Retirement Visa For Part Time Stay ?

Melbourne Australia, Thai Consulate also has a policy of not issueing Multiple O's for retirement or retirement planning reasons, they are quite happy to issue Multiple O's only if you have a definite connection with a Thai family such as marriage.

Good topic, this one, I'm sure many members are interested in spending some months here each year, apart from the snow wherever.

Edited by fishhooks

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a newbie I would plead for the more experienced users to use their terminology less casually. When a poster says "a retirement visa" does he mean an A-O or Non Em O (single or multiple). Some posters use the terms renewal and extention interchangeably. Maybe they are the same but it does get a lilltle confusing. I am in the almost exact position as the Michigan poster i.e. NW Ohio. I would like to spend about 5 months in Chiang Mai and the rest in the US. Checking air fares and the inconvience I have ABSOLUTELY no interest in doing visa runs. FYI I recieved a Non Im O single entry out of NYC,NY with no apparent problem. Also, if relevant, I always purchase a round trip ticket. Off subject, but is there a logic to Thai Immigration making it so complicated and confusing fo the "snow bird" type of visitor. Thanks to all you helpful posters. In CM now.

How do you plan on staying in Thailand for "about 5 months" without doing a visa run if you only have a single entry Non-Immigrant "O" visa? Or are you speculating about a future trip.

Hi Everybody,

I am currently retired and living in the USA, but like to stay in Thailand for the winter months, just like other people like to go to Florida or Arizona.

So I am just wondering if it would be easier to apply for a retirement visa than to try and arrange visa (s)

with multiple entries every year. (I don't like to do visa runs)

Also, I have been wondering about the retirement visa requirements and I am not quite sure if the income requirement has anything to do with the amount I am spending while in Thailand.

(I don't like to have 800000 baht tied up in a bank account if I don't have to)

So if I deposit between 200 and 400000 baht and show I have an income of $ 1500.00 pm, do I actually have to spend or transfer that money ($1500) to Thailand every month ??

Kind regards,

Freezing in Michigan

To get the retirement visa you must be 50 and have an income of B65,000 per month, 800,000 baht in a Thai bank or a combination that equals one million baht. Based on the income numbers you mentioned you would still need a bank account of nearly 400K Baht. That is using an exchange rate of 34-1.

What you spend here each month is up to you. You need to prove the income to immigration to get the visa.

To get the retirement visa you must be 50 and have an income of B65,000 per month, 800,000 baht in a Thai bank or a combination that equals one million baht. Based on the income numbers you mentioned you would still need a bank account of nearly 400K Baht. That is using an exchange rate of 34-1.

What you spend here each month is up to you. You need to prove the income to immigration to get the visa.

Incorrect it is 800,000 baht for the combined deposit and income option.

Source: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/post-a70477-New-Immigration-Rules-November-2008.html

Incorrect it is 800,000 baht for the combined deposit and income option.

Source: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/post-a70477-New-Immigration-Rules-November-2008.html

Also it is not a Visa. It is an extension of stay.

The OP is living in the States and we recently have had reports that they will not issue non-o visas for retirement. They will only do non-oa visas.

The OP has already stated he does not want to do visa runs.

The 800K option is not the only option. You can show income or even do a mixture of the two.

Also you can earn interest on your deposits in a Thai bank. The goverment owned banks are the only ones that I know of that have that restriction. You can also put the money in a fixed term account which will draw more interest. I have seen reports that ATM withdrawls were accepted as proof that you were spending money when the account showed little usage.

yes each consulate is at liberty to make their own interpretation of the rules in true Thai style,

but anyone who would invest any money in Thailand at the moment is either very rich, not well informed or just plain crazy and to have 800,000 tbt or part thereof in a non government bank without any guarantee in the current and on going political turmoil with the current world financial meltdown

would have to classified in the latter.At Chiang Mai immigration they will not allow atm withdrawals or credit card dockets as part of the deal

As a newbie I would plead for the more experienced users to use their terminology less casually. When a poster says "a retirement visa" does he mean an A-O or Non Em O (single or multiple). Some posters use the terms renewal and extention interchangeably. Maybe they are the same but it does get a lilltle confusing. I am in the almost exact position as the Michigan poster i.e. NW Ohio. I would like to spend about 5 months in Chiang Mai and the rest in the US. Checking air fares and the inconvience I have ABSOLUTELY no interest in doing visa runs. FYI I recieved a Non Im O single entry out of NYC,NY with no apparent problem. Also, if relevant, I always purchase a round trip ticket. Off subject, but is there a logic to Thai Immigration making it so complicated and confusing fo the "snow bird" type of visitor. Thanks to all you helpful posters. In CM now.

1. A Non-Immigrant "O-A" is the only visa that can be called a retirement visa and the holder will receive a 1 year "Admitted Until" (entry) stamp, usually at the airport, when he or she enters Thailand. Only available from your home country.
  2. A Non-Immigrant "O" or "B" etc. visa holder will only receive a 90 day entry stamp when entering Thailand.
  3. The Tourist visa is only good for a 60 day entry stamp with a further 30 days (90 days total) available from immigration in conjunction with each entry.
  4. Visa Exempt is a 30 day (airport) or 15 day (land) entry stamp for passport holders from certain listed countries. This is the most common entry stamp issued.
  5. Visa on Arrival is a 15 day stamp for passport holders from certain other listed countries. See list on Ministry of Foreign Affairs website.
  6. A multiple entry visa allows for more than one entry into Thailand, so long as visa utilize before date remains valid.
  7. All visas have a utilize before date. You must complete your entry(s) into Thailand before that date.
  8. There is no such thing as a visa renewal. Once a visa has been used (single entry) or expired (multiple entry) then it's no longer valid for entry into Thailand.
  9. A visa only allows you to present yourself to an immigration officer at a port of entry into Thailand. The immigration officer then determines the appropriate entry time frame and will stamp your passport with an "Admitted Until" date to reflect the amount of time you are allowed to stay in Thailand.
  10. An "Extension of Stay" is what you get after your "Admitted Until" date has been reached. Extensions must be applied for before your current "admitted Until" date or current extension runs out.
  11. Your original visa can be several years old and long since expired, but you can remain legally in Thailand by keeping your extensions current.
  12. The most common 1 year extensions are for retirement and marriage.

Edited by InterestedObserver

At one time I was considering just getting a visa at the airport and then visit e.g. Penang and get an another 30 day stamp, but that got changed to 15 days, as I understand without warning.

It is for that reason that I thought a retirement visa was the most secure way of travel, with little chance

of last minute change or by receiving a visa you didn't requested.

Note to OP to clarify.

If you return from Penang by AIR you get 30 days, not 15 days. The 15 days is for land borders only, Also, they no longer COUNT DAYS on non-visa stamp entries.

If you don't go for retirement extentions and you are in Penang or Vientienne anyway, might as well apply for a single or double entry tourist visa while there if you can use the time. Many options for you, just learn the rules and how to play the game and get on the plane!

Another detail, if you buy a RT ticket with a 6 month return and show up at the airport with NO VISA, you can usually be allowed to board if you can produce an AIR TICKET out of Thailand that leaves within 30 days of your arrival. With that scenario, you don't ever have to mail your passport anywhere, just show up, and get the tourist visas in neighboring countries.

Bottom line, sure go for the retirement extensions if that suits you best, but be assured there are plenty of tools in the toolbox to stay six months every year without doing that, and many, many people are doing exactly that.

Edited by Jingthing

Still Freezing in Michigan

...and still not telling us how long you plan to stay in Thailand each winter, which would be important information to be able to give you tailor-made advice.

--

Maestro

How do you plan on staying in Thailand for "about 5 months" without doing a visa run if you only have a single entry Non-Immigrant "O" visa? Or are you speculating about a future trip.

One-year extension of stay based on meeting retirement criteria.

I recieved a Non Im O single entry out of NYC,NY with no apparent problem.

What criteria did you use -- and what proof did they require? Just curious to see how NYC's consulate stacks up against the others.

In reaction to the finacial crises. The Thai goverment is now insuring all accounts 100%. So I don't think having your money in a Thai bank is that big a problem.

you are stating that deposits with all all Thai banks are guaranteed by the Thai government. Can you please give us the source of your statement,

This does not alter the fact that you are not allowed to transfer the 800,000 tbt out of the country making it a very bad deal, when interest rates outside of LOS are generally so much higher

In reaction to the finacial crises. The Thai goverment is now insuring all accounts 100%. So I don't think having your money in a Thai bank is that big a problem.

you are stating that deposits with all all Thai banks are guaranteed by the Thai government. Can you please give us the source of your statement,

This does not alter the fact that you are not allowed to transfer the 800,000 tbt out of the country making it a very bad deal, when interest rates outside of LOS are generally so much higher

October 29, 2008 Responding to the global financial crisis, the Cabinet yesterday approved a measure extending the 100-per-cent state guarantee on bank deposits until August 2011 in a bid to prevent massive withdrawals in the banking system.Finance Minister Suchart Thadathamrongvech said Thai banks had to date experienced no...http://www.nationmultimedia.com/search/rea...eyword=deposits

Deposits can be sent out of the country but it does take a lot of paperwork.

It is a well established axiom of life in Thailand that you never bring in money that you can't afford to loose. If you are not prepared to spend (read that as loose) the 800K THB, then you should carefully reevaluate your options.

What criteria did you use -- and what proof did they require? Just curious to see how NYC's consulate stacks up against the others.

I clled several times to a girl/lady in the consulate. I got several confusing answers so I submitted the kitchen sink. Everything they could possibly ask for. So sorry I can not tell you what they really may have required.

October 29, 2008 Responding to the global financial crisis, the Cabinet yesterday approved a measure extending the 100-per-cent state guarantee on bank deposits until August 2011 in a bid to prevent massive withdrawals in the banking system.Finance Minister Suchart Thadathamrongvech said Thai banks had to date experienced no...http://www.nationmultimedia.com/search/rea...eyword=deposits

Deposits can be sent out of the country but it does take a lot of paperwork.

thanks for the information on the deposits guarantee. The TMB in Chiang Mai advised me that i was not able to transfer deposited funds out of the country

Still Freezing in Michigan

...and still not telling us how long you plan to stay in Thailand each winter, which would be important information to be able to give you tailor-made advice.

--

Maestro

Hi Maestro,

The original heading said:

Retirement Visa For Part Time Stay ?, Retirement Visa to stay 6 out of 12 months

But January - April for sure; so 4 months.

Thanks,

Michigan

If this will be your pattern every year, being in Thailand for retirement extension renewal shouldn't be a problem.

Assuming a tourist visa, shortly after arrival in January, go to Immigration to convert to a Non Imm O. You'll get an new "admitted until" stamp 90 days hence. When you subsequently return to Immigration 60 days later to get your retirement extension, this 'admitted unitl' date received in January when you converted will become the date your one-year retirement extension begins -- plus become the date of annual renewal. So, say this date is April 10 (meaning you converted to a Non Imm O Jan 12), every year thereafter you'll need to be in country for renewal between March 11th (30 days before expiration) and April 10th.

If you enter on a Non Imm O visa (an earlier post says you might be able to get one by "sending the kitchen sink" worth of info to the New York Thai Consulate), you'll save one trip to Immigration -- and 2000 baht conversion fee -- but your retirement extension/renewal date will still be sometime in April, depending on which day in January you enter Thailand.

I guess if two trips to Immigration sounds like a hassle, I'd want to try for a Non Imm O while I'm still in the States.

My situation is very simalar but with one difference. How is this advice affected if I will travel between Issan and Laos on a regular basis, a few weeks each back and forth? In the future I hope to escape coastal Oregon for five to six months each winter. Thanks for sharing all visa info.

My situation is very simalar but with one difference. How is this advice affected if I will travel between Issan and Laos on a regular basis, a few weeks each back and forth? In the future I hope to escape coastal Oregon for five to six months each winter. Thanks for sharing all visa info.

If you are on a 12 month extension for retirement you can get a Multi Re Entry Permit for 3,800 Baht. This will alow you to come and go.

Don't forget you need a Visa to visit Laos.

Just get a multiple re-entry permit and it won't be a problem. Just be sure you are here to get your new extension every year.

As long as you leave everytime before your 90 day reports are due you wpn't even have to make them. But you will have to keep track of how many days you are here so that you don't go over 90 days without making a report.

You would need either a multiple entry Non-Immigrant visa or 1 year extension (retirement or marriage) and multiple re-entry permit.

Edited by InterestedObserver

Retirement Visa For Part Time Stay ?, Retirement Visa to stay 6 out of 12 months

Thanks. That was an oversight on my part, which I put down to my tired old eyes

That's how I would do my snow-birding. Leave home before standard time starts, return after standard time ends, so that I would not have to change any clocks around the house. One likes to be comfortable as one gets older :o

--

Maestro

If this will be your pattern every year, being in Thailand for retirement extension renewal shouldn't be a problem.

Assuming a tourist visa, shortly after arrival in January, go to Immigration to convert to a Non Imm O. You'll get an new "admitted until" stamp 90 days hence. When you subsequently return to Immigration 60 days later to get your retirement extension, this 'admitted unitl' date received in January when you converted will become the date your one-year retirement extension begins -- plus become the date of annual renewal. So, say this date is April 10 (meaning you converted to a Non Imm O Jan 12), every year thereafter you'll need to be in country for renewal between March 11th (30 days before expiration) and April 10th.

If you enter on a Non Imm O visa (an earlier post says you might be able to get one by "sending the kitchen sink" worth of info to the New York Thai Consulate), you'll save one trip to Immigration -- and 2000 baht conversion fee -- but your retirement extension/renewal date will still be sometime in April, depending on which day in January you enter Thailand.

I guess if two trips to Immigration sounds like a hassle, I'd want to try for a Non Imm O while I'm still in the States.

Thanks,

I never really thought about a timeline, but I can see by your example that it affects the time when you have to be in Thailand every year.

So for the first time it might be best to start the visit in November or December so that the extension date is in February/March.

Michigan

God, grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones that I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference

My situation is very similar but with one difference. How is this advice affected if I will travel between Issan and Laos on a regular basis, a few weeks each back and forth? In the future I hope to escape coastal Oregon for five to six months each winter. Thanks for sharing all visa info.

Another take on this....

Per the example with Michigan, where you come in on either a tourist visa or a single entry Non Imm O visa in January, you'll need to get a re-entry permit from Immigration. This will keep your "admitted until" date alive until its expiration in April (again, per the Michigan example). This will allow you to border hop while you wait until 60 days is up, whereupon you can apply for your retirement extension (and, you'll need to apply for another re-entry permit too, as the first one will expire upon receiving your retirement extension).

...never really thought about a timeline, but I can see by your example that it affects the time when you have to be in Thailand every year.

So for the first time it might be best to start the visit in November or December so that the extension date is in February/March.

Yes, the timing of the first extension approval determines when you have to apply for extension in subsequent years, ie during the last 30 days of the current extension period.

Let’s say you are reasonably sure that you will always be in Thailand in January, probably the coldest winter month in Michigan, so you want to arrange it that you will be due for your annual applications for extension in January.

1. The first time you arrive in Thailand early in November with a single-entry non-O visa or a tourist visa. Let’s say you arrive on 3 NOV 2009. With a non-O visa you receive permission to stay for 90 days, ie until 31 JAN 2010, with a tourist visa for 60 days, ie until 1 JAN 2010.
  2. If you arrived with a tourist, as soon as possible after your arrival you go to your local immigration office and get a change of visa status to non-O, eg on 5 NOV 2009. This gives you permission to stay for 90 days from the date of change of visa, ie until 2 FEB 2010.
  3. During the last 30 days of your permission to stay you apply for the annual extension for retirement, ie in the above example during 4 JAN 2010 – 29 JAN 2010 if you arrived with a non-O visa or during 5 JAN 2010 – 2 FEB 2010 if you arrived with a tourist visa.
  4. In either case, the one-year extension will be added to your existing period of permission to stay, which means that your extension period will be until 30 JAN 2011 in case of arrival with non-O visa or until 1 FEB 2011 in case of arrival with tourist visa.
  5. After getting your extension, best get a re-entry permit right away to keep your extension period alive after you leave Thailand and return to Thailand for the next winter.

--

Maestro

OK Maestro I understand what you are saying about getting the date to fall on a convenient date every year. The question I have is, will Immigration allow you to apply for your first extension approval earlier than the 30 days that they recommend in order to get your "timing" straight ?

For instance, my first Non-Immigrant O-A, M(ultiple), issued at the Royal Thai Embassy in Washington, DC, USA allowed me almost two years in Thailand with only the requirement of 90 day reporting. This was due to the fact that like Michigan, I only spend 6 months in the Kingdom. My original Visa was issued on 1 Dec 2006 with an enter before date of 30 Nov 2007.

I entered on or about 15 Dec 2006 and obtained an entry stamp (permit to stay?) good till 30 Nov 2007, did one 90 day report but left the Kingdom before the second 90 day report was due, around the first of May 2007.

I then returned to the Kingdom on or about the 1st of November 2007, received another entry stamp (permit to stay?) good till 29 November 2008. Once again did one 90 day reporting and left the Kingdom on or about the 4th of May 2008 to return to the US.

Discussed on TV what would be the easiest and cheapest method for third winter (present). Either rush to get "first extension" upon return this Nov 08 or obtain another Visa while in the US. Consensus was that it really made no difference and that obtaining a new Visa would probably end up being cheaper. Unknown at the time was that the Thai Embassy was going to raise the fee from $125 to $175.

So I obtained a new Non-Immigrant O-A after obtaining new US passport. This one was issued 25 Sep 2008 with an enter before date of 24 Sep 2009. Arrived in the Kingdom on 4 Nov 2008 and received an entry stamp (permit to stay?) good till 3 Nov 2009 , which I think is incorrect since my Visa expiration date is 24 Sep 2009 ????.

This indicates to me that (1) I will either have to return to Thailand next Winter before 24 Sep 2009 (enter before date), or (2) go to Immigration 30 days before I leave (29 May 09 minus 30 days = 29 April 09) to obtain my first extension approval, or (3) obtain another Non-Immigrant O-A Visa from the Royal Thai Embassy prior to coming back for next winter.

I think that the major mistake I made was to be in too much of a rush to get my new Visa from the Thai Embassy. I think if I had gotten it in late October I could have squeezed another 2 years out of one Visa. But as it stands now, I either come back to Thailand next year earlier than my usual November to May plan or go to Immigration in April and see about extending it then. Keeping in mind that I will now, per your explanation, have to obtain an extension every year prior to going back to the US.

I don't find it that burdensome to obtain a new Non-Immigrant O-A, M(ultiple) since I have a physical every year anyway and my doctor has no problem stating that I don't have Leprosy, TB, Elephantiasis, Drug Addiction, or Third Step of Syphilis, and my local police Department has no problem in giving me a letter stating that I don't have a criminal record and I use my monthly retirement statement for proof of 65,000 THB income.

Any thoughts or recommendation on my situation ? :o

Your permit to stay date is correct. The enter before date of the visa means nothing if you are already in the country.

In fact you can enter the country up until the day before your enter before date and still get a one year entry.

If you could make your trip a little early this year you could enter on the 23 rd of Sept. and get another year.

It sounds like you have found it easy to get the OA's so that might be best for you.

Some immigration offices will let you apply early for the extension but it will be from the date your current permit to stay ends.

How you decide to do it is up to you.