Should Pm Somchai Step Down?

Jingthing

Should PM Somchai step down?  

113 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This The Most Sensible Thead I've seen gathered in a long while!(Did'nt bother to include quotes from the "Sensless Minority"!

Thank Bhudda There are minds like Yous!!PEACE!

post-64091-1227944395_thumb.jpg

Looks like the cartoon is about the growing hostility to Thaksin in 2005-06. It includes Snoh and the Wang Nam Yen faction (now Pracharaj and part of the coalition) and other opponents.

In a mature Westminster-type democracy, if the governing party leader is losing popular support he/she is challenged within the party, but the party itself retains its mandate even if the leader changes. In Thailand everything depends on the leader. The party stands or falls by him.

Somchai is not the problem, even though he's in thrall to the Shinawatra clan. The problem is the whole government and PPP. They are simply minions of Thaksin.

In calling for the resignation of Somchai, PAD are not simply asking PPP to elect a new leader. They are asking the PPP government to dissolve the House and call fresh elections. This is not, in fact, PAD's overarching goal, which is a partly appointed form of administration, but is a short-term measure.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If he steps down the terrorists win!

Exactly!

Wrong, those with adequate education and business acumen wins, not the riff raff who are endemically stupid, together with their farang sympathisers obviously

Those with adequate education and business acumen should never be allowed to post a comment such as the one above (highlighted in red, for those that have no education)

It seems that you believe that the majority is not worthy of a vote. So Thailand should let the minority dictate the running of the country by terroist measures to try to grasp power for a currupt outdated social elite.

The airport episode. Hardly the actions of the so called adequatly educated business minded. Especially as these events have and will cripple the economy. Do you think perhaps there is something else at play here?

The problem is simple; The old school rich elite are afraid of losing currupt power to an emerging working class, albeit also currupt. They have seen the shift of one school of curruption to another.

The answer is not simple.

But in a democracy the people will keep turning to Mr T, in any fom of disguise. For better or worse. He has helped the majority of Thai voters. And they know this.

Edited by Geekfreaklover

A decent man would have never accepted the post.

Huh?

"Post" - not the stuff you get through your door - a position of work, and in this case, Prime Ministership.

P.S. If you can spell cataclysmic, can't see why you'd struggle understanding "Post"!

Your misread of my intent is indeed convenient ..

Perhaps you can also respond to the catchword "decent"? That would seem to indicate that any person accepting the "post" in question cannot be decent.

P.S. I didn't use "cataclysmic" in a "post" today. :o

I didn't misread. You quoted one line of what i had said and responded with "huh"? I was simply trying to understand what it was you couldn't understand about a straightforward statement. Maybe next time you could explain yourself more clearly than "huh", and then we wouldn't have this problem.

As for decent... where you got the idea that i think that anyone who accepts a post can't be decent, i really have no idea. I made it clear that Somchai was not decent to have accepted the post because of his close ties with Thaksin and the consequences this would obviously have.

This The Most Sensible Thead I've seen gathered in a long while!(Did'nt bother to include quotes from the "Sensless Minority"!

Looks like the cartoon is about the growing hostility to Thaksin in 2005-06. It includes Snoh and the Wang Nam Yen faction (now Pracharaj and part of the coalition) and other opponents.

In a mature Westminster-type democracy, if the governing party leader is losing popular support he/she is challenged within the party, but the party itself retains its mandate even if the leader changes. In Thailand everything depends on the leader. The party stands or falls by him.

Somchai is not the problem, even though he's in thrall to the Shinawatra clan. The problem is the whole government and PPP. They are simply minions of Thaksin.

In calling for the resignation of Somchai, PAD are not simply asking PPP to elect a new leader. They are asking the PPP government to dissolve the House and call fresh elections. This is not, in fact, PAD's overarching goal, which is a partly appointed form of administration, but is a short-term measure.

A "Westminster-type democracy" is called a "Parlimentary Democracy with Proportional Representation"! The PPP nor Somchai have

Lost "popular Support"The Fact is They enjoy an Overwhelming Majority of Support.Twice! It would'nt matter what they called thier Party or which they were in, because they represent an ideology called "Democracy".

A Minority of Disgruntled citizens have been used by a "Corrupt Bankrupt Media Mogul" and an Ex Army General responsible for the Deaths of MANY students and By the Way DEMONSRATORS in 1992.This to Take Power, Stop Democracy,and make Billions.Handing a "Partial" right to a Partial vote, to The Priviledged and Rich in society. Stinks of CCP (China),Tat Madaw (Burma),

and a few other I am to tired to mention.

This ,the elloquently written meaning You seem to grapple with "In a mature Westminster-type democracy, if the governing party leader is losing popular support he/she is challenged within the party, but the party itself retains its mandate even if the leader changes"This would be called "Impeachment" ,Nixon 1970's and Clinton of more recent dishonor.No a total Change of a Party Elect, as is such the case at hand,is very rare and highly unusual in thriving Democracies.

We must talk of a Parlimentary Vote of "Non Confidi" No confidence.(To Remove a Party Elect) You see all democracies have very simple,easy to understand rules and principles in thier root form. But When the Greedy or Power Crazed begin to get involved, often they "Rewrite things to serve a selfish or individual need.This is Called " The Perversion" of Democracy.

(While the Principles and judiciary support for such a scenarios are in tact in all Mature Democracies.This too is a very rare occurance in most Democracies.)

As for Your anology of My Picture Posting You are wrong! It is an illustration from the end of 2007.If You look Closely You can see that.

The meaning is that "Same Game again as the one Thaksin underwent". But in the illustration it was Samak's turn. And Now AGAIN for Democracy to get out?!

I hope you Remember PM Panomyong , and Ajan Puy Ung Papon 6 oct 2519 (1973)and (Now PAD joint leader Chamlong 1992! Read the Histories and understand that unless We learn from the past, "History will repeat itself"!

Khap Khun hyaleng mai kuy yim!

Peace Out!

post-64091-1227950459_thumb.jpg

A "Westminster-type democracy" is called a "Parlimentary Democracy with Proportional Representation"! The PPP nor Somchai have

Lost "popular Support"The Fact is They enjoy an Overwhelming Majority of Support.Twice! It would'nt matter what they called thier Party or which they were in, because they represent an ideology called "Democracy".

A Minority of Disgruntled citizens have been used by a "Corrupt Bankrupt Media Mogul" and an Ex Army General responsible for the Deaths of MANY students and By the Way DEMONSRATORS in 1992.This to Take Power, Stop Democracy,and make Billions.Handing a "Partial" right to a Partial vote, to The Priviledged and Rich in society. Stinks of CCP (China),Tat Madaw (Burma),

and a few other I am to tired to mention.

This ,the elloquently written meaning You seem to grapple with "In a mature Westminster-type democracy, if the governing party leader is losing popular support he/she is challenged within the party, but the party itself retains its mandate even if the leader changes"This would be called "Impeachment" ,Nixon 1970's and Clinton of more recent dishonor.No a total Change of a Party Elect, as is such the case at hand,is very rare and highly unusual in thriving Democracies.

We must talk of a Parlimentary Vote of "Non Confidi" No confidence.(To Remove a Party Elect) You see all democracies have very simple,easy to understand rules and principles in thier root form. But When the Greedy or Power Crazed begin to get involved, often they "Rewrite things to serve a selfish or individual need.This is Called " The Perversion" of Democracy.

(While the Principles and judiciary support for such a scenarios are in tact in all Mature Democracies.This too is a very rare occurance in most Democracies.)

As for Your anology of My Picture Posting You are wrong! It is an illustration from the end of 2007.If You look Closely You can see that.

The meaning is that "Same Game again as the one Thaksin underwent". But in the illustration it was Samak's turn. And Now AGAIN for Democracy to get out?!

I hope you Remember PM Panomyong , and Ajan Puy Ung Papon 6 oct 2519 (1973)and (Now PAD joint leader Chamlong 1992! Read the Histories and understand that unless We learn from the past, "History will repeat itself"!

Khap Khun hyaleng mai kuy yim!

Peace Out!

I suppose ignorance reigns in this forum still. A "Westminster-type democracy" is called a "Parlimentary Democracy with Proportional Representation"! don't be stupid, there is no proportional representation in Westminster i.e. the UK. You from Belgium, USA or Ireland perhaps ? Another load of drivel by the politically ignorant.

Edited by esprit

and again you are putting out inaccurate statements HS

the PPP does not have (nor has it ever had) Overwhelming Majority of Support. They had to form a coalition government (with parties that promised NOT to form a gov't with the PPP) and in fact got fewer votes than the Democrats.

Again, to have an 'intellectual discussion' requires that people not claim falsehoods as facts!

Exactly!

Wrong, those with adequate education and business acumen wins, not the riff raff who are endemically stupid, together with their farang sympathisers obviously

Unbelievably arrogant and racist.

Bring on the ARYA party in the next elections - no voters permitted north of Korat (unless they have a degree). <deleted>, goodbye democracy.

Even an uneducated vote is better than no vote at all.

You have just proven my point that the riff raff are endemically stupid, many thanks.

Exactly!

Unbelievably arrogant and racist.

Bring on the ARYA party in the next elections - no voters permitted north of Korat (unless they have a degree). <deleted>, goodbye democracy.

Even an uneducated vote is better than no vote at all.

You have just proven my point that the riff raff are endemically stupid, many thanks.

Hmmmmm.

Edited by Geekfreaklover

Did he do anything wrong? :o

Did he do ANYTHING at all?????? :D

His biggest mistake was marrying into the square face family.

lol

He's part of a party scheduled for dissolution, that has been found guilty by the EC of election fraud, he illegally allowed a criminal to address a gathering at a state owned venue on a state owned media channel, He's been trying to illegally change the constitution, he got involved in the crackdown on Oct 7th that killed unarmed civilians... should I go on?

Something has GOT to give. Should it be PM Somchai?

No, he should call for an election. PAD would boycott it of course, and Somchai would win, and probably the whole cylce will repeat itself. But after a few cycles of that even the most "liberal" of PAD supporting farang's might start to think that the Thais have the right to be governed by whoever they vote in, even if it's not a liberal.

Edited by OriginalPoster

No, he should call for an election. PAD would boycott it of course, and he would win, and probably the whole cylce will repeat itself. But after a few cycles of that even the most "liberal" of PAD supporting farang's might start to think that the Thais have the right to be governed by whoever they vote in, even if it's not a liberal.

"PAD would boycott it of course" ---- How long have you been posting that you would now know that

_______ The PAD is NOT a political Party ______

They do not run for office :o

BTW ----- what makes you think that the PAD is liberal?

Edited by jdinasia

No, he should call for an election. PAD would boycott it of course, and he would win, and probably the whole cylce will repeat itself. But after a few cycles of that even the most "liberal" of PAD supporting farang's might start to think that the Thais have the right to be governed by whoever they vote in, even if it's not a liberal.

"PAD would boycott it of course" ---- How long have you been posting that you would now know that

_______ The PAD is NOT a political Party ______

They do not run for office :o

I did not say that PAD was a political party.

Competency is not the issue. He is the leader of a country facing an insurgency, but has no effective control of the military. A military that is independent from the executive branch of government is a joke.

The military is following the instructions (no violence) set by the head of the armed forces: That's the King, and not the Prime Minister as many people imagine.

Do you think he's competent to run the country? There's your answer.

He is, and he's a decent man

A decent man would have never accepted the post. He's closely related to a man who has divided the country and who now happens to be a criminal on the run. It was obvious from the offset that having another Shin family member leading the country was going to take us down an ugly path - he knew that, we all knew that. He never took the post to help the nation, he took the post to try and help his brother-in-law. What decent man does something so small-minded and selfish?

he is a blind money ars*** he had nothing else to talk about when coming back from peru, then about to build dust free streets, to a crowd (the whole country) who is just ahead of a civil war. He must be a seflish idiot like his brother in law! Because the PPP has a lot of support in the country! Not my one but still better then what is in the tube with Chamlong and Songhi! Faschism pure! Hidding behind the monarchie colors to blind the people!

Yes, he should step down. Right enough, the party was democratically elected, BUT with bought votes!!

We are just going in circles here talking about it.

In Thailand every political party buys votes, every protest movement pays protestors to protest. Period.

apparently you are working from some very very inaccurate information!

Yes, he should step down. Right enough, the party was democratically elected, BUT with bought votes!!

all are buying votes so it does not matter at all!!! Still they vote whom they belive, they are not so idiots as the PAD leaders want to blame them!!

We are just going in circles here talking about it.

In Thailand every political party buys votes, every protest movement pays protestors to protest. Period.

apparently you are working from some very very inaccurate information!

Naturally there are no sources available to confirm or deny this statement.

I am simply going on information provided by the Thai people, both Bangkok and North Eestern, I have spoken to over a number of years, who are quite open to discuss the topic. They have told me that they have been offered a certain amount of money to vote one way or the other. They are also offered money to join political rallies or demonstrations - such as the one we have now. Please don't attempt to deny this happens.

This has been going on for years and will continue to do so.

Edited by Geekfreaklover

Naturally there are no sources available to confirm or deny this statement.

I am simply going on information provided by the Thai people, both Bangkok and North Eestern, I have spoken to over a number of years, who are quite open to discuss the topic. They have told me that they have been offered a certain amount of money to vote one way or the other. They are also offered money to join political rallies or demonstrations - such as the one we have now. Please don't attempt to deny this happens.

This has been going on for years and will continue to do so.

Of course. :o

Yes, he should step down, and for 1 simple reason.

He doesn't have the best interests of the country at heart. He is fighting only for himself and his brother in law.

Despite the rhetoric some people spew on this board, democracy is not a panacea for all that is bad with the world. Hitler was elected. Saddam Hussein was elected. If I promise free drugs to an electorate of crack heads, I can be elected.

Give me a benevolent dictator any day over a "democracy". This madness has to stop. I just want 1 Thai leader who actually cares about the people more than himself. I can only think of one person who fits that bill, and sadly he is much too wise to consider jumping into this quagmire.

Luckily, Chamlong has stated they will not run this protest beyond the celebrations on the 5th. Let's hope we can get through another week of this with minimal damage.

Exactly!

Pad is not a terrorist organization. However, they have crossed a line into very radical tactics and that is now part of the problem.

They're not terrorists, no. They aren't holding a large number of hostages and threatening to kill them if the government doesn't capitulate. No, they are simply petty extortionists. And the current government is no better in this regard.

Don't give any of them more credit than they deserve.

Here's the proof they are not terrorists. George Bush is still the US president. His government didn't call them terrorists, he just told them to leave the airport. Thats the one thing George Bush has done well, call people terrorists, and he missed this opportunity why exactly?

Here's the proof they are not terrorists. George Bush is still the US president. His government didn't call them terrorists, he just told them to leave the airport. Thats the one thing George Bush has done well, call people terrorists, and he missed this opportunity why exactly?

Why? - Long standing trade agreements and intelligence cooperatives between the two countries.

Why? - Long standing trade agreements and intelligence cooperatives between the two countries.

Same as many other countries with terrorist organizations that the US has no problem labeling as terrorists. Look at the news in Mumbai for a definition of REAL terrorism. Why cheapen the word?