30-days Border Runs Now Only 15 Days

The whole notion of visa control on where people can and cannot live is archaic - allowing the world's population free movement wherever they wish is the only way to slowly share the wealth of the world more evenly. At the moment it is all about money and has nothing to do with peoples rights - if you are comparatively rich enough you can go to a poorer country and live like a king - if you are poor, then you are stuck where you are! Of course while people still believe that "nationality" is a good thing then each country will selfishly continue to cherry pick who they share their wealth with.

I agree 100 %

as do I, if we are going to have free trade we also have to have free movement of labour, and on top of that national borders arent really a major security issue in todays world, most acts of terrorism and crime are caused by people that are already inside a country

• Replies 905
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think that is not a problem. I normally entered Thailand with a tourist visa or a non immigrant visa. I always used the service of Siamese Visa. They are professional.

When i tried to get a visa to go with my boyfriend to England, they were not exactly very accomodating, after the 3rd attempt i was allowed to visit. I was shocked at the way foreigners were treated at the airport and made to wait while all uk citizans cleared customs. Not 1 foreigner moved through customs in over 40 min, my boyfriend was not happy at the way we were treated and when he complained was told to go and sit down, foreigners never have that trouble at our airports

I can sympathize with you about bad treatment at borders, there is no excuse for that. However I think maybe the Thai authorities should give people a tougher look at the borders. Right now you can come into Thailand drunk, with a hooker on each arm and be half naked and they don't even flinch. Why not stop these people before they get into Thailand rather than limit their carousing to 15 days at a time? If they screened the borders a bit more carefully these kind of measures would not be needed. Oh, and enforce the laws that are already in place obviously. LOL Perhaps next they will limit stays to under an hour to rid the country of prostitution.

As far as the poster with the onward ticket goes... that could be. We all have different experiences. I have found these days most people do not even have physical possession of a ticket as most bookings are done by internet. I have been asked for an onward ticket travelling to other countries but never Thailand.

Edited by anotheruser

Hello everybody! I wonder if the same rule applies for the 4 countries that have a special kind of visa on arrival (argentina, korea, and 2 more countries which I cannot remember). With this special treatment we get (or used to get) 90 days of stay, for unlimited times, just going in and out. Do u have any ideas on this? Did the rules changed for us too? It would be a pity cuz I only need to do this only one more time and I will go back to my country definetely. But I do need 3 more months of stay.

Thank you very much!

Can't be sure of if the 90 day rule is abolished. We don't have a complete translation yet of the whole document. I must say it seems that way, but I'm not sure if this new police order is replacing the 90 day police order. It does look that way, but can someone who can read Thai confirm it replaces police order 608/2549?

The new rule clearly says the Article 3 of police order 608/2549 established on 8 September 2549 has been discontinued and replaced with a new Article 3 of Police Order 778/2551 of 25 November 2551. So the 90 days in six months rule has been discontinued officially by the new order which does not have the 90 day rule in it at all.

The 90-days-in-180-days rule is re-listed in the new law.

Guess we will have to wait for a full translation then.

That is true. Article 2.4 in the new overall law (to be fully translated later today I understand?) has some 90 day language but it doesn't say 90 days in what period of time! It says for tourists "will allow (entry) each time of not more than 30 days but not to exceed altogether a total of 90 days counting from the day of entry into the Kingdom". It doesn't read like the visa-exempt old law of "90 days total in six months." Confusing at best. Looks like it will be a lawyer's field day!!!

That's correct, it doesn't specify within what interval a maxium of 90 days is allowed. There is other amateur/inept language in the document, eg, referencing dependent visas only with regard to marriage to a Thai woman, with nothing about marriage to a Thai man. We can only assume that in the first case it's within 180 days as before, and that the dependent visa applies to foreign women married to Thai men as well. :o

I think that is not a problem. I normally entered Thailand with a tourist visa or a non immigrant visa. I always used the service of Siamese Visa. They are professional.

When i tried to get a visa to go with my boyfriend to England, they were not exactly very accomodating, after the 3rd attempt i was allowed to visit. I was shocked at the way foreigners were treated at the airport and made to wait while all uk citizans cleared customs. Not 1 foreigner moved through customs in over 40 min, my boyfriend was not happy at the way we were treated and when he complained was told to go and sit down, foreigners never have that trouble at our airports

I agree entirely - entering a Euro State or the US is a different experience. Or try Australia. Then go back to Thailand and appreciate the handling there. Some people expect Thai Immigration to roll out a red carpet. In my opinion, compared to entering a western country on a foreign passport, Thailand DOES roll out a red carpet. This is simply a move to make it more difficult for people abusing their visas, eg working, to continue to do so. Unfortunately it will affect others too, but if you have a genuine case for staying in the country long-term, you can get a visa.

That's correct, it doesn't specify within what interval a maxium of 90 days is allowed. There is other amateur/inept language in the document, eg, referencing dependent visas only with regard to marriage to a Thai woman, with nothing about marriage to a Thai man. We can only assume that in the first case it's within 180 days as before, and that the dependent visa applies to foreign women married to Thai men as well. :o

A foreign Woman has always been treated differently to a foreign Man. It is much easier for them.

More of that later I think.

It is no big deal. Doing border runs is a waste of money and time anyway when double entry visas are available in Laos.

When they invented the 90 day in 180 rule, border-runs were only any use as a one-off.

I can't understand everyone getting worked up about it. One trip to Laos can provide six months in Thailand.

What is the panic?

Can you said to me how? i stay in vientianne 5 time, try 5 time, 5 time had 60 dys.

Can you tell me how can i find them?

Had you tried before like a farang? i dont think so.

So like some said who make visa run like me are:

Criminal.

Stupid.

Cheap charly(mean poor man i think).

tankyou so much.

PS: when they make more difficult or more expensive the NON-immigrant dont talk about that...you dont care no?

You are:

Not criminal

not stupid

very rich man........

So you dont care pay more and more..

tks agian

ciao

It is no big deal. Doing border runs is a waste of money and time anyway when double entry visas are available in Laos.

I can't understand everyone getting worked up about it. One trip to Laos can provide six months in Thailand.

Could you elaborate please? I thought you could just get a 60-day tourist visa there.

This definitely affects me and there must be others like me - here for four months every year, shortened to 3 months when Tland changed visa reqs a few years ago. One year I paid extra to get a retirement visa so guess I'll go back to doing that as I'm certainly not truckin' to Mae Sai every two weeks all winter.

OK, I'll leave, but I won't come back. I'lljust spend my money elsewhere.

If you're a tourist, get a tourist visa from your Thai consulate at home for 60-90 days travel.

Not rocket science!!

Tourist visas are good for 180 days with 2 legal extensions.Your replies are very obnoxious.Apparently a polite response is "rocket science" for you.

Cambodia is surely more welcoming as is Malaysia.

Someone please explain to me that this hurts tourism?

If you travel by air you get 30 days. If you are a tourists how long is your vacation?

If you happen to be some lucky bastard that get more than 30 day vacation go get a visa in your home country.

I see no problem here, lets weed out the farang that says he is a tourist but he is really hiding away!

30-days border runs now only 15 days

BANGKOK: -- In order to limit the amount of foreigners using "back-to-back" border runs, Thai Immigration has issued a new regulation regarding the 30 days tourist exemption.

Effective immediately, travellers without visa will get only 15 days of stay if they are arriving via a land border checkpoint from a neigboring country.

Passengers arriving via an international airport will obtain a 30 days stay, and for them there is no change.

Travellers with Malaysian passports will obtain a 30 days stay.

This police order number 778/2551 is today confirmed by Royal Thai Police, Immigration Bureau, in Bangkok.

-- thaivisa.com 2008-12-04

Attached: Royal Thai Police order (Thai language)

RTP778_2551.pdf

As I posted before, this DOES hurt tourism. My case is that we bring about 6,000 people a year this way and some of them are booked on tours longer than 15 days and enter through Cambodia. Now they will need to rethink whether they take the trouble to get a visa in advance in their country prior to departure or come to Thailand at all.

Could you elaborate please? I thought you could just get a 60-day tourist visa there.

This definitely affects me and there must be others like me - here for four months every year, shortened to 3 months when Tland changed visa reqs a few years ago. One year I paid extra to get a retirement visa so guess I'll go back to doing that as I'm certainly not truckin' to Mae Sai every two weeks all winter.

There are reports that you can obtain a double entry tourist visa in Vientiane, which would give you a total of 180 days.

I think that Thailand wants to get rid of what it sees as the riff raff falangs. Those who cannot be bothered or just cannot get the right visa. If you have a legitimate visa there is no problem in staying here.

Well said Sir!

This is a particular beef with me the "border runners" working here illegally.

What is your problem and why the attitude?There are many ex-pats living here legally with a tourist visa that DO NOT WORK.Are these "border runners" depriving you you in any way?If so,please elaborate.

Hello everybody! I wonder if the same rule applies for the 4 countries that have a special kind of visa on arrival (argentina, korea, and 2 more countries which I cannot remember). With this special treatment we get (or used to get) 90 days of stay, for unlimited times, just going in and out. Do u have any ideas on this? Did the rules changed for us too? It would be a pity cuz I only need to do this only one more time and I will go back to my country definetely. But I do need 3 more months of stay.

Thank you very much!

It does not apply.

At Vientiene you can get a double entry tourist visa. With extensions this would give almost 6 months.

Yes, this regards the 30 day visa exemption. Which is not the same as Visa on arrival. If you have a proper tourist Visa etc, things seems to be the same. Extending your tourist visa for one month would be the same. And going across the border to trigger the second part of your tourist visa would be the same. After that, 15 days.

Reason. is. Ive just run out of my NON O. Im trying to go ahead and get a tourist visa from Lao because i dont weant to return home to get another NON O till march.

If i go overland and come back and they give me a 15 day stamp, i will fly instead to get a 60 day stamp.

If anyone can confirm for sure please get back ASAP as i need to book my route today.

I can't confirm it, but reading everything makes me believe that as long as you have a tourist visa (say issued in Laos) then you can enter LOS at Nong Khai and receive the customary 60 day stamp. And depending on your plans you might want to get a multiple entry while you're at it. No need to fly somewhere.

Anyone, correct me if I'm wrong.

I think that Thailand wants to get rid of what it sees as the riff raff falangs. Those who cannot be bothered or just cannot get the right visa. If you have a legitimate visa there is no problem in staying here.

Well said Sir!

Agreed. It just might get rid of some nasty and undesirable farang.

I never stay long in Thailand and i never use visa run. usually i only stay 3 or 4 weeks for holidays. This new rules is a problem for me because i always arrive in thailand throught malaysia, crossing border in sungai kolok and leaving by the same way (i never see Don Mueng and Suvarnabhumi Airport!!!) I understand this change of rules but i think it's just to sale visa and make money. I don't think that will work. tourists will just leave the Kingdomn earlier....

I guess they are a little late with updating?...

http://www.mfa.go.th/web/2482.php?id=2490

TOURIST VISA EXEMPTION

- According to the Interior Ministerial Announcements dated 1 October B.E. 2545 (2002), 20 December B.E. 2545 (2002), 18 October B.E. 2547 (2004) and 6 May B.E. 2548 (2005), passport holders from 40 countries and 1 special administrative region – Hong Kong SAR – are not required to obtain a visa when entering Thailand for tourism purposes and will be permitted to stay in the Kingdom for a period of not exceeding 30 days on each visit. Foreigners who enter the Kingdom under the Tourist Visa Exemption category may re-enter and stay in Thailand for a cumulative duration of stay of not exceeding 90 days within any 6-month period from the date of first entry.

- Please note that Tourist Visa Exemption does not apply to foreigners holding Travel Document for Aliens issued by these 40 countries.

- Foreigners entering Thailand under the Tourist Visa Exemption category must possess adequate finances for the duration of stay in Thailand (i.e., cash 10,000 Baht per person and 20,000 Baht per family).

Can this RTP778_2551.pdf document be downloaded from http://www.mfa.go.th?

India - 5 year visa with simple rules of application. Argentina - stay as long as you like and pay a few dollars on exit. Malaysia - currently encouraging expats by friendly visa regs.

Thailand - doesn't have enough feet to shoot. And if I hear one more flip flop wearing, Chang drinking, self rightious ferang - married to a bird he cant' converse with spouting rubbish then * * * * * * * *

Surely most decent ferangs have had enough - infact I know they have.

When they invented the 90 day in 180 rule, border-runs were only any use as a one-off.

What is the panic?

Can you said to me how? i stay in vientianne 5 time, try 5 time, 5 time had 60 dys.

Criminal.

Stupid.

tankyou so much.

PS: when they make more difficult or more expensive the NON-immigrant dont talk about that...you dont care no?

You are:

Not criminal

not stupid

very rich man........

tks agian

ciao

Well Ciao were in my post did i call anyone a criminal, i was giving my experience at a uk airport, and i travel with my boyfriend to lots of airports (and usually it is i that buy the tickets before you go down that line too) you que up and go through customs usually foreigners in several lines and natives in other lines, not kept waiting untill all nationals are through customs before attending to your guests the uk airport was the most rude and unwelcoming i have ever visited. and you saying i called you a criminal you need to put your reading glasses on

Well said Sir!

so today 90% of bar in pattaya close? they are all owned by farang.......

I am on retirement visa (not married to a Thai) and at todays rate of 51 to the UKP compared to last years rate at 63 I will need another £3000 to ensure I have the correct amount 3 months before the visa is due to renew. OK for me and I can afford it but how many wil have to really scrape to get this together?

Thailand is getting more expensive for many living here with no drops in prices and poor exchange rates compared to past years. Interest rates that many are relying on for income falling heavily around the world with many losing big sums of money as the stock markets colapsed also. It is a lose, lose ,lose situation for a huge number of ex-pats living here and I cant see it getting any better unless the Baht starts to decline.

Now we see the chosen cheaper method of living here without long term visas increase in price 2 fold by doubling border run numbers and those guys with lower incomes or resources must in general be the ones that are going to be most affected. I am afraid that living here for some just got a whole lot tougher and maybe for some they will have to leave.

I too agree whole heartedly that those living here and working without work permits illegally may well be the target of this so if correct then they are spoiling it for the guys who live here without working but do so on their own declining limited resources. It might also encourage the good guys to go and get Non Im visas so they can reduce the border run numbers and save some of their hard earned.

Extraordinary. They obviously do not want foriegners here for any length of time, only long enough to drop their cash and piss off back home. It begs the question as to whether they really deserve to have us come visit their extraordinary country at all.

I AGREE!!! lets all piss off to Vietnam where you can stay for 6 months no questions asked.With all the hoohaa lately our loyalty in spending our tourist dollars in thailand has,quite frankly, been shat on.

I was thinking that after all the losses of late they would have relaxed things a little not gone the other way.And they must be crazy if they think this will prop up any business,be that of airlines or anyone.People will just stay away in their droves.

Absolutely unbelievable!!

Im left wondering how many more nails can be put into a coffin thats already buried??

Just to clarify - the first sentence reads

โดยที่เป็นการสมครปรับปรุงการอนุญาตให้คนต่างด้าวซึ่งได้รับการตรวจลงตราเพื่อการท่องเที่ยว

which translates roughly to

There is a need to change the way foreigners can enter the country to work under the premise of a stamp on arrival intended for tourism purposes.

This amendment is to limit workers from neighboring countries getting 90 days, not to make life hard for visa runners.

Edited by malcolmswaine

What is the panic?

Criminal.

Stupid.

tankyou so much.

You are:

Not criminal

not stupid

very rich man........

tks agian

ciao

Well Ciao were in my post did i call anyone a criminal, i was giving my experience at a uk airport, and i travel with my boyfriend to lots of airports (and usually it is i that buy the tickets before you go down that line too) you que up and go through customs usually foreigners in several lines and natives in other lines, not kept waiting untill all nationals are through customs before attending to your guests the uk airport was the most rude and unwelcoming i have ever visited. and you saying i called you a criminal you need to put your reading glasses on

Thailand has by far the most rude and agressive immigration officers on the planet my dear. If you care to understand - then it was only a short time ago when the powers that be decided that they 9immigration plebs) should attend a course on how to be polite. Ofcourse it never happened.

Well said Sir!

If a farang runs a bar here then he should have a visa - so there is no problem for him

Well said Sir!

Where do you get your idiotic ideas- ferangs rent bars in general - they don't own them