Speed Boats

Dirk_brijs

was walking around in the BaliHai area yesterday and got interested in all those speed boats there.

Ayone has an idea on how much a boat like that would cost and what the expenses are connected to it as for placing fees etc. Dont even know what they all have to pay to get it sailing??

Any info would be nice

Not sure about costs at Bali Hai, but I know a guy who has a speedboat that he keeps at a boatyard in Jomtien. Costs him 12,000 Baht per year to keep it there (on dry land) and 600 Baht everytime he wants it taken into the water. He calls the guy the day before he wants to use it and the guy takes care of it all.

Dirk, I dont know about that side of the country ie Phuket but this side, Samui, etca 10mtr speedboat with 1-- 2 stroke 200HP engine will set you back around the 400,000 baht mark. 2 engines around the 600,000 baht up. It all depends what you are going to be doing with it. Owning one in your name is no problem and the insurance is around 2000 baht a year. With boats the skys the limt on what you can spend. A 200 HP 2 stroke outboard will cost 1 litre a minute to run. If you can afford it go for the 4 stroke engine. A little more expensive but cheaper and more reliable in the long run. If you are going to be putting paying passengers on it you need to have 2 engines to be on the safe side. If its just for yourself its up to you. If you breakdown its only you thats inconvenienced. I dont know the mooring fees in Phuket but I would hazard a guess they wont be cheap. The other option is to find a business which has beach access and put in a mooring yourself. Find yourself a diver, not hard on Phuket, and screw in one into the sand just offshore. I had one in Chumphon and it was great fun. Got some good fishing and diving and I could go out went I wanted and not rely on an expensive trip. I hope this has answered some of your questions. Feel free to PM me if you need anything else clarfiying. :o

Edited by H2oDunc

I have a share in a speedboat, which seemed a good idea at the time (decided in the pub). We bought from Seat Boat on Thappraya Road about 3 years ago, cost us just under 1 Million Baht. A full tank of fuel and launching etc can be anything upto 3000 THB, which is usually far too much - sometimes we go out all day and when we return the boat haven't even used a quarter of a tank. It's great for fishing and general cruising around etc, but we don't use it as much as we should and it's probably fair to say that we haven't got our money's worth out of it.

(P.S anyone wanna buy a boat?)

Used to have one of those wooden speed boats with a 150 hp outboard Yamaha.

Paid 310,000 Baht for it (2nd hand).

Parking at the Bali Hai pier was 3,000 Baht/month, launching and retrieving 500 Baht/time.

They burn fuel/2stroke oil like there is no tomorrow!

Spare parts are expensive.

The saltwater environment is very hard on those engines, they have to get flushed very good with fresh water after each use.

In short, there's two times when a boat owner is happy, first when he buys it and second when he sells it :o

was walking around in the BaliHai area yesterday and got interested in all those speed boats there.

Ayone has an idea on how much a boat like that would cost and what the expenses are connected to it as for placing fees etc. Dont even know what they all have to pay to get it sailing??

Any info would be nice

i have had many boats of various sizes and types but resisted the temptation to get one here

i refer to boats as a hole in the water that you throw money into .........