to 2001 under Secretaries Robert Rubin and Lawrence Summers.

He was director of the Policy Development and Review Department at the International Monetary Fund from 2001 until 2003. Before joining the Treasury, Mr. Geithner worked for Kissinger Associates, Inc.

Mr. Geithner graduated from Dartmouth College with a bachelor’s degree in government and Asian studies in 1983 and from the Johns Hopkins School of Advanced International Studies with a master’s in International Economics and East Asian Studies in 1985. He has studied Japanese and Chinese and has lived in East Africa, India, Thailand, China, and Japan.

Mr. Geithner serves as chairman of the G-10’s Committee on Payment and Settlement Systems of the Bank for International Settlements. He is a member of the Council on Foreign Relations and the Group of Thirty.

He graduated from the International School in BKK.

Geithner was born in Brooklyn, New York City, to Mr. and Mrs. Peter F. Geithner of Larchmont, New York. He completed high school at International School Bangkok, Thailand,[1] and then attended Dartmouth College, graduating with a B.A. in government and Asian studies in 1983. After, he obtained an M.A. in International Economics and East Asian Studies from Johns Hopkins University's School of Advanced International Studies in 1985. He has studied Japanese and Chinese and has lived in East Africa, India, Thailand, China, and Japan.

Looks like he's an Asian expert.

Isn't the father the fellow that ran the Ford foundation in Asia and was instrumental in bringing in much appreciated development funding? If his father is the Peter Geithner, a receipient of the Royal Thai Government Order of the White Elephant, then the son person will have grown up with an exposure to Asian politics and economic policies that few US officials have experienced.

Thanks for the information.

It is such a small world. I was talking to my pharmacist in California, he is Korean, and it turns out that he graduated high school in Bangkok and lived in the same apartment building I did when I first got here!

And isn't ISB one of the very very top international schools in Thailand, whose graduates go on to Ivy League schools, such as Dartmouth?

He is an ISB alumni class of 1979, 4 years senior than me. Every year for the past couple of decades ISB runs PR ad on Bangkok post on the day of the commencement announcing names of all graduating students and the universities they will go on to study around the world, and true some of them are admitted to some top-notch universities but not everyone gets to go to Ivy Leagues or the like (including myself). And as far as I remember there were only two international schools back then in Bangkok when Timothy Geithner lived here anyway, ISB and RIS. There will be an ISB alumni reunion being planned in Virginia Beach and the alumni association is hoping he could somehow make it to the next reunion in 2010 as it's close to DC (he didn't attend this year's reunion in San Diego). His ISB year book photo can be viewed in alumni directory page of ISB network website.

Edited by Nordlys

He was actively involved in the US response to the Thai economic crisis in 1997:

Geithner also served as a Treasury undersecretary during the Clinton administration and helped respond to the Asian economic crisis in 1997.

Hopefully, he learned something! Help! Help! Help!