Fire At Santika Night Club

onethailand

This is quite common practice in Thailand in case you didn't know. ...

So the Santika management got furious for obvious reasons and planned arson of the whole premises on the last day of the lease as a way to get back to the premises owner.

This possibility has been sitting at the back of my mind. Anyone who knows Thailand for any length of time, knows that vindictive acts around property and leasing are very common, including discontinuing a lease after a rented business becomes successful. It seems too outrageous to me that this would happen on the last day of the lease, with a sign that says "Goodbye Santika", and flagrant disregard for lighting fireworks inside the premises. Something doesn't seem right.

trash talk for the small and narrow minded, a BS conspiracy theory.

Yeah, like the 9/11 "conspiracy"... think u wouldn't believe what some people would do for money...

Anyway, i hope it's not true but as my friend woke me up and said he survived a fire in bkk i read the article in a belgian newspaper (online offcourse) and when i read it was the last night of their lease it

surely was the first thing on my mind.. whatever it is , it's a sad coincidense but worth investigating, same as 9/11!!! but hey, that would be un-patriotic wouldn't it be.. another story but stuff like this just makes me think.... it's not like stuff like this never happens...

get real!

this is not a b-movie script, where some big bad chinese mafia guy set everything in flames for the grand finale and placed before some hints on the website. so that the Anyone who knows Thailand brigade can come forward with their investigation and theories.

and if it's true that the owner would like to burn the club down for whatever reason, it would be much easier to do when there are no witnesses around. in a silent night, when the club is not open.

Very very sad....I have been living here for 17 years and the fear of being in a fire like this one has been with me a long time. I lived in a large well known condo at one time and I discovered that the sprinker systen through out the building allthough looked like the real deal, was in fact a system that must be charged by the fire dept. when they arrive to fight the fire....I wonder how many buildings if not most have the same set up......Prayers to all the people involved in this nightmare...

just shows that this forum is comprised largely of bickering, angry, anonymous men, welcome to the club! :o

....and the women, since they all post their photos on here with their real names, addresses, and phone numbers, are not anonymous? Hmmmmmm

“There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance- that principle is contempt prior to investigation.”

Excellent quote. Explains my sentiments exactly. As I said earlier, this is a tragedy either way you look at it, and there was gross negligence just based on the circumstance of unmarked and inaccessible emergency exits. However, that is not what started the fire. What exactly did start the fire? - a spark from a stage display, fireworks from the inside (by foreigners, as it is no less reported on other Thai news outlets and websites), or fireworks from the outside? NO ONE here knows which yet, but already we have people on here with their usual attempts to bully others from entertaining all possible questions.

And yet, it should be a straightforward and obvious part of even an amateur investigation - what are the obvious details and what if any are the ulterior motives? In this case, an expired lease and rejection of an extension of a very lucrative business is an obvious motive, and not at all unknown to Thailand. It should be a standard and obvious question in any investigation.

It is also commonplace for well-placed people to get away with murder, so don't assume that everyone works within the same defined framework of "commonsense". That can have different meanings in different contexts. It is not so farfetched to think that someone would not burn the place down when they are still invested and extracting money from the place, nor is it far-fetched to completely destroy and gut a place, at any cost, to create what is considered irrepairable bad luck (death and ghosts) in addition to creating huge monetary damages.

Again, my heart goes out to the people who have senselessly lost their lives, or who are suffering the loss of loved ones and excruciating wounds. The above scenario is only one of many, but it should be part of any respectable investigation until it is discounted by fact, and not intimidation and bullying before the fact.

get real!

this is not a b-movie script, where some big bad chinese mafia guy set everything in flames for the grand finale and placed before some hints on the website. so that the Anyone who knows Thailand brigade can come forward with their investigation and theories.

and if it's true that the owner would like to burn the club down for whatever reason, it would be much easier to do when there are no witnesses around. in a silent night, when the club is not open.

edit: typos

Edited by kat

Thailand's Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva inspects the damage at Santika Club in Bangkok January 1, 2009. A blaze at the top Bangkok nightclub killed 59 people including a Singaporean ( Mr.Teo Sze Siong ) celebrating the New Year and injured more than 100 others, police said on Thursday.

551000016534011.jpg

551000016534010.jpg

551000016534009.jpg

551000016534008.jpg

551000016534001.jpg

551000016534002.jpg

551000016534005.jpg

551000016534004.jpg

551000016534003.jpg

Thailand's Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva inspects the damage at Santika Club in Bangkok January 1, 2009. A blaze at the top Bangkok nightclub killed 59 people including a Singaporean ( Mr.Teo Sze Siong ) celebrating the New Year and injured more than 100 others, police said on Thursday.

551000016534010.jpg

Hardhats in a condemned unsafe building site.....what a concept.

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance- that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

Excellent quote. Explains my sentiments exactly. As I said earlier, this is a tragedy either way you look at it, and there was gross negligence just based on the circumstance of unmarked and inaccessible emergency exits. However, that is not what started the fire. What exactly did start the fire? - a spark from a stage display, fireworks from the inside (by foreigners, as it is no less reported on other Thai news outlets and websites), or fireworks from the outside? NO ONE here knows which yet, but already we have people on here with their usual attempts to bully others from entertaining all possible questions.

And yet, it should be a straightforward and obvious part of even an amateur investigation - what are the obvious details and what if any are the ulterior motives? In this case, an expired lease and rejection of an extension of a very lucrative business is an obvious motive, and not at all unknown to Thailand. It should be a standard and obvious question in any investigation.

It is also commonplace for well-placed people to get away with murder, so don't assume that everyone works within the same defined framework of "commonsense". That can have different meanings in different contexts. It is not so farfetched to think that someone would not burn the place down when they are still invested and extracting money from the place, nor is it far-fetched to completely destroy and gut a place, at any cost, to create what is considered irrepairable bad luck (death and ghosts) in addition to creating huge monetary damages.

Again, my heart goes out to the people who have senselessly lost their lives, or who are suffering the loss of loved ones and excruciating wounds. The above scenario is only one of many, but it should be part of any respectable investigation until it is discounted by fact, and not intimidation and bullying before the fact.

get real!

edit: typos

glad you like it, i thought it was relevant. you make some good points. agreed the real issue is the loss of life and suffering.

i just like to hear all sides, i am funny that way.

551000016534003.jpg

Terrible accident... This is a very popular place among both Thais and foreigners. The picture above is terrible as well. I'll guess the long bags contains body of westerners and the short ones are Thais or other Asians.

Maybe it's time for the authorities to have a look on plans for fire escape doors and other safety, on buildings made for housing lot's of people.

Edited by Ga-gai

Some fast facts coming off Thai PBS:

* Opened in 2004.

* Has held more than 300 large events since opening

* Regarded as one of the best locations for concerts

* Has 8 doors, but only one (the main entrance) was commonly known

* Goodbye Santika 2008 was to be its last event as the owner of the land declined to renew the lease

551000016534010.jpg

Hardhats in a condemned unsafe building site.....what a concept.

Policeman gave Hard hat to Prime Minister Abhisit to protect the head from injury such as from falling objects. I think that It's unnecessary. Anyway, It's good to saw him at that place.

Was on the American News last night - I think NbC or FOX. Signed right in here and nothing - only the Nation had any reports- the Post had nothing. So it seemed to me, they almost reported it first? Strange. Hope everyone we all know is ok (Wish everyone was, bt we all know at least 60 are not, and 200 hospitalized :o )- lotsa my friends went to Santika a lot - hadda do lots SMSing to check on em.

BANGKOK, Thailand (AP)

The Phranakorn Center, an official agency dealing with accidents in Bangkok, said at least 61 people died and 35 foreigners were among the injured. The Narenthorn Emergency Center, which was coordinating relief efforts, said more than 200 had been hurt.

The Phranakorn Center and reporters who interviewed the injured said they included nationals of Australia, Belgium, France, Great Britain, Japan, Singapore, South Korea and the United States. The dead Singaporean was identified as Teo Sze Siong.

One of the Japanese, Wada Keiichi, 25, was in a coma and suffering from burns over 60 percent of his body, doctors said.

Pol. Lt. Col. Sujettana Sotthibandhu, a forensics expert, said it might take about a week to identify almost 30 bodies that were badly disfigured.

Associated Press

Very little news heard on the Thai media. Maybe the Thais are superstitious believing that it isn't a good thing to report during new year.

The first reports were on Jor Sor 100 by 1 am, and on TNN by 3 am - the first reports on BBC and Sky were also appearing about 3 am.

The Thai media is still covering the issue, but obviously it is not taking up all of their air time.

For the record, CNN didn't get anything until well after 5 am.

Edited by onethailand

Very little news heard on the Thai media. Maybe the Thais are superstitious believing that it isn't a good thing to report during new year.

Yes, reporting facts on Thailand's dismal adherence to any kind of safety regulations is very bad luck- might deter tourists.

Condolences to the families and victims of this senseless, horrid tragedy.

Wasn't there a hotel fire a few coups back with locked exit doors and the "authorities " were gonna get serious with fire codes ?

Edited by HorseDoctor

People keep saying that the Thai media is not reporting this, or that foreign media broke the story first. Do any of you actually look at any THAI media, as opposed to the lame online English language newspaper websites? The story was live on Thai TV at last night. Every single Thai newspaper website has a bunch stories about the fire on the front page. Look at a Thai newspaper or Thai TV, the story is everywhere.

Yes, reporting facts on Thailand's dismal adherence to any kind of safety regulations is very bad luck- might deter tourists.

Condolences to the families and victims of this sensless, horrid tragedy.

Thai PBS has reported that safety is one of the issues that is being investigated.

Those of you who think the Thai media are not doing anything should at least try to watch the various channels. There is no conspiracy to cover anything up, at least from the media's standpoint.

Santika ( spainish language ) = Beauty of the nature

It's NOT a Spanish word, neither Thai.

It sounds Indonesian to me.

R.I.P.

WHO ARE WE

The name "Santika" was derived from a Spanish word "San-ti-ka" which mean "Beautiful of Nature. Santika pub&restaurant is inspired by nature ,and position it self to be Thailand’s first entertainment outlet that innovatively blends the comfort of nature with the excitement of the Bangkok nightlife.Lastly, Santika has the best vision that goes straight to cath up the customer’s expextation, Which is "The Future of Entertainment."

http://www.santikaclub.com/home.php

All I saw was panic, mostly amongst the 'rescue' workers, have they had training for an emergency?

I even saw one lady laying on the ground with burned legs, moaning and turning her head and one of these workers came up and checked her pulse! Does he really think her pulse has stopped despite the fact that she's moving and making noises!?

An absolute tragedy, and an absolute shambles too.

The aftermath of a large conflaguration is difficult to handle. The nature of injuries runs the full range, from respiratory distress and internal burning of the lungs, to broken limbs and of course severe burns, to emotional trauma. Checking a patient's pulse is the first thing you do. If the blood pressure is low, you will have to start an IV immediately, if not, you can move on to someone else that may have a faint pulse and be close to cardiac arrest or in respiratory collapse. In an event such as this, a subject screaming and writhing in pain may be distressing to an onlooker, but it indicates the patient is conscious. When faced with a patient that is silent and motionless, the nature of injuries will most likely present as a priority.

Large scale events such as this have hundreds of paniced excited onlookers/victims that create a mess at the scene. If you are an EMS worker, you need to work around it and that's what they were trying to do. The event scene had to be first controlled before the EMS could do their job properly and the early videos are taken as fire crews and EMS are arriving and setting up, so please take that into consideration.

R.I.P.

Quote from the Santika club website:

"The name "Santika" was derived from a Spanish word "San-ti-ka" which mean "Beautiful of Nature. Santika pub&restaurant is inspired by nature ,and position it self to be Thailand’s first entertainment outlet that innovatively blends the comfort of nature with the excitement of the Bangkok nightlife.Lastly, Santika has the best vision that goes straight to cath up the customer’s expextation, Which is "The Future of Entertainment.""

R.I.P.

Quote from the Santika club website:

"The name "Santika" was derived from a Spanish word "San-ti-ka" which mean "Beautiful of Nature. Santika pub&restaurant is inspired by nature ,and position it self to be Thailand’s first entertainment outlet that innovatively blends the comfort of nature with the excitement of the Bangkok nightlife.Lastly, Santika has the best vision that goes straight to cath up the customer’s expextation, Which is "The Future of Entertainment.""

Who cares?

R.I.P.

It is Indonesian as far as I know - though not sure what it means. There is a 5 star hotel in Jakarta named Santika and a fairly popular beach resort in Bali.

People keep saying that the Thai media is not reporting this, or that foreign media broke the story first. Do any of you actually look at any THAI media, as opposed to the lame online English language newspaper websites? The story was live on Thai TV at last night. Every single Thai newspaper website has a bunch stories about the fire on the front page. Look at a Thai newspaper or Thai TV, the story is everywhere.

Indeed. Channel 3 seemed to be all gruesome on-site videos of this tragedy this morning, complete with dead bodies. I didn't watch it for very long but it was certainly covered, maybe even in too much detail.

All I saw was panic, mostly amongst the 'rescue' workers, have they had training for an emergency?

I even saw one lady laying on the ground with burned legs, moaning and turning her head and one of these workers came up and checked her pulse! Does he really think her pulse has stopped despite the fact that she's moving and making noises!?

An absolute tragedy, and an absolute shambles too.

The aftermath of a large conflaguration is difficult to handle. The nature of injuries runs the full range, from respiratory distress and internal burning of the lungs, to broken limbs and of course severe burns, to emotional trauma. Checking a patient's pulse is the first thing you do. If the blood pressure is low, you will have to start an IV immediately, if not, you can move on to someone else that may have a faint pulse and be close to cardiac arrest or in respiratory collapse. In an event such as this, a subject screaming and writhing in pain may be distressing to an onlooker, but it indicates the patient is conscious. When faced with a patient that is silent and motionless, the nature of injuries will most likely present as a priority.

Large scale events such as this have hundreds of paniced excited onlookers/victims that create a mess at the scene. If you are an EMS worker, you need to work around it and that's what they were trying to do. The event scene had to be first controlled before the EMS could do their job properly and the early videos are taken as fire crews and EMS are arriving and setting up, so please take that into consideration.

I unerstand what you're saying, I'm no expert

I saw a motobike accident last week and immediately onlookers standing nearby ran into the road and practically dragged the injured out of the street...

I saw a couple of simiilar incidents on the vid.

Just as an aside. In the US, since sprinklers were mandated ( ...and checked regularly) in hotels, there has not been one fatality.

Some cultures revere life, others don't.

It's just the posturing of Tland as a safe place that gets me..Tourists are really clueless to the realities.