window._taboola = window._taboola || []; _taboola.push({article:'auto'}); !function (e, f, u, i) { if (!document.getElementById(i)){ e.async = 1; e.src = u; e.id = i; f.parentNode.insertBefore(e, f); } }(document.createElement('script'), document.getElementsByTagName('script')[0], '//cdn.taboola.com/libtrc/aseannow/loader.js', 'tb_loader_script'); if(window.performance && typeof window.performance.mark == 'function') {window.performance.mark('tbl_ic');} Jump to content

Suvarnabhumi Airport Cancels All Flights As Protesters Surge Into Terminal

george

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A while ago someone reported that Thai TV channels were only showing soaps. Not true any longer. Not that I understand what they are reporting, but the word Suvarnabhumi is in just about every sentence, and footage is from inside the terminal. Could be from yesterday though or early this morning (lack of daylight outside it seems)

I've seen the protesters settling themselves down, like an orderly queue of people, mostly dressed in yellow 'T' shirts, so it's apparent that they are in it (for the time being) in it for the long haul.

I would only say, there appears to be no rule of law, no Police nor military to stop this demonstration in the main Airport servicing Thailand.

It's now reported that bombs have gone off, believed to be from opposing groups........ per BBC News

Latest update AP on Yahoo.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081126/ap_on_...4CWSkovIZZvaA8F

Demonstrators — some masked and armed with metal rods — had swarmed the international airport overnight, breaking through police lines and spilling into the passenger terminal.

"Our main concern is to get the first flight home and never come back," said newlywed Robert Grieve, 32,

Support for the alliance has been waning in recent weeks, and the group appeared to be edging toward bigger confrontations — involving fewer though more aggressive followers — in hopes of creating chaos.

"Now, they are openly creating instability and provoking a military coup," said Thitinan Pongsidhirak, a political scientist at Bangkok's Chulalongkorn University.

The anti-government protesters are mostly better educated, more affluent, urban Thais demanding that the country move away from a Western-style electoral system, which they say Thaksin exploited to buy votes. They instead favor a system in which some representatives are chosen by certain professions and social groups. They are vastly outnumbered by Thaksin's supporters in the rural majority :o

Latest report on BBC website does not bode well for Thailand and tourism !!!

"The incident has damaged Thailand's reputation and its economy beyond repair." One stranded tourist told the BBC: "I don't know what happened to my flight. They won't talk to us. I'm angry and sad, because I have two small children - they're sick, so we want to go home."

WELCOME TO AND FROM THE LAND OF SMILES XXX

george's link shows that only a couple of flights have been cancelled

This is the official information we are able to gather at this time:

http://www.thaivisa.com/bkk-departures.html

http://www.thaivisa.com/bkk-arrivals.html

Try to call your airline city office, or check their website.

HOW MANY MORE TIMES DO I HAVE TO SAY IT. I LIVE NEAR THE AIRPORT AND THERE ARE NO PLANES IN THE AIR.

i HAVE NOT HEARD 1 PLANE SINCE 7AM WHEN I WOKE UP. THE ONLY THING UP THERE ARE BIRDS AND CLOUDS.

Edited by Changkok

HOW MANY MORE TIMES DO I HAVE TO SAY IT. I LIVE NEAR THE AIRPORT AND THERE ARE NO PLANES IN THE AIR.

i HAVE NOT HEARD 1 PLANE SINCE 7AM WHEN I WOKE UP. THE ONLY THING UP THERE ARE BIRDS AND CLOUDS.

Why are you screaming like that? The links to which you refer do not show flights as having landed or departed. I see them all "scheduled" and if they don't leave by midnight they will remain "scheduled" for eternity until the airlines will finally cave in and list them as "cancelled"

--

Maestro

Dont want to get anyones hopes up, I was booked on UA flight to Tokyo at 6.20 this morning, it was reassigned to 11.30 tonight, I just had an email from UA asking that I call them, I did, they have now cancelled my flight today altogether, however they say they have been told the airport is going to clear of demonstrators at 6pm and reopen, and rebooked me on another flight 6.20am tomorrow. I was tld to call back again at 4.30pm to confirm status again. I then spoke to my wife in Japan who said it was just on Japan TV that the airport was expected t reopen at 4pm (thats 6pm here). Unfortunately I cannot give any other sources for confirmation.

Why are you screaming like that? The links to which you refer do not show flights as having landed or departed. I see them all "scheduled" and if they don't leave by midnight they will reamined "scheduled" for eternity until the airlines will finally cave in and list them as "cancelled"

--

Maestro

which is misinforming the poor guy who just came in from some remote place and is now trying to get RELEVANT information about his flight.

Dont want to get anyones hopes up, I was booked on UA flight to Tokyo at 6.20 this morning, it was reassigned to 11.30 tonight, I just had an email from UA asking that I call them, I did, they have now cancelled my flight today altogether, however they say they have been told the airport is going to clear of demonstrators at 6pm and reopen, and rebooked me on another flight 6.20am tomorrow. I was tld to call back again at 4.30pm to confirm status again. I then spoke to my wife in Japan who said it was just on Japan TV that the airport was expected t reopen at 4pm (thats 6pm here). Unfortunately I cannot give any other sources for confirmation.

Was that before or after they knew protesters were laying seige to the control tower? :o

Was that before or after they knew protesters were laying seige to the control tower? :o

It was at 12.45 midday today

As far as air travel goes all inbound flights are being diverted to Utapao which can certainly handle the traffic. Utapao is the former B52 Air Base down by Rayong on the coast and I suspect if you wish to leave Thailand by air this would be the place to go and try and get on board. One of my mates is in route as I write to pick up his Mum at Utapao as she is arriving from UK this afternoon so this inbound info is 100% correct. Can anyone confirm outbound flights out of Utapao? No need worry about disruptions down there as its a military base heavily secured.

Protesters storm Bangkok airport control tower - reports

Anti-government protesters stormed the control tower at Bangkok's main international airport on Wednesday, newspaper text messages to subscribers said.

The Bangkok Post said masked members of the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) invaded the control tower at Suvarnabhumi airport, a day after they stormed the main terminal, prompting airlines to cancel flights.

Source: Reuters - 26 November 2008

I was just watching a video on CNN with people brawling in the terminal. It has actually reduced me to tears. Its heartbreaking to watch the place just completely fall apart. It is INCREDIBLE that this can be allowed to happen. All the politics aside, this is a very sad day for me. Im sure many of you feel the same. I feel for those 'trapped' in the terminal, particularly those with young children.

When will the army or police act, its time to get these people out of the airport. Especially if they are now endangering lives by (allegedly) breaking into Air Traffic Control buildings. There are thousands of people in planes flying over thailand at any one moment... the PAD is jeopardising these people who have NOTHING to do with it.

Foreign community responds to situation in Thailand

Foreign media has continued to follow the situation here in Thailand, broadcasting the People's Alliance for Democracy rallies while several nations have warned their citizens of traveling to the Kingdom.

Both CNN and the BBC have kept up constant coverage of the current situation unfolding in Thailand and closely followed the seizure of Suvarnabhumi International Airport. BBC news has however highlighted the fact that Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat has excercised restraint in dealing with protesters, allowing them a degree of freedom and avoiding open conflict.

The Foriegn Ministry of Australia has issued an official warning through its website asking citizens to be wary of travel to Thailand due to its current state of unrest.

Source: National News Bureau of Thailand - 26 November 2008

Army Chief calls meeting to discuss national situation

The Army Commander in Chief has called a meeting between all internal security agencies and related business bodies to discuss a solution to the nation's current situation with a press conference planned to declare actions this evening (November 26).

Army Commander in Chief Gen Anupong Paochinda, acting as the Chairman of a committee overseeing the nation's situation, has called a meeting of all internal security agencies and related business bodies today at 2 PM at the Royal Thai Army Headquarters. The meeting is expected to evaluate the current situation involving mass protests by the anti-government People's Alliance for Democracy and discuss solutions to the impasse.

The Internal Security Operations Command (ISOC) has drafted a detailed report of the situation and possible solutions under the nation's Internal Security Act to be proposed to the Government through the Council for National Security.

A press conference will take place following the meeting today to address any questions and to declare proposed resolutions.

Source: National News Bureau of Thailand - 26 November 2008

I've just been to the official Suvarnabhumi Airport site: http://www.suvarnabhumiairport.com/ to check the flight arrivals and departures info. I was hoping to get some light why the Thai.visa connection doesn't display more than one or two cancelled flights and get the recent update on situation First Hand.

And guess what. The airport site doesn't even mention that it is closed. The most recent Latest News displayed is " Event about Variety of Lift in Suvarnabhumi Airport." whatever than means. Actually I clicked it to check.

How dettached from reality can one be??? This is LATEST NEWS from Suvarnabhumi!

By the way, I couldn't find any info about the flight Arrivals and Departures at this site either. Not even a copy of what's on ThaiVisa. Totally uselless site!

post-27011-1227679884_thumb.jpg

which is misinforming the poor guy who just came in from some remote place and is now trying to get RELEVANT information about his flight.

I agree that the flight status information given by TG and subsequently published on sites like www.thaivisa.com/bkk-departures.html and www.flightstats.com is totally inadequate and often misleading.

--

Maestro

I agree that the flight status information given by TG and subsequently published on sites like www.thaivisa.com/bkk-departures.html and www.flightstats.com is totally inadequate and often misleading.

--

Maestro

this may help some stranded pax:

go to checkmytrip.com, enter you flight details, reservation number and see if you have been rebooked or other. Works for tickets booked via the Amadeus system. Worth a try anyway.

This is indeed serious. Every airport security violation around the world is investigated by the US Federal Aviation Administration, and I would guess by the EU and others. Here is an example summary of reports:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0UBT/is_/ai_n26728968

Note that this includes "a young boy wandered past security into MNL's {Manila} secure area". I can't wait to see how they report a wild-eyed group of machete-waving madmen disabling BKK air traffic control. This is very serious business. For example, in the US there is a sign on the gates leading to the ATC radar antennae that says "Loss of human life may result from service interruption."

Why can't the people of Thailand get it into their heads that some things are not a joke? Not everything is mai bpen rai. PAD better pray to whoever they pray to that no jumbo jets have to be diverted to BKK for an emergency landing while this nonsense is going on.

Absolutely ridiculous.

-Atlas

CNN: Protesters have now taken over the control tower.....

Sorry if thats been mentioned before.

If thats the case they are not only disrupting flights into/out of SVB they are also endangering non Bangkok bound flights passing through Thai airspace, Co ordination of ATC with neighbouring countries. to list but a few.

What sort of country would allow that to happen...shocking.

Please stop posting off topic. There is nothing wrong with most of the posts that had to be deleted again since my last plea except that they don’t belong in this topic. It is a waist of time and effort for the posters. Put your posts about politics, Thaksin, etc. in the relevant other topics in News Clippings and General Topics.

--

Maestro

Several Bomb Attacks Rock Don Muang and Suvarnabhumi Airports

Grenade attacks have been launched against PAD protesters at both Suvarnabhumi and Don Muang airports earlier this morning, with six protesters and PAD guards injured.

Meanwhile, the police continue to investigate several grenade attacks across the capital.

At around 6.30 a.m., a number of unidentified men have shot a grenade against PAD protesters, who have been rallying at the entrance of the passenger terminal of the Suvarnabhumi International Airport.

Three PAD guards were injured in the attack.

About two hours prior to that, 3 explosions took place outside the passenger terminal as well, but no injuries were reported.

At the same time, a grenade attack was also launched against the PAD protesters, who have been rallying at the Don Muang Airport since Monday.

It is believed that the assailants have launched the attack from the tollway in front of the airport.

Three protesters were injured in the bomb attack, with one identified as 35-year-old Anan Treepetch, from Nakhon Sawan Province. Anan suffered cuts and lacerations from bomb shrapnel on his arms, legs and torso.

Meanwhile, police officers from the Dusit precinct along with the forensic team have collected evidence at the Dusit Bridge, as its surface was reportedly damaged by what's believed to be a grenade. They also retrieved a part of an M26 hand grenade from the bridge.

Eyewitnesses said they saw two male teenagers on a motorcycle passing by the bridge, before an explosion was heard.

The police reckoned that the incident was likely intended to stir up chaos in Bangkok.

And, two explosions were reported at around 4.30 a.m. at Vibhavadi Soi 3, before several gunshots were heard at Vibhavadi Soi 19.

Source: Thailand Outlook - 26 November 2008

Anupong's trump card for besieged Suvarnabhumi Airport

The People's Alliance for Democracy has stooped down to a nastiest move to lay siege on Suvarnabhumi Airport in order to unseat the Somchai Wongsawat government.

Its move is definitely unpopular and inflicts untold damage to the country although the PAD finally gets the undivided attention and gains a chokehold to topple Somchai.

After PAD-led protesters took control of the airport at 9.00 pm on Tuesday's night, frantic negotiations has been inconclusive.

The government is applying strong pressure on Army chief General Anupong Paochinda to intervene and clear protesters out of the airport. It wants to invoke the security law to empower Anupong to take charge of the crowd dispersal.

The PAD also wants Anupong to intervene but for an entirely different reason. It is trying to convince him to either stage a coup or throw his support to the opposition movement.

The government and the PAD both sees Anupong as having the trump card to decide the outcome of their fight.

Immediately after returning from Peru today at about 7.00 pm, Prime Minister Somchai will hold a face-to-face meeting with Anupong.

Anupong is expected to give his final answer on whether to assist the government to restore normalcy at the airport.

At this juncture, it uncertain what Anupong's stand really is. He still has half a day to review his options.

Based on his steadfast refusal to intervene in favour of the government, it is likely that he will not step in to ensure Somchai's survival.

The People Power Party is working hard in trying to replace Anupong. But it is making no headway. There is no shortage of ambitious generals willing the serve as a government's lackey. But the crucial question is whether it is possible to succeed Anupong's leadership and redirect the Army within short notice.

This leads to a dire scenario for Somchai. He may have no choice but to step down either by resigning or calling a snap election.

If the prime minister decides to cling to office regardless of dire consequences, then it is possible that by tomorrow the Democrats will resign their House seats en masse in order to force the House dissolution.

Somchai and his People Power Party are playing a high stake game to ensure survival as Anupong is about to show his trump card which can change the face of Thai politics.

Source: The Nation - 26 November 2008

Assuming I will not be able to go to Chiang Mai by plane with airasia tomorrow(so much for the first and only holiday to get out of bangkok in years for us) I am wondering how many people in the same situation have tried to buy train tickets instead and if so, what is the situation there? It is impossible to call the train station (always busy) and if someone knows the current situation at Hua Lamphong any info would be appreciated, probably there is utter chaos as well cuz of this but then again, who knows...

Basch

I contacted air asia this morning as my flight was cancelled and they offered other flights (when the airport opens) or a refund. I had to get to KL for a meeting so opted to try Nok Air from don meaung to hat yai and was then preparing to travel by coach, I paid 4200 baht for a business class seat one way as thats all that was left. i checked in nd then my meeting was postponed which means I will not fly, i am now back at home. Nok Air are refusing a refund.

you could try nok air from don meaung, this airport is still operational. This morning i looked at a coach to chang mai in the hope of flying to KL from there with air asia, however the price was double what it was from bangkok. the coach however from mo chit would have cost 580 baht and take 9 hours, it leaves at 9pm