Stupid Question

Pakeha

Ok. I've been using this site for some time now. Love it! Keeps me in touch with the lucky few living in Thailand while I'm away and the community is very helpful with advice / feedback / sarcastic ranting...

But, I do not really understand how to use the site. I thought I would work it out eventually but no... it seems I am either missing something or it takes over 1000 posts to work it out.

Can anyone point me to an instructions page? If not maybe this can turn into the 'thaivisa for dummies' post!

Thanks SBK. That probably answers my question... :o

Any chance this can be removed before I'm anihilated with criticism? Oh well, bring on the wise cracks people...

Byoung2, don't feel lonely...I too needed some help understanding how to use TV Forum and it was indeed quickly granted by the support folks. But you'll just have to get used to all the sarcastic types out there who seem to have nothing better to do. They and their ilk seem to infest the forum users and you'll have to wade through pages of BS to get the core answers you need on most issues.

Any chance this can be removed before I'm anihilated with criticism? Oh well, bring on the wise cracks people...

Not a chance !

Suck it up buttercup ! :D (Lesson #1: Always use smilies, otherwise people will think you are joking !)

(ps: anything in particular you wanted to do and needed help with ?)

But you'll just have to get used to all the sarcastic types out there who seem to have nothing better to do.

P.gif

No, you are !

Oh wait, I am. If I think, therefore am I am ?

(Lesson #2: If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullsh*t !) :D (obligatory smiley for effect)

Byoung2, don't feel lonely...I too needed some help understanding how to use TV Forum and it was indeed quickly granted by the support folks. But you'll just have to get used to all the sarcastic types out there who seem to have nothing better to do. They and their ilk seem to infest the forum users and you'll have to wade through pages of BS to get the core answers you need on most issues.

Cheers skyman. There does seem to be plenty of people willing to help. Not quite as many that like to offer the sarcastic BS of course... But all comments are welcome. I'm a big boy and can handle the digs. I'm actually envious - wish I had as much time on my hands as they do.

byoung2 - not a bad query tbh.

I don't post frequently, but have been a member since close to the start and have watched this forum grow from only a few members - the number of members on the forum is mind boggling now.

One thing I notice - especially when there is some current event with hundreds of posts in a short period of time (eg the events of the last week or so with the airports being blockaded) is that there a lot of posters who haven't grasped the basics of replying to a topic.

Two things from this which are a slight annoyance:

1. Posters who click 'reply' to a post which already has a large number of previously nested replies - thereby quoting all of the previous quotes again (chewing up space with repeated quotes, instead of quoting the relevant excerpt and editing out the rest)

2. Posters who try to edit the previous nested quotes and stuff it up - so that the previous quotes aren't highlighted, and you have to try and work out what belongs to the new post and what doesn't - lots of [[ quote]blah blah which are out of whack

Does this make sense?

If there was to be an idiots guide to the forum - the 2 above points would be first on my list in the instruction manual.

Spelling & grammar used to get me riled, but I'm well aware that a lot of my fellow members are not native English speakers... anyone who has a crack at posting in English, when English isn't their language, gets my respect for having a go.

Not sure what in particular you were trying to work out in terms of learning how to use the site byoung2 - but there's my two cents worth. Good luck to you. By no means a stupid question.

Edited by SeaVisionBurma

Thanks seavisionburma. I was guilty of the quoting issue originally also, not knowing how to post! Maybe there should be a 2 minute training session when people sign up.

Now I've discovered the forum help I'm getting better. I still can't work out how to bring up a list of only the topics I'm interested in though... I've put up another topic to try and resolve this.

This is probably an "idiots" solution. When I am interested keeping up with a topic, whether I posted in it or not, I add it to my "Favorites". I created a folder called "Thai Visa" in the links portion of my browser. I clean it up every so often and get rid of finished topics. Pretty lame but simple way to go to the threads I am interested in.

May be an 'idiots' solution track61 - but sounds a lot faster and more effective than my current method...... don't ask.

Can you get things changed / upgraded on TV or is what you see what you get?

Surely this would be a function that most TV members who are frequent users would be interested in.