New Government

mijan24

Suthep assigned to bring back Thaksin

By: BangkokPost.com

Published: 1/01/2009 at 11:36 AM Deputy Prime Minister Suthep Thuagsuban will initially coordinate with relevant people to bring back ousted premier Thaksin Shinawatra to the country, Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva said on Thursday.

Mr Abhisit said the government is ready to negotiate with all sides based on the principle of justice, so the country can progress forward.

Mr Thaksin should not be concerned that the government will mistreat him, the prime minister added.

Deputy Prime Minister Suthep, meanwhile, admitted that he was assigned to approach Mr Thaksin's close associates. He said the negotiation is aimed at restoring order to the country.

The government already contacted his close associates and it is waiting for their response, Mr Suthep revealed.

He insisted the government only wants the ex-premier to fight his graft charges in the country and does not want to aggravate him.

Thaksin guilty in land case, gets 2-year imprisonment

Thaksin Shinawatra sentenced to two years in jail

BANGKOK: -- The Supreme Court Tuesday found former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra guilty in the Ratchada land case.

He was sentenced to 2 years in jail.

Pojaman Shinawatra, his wife, was found not guilty and the court revoked arrest warrant against her.

The court found that Thaksin had violated Article 100 and Article 102 of the National Counter Corruption Act, which states that government officials, including prime ministers, and their spouses are prohibited from entering into or having interests in contracts with state agencies under their supervision.

-- The Nation 2008-10-21

Thaksin gets more time to fight assets seizure case

Deposed PM Thaksin Shinawatra has until Jan. 4 to challenge a civil lawsuit by prosecutors seeking to seize his assets worth about 76 Billion Baht. A source in Thaksin's defence team said the Supreme Court has agreed to extend the deadline for 30 days until Jan 4. The original deadline for Thaksin to challenge the lawsuit was Dec 4. According to the source, the judge has also decided to extend the deadline for others involved in the case including his ex-wife, Potjaman, and his children to Jan 4.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/121208_News/12Dec2008_news07.php

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes, I don't get it either.

I mean, whatever cynical view I may have of this judgement, motivations, how it was reached, etc. I just don't understand how Thaksin is supposed to come back and 'fight' the charges. He has no avenue to fight the charges does he? He was found guilty - the appeal route is too late (if there ever was one), he fled the country, etc, etc.

If he comes back he goes to prison - end of story - right? How could he come back and 'fight' anything?

I think the point is, all the other cases against Thaksin are being delayed, by his failure to show up in court ? And those are the charges which he is being urged to face up to.

Personally I doubt that he will come, the trauma of having been found guilty in the one case, will no doubt have come as a great shock, to someone who believes that poo-yais are never to be found guilty of anything. The demand for a pardon, before he returns, supports this IMHO. :o

I think the point is, all the other cases against Thaksin are being delayed, by his failure to show up in court ? And those are the charges which he is being urged to face up to.

Personally I doubt that he will come, the trauma of having been found guilty in the one case, will no doubt have come as a great shock, to someone who believes that poo-yais are never to be found guilty of anything. The demand for a pardon, before he returns, supports this IMHO. :o

Yes..but being found guilty is one thing. Being sentenced to a prison term is another - that's the real shock for a Thai Pooyai. As you know, none of these guys ever go to jail, Dems, TRT, etc. I don't think he has any recuourse on that sentence, does he? If he sets foot here it's straight to the slammer right? Who in their right mind would come back to face that?

No - this thing about negotiating through his associates is all nonsense - it's just to make it look like they are trying to 'heal the divisions' in society and make Abhisit out to be Mr Jaidee.

They mean for him to fight the other charges which are still being considered.

Problem for Thaksin is that he would have to fight the remaining charges from prison (at least he'd be close to his lawyers) having already been convicted on one charge requiring a prison sentence. The remaining charges would likely see Thaksin remain in jail for much longer than the 2 years he currently faces. Also there would be the loss of face involved with the public transfer of Thaksin between the jail and the court which could backfire and drum up support for Thaksin if he plays the victim.

I mean, whatever cynical view I may have of this judgement, motivations, how it was reached, etc. I just don't understand how Thaksin is supposed to come back and 'fight' the charges. He has no avenue to fight the charges does he? He was found guilty - the appeal route is too late (if there ever was one), he fled the country, etc, etc.

If he comes back he goes to prison - end of story - right? How could he come back and 'fight' anything?

He could fight for one of the highly-prized corner spots in the 20-man prison cell.

He could fight for one of the highly-prized corner spots in the 20-man prison cell.

Sriracha John - in your footnote you refer to the TAT Governor - I guess this is the one that was involved in the criminal proceedings in the US over an American couple who allegeldy gave her kickbacks? What has happened with that case and with this Thai woman?

They mean for him to fight the other charges which are still being considered.

Problem for Thaksin is that he would have to fight the remaining charges from prison (at least he'd be close to his lawyers) having already been convicted on one charge requiring a prison sentence. The remaining charges would likely see Thaksin remain in jail for much longer than the 2 years he currently faces. Also there would be the loss of face involved with the public transfer of Thaksin between the jail and the court which could backfire and drum up support for Thaksin if he plays the victim.

I agree with the last sentence particularly.. It's always been my view that the establishment does not want Thaksin back here. It's just easier for the party of old-family money to return to the status quo of extended family business dealings if Thaksin is kept out of sight. Problem is he keeps opening his mouth. It's a game that's being played by these two sides. But they are both running out of wild cards..Thaksin faster than the rest of them of course.

If he names the names that keps hinting on (one of his wild cards), then so what? It just confirms what everyone had pretty much known about who was behind it. If he plays the other one and gives his view about why they launched the coup and then the silent coup, that could be quite explosive. It's probably why they haven't canceled his regular passport.

Even so, I think he's probably finished - and there is no possibility of his return to Thailand or politics for the foreseeable future. But 10 or 15 years from now?

I think a deal will be done to satisfy all parties...."for the good of the country"

That is what this most likely is about

I would think this is exactly what it is about except for the fact they are promoting it. In reality they never actually got Taksin on any of the big charges the junta wanted. I have read that they eventually got him on a technicality with a friendly judiciary. Taksin haters relax, I am not claiming he is innocent, just that they got him on a questionable legal point.

Seems to me it would be best for everyone if a deal was struck, no more Taksin in politics, and all charges disappear etc. Whether he would go for it is another thing of course, suppose it would depend how much of a position of influence he sees himself being in the future.

Unfortunately, if he ever comes back and ends up in prison, it's probably going to be some country club resort with a sign outside that says prison on it.

There are about eight cases waiting for Thaksin if he comes back, big and small, that can't be started in his absense - that's for what the junta allegedly wanted but let the legal system to deal with. It has been mentioned millions of times on Thaivisa, but apparently lost on Gravelrash.

As for Pammy - you have been here long enough to know that no laws were created to prosecute Thaksin and all his legal troubles arise from laws valid at the time he comimtted his crimes, like Ratchada deal from 2003 for which he has been convicted.

Both of you know very well that you posted incorrect information, and I don't want to speculate what was the purpose of that, but I guess last thing you care about is your credibility.

Okay, well come on now, Plus. Are you saying that the 'hallowed halls' don't jump to the master of the day? The master of TODAY? Or yesterday or whenever?

Surely you would agree that the same hallowed halls and gowns let Thaksin walk away from serious corruption charges regarding his driver and maids' share ownership.

So let's not go getting all 'overly-deferential' now ok? Cause that's really funny..

Easy.

Govenment: Mr. Taksin what do you want for forget Thailand and live us quite?

Mr Taksin: 70 bilion bath in this off shore account in Bahamas, secret nobody must to know and...forget international Warrant.

Government: DEAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o:D

Mr. Taksin: DEAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D

I would think this is exactly what it is about except for the fact they are promoting it. In reality they never actually got Taksin on any of the big charges the junta wanted. I have read that they eventually got him on a technicality with a friendly judiciary. Taksin haters relax, I am not claiming he is innocent, just that they got him on a questionable legal point.

I think you have missed one important thing: They have a list of cases waiting but in Thailand they cannot have a trial in absentia. So they have to wait for him to come back to be able to begin with them. So your assumption that merely one conviction would mean anything other than that that case was easy and fast to submit to the court and handle. Anyone ever seen trialscovering large corporations know the complexity they intail. Even more so for a former PM [that ran the country like a company, stealing the founds while handing the coffey cash to the poor to blind them].

How can Thaksin come back and fight, laws were created with a view to prosecuting him.

Please list what laws that was created, modified, amended or altered with the sole purpose of pursuing Thaksin legally.

Thanks in advance.

Okay, well come on now, Plus. Are you saying that the 'hallowed halls' don't jump to the master of the day? The master of TODAY? Or yesterday or whenever?

Surely you would agree that the same hallowed halls and gowns let Thaksin walk away from serious corruption charges regarding his driver and maids' share ownership.

May 2006 inaguration speech was a turning point for top courts. I don't claim anything on the part of lower courts, but the top judges have been straightened out on that day.

And the speech wasn't about following the master, it was about following the principles. They all got the point that it was original 2001 Const Court screw up that started it all.

By now no one is court's master, they don't answer to military, government, protesters on the streets, no one. And I don't believe for a second in the conspiracy theory that they get their daily phone calls from the palace with clear instructions what to do.

If this were true, surely he would not have been found guilty of anything, when his nominee-government was in power ?

The decision to leave, via China & the Olympics, was made after Thaksin had discovered that he wasn't as imune or untouchable, as he had thought he was. :o

Can't they just cancel his passports, normal and Official.............. :o

Inform the country where he is staying, then home he must come. :D

But no one knows where he is now.

He has a few passports. I don't know if he has a few nationalities.