Visa Problem

Went to the Immigration office yesterday to renew my marriage visa. Previous six years I've experience no problems. Yesterday when I presented our savings account book to show that I had 400,000 baht on deposit, I was told that a new ruling on the marriage visa was that these funds could only be deposit in an account with my name only. I was given a 60 day extension and told to come back showing an account with the funds in my name only or a monthly income statement verified by my embassy. :o Anyone else run into this problem?

Greg

Went to the Immigration office yesterday to renew my marriage visa. Previous six years I've experience no problems. Yesterday when I presented our savings account book to show that I had 400,000 baht on deposit, I was told that a new ruling on the marriage visa was that these funds could only be deposit in an account with my name only. I was given a 60 day extension and told to come back showing an account with the funds in my name only or a monthly income statement verified by my embassy. :o Anyone else run into this problem?

Greg

I have been married for over ten years and have the appropriate official Thai marriage certificate, but when i applied for a marriage visa showing our marriage certificate together with my bank book showing the appropriate balance the marriage certificate was literally tossed back across the table and told that it does not matter if you have 20 million in the bank you still need to show a monthly income of B.40.000. No discussion was allowed and told "can not can not" icon7.gif

Most countries in the world, if you marry one of their nationals, will allow you to go and live there with no further questions asked. My wife, a Thai, came to live in the UK and now has a UK passport.

What's the point of asking you to prove your income? There's not too many farangs living off their Thai relatives is there ?

I have been married for over ten years and have the appropriate official Thai marriage certificate, but when i applied for a marriage visa showing our marriage certificate together with my bank book showing the appropriate balance the marriage certificate was literally tossed back across the table and told that it does not matter if you have 20 million in the bank you still need to show a monthly income of B.40.000. No discussion was allowed and told "can not can not" icon7.gif

Thats correct, you need an income of 40,000 Baht per month. The people that has a mariage visa with 400,000 baht in the bank are grandfathered under a previous law prior to October of 2006.

Barry

Thats correct, you need an income of 40,000 Baht per month. The people that has a mariage visa with 400,000 baht in the bank are grandfathered under a previous law prior to October of 2006.

Barry

I though it was just brought back in the new police order. Everyone should now be able to do it again.

Greg

Yours is not the first report of this since new rules came out on Nov. 25th. Prior to that date unless you were grandfathered the 40K income option was the one available and could be income from either the husband or wife or a combined income. Now it can be only the husbands income or savings.

Your only choice is to open an account in your name move the 400K into it. And then go back to immigration.

I have been married for over ten years and have the appropriate official Thai marriage certificate, but when i applied for a marriage visa showing our marriage certificate together with my bank book showing the appropriate balance the marriage certificate was literally tossed back across the table and told that it does not matter if you have 20 million in the bank you still need to show a monthly income of B.40.000...

I suspect that was when the rule allowing 400k in the bank was not valid. Mind telling us when it was?

--

Maestro

Most countries in the world, if you marry one of their nationals, will allow you to go and live there with no further questions asked. My wife, a Thai, came to live in the UK and now has a UK passport.

What's the point of asking you to prove your income? There's not too many farangs living off their Thai relatives is there ?

Not the point.Thailand doesn't want a farang use their lavish Social Security System,so they put the mark four times higher for the farang husband of a Thai national.It works too,you don't see boatloads of people arriving in Thailand in search of a better life as you do,for example, in Europe,where the social services are too bad. But,if you are Burmese (from Myanmar) and accept to be exploited by the Thais,you may have a chance. :o

Obviously you don't know a damned thing about "Most countries in the world". My wife can't get even a tourist visa to my home country without me showing a bank guarantee of 300,000 Baht besides me proving I can support her during the 3 months validity of her tourist visa besides me proving that I live a place with at least one room of minimum 20 sqm per adult inhabitant plus an upper limit on how many kids may be on that place.

Every now and then the TV-news shows foreign mothers being put on airplanes and deported to the outcry of their children and husband whose only crime were that his leg was broken and caused hospitalization 1/2 month last year wereby he got some social security benefits whereby he - and his whole family - got in conflict with the law that states that foreign spouses can't stay in the country if the national had got any social security benefits the previous year.

Not talking about some poor third world country here - talking about my socalled human-right-respecting Scandinavian homecountry. (Sorry, not Thailand related).

Barry

Wrong. The requirement is 400,000 in the bank OR 40,000 Monthly income as from 25th November 2008

The requirement is 400,000 in the bank OR 40,000 Monthly income as from 25th November 2008

To be precise, 400,000 baht in husband's account OR 40,000 husband income.

We had a problem at Phuket Immigration last month as we used the old rule of joint income , and our money is in a joint bank account. Luckily I had some money in an account in my name, and somehow the officer reconciled my 30K salary and 100 K in my bank account. Still waiting for Bangkok approval, so no extension issued yet.

The requirement is 400,000 in the bank OR 40,000 Monthly income as from 25th November 2008

To be precise, 400,000 baht in husband's account OR 40,000 husband income.

We had a problem at Phuket Immigration last month as we used the old rule of joint income , and our money is in a joint bank account. Luckily I had some money in an account in my name, and somehow the officer reconciled my 30K salary and 100 K in my bank account. Still waiting for Bangkok approval, so no extension issued yet.

Yes, Correct. The family income option was taken away. Rather unfairly.

You were lucky to get by with a combination of income and deposit as there is no such rule. :o

• 3 weeks later...

The fact that your wife now has a U.K. passport indicates that she has been living in the U.K. for some time. Thats lucky for you. The rules are getting tougher all the time at both ends. Your wife probably arrived in the U.K. before the relatively new ' Living in the U.K. ' test, which is a bit of an obstacle for some to get through. I even tried a sample test myself and got several questions wrong :o