Translation Of New 15 Day Exempt Entry Rule

I looked at the new immigration rule on exempt entry at it reads as follows:

"A person holding a passport or other paper instead of a passport that has a citizenship that the Minister of State decreed in agreement with the Board of Ministers to let come into the Kingdom for a temporary period in order to tour according to the law and ordinances methodology and conditions of examination as "exempt" and to change the type of examination giving a stamp (year of) 2545 (day of) 16 of August (year of) 2545 Article 13)3) gives permission to enter the Kingom many times with a permision to stay in the Kingdom each time not more than 30 days counting from the day of entry into the Kingdom except that for an entry into the Kingdom by way of entry from a neighboring country the permission granted to stay in the Kingdom each time will not exceed 15 day counting from the day of entry into the Kingdom."

So it seems that if you are eligible for a 30-day exempt entry, you will only get it if you enter from a "non-neighboring country". If entering from a neighboring country you will only get a 15 day exempt entry.

One other thing, the 90 day total allowed in six months has been dropped from the new ruling as it is currently posted. So it (hopefully) seems that particular rule is gone.

Edited by mojaco

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the translation :o

So what do I get if I FLY from Malaysia, 15 days??

The rule change applies to those "entering Thailand from a port of entry from a neighboring country". I don't know it this applies to flying in or just to land points of entry. It will take someone's actual experience to see what happens flying in from a neighboring country.

Sorry if I've misunderstood here. Does this mean that anyone on a 30 day tourist exemption (stamp on arrival) will only get 15 days if they do a border-run via a land border, eg to Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia and Malaysia??

Simon

Edited by simon43

Sorry if I've misunderstood here. Does this mean that anyone on a 30 day tourist exemption (stamp on arrival) will only get 15 days if they do a border-run via a land border, eg to Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia and Malaysia??

That's how it seems to be being applied :o

I looked at the new immigration rule on exempt entry at it reads as follows:

"A person holding a passport or other paper instead of a passport that has a citizenship that the Minister of State decreed in agreement with the Board of Ministers to let com into the Kingdom for a temporary period in order to tour according to the law and ordinances methodology and conditions of examination as "exempt" and to change the type of examination giving a stamp (year of) 2545 (day of) 16 of August (year of) 2545 Article 13)3) gives permission to enter the Kingom many times with a permision to stay in the Kingdom each time not more than 30 days counting from the day of entry into the Kingdom except that for an entry into the Kingdom by way of entry from a neighboring country the permission granted to stay in the Kingdom each time will not exceed 15 day counting from the day of entry into the Kingdom."

So it seems that if you are eligible for a 30-day exempt entry, you will only get it if you enter from a "non-neighboring country". If entering from a neighboring country you will only get a 15 day exempt entry.

So Overland OR by flight from Phnom Penh may only have a 15 day allowance now.

Yet another thing to stuff up our well planned and booked three month trip in Thailand and Cambodia.

We were due to fly BKK to Phnom Penh on 5th December, returning on 5th January, but our flight is cancelled so we face the ordeal of overland travel :o .

And only 15 days transit allowance now :D but our flight back to the Philippines is at the end of January :P .

We planned three weeks in ChiangMai before flying back to the Philippines, But we cannot do that now :D

Better to cancel our return to Bangkok :D ,stay in Cambodia for 3 weeks extra :burp: , bin our return BKK ticket to the Philippines :D , and fly back via Kuala Lumpur instead :jerk: .

Well, Goodbye Thailand :wai: , not so much Good about it this time though.

I think its too early to say whether fly ins will be effected. If fly ins are effected, will other Asean countries like Singapore and Vietnam be considered neighboring, or does a physical border need to be shared?

Edited by Jingthing

A recent post stated that the visa-runner only got 15 days at Andaman Club (Myanmar), so the rule does seem to be true.

What on earth is the reason for this new rule? Just to cause more hassle/expense for land-border visa-runners??

Seems pretty crazy to me - very frustrating.

Simon

A recent post stated that the visa-runner only got 15 days at Andaman Club (Myanmar), so the rule does seem to be true.

What on earth is the reason for this new rule? Just to cause more hassle/expense for land-border visa-runners??

Simon

Yes, but I don't think we have any info as yet about people flying in from neighboring countries. Could be the closed airports slowing this down ...

I think its too early to say whether fly ins will be effected. If fly ins are effected, will other Asean countries like Singapore and Vietnam be considered neighboring, or does a physical border need to be shared?

The way it reads is for those coming in from a country "whose border adjoins Thailand". So on the surface Singapore and Vietnam should be OK.

It seems not to be aimed at tourists, but at people living in Thailand without a proper visa. Seems they want to make it more difficult for them. They are the target.

I agree. I looks like they have given up on the 90 day/six month rule and are trying a different way to discourage it.

It seems not to be aimed at tourists, but at people living in Thailand without a proper visa. Seems they want to make it more difficult for them. They are the target.

I agree. I looks like they have given up on the 90 day/six month rule and are trying a different way to discourage it.

This method is a lot less hassle for immigration officials than counting up to 90 days on their fingers while thumbing through somebody's passport, i.e. "if you wanna keep running to the border every fifteen days for a new entry stamp, knock yourself out".

But people have enough difficulty with that already, due to the 90 day in 6 month limits, right.

We have pre booked tickets, and I checked the visa free allowance for UK / PH nationals before booking any of our flights.

We are here on holiday, and this is just one more thing scheduled to mess up our plans.

But people have enough difficulty with that already, due to the 90 day in 6 month limits, right.

We have pre booked tickets, and I checked the visa free allowance for UK / PH nationals before booking any of our flights.

We are here on holiday, and this is just one more thing scheduled to mess up our plans.

Yes sounds like you got the raw end of the stick, why didnt you buy a visa before leaving home?, you could of had 60 days without the need of crossing a border (90 even, if you wanted to apply in Bkk for the extension) then you could of moved onto other parts of asia?? Things are changing all the time, everywhere, you could take these issues up with the border guys....but i dont like your chances. Maybe your airline will make the necessary changes for you ???

Agreed, but suppose somebody came on holiday intending to stay a month in Thailand on a visa waiver, say spent a week in Thailand, then travelled to Cambodia to see Angkor for a couple of days and travelled back to Thailand, they would only be given 15 days in country, therefore it would be costing them more money and aggravation to get the last week or so of their holiday in Thailand,

So not very tourist friendly either in my opinion, certainly to those who use Thailand as a base and visit neighboring countries....

Suppose the upside is, if the 90 day in 6 month rule is gone, they could be saying, you can stay as long as you want in Thailand on visa waivers, but its going to cost you time, money and aggravation, you either go over a land border every two weeks to stay or get on plan and fly to a "Non-Neighbouring" country every month......

So Overland OR by flight from Phnom Penh may only have a 15 day allowance now.

Yet another thing to stuff up our well planned and booked three month trip in Thailand and Cambodia.

We were due to fly BKK to Phnom Penh on 5th December, returning on 5th January, but our flight is cancelled so we face the ordeal of overland travel :o .

And only 15 days transit allowance now :D but our flight back to the Philippines is at the end of January :P .

We planned three weeks in ChiangMai before flying back to the Philippines, But we cannot do that now :D Better to cancel our return to Bangkok :D ,stay in Cambodia for 3 weeks extra :burp: , bin our return BKK ticket to the Philippines :D , and fly back via Kuala Lumpur instead :jerk: .

Well, Goodbye Thailand :wai: , not so much Good about it this time though.

Go to the Thai consualte in Phnom Penh while you are there and get a 60 day tourist visa.

Simon

Could it be the hand of Taksin?

Revange...

Or am I reading too much about conspiracy theories?

If you define a tourist as a "short term" visitor to a country for "holiday", an exemption stamp shorter than the old 1 month would seem to make sense.

3-weeks or 21 days would be more appropriate than 15 days though...

As for the Thaksin theory... oh brother, another one of you folks. :o

Edited by junkofdavid2

Simon

Could it be the hand of Taksin?

Revange...

Or am I reading too much about conspiracy theories?

Reading too many conspiracy theories.. :o

If Toxic had a hand in this, they would be d*cking with the visa's as well... making harder for long term farangs to live here on married, retirement or working permissions to stay...

Agreed, but suppose somebody came on holiday intending to stay a month in Thailand on a visa waiver, say spent a week in Thailand, then travelled to Cambodia to see Angkor for a couple of days and travelled back to Thailand, they would only be given 15 days in country, therefore it would be costing them more money and aggravation to get the last week or so of their holiday in Thailand,

So not very tourist friendly either in my opinion, certainly to those who use Thailand as a base and visit neighboring countries....

Suppose the upside is, if the 90 day in 6 month rule is gone, they could be saying, you can stay as long as you want in Thailand on visa waivers, but its going to cost you time, money and aggravation, you either go over a land border every two weeks to stay or get on plan and fly to a "Non-Neighbouring" country every month......

suppose someone come to Thailand, stay a few days here, than goes to Angkor Wat and than for 2.5 weeks to Koh Samui.

---not working anymore.

Agreed, but suppose somebody came on holiday intending to stay a month in Thailand on a visa waiver...

That's why Thailand (and others) is/are kind enough to also have this other option called a "tourist visa". :o

This "visa exemption stamp" should be looked at as an "extra privilege" in itself, no matter short, in order to "help" tourists circumvent the "standard" tourist visa.

Another thought which has just occurred to me....by taking these steps is Thailand not breaking the reciprocal agreements it has with other countries over visa free stay ?

By reducing the permissiable days other countries could do the same to Thai nationals travelling to other countries and not needing a visa...

Nice translation. Leads to the question if the 90 day rule in a 6 month period rule still applies.

The 90-day rule still applies, whether you get 15 or 30 days. What's unclear is the list of nationalities this applies to, but presumably it's the same list that previously got 30 days no matter what their last point of embarkation was.

Another thought which has just occurred to me....by taking these steps is Thailand not breaking the reciprocal agreements it has with other countries over visa free stay ?

By reducing the permissiable days other countries could do the same to Thai nationals travelling to other countries and not needing a visa...

That was my thought too. Maybe it doesn't count for people who qualify for a visa exempt entry under bilateral agreement or the agreement. Technically everyone could still get 30 days, provided they enter by air/from their own country.

But does anyone know which document the translation seems to refers to from the year 2545?