The Art Of Haggling

LanXang

I pretty much suck at it. Just paid 350 for some knock off diesel flip flops. She says 400, i say 300. She knocks it down to 350 and i accept right away. Give up too easily? Whats your strategy? They go high, you go low. But how low? Thanx again.

You need to spend some time researching prices and watching others haggle. Rule of thumb is to half the asking price and don't budge, else walk away. Many merchants are wise to that and ask 3 or 4 times the real price hence you need the research. Knock off diesel flip flops should be no more than 200 baht for a well made product, much less for cheap chats.

Start point : decide how much you want the object and how much you are willing to pay for it

Step # 1 : Never show great interest or enthusiasm in what you see that you like, appear distant only asking general prices.

Step # 2 : Start the negotiations for an object similar to the one you want, offer 1/3 to 1/2 the asking price and initially stand firm on that offer.

Step # 3 : If the vendor aint going to budge walk away.

Step # 4 : Give and take. Show flexibility and meet the vendor your side of halfway.

Step # 5 : When you have a good price turn to the item you really want and ask "same price?"

Step # 6 : When you've done the deal walk away and forget about it. Do not ask anybody what they think about your bargain, particularly on an internet forum, you'll always get told you were ripped off.

Golden rule # 1 : Always be prepared to walk away.

Phil's golden rule # 1 : Remember you are spending your personal quality time. What is your hourly pay rate? If you spend 20 minutes knocking 10 Baht off the price you only value your time at 30 Baht per hour.

Phil's golden rule # 2 : It's only money, there are no pockets in a shroud. :o

i just want to mention one thing... i have several friend who own stalls in bangkok, and i used to go with them to shop for their stock at pratunam and the like. i was surprised to see that what they paid for their stock was not really all that much less than what they were selling it for. so, don't assume that they are ripping you off, they probably aren't, although in heavily touristed areas there is the odd unscrupulous dealer. i know lonely planet etc. always suggest offering half of their first price, but really i have found that half would be less than they paid for it. don't bargain to the point where you make yourself (and the vendor) look like a fool and an ass. just ask for a discount on their first price, feel it out, if it seems fair buy it, if it doesn't, dont. don't yell and scream and make a scene because chances are you could be wrong anyway, and it is not the "thai way".

i just want to mention one thing... i have several friend who own stalls in bangkok, and i used to go with them to shop for their stock at pratunam and the like. i was surprised to see that what they paid for their stock was not really all that much less than what they were selling it for. so, don't assume that they are ripping you off, they probably aren't, although in heavily touristed areas there is the odd unscrupulous dealer. i know lonely planet etc. always suggest offering half of their first price, but really i have found that half would be less than they paid for it. don't bargain to the point where you make yourself (and the vendor) look like a fool and an ass. just ask for a discount on their first price, feel it out, if it seems fair buy it, if it doesn't, dont. don't yell and scream and make a scene because chances are you could be wrong anyway, and it is not the "thai way".

Glasses in pratunam 80 Baht....Samui/Phuket initial asking 400 baht...hardly no profit.....

Glasses in pratunam 80 Baht....Samui/Phuket initial asking 400 baht...hardly no profit.....

What's the shipping cost from BKK to Samui?

i just want to mention one thing... i have several friend who own stalls in bangkok, and i used to go with them to shop for their stock at pratunam and the like. i was surprised to see that what they paid for their stock was not really all that much less than what they were selling it for. so, don't assume that they are ripping you off,

Big difference in prices between Bangkok prices and a Phuket tourist prices. That's why I recommend some research before making an offer as local markets in Phuket Town often have nearer the real price. Better still look for price tickets = no barter. In the case that the half price offer invokes laughter or anger then just politely (with a smile) say mai pen rai and walk away. Have a rethink about your offer and try again somewhere else.

• 2 weeks later...
I pretty much suck at it. Just paid 350 for some knock off diesel flip flops. She says 400, i say 300. She knocks it down to 350 and i accept right away. Give up too easily? Whats your strategy? They go high, you go low. But how low? Thanx again.

I always start at a third and go to half, show the money for sure, BUT be prepared to walk away.

Hope this helps a little.

BT :o

I always start at a third and go to half, show the money for sure, BUT be prepared to walk away.

Hope this helps a little.

BT :D

ps I forgot to say " remember Everyone must make a profit" :o

BT

i if it seems fair buy it, if it doesn't, dont. don't yell and scream and make a scene because chances are you could be wrong anyway, and it is not the "thai way".

80thb to burn your retinas.

You are clear those crappy glasses open up the iris and allow all the bad rays to scorch right onto your retinas?

I'll bargain to 0 and still not take them......