Poll: How Good Is Your Thai?

ThaiGeared_HighThaied

Speaking thai only, not reading or writing  

144 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is an interesting idea but I think your criteria may be too imprecise/undefined.

"I can converse in phone for hours" -- but make sense? or half gibberish?

"I don't need to speak english 90% of times" -- because you only talk with bar girls who haven't passed the sixth grade? needs qualification ...

"I mix it with many english words" -- the thais themselves mix in a lot of english words ...

The ILR five-point speaking proficiency scale would be more telling:

http://www.govtilr.org/ILRscale2.htm

It's a bit wordy but most people, using this scale, can self-test themselves with a high degree of reliability and accuracy.

Following this 5-point scale, your Mr Andrew would score a 4 or a 4+, not on the same level as an educated native Thai speaker. Your 'conversing on the phone for hours' could be as low as a 3, thus leaving a pretty large gap between your two topmost levels.

I would imagine most tv.com members would test out at the average for all native English-speaking Thai learners -- between 2 and 3. 4 would be very rare and 5 reserved for native speakers or possibly a few non-native speakers who learned Thai as children.

I only use English here, and most everyone I come in contact with everyday only speaks Thai, so I get lots of speaking practice...

Am I understood, and can I understand them? Yes, always...

But not always on the first try :o

I often find myself translating for guys who cant speak a word that have taken up with a Thai that cant speak a word of english...I have also helped Thai girls in their learning of english words.

I can translate written Thai to english and vice versa....I also write Thai words in english and english words in Thai.

I can find my way around Thailand, catch trains, buses, ask directions etc...without any help......

But according to that site, unless I am underestimating myself, I rate very low.

:o:D

If I've been living in LOS for a little while I am a 4, but if I leave the country for more than a couple of months I regress to a 3+.

When I am drunk though, I reckon I may hit the 4+ scale.

Of course, being drunk is always an advantage when speaking a foreign language.

I am not yet living in Thailand (moving there in February). I have been studying (in my spare time) from books and tapes for about two years. I reckon I am S-2 but maybe a little higher on the reading/writing front.

I don't think I will ever get above S-3. Unless the penny drops with the sentence structure. Who says Thai grammar is easy? Very hard for me. And my accent will always be awful.

If I've been living in LOS for a little while I am a 4, but if I leave the country for more than a couple of months I regress to a 3+.

I am not yet living in Thailand (moving there in February). I have been studying (in my spare time) from books and tapes for about two years. I reckon I am S-2 but maybe a little higher on the reading/writing front.

I don't think I will ever get above S-3. Unless the penny drops with the sentence structure. Who says Thai grammar is easy? Very hard for me. And my accent will always be awful.

I hate talking about my ability to read, write and speak Thai because I think that the moment you become satisfied with it - you won't progress. I am guessing that my level is probably a 4 to 4+. But the last thing i wanna do is pat myself on the back - you can always get better, I learn new stuff everyday. Anyway, as for pronunciation - i suggest this. When you speak Thai, actually make it sound Thai - even if it sounds like you are teasing the language! Kinda like how an English speaker puts on a French accent etc. After a while (6-8 months) it will become natural - it will become your way of speaking and it will sound really good. Try it...That's my 2 cents for this section. Enjoy the learning and don't think there is a destination.

Dan

I hate talking about my ability to read, write and speak Thai because I think that the moment you become satisfied with it - you won't progress. I am guessing that my level is probably a 4 to 4+. But the last thing i wanna do is pat myself on the back - you can always get better, I learn new stuff everyday. Anyway, as for pronunciation - i suggest this. When you speak Thai, actually make it sound Thai - even if it sounds like you are teasing the language! Kinda like how an English speaker puts on a French accent etc. After a while (6-8 months) it will become natural - it will become your way of speaking and it will sound really good. Try it...That's my 2 cents for this section. Enjoy the learning and don't think there is a destination.

Dan

Right on, navel gazing is never any use unless you're seriously concerned about your expanding waistline and it can lead to a stiff neck.

bannork.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the problem is with this sort of thing is that learners of a language cannot usually evaluate their own level. Having taught for a number of years this is normally obvious with learners of English, so I don't see why it should be any different for learners of Thai. Of course there are always going to be some that think they can evaluate themselves but this often only exacerbates the problem. However, you should have some idea of where your general strengths and weaknesses lie. The likelihood is, though, unless you have had years of regular classes -which I haven't- you are not likely to be very good.

The two guys I know who speak the best Thai never drink - TT.

I think you can speak better when you are confident and not scared of making mistakes, when you are relaxed. Not everyone needs a drink to relax, although it is true in many cases.

I hate trying to rate my Thai, probably as when I tell people I have been living here for longer than 10 years they think i should be fluent, which I am far from.

When people ask me how much I understand I say about 40%.

I do however understand 90% if speaking to the average bar-girl, for example.

I don't often speak to bar-girls these days though :o

Listening to a political program on telly last night, i would say I understood about 15% of what was being said.

I'am the same, when I'am drunk I speak Thai is so much easier, must be the no thinking factor.

2,3,4 posts.... and before you know it, the topic changes to focus on drinking. :o

I'am the same, when I'am drunk I speak Thai is so much easier, must be the no thinking factor.

2,3,4 posts.... and before you know it, the topic changes to focus on drinking. :o

I reckon he was drunk when he posted this, what's this 'I'am'?

• 6 months later...

From the result shown in this poll, seems at least 50% have

no problem speaking thai.

Then why i very rarely (5% maximum) come across any foreigners

who can speak little decent thai

Believe me, i have meet nearly hundred foreigners since my last

6 years, who stayed above 4-10 years in Los on average, and just

5% seem could handle themself when talking to thais for more

than 5 minutes conversation.

5% speak as good as Thais and Khun Andrew, hum?

I THINK THIS POLL IS over exaggerated

Edited by U_THAIED_UP_THAIED

1 New Years resolution. I MUST LEARN MORE THAI! And stop being so fukcing lazy.  Happy New year everyone for when it comes

I agree with you Jockstar. I must try to learn before the New Year but it is not easy as I am working out of Country and people want me to speak Urdu so I reply in Thai.

Edited by billd766

I first thought that as well, but if you think about it a bit. There a quite a few Thai people who are members of this board, which I would assume speak thai as well as Andrew Biggs, mabye one or two falangs.

I speak thai good (I can converse in phone for hours)
7 replied yes to that well probaby people like meadish, sabaijai, snowleaperd and a few others probably can
I speak not bad (I don't need to speak english 90% of times)
I think I put myself in this catagory probably along with quite a few others, probably as the next cat down was "speaking below average". I've been out here for a while and to be quite honest have'nt actually met anyone (falang) who could speak better thai than me (I cant read or write it though).I'm obviously not saying there are'nt just I have'nt met them ( I know I should get out more).I would by no means class myself as an expert although I probably can get by 90% of the time in thai albeit a bit stilted.

The other thing is the poll was conducted in the "thai language" section of a Thai expat forum, Hmmmmm you think that may affect the results somewhat? :o

1 New Years resolution. I MUST LEARN MORE THAI! And stop being so fukcing lazy.  Happy New year everyone for when it comes

I agree with you Jockstar. I must try to learn before the New Year but it is not easy as I am working out of Country and people want me to speak Urdu so I reply in Thai.

Yeah you'd better add me to that resolution too guys but I have the same problem as build766 although people want me to speak in Hindi not Urdu. Working out of the country does make it extremely difficult to pick it up although there is nothing to sto me from getting lessons when I'm home though (except for sheer laziness) :o

I first thought that as well, but if you think about it a bit. There a quite a few Thai people who are members of this board, which I would assume speak thai as well as Andrew Biggs, mabye one or two falangs.

I speak thai good (I can converse in phone for hours)
7 replied yes to that well probaby people like meadish, sabaijai, snowleaperd and a few others probably can
I speak not bad (I don't need to speak english 90% of times)
I think I put myself in this catagory probably along with quite a few others, probably as the next cat down was "speaking below average". I've been out here for a while and to be quite honest have'nt actually met anyone (falang) who could speak better thai than me (I cant read or write it though).I'm obviously not saying there are'nt just I have'nt met them ( I know I should get out more).I would by no means class myself as an expert although I probably can get by 90% of the time in thai albeit a bit stilted.

The other thing is the poll was conducted in the "thai language" section of a Thai expat forum, Hmmmmm you think that may affect the results somewhat? :o

Why thai members have to vote, are they stupid or what?

I do speak thai, and can say anything in thai, but speak very slow

and my sentence and grammer not proper, but they understand.

I think my case is more unique, because i don't live in thailand for

more than half a year.

Btw, i think 90% of Isaan bargirls can speak worse than andrew biggs

do you agree?

As noted before, I seem to be too stupid to learn Thai. I learned passable Japanese with a moderate amount of study. I've been coming to LOS for nearly 30 years and studied quite a bit over the past ten, but the results have been worse than dismal. The other day my girlfriend's daughter asked me what time it was, but my reply was so mangled (it was 5:30 PM) that she had to turn to her Mom for a translation. Even Mom didn't understand so I just replied in English. That little event made me feel awful for the rest of the day.

I'm determined to give up trying because of the confusion and embarrassment it inevitably causes.

Anyone else feel that way?

As noted before, I seem to be too stupid to learn Thai. I learned passable Japanese with a moderate amount of study. I've been coming to LOS for nearly 30 years and studied quite a bit over the past ten, but the results have been worse than dismal. The other day my girlfriend's daughter asked me what time it was, but my reply was so mangled (it was 5:30 PM) that she had to turn to her Mom for a translation. Even Mom didn't understand so I just replied in English. That little event made me feel awful for the rest of the day.

I'm determined to give up trying because of the confusion and embarrassment it inevitably causes.

Anyone else feel that way?

I believe this (the bold sentence) is exactly what makes it hard for you. Our ability to learn a language is very much dependent on how much we are affected by embarrassment, how much one minds making a fool of himself or being laughed at when one (inevitably) make mistakes.

I always ask, I always try to speak even when I don't know the right words - for example, if I don't know the word for socks I might say "sua tao", leg shirt, which is pretty stupid - but then I get corrected and able to learn from the correction. My grammer sucks, my vocabulary is a disaster, but when I speak to a Thai person I can converse, and be understood, with no English whatsoever, at most times.

I'm sure you're right.

When I used to come to Thailand as a tourist I found that I could communicate OK with the Thai's who worked in the sort of places I visited. Of course, vendors and other tourist industry workers who cater to visitors have a vested interest in being able to understand poorly formed Thai. So, I thought I was doing OK.

When I moved here four months ago I was gung ho to use Thai whenever I could and hang the embarrassment. Sadly, the success rate was zero and the embarrassment and fear of further failure has become more than I can tolerate.

I just don't want to go through it any more.