Food Court At Top Of Royal Garden

Jingthing

OK, I am sure they have their reasons $$$$ BLIND STUPID GREED $$$$$ but the latest renovation of the food court at Royal Garden is a classic case of how to RUIN a good thing.

Remember the old el cheapo Royal Garden food court that was both a people watching parade and also a great place to get a variety of typical Thai food court foods for well under 100 Baht?

OK, that is long gone.

Then we get the upscale place on the top floor with lots of international options. Clearly for the tourists, but I was able to sometimes find decent meals there.

Now this! Check it out. They managed to make this even worse. Much fewer options. Prices all went up. They are mostly putting out samples of the actual food and hardly any of it looks very appetizing. I had a visit with my 1000 baht plastic card, examined all the wilted food samples (small portions, presentations screaming of TOURIST TRAP) and just walked out without eating anything.

The next time I check this out will be after the NEXT renovation because I predict this latest try will be a HUGE LOSER.

Don't get me wrong. In theory, an upscale food court in a Thai mall can be wonderful (for example the food court at the Zen central world, Central Chidlom, Emporium, etc.) but this example in Pattaya is just not. High hopes that the food options in the Central mall here will indeed rival the best of Bangkok. The Royal Garden's current incarnation deserves our disdain.

Edited by Jingthing

I haven't been there since the first incarnation which, as you say, was a good place for a pre/post movie snack and people watch. Doesn't sound like I'll be rushing back there anytime soon.

I only use Starbucks and the Japanese cheapo but excellent restaurant up there (can't remember its name). I agree, the new food court is rubbish.

I haven't been there since the first incarnation which, as you say, was a good place for a pre/post movie snack and people watch. Doesn't sound like I'll be rushing back there anytime soon.

I only use Starbucks and the Japanese cheapo but excellent restaurant up there (can't remember its name). I agree, the new food court is rubbish.

Oishi!

Have to agree, I used to eat at the 1st incarnation once or twice a week but following the initial change I tried it once and haven't returned. Don't think I'll be visiting again anytime soon on the basis or your recommendation(?)!! They sure know how to ruin a good thing!

A 1,000 baht plastic card at a food court in Pattaya, you have to be joking! 500 baht at Swampy is high, but 150 baht at the food court in Jungceylon in Patong is an OK fit. Actually, Baht 500 at the food court on the top floor of Central in Chidlom is OK too but that's Bangkok. Just think that Baht 1K at a food court anywhere in Thailand is far too high in terms of price/value.

A 1,000 baht plastic card at a food court in Pattaya, you have to be joking! 500 baht at Swampy is high, but 150 baht at the food court in Jungceylon in Patong is an OK fit. Actually, Baht 500 at the food court on the top floor of Central in Chidlom is OK too but that's Bangkok. Just think that Baht 1K at a food court anywhere in Thailand is far too high in terms of price/value.

It is only a payment system. You get a card when you enter for 1000 baht and you use it to spend at the stalls and pay on exit. TAX is added to your purchase, as if it isn't overpriced to begin with given the quality.

You don't pay money to get the card, its just a convenience. However, as a rule of thumb a typical meal there could easily be 400 baht if you went for main courses, drink, and desert.

There are a variety of Japanese chain places on the same level, different price points, and an S&P. They have nothing to do with the food court except for proximity.

Edited by Jingthing

It is only a payment system. You get a card when you enter for 1000 baht and you use it to spend at the stalls and pay on exit. TAX is added to your purchase, as if it isn't overpriced to begin with given the quality.

You don't pay money to get the card, its just a convenience. However, as a rule of thumb a typical meal there could easily be 400 baht if you went for main courses, drink, and desert.

There are a variety of Japanese chain places on the same level, different price points, and an S&P. They have nothing to do with the food court except for proximity.

I'm well aware of how the cash card system works Jingthing but the idea of putting 1k baht on a card in anticipation of what I might spend in a food court horrifies me, especially in a food court in Royal, Garden. Don't get me wrong, I'm most happy to spend much more than that at a good restaurant for good quality food/ambiance etc, but in a food court! Methinks Pattaya might be overstretching itself a tad at that level.

I agree. The new place is awful. The original set-up was great, I used to eat or snack there 3 or 4 times a week.

This Japanese place Oishi is it any good and what are the prices like?

It's a very popular Thai style Japanese ramen chain. Cheap prices. Its OK and worth their low price but I am not a fan. If you know and love REAL Japanese ramen, it doesn't satisfy.

Edited by Jingthing

Good topic. When I came back this last year I also found the new format distressing. Yes, classic example

of how to ruin a good thing. The "old" food court was affordable by everybody, I mean Thai employees in

the mall would eat there as well. Excellent selection also, if you wanted fried rice, got it. You want a kebab,

got it. Now, just a bunch of overpriced cr_p, and obviously, the place is usually empty. The 1,000B card

thing is ridiculous. It seems a very simple concept. If you have a major shopping area, then you need

a decent food court to go with it. How many major shopping areas in Pattaya do this? Maybe only one? :o

It was sh''e when it opened and it is still sh''e, if we are comparing "foodcourts" the one at Carrefour is by far the best, although the supermarket itself is sh''e, if only we could have Big C value, Tesco's range and Carrefour's food court...............???

I agree. The new place is awful. The original set-up was great, I used to eat or snack there 3 or 4 times a week.

This Japanese place Oishi is it any good and what are the prices like?

I've never tried the food at Oishi. I sat down there once, was ignored for about 10 minutes and walked out. Really bad service with bad attitudes. The menu wasn't that exciting either.

I gave up paying inflated prices for average food at the food court (2nd incarnation)...and then they raised the service charge from 5 to 10%. I don't appreciate paying a service charge in a food court. After reading this report I'll give the 3rd incarnation a miss too.

The Zen gets my hard earned dollars up there. Good service, good food and a pleasant seating environment.

Edited by tropo

It was sh''e when it opened and it is still sh''e, if we are comparing "foodcourts" the one at Carrefour is by far the best, although the supermarket itself is sh''e, if only we could have Big C value, Tesco's range and Carrefour's food court...............???

agreed the food court at Carrefour is the best in town - the only place we ever eat at in Royal Garden is the salad bar at Sizzler on the forst floor - good variety at a fair price ( 139 baht)

Agree with all that's been said above. I don't see why no one has been able to re-create one of the prepared food-courts cum supermarket ala Central Chidlom's basement market or the same at the Emporium in Bangkok. Yes, I know it's a much smaller (and less cash-rich) market so I wouldn't expect anything as elaborate but some mini-version is certainly viable.

I just returned from a few days in the Big Mango and on my last day, brought down with me a couple bags full of prepared dishes and sweets from the Emporium Marketplace. Many of the Asian meat/rice dishes were not expensive (B 70-80) and were very tasty and full meal size. I can only second the opinion that hopefully the new Central Mall will have such a food shoppe when they open (man the place is really coming along...looks like maybe finished in 3-4 months) :o

Have to agree with OP. Pure greed. Why is it that we know the names of politicians,

bankers, ceos etc.. but these twits are allowed to hide behind their anonymity?

Why is there no honest reporting here?(Pattaya people is little more than a vehicle

for advertisers)

I have seen the same thing happen sadly in many parts of the world though.

It's true Bangkok has Chitlom. But recently the Emporium saw the same nonsense as here.

Only healthy competition and spreading of awareness can keep any semblance of quality.

Let's hope the new Central on Beach will give us that :o

Call me an angry old man....

Edited by BugJackBaron

Agree on all of the above and actually stopped going there a few years ago when I noticed that despite the pricing being the same for locals and foreigners, the portion sizes were certainly not!!! Obviously an attempt to leave the farang hungry so they have to spend more!!! TIT :o

Hi,

I agree that the original Royal Garden food court was a great place.

I have stopped to eat there since the previous renovation.

I do like the Carrefour food court

and the small one of Tops in the 0-level of Tukcom.

About Japanese places, the restaurant in Big C-South Road

(forgot name. Restaurant with green bamboos)

is very good and a lot of less expensive than the same one in Big C-2nd Road.

about 500-800 baht a meal for 2 people.

Pattaya46

Totally agree. New renovation is crap crap and more crap. Previous version was quite fine. OK food, ok prices and a good view. I would mosey over there 2 or 3 times a week for a meal, and my sudoku puzzle. Now, It is just ugly. Who bankrolls this job? My feeling is Russians did.

Between the PAD mess and this, weird things are happening on this trip here!

I agree, The old Royal Garden food court was great. I never ate there since they renovated it. I walked up there, looked around, and came straight back down. The place was empty. It used to be full before renovation... Carrefour food court is much better. Look forward to seeing what the new Central mall has to offer!

About Japanese places, the restaurant in Big C-South Road

(forgot name. Restaurant with green bamboos)

is very good and a lot of less expensive than the same one in Big C-2nd Road.

about 500-800 baht a meal for 2 people.

Pattaya46

Are you talking about the Fuji chain of restaurants. They have 3: Big C - south rd, Big C - 2nd rd and Carrefour. The menu and prices are identical.

> Are you talking about the Fuji chain of restaurants

yes, thanks.

> The menu are identical.

yes

> The prices are identical.

no

The one on South rd/Sukumvit is cheaper,

at least for what we use to eat with my friends.

> Are you talking about the Fuji chain of restaurants

yes, thanks.

> The menu are identical.

yes

> The prices are identical.

no

The one on South rd/Sukumvit is cheaper,

at least for what we use to eat with my friends.

All Fuji restaurants are 100% all the same price. There are none cheaper than others.

All Fuji restaurants are 100% all the same price. There are none cheaper than others.

Ok Ok

Maybe you are right. :o

We only go in the one of South road for more than 1 year

but I will try to verify next time I go in the one on Second road.

Just to add my voice to the rest, that location was dire about a year ago we went to see a movie and get something before the start. very over priced - bland with very very bad service.

Staff didn't give a rats S4*t about anything.

Had the feeling of being processed through till gates watched over by security staff to ensure they milked every last satang from you before being allowed to leave.

These days I only use the free parking in the basement - getting a stamp at a helpful shop.... :o

As the OP did, looked around at the over priced cr*p, handed back the empty card & walked out.

Used to be good, reasonably priced (given the view outside) with good variety of food available.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

We then went the tried & trusted Malee restaurant (Soi Honey Inn) with good food at very reasonably priced AND comfy chairs!

GF had remembered the price of a particular dish at RG & noticed the same thing, with larger portion, was just half the price!