21 Million Baht To Promote Tourism

gk10002000

I like pattaya. Been there on nine separate trips. Was just here during that airport mess. Didn't affect me much, as I had a later scheduled flight. But it did affect my decision to not stay longer. The traffic mess and the recent 30 day visa renewal limit down to 15 days iced it. With the airport mess, I just did not see why I should now wrestle with a roundtrip flight in order to get another 30 day renewal and pay more money to do it. I stayed 53 days and then went back to the States.

An article in Pattayamail said 21 million baht being spent on tourism promotion. I don't need any promoting. I know the area well enough. But if they want to induce me to go back sooner, or stay longer, here are some suggestions.

1. Lower some hotel prices, perhaps by subsidizing the costs or discounting longer stays.

2. Give more flexible lease terms for medium stays. Instead of 800 or 1000 baht a night even if you stay for three weeks, give us a true daily, then weekly, then monthly rate discount. The way the locals price things drives me nuts and drives me away from their hotels. Several places could have had my business, but even when they were 40% empty, they kept saying prices and terms that were not acceptable to me.

3. The current bus schedules to BKK are OK, although I would like one or two late night buses to be available. I believe the international plane arrival schedules are known well enough in advance so that one or two times could be picked where passengers would be likely?

4. Admit that there is adult nightlife and just make it openly legal. People are adults, and if they don't like it, they can go elsewhere. This "open" secret stuff is a bit childish.

yes, the emmigration couth many travellers by surprice by suddenly decreasing entry stamp from 30 to 15 days - the remedy now is to get several tourist visas in your home consulate and later in one of the thailand neighbouring countries.

the biggest problem with international tourists to thailand is the airfare - $2000 fare which we seen recently really does put off many poorer travellers. Thai airlines might lead the trend - however, they chose to be one of the most expensive airlines.

there is always a selection of accommodation from 400 baht/night (bathroom, aircon, fridge) or even lower without this conveniences in the guesthouses, to renting service appartments, to renting unservices appartments. It happened you were in thailand over the high season - if you booked your accommodation well in advance you had a chance for a better deal. If you are money councious go to pattaya at the other times, when the price halfs - or even stay away from pattaya, which as a touristy place, is one of the most expensive in thailand.