Thai Urban Legend - Large Gecko And Thin Snake

whiterussian

I could be onto a scoop here... :o

I remarked to a Thai friend here that i saw the biggest lizard ive seen in Thailand.. a large gecko about a foot long

flat_tailed_gecko_small.jpg

He told me that when these Geckos are about to die they make a loud strange sound... which...

attracts a small thin snake...

that goes into the Large gecko's open mouth and into its guts to extract the (liver?) of the dying Gecko, which is what is causing the Gecko to die in pain... The gecko then dies...

I laughed out loud, but then two other (hi-so) Thais nearby assured me it was 'jing jing''!

off course its a loud of rubbish, but would be interested if anyone else can get the same story from other Thais...

Edited by UKWEBPRO

Heard that one, even heard that another name for tokay is tup ge ตับ แก่ (old liver) because, when the tokay gets old, a snake comes and eats the old one.

But, I heard they regenerate a new one, so slightly different take on the story :o

There are a lot of strange beliefs in Thailand, like the giant Budha footprint at a temple near Lamphun. My wife and her famliy where not impressed that I did not believe it was real. Then there is the woman up the road who is supposed to be some kind of witch and changes into a bird to come and spy on everyone. The list goes on and on.

If one does look into the eyes of the most revered person, he dies immediately...

can't plant fragipani in a garden except in temples, cause it's the flower/tree of the dead....

if a Tuckay calls 7 or 11 times it will bring good luck...

Sprit houseskeep away evil...

A special amulet will prevent a bullet to enter ones body..

endless...BS

Edited by Samuian

I do honestly think that some of the stories told are taken for real, but most are a little like the bogey man and the closet monster, there for one or two reasons, well, originally one, scaring the heck out of the kids...... and now we have reason two, scaring the heck out of the strangers.

It's a tookay, it makes that noise when it is horny (ie. it's a mating call) when it is close to death, it probably makes the same noise as most other creatures.

The thin snake part probably comes from the fact that they have detachable tails.

Edited by Thaddeus

Thanks for the info! There goes my scoop for Nat Geo :o

If anyone would like to fund an expedition to capture this gecko/snake symbiotic relationship on HD film, please PM me. I have heard the neon lights of Pattaya attract the right species.

Not forgetting the thing they tell little babies here when they misbehave... "The Farangs will get you!"

Ive seen it in action, works like a charm.

I visited Africa quite a bit, they have the best myths. A friend of mine who later became a nurse in the UK, told me a man in her village was murdered.

BUT

As his coffin was lowered into the ground, the entire coffin jumped up, flew through the air, hitting the murderer miles away square on the head. killing him. She knew it was true, as she has seen it before.

There is also that funny story of a bearded hippy type guy that lets you join his gentlemans club when you die (if you pass the initiation), otherwise you have to work for an ex employee of his, flipping burgers for eternity.

Edited by UKWEBPRO

Then there is the woman up the road who is supposed to be some kind of witch and changes into a bird to come and spy on everyone.

They stole that one from Discworld - Granny Weatherwax's 'borrowing'.

I have no idea what granny weather wax is but this a old believe at least 4 generations old.

If one does look into the eyes of the most revered person, he dies immediately...

can't plant fragipani in a garden except in temples, cause it's the flower/tree of the dead....

endless...BS

I think that's a requirement to open a 7-11 shop.

endless...BS

I think that's a requirement to open a 7-11 shop.

:D something like that, if it calls on a sunday mornin' for sure! :o

but then, how about carrying the bride across the threshold?

kissing under the mystletoe...

the black cat crossing one's way..

plenty of this stuff around!

Urban Legend: If you hear a lizard or gecko's sound as you are leaving a house...Stay in the house otherwise something bad will happen (perhaps an accident)

Then when you stay in, and nothing happens, the Thais cite that as evidence of the belief :o

LOL just played your MP3 had my wife looking where it is :o

LOL, i just tried it gary!.. worked like a charm (using my most innocent of expressions)

"Oh, i dont want!. In our house. where?"

going to play it again now. And look behind the sofa im sitting on... tee hee

Edited by UKWEBPRO

I've been using the Tukkae as my mobile phone ring tone for some time now, got it from a friend who lives in Ban Chang, Rayong. It always gets people's attention. Glad to hear a few of you TV folks like it.

Thanks Blinky Bill, now I am known as Pee Baa after my wife worked out what was going on :o