Thai Airways Cut Domestic, International Fares

george

I have been checking thai Airways website for BKK-MNL-BKK prices, still 15k per ticket, same as before, sent my details to thai visa travel 3 days ago, article mentions,"fast reply" no reply yet. Whats up? maybe swamped? If they are that busy I dont need to bother them with another query, anyone else get a reply, hopefully for a discounted price?

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Thai teacher, who's brother works for Thai Air, says inside info reports Singapore Airlines has bought up 60% of Thai Air stock. Don't know the validity of the info........but could be some interesting times for Thai Air.

Thai is 51% government owned. Your above story seems very unlikely. Would have been publicly reported by now.

I would even say : idiotic.

I mean it's so easy to check... I just don't understand people who are eating bullshit for breakfast, with a smile and who will never doubt.

List of shareholders + %

http://www.set.or.th/set/companyholder.do?...&country=US

And Singapore... can you imagine the outrage in Thailand ? A small holding plus cooperation between the 2 airlines, sure, but not 60 %.

I flew Business class to Tokyo in early January, it was like going back in time, there wasn't even video screens in the seat backs, just individual screens that went into the seat armrests, inflight entertainment was a joke.

Very poor service, i wouldn't fly Thai again on that route if it was 50% off, I'd rather pay more and go with an airline that has aircraft with up to date facilities.

:o

What a mail! I'm using air crafts to come from Point A to Point B. I hope that not more people think like you do.....but 50% off? Sorry, but you must be sick !!!! Greetings from Sisaket.

post-39518-1232786992_thumb.jpg

The last time I used Thai Airways is in Dec 2001 and thought that I wouldn't use it again (unless it is a domestic destination and only Thai Airways flies there of course) .. the service and the food was mediocre .. the aircraft was old with bad facility .. and the airfare was very expensive .. even if the 50% discount is real .. I don't think that it's gonna be cheaper than other ones, esp. as the oil price keeps decreasing.

I've searched everywhere. Even went to the main office in CM. No one knows/knew what I was talking about. Has anyone found out where to fine these discounts????

I didn't read all 7 pages of posts, most of them, but from what I can tell, no one has come across any discounts.

What's going on? Did anyone read the article in The Nation that was first posted here from Thai Visa Admin?

It sounds as though the people at THAI think that if they make an announcement

everyone will believe it and buy tickets without checking...........

Rather like that deal of "buy one ticket and get one free", that they had a few years back.

It only applied to full fares and was still more expensive than 2 discounted tickets on other airlines.

It is time that they woke up to the fact that the travelling public does study the details of the offer.

Been holding off on buying my tickets for mid-Feb, but finally gave up and bought them yesterday to ensure I get the flight, class and seats I want. Asked my ticket guy about the discounts in the news and he said it was only on certain routes and none were close to 50%.

I have a sneaking suspicion that,when you look back and see they also mentioned trying to increase the number of Asian tourists, the discounts are probably on a few select Asian routes and that's it.

If I wasn't arriving in Dubai so late on a Wednesday, I'd take a different airline. As it is, it's either Thai or wait for another alternative and arrive 10-12 hours later the next day. Ah well, a 7 hour flight in business class, I think I can handle that after another 3 month stint in this place. :o

I've searched everywhere. Even went to the main office in CM. No one knows/knew what I was talking about. Has anyone found out where to fine these discounts????

Simple: It's bullshit. The announcement said *up to* 50% to stimulate tourism. Coincidentally, the tourism ministry recently suggested that airlines reduce their fares by *up to* 50% to stimulate tourism. Even more coincidentally, Thai airways is in financial trouble and looking for a 34 billion baht government bail out. The fares won't materialise, but now they have a headline out there pretending to be supporting loony government policy before asking them for money.

Or am I being to cynical?

Simple: It's bullshit. The announcement said *up to* 50% to stimulate tourism. Coincidentally, the tourism ministry recently suggested that airlines reduce their fares by *up to* 50% to stimulate tourism. Even more coincidentally, Thai airways is in financial trouble and looking for a 34 billion baht government bail out. The fares won't materialise, but now they have a headline out there pretending to be supporting loony government policy before asking them for money.

Or am I being to cynical?

Not at all. You're desperately pragmatic and full of common sense.

:o

I would go further : it's vaporware, it's windware. They all feel that the results 2008 (soon to be published) are going to be horrific. So it's a way to prevent the storm, to show that they are doing something, and a way to please the new minister (Thai Airways is begging for cash now)...

Look at the nonsense of the president (article from Nation)... He promises to keep the salary increases and bonuses, but in the same time to cut some expenses... So in that picture, a fares reduction (up to 50%) is pure science fiction.

Acting president ACM Narongsak Sangapong also assured everyone of the stable outlook and promised to continue bonus payments as well as salary increases. He said lay-offs would be the last option. The travelling expenses of high-ranking executives would be cut by half for six months while overtime, logistics costs and per-diem costs would also be cut, to save a total of Bt2.9 billion.

The whole article is a master piece of thai nonsense.

Edited by cclub75

my recollections of flying Thai airways (domestic routes) has been so-so service, sugar-laden orange colored drinks, and too-loud and too-drawn-out loudspeaker announcements - quite startling/annoying when trying to relax.

I believe Thai airways is very generous in allowing many to fly free (probably in privileged class seats). Am referring to friends of friends of friends - of those involved with the airline (other than baggage handlers and other 'little people') ...plus scores of VIP's and their friends, and so on. All those free flights don't add anything to revenue. When Thai gov't gives their inevitable bail-out, they should require a lessening of freebies for VIP's - ironically, the people who can most readily afford to pay their own way.

A quick look at the Conditions (note: Thai Air's spelling, not mine !):

1. Ticket must be issued on 01 JANRUARY 2009 - 30 MARCH 2009

2. Applicable for DEPARTURE FROM BANGKOK during 01JANRUARY 2009 - 31MARCH 2009.

4. All taxes and surcharges are excluded.

5. All flights are applicable on TG operating flight only.

6. Open date / open ticket is not permitted.

7. Ticket validity stricly apply according to TICKET VALIDITY box only.

8. Tickets are non reroutable, no upgrade .

9. Refund fee THB 5000 for totally unused ticket.No partial refund.

10. No discount for child . UM/ YP is not permitted.

11. Normal mileage accrual.

12.This promotion cannot be used in conjunction with other promotin included all upgrades.

TG reserves the right to change fares and conditions without prior notice .

(They really should learn how to use the Spell Checker feature of what ever program they use to make these.) :o

No North American flights noted.

Only one from the UK (BANGKOK-LONDON/MADRID/FRANKFURT-BANGKOK - 114,265 THB) and two from Australia (BANGKOK -BRISBANE/MELBOURNE/SYDNEY-BANGKOK - 93,535 THB

BANGKOK - PERTH- BANGKOK - 81,115 THB)

It looks like of the flights listed on that link, 27 are for destinations in Asia/India, and the other 11 are for Europe, Middle East or Australia/New Zealand (and none for North America).

Ah well, as long as they don't go under before I get my flights ! :D

I flew Business class to Tokyo in early January, it was like going back in time, there wasn't even video screens in the seat backs, just individual screens that went into the seat armrests, inflight entertainment was a joke.

Very poor service, i wouldn't fly Thai again on that route if it was 50% off, I'd rather pay more and go with an airline that has aircraft with up to date facilities.

:D

What a mail! I'm using air crafts to come from Point A to Point B. I hope that not more people think like you do.....but 50% off? Sorry, but you must be sick !!!! Greetings from Sisaket.

n

When I pay almost double for a Business Class seat I do that for a reasom, I also use Aircraft to go from Point A to Point B, I just wanna do it in more comfort than being stuck in the back with the peasants, screaming kids and uncomfortable seating. :o

If I fly Business Class with Singapore Airlines the service is excellent and I feel its worth the extra, the flight I took with Thai Airways certainly was not worth the extra.

Edited by Maigo6

Maigo is spot-on.

I also fly business class (and pay for it myself, not from expenses) because I want the peace and service levels. Thai are a bit surly. As with a lot of things Thai, there is still some self-delusion. Thais really believe that they are giving us a paradise, and that we should be grateful for the privilege. All the "Smooth as Silk" is crap. Bad service, overpriced, old planes. The BKK-MADRID planes are from around 1985.

I now fly Qatar. The Doha stop is about 1-2 hours. I can't fault the new planes, food and wines and nothing is too much trouble.

I have just checked the Madrid Bus Class fares again, on Thai. Still 125,000, and on one day 142,000b. No change, or worse! Qatar is 72,000+tax.

The only advantage is that Thai to MAD is direct, even tho' there are only 3-4 flights a week. If Thai drops the price to 72k, and competes on quality, they may see me again--but given the denseness levels, I doubt if they will change much.

P.

Used to fly Thai internationally between New Zealand, Thailand and the UK, but now only use them very occasionally for domestic flights. I agree with much of what has been written, that the planes are old, the service is averrage at best, the attendants can be very surly and overall the airline has nothing to recommend it.

On one particular flight from Bangkok to Paris, flying business class, for some reason the temperature was extremely high in the cabin so even trying to get some sleep without the usual blanket, was uncomfortable. I asked a couple of other people if they felt the same in the reply was yes, so on a number of occasions I asked the cabin staff if it was possible to get the temperature down -- -- and of course nothing ever happened so it was a very uncomfortable flight.

On another occasion, when flying long haul, I asked for a plaster from the first a box to put over a bite of some description, on my leg, which seem to be turning septic. It took about four different attendants and much explaining before a first aid box was found, however on opening it it contained nothing that could be used -- -- no plasters, no bandage, no creams or lotions of any description, just a pair of scissors and a few other strange nicnacs.

Obviously no one had checked that first aid box in an eternity.

I am afraid that became my last flight with Thai Airways, and now when flying I choose JetStar, and any other airline but Thai Airways. I really do not think that you can beat the JetStar flight back to Sydney or Melbourne -- -- direct, efficient, modern aircraft, and if you wish to pay about the same as you would on a normal Thai Airwways economy class, you can get the Start Class seats which are about the equivalent of business class on other airlines.

It looks a joke :D

50% off !!

It's loosing big money from Air agents pockets !

IT's better airplan dont fly than fly with 50% off

it is against economic

and impossible

i am not biritish but as i know many british ppls love thailand

so i checked airticket from london to bkk

and this is invoice :

Fly with Fare Type: Economy (it's cheapest flight type usually)

from London, United Kingdom - Heathrow, terminal 3

1 adult(s) x (3,418.00 + 223.20) = 3,641.20 GBP

total for all travellers 3,641.20 GBP

oops !! you realy give out this big money ?!!

ok!! have a good trip

Try www.westeasttravel.com for London BKK London flights :o

The BKK-MADRID planes are from around 1985.

the oldest Thai Airways B747-400 currently in service was delivered new in 1990. The youngest was delivered new in 2003.

You refer to www.airfleets.net ?

Well, something is wrong. I was flying a lot between Paris-BKK (B747) during 2004,2005 and 2006. And I remember, I saw the plate "1984".

Edited by cclub75

Champagne for Hubby

You will need to buy it as duty free or organise something on the flight as you cannot purchase outside and take it in with your carry on luggage, because it is over 100ml of liquid, these having to go in those silly little plastic bags you have to carry through.

THAI cut domestic, international prices

BANGKOK: -- Thai Airways International Plc (THAI) is cutting domestic airfare in between 45-55 percent from market price while dipping ticket price for international routes up to 50 percent, aims to stimulate traveling in first quarter this year.

"This is the first time the airline offers such extra lower airfare," Chris Chantalitanon, director area for Thailand, Indochina and Myanmar , said Wednesday.

Where are the cuts? I checked the prices from LA, California to Bangkok and they are still the same.

-- The Nation 2009-01-21

Book your air tickets here::

http://travel.thaivisa.com

That should not surprise you. Just because newspapers report that the cabinet decided to waive visa fees for a few months does not mean that free visas will be available the day after and even when this is will be implemented it may not necessarily apply to all countries and all consulates and you can bet that the web sites of consulates will not be updated within five minutes.

--

Maestro

That should not surprise you. Just because newspapers report that the cabinet decided to waive visa fees for a few months does not mean that free visas will be available the day after and even when this is will be implemented it may not necessarily apply to all countries and all consulates and you can bet that the web sites of consulates will not be updated within five minutes.

--

Maestro

Crystal clear (for some) on that logic.

Just to re-cap response from the past week's news:

-A sub-director from somewhere within the THAI system causes the biggest splash with a few lines in a small news article stating: "THAI is cutting domestic airfare in between 45-55 percent from market price". However, there are no details stating exactly when this might occur, what 'market price' means precisely and we're still waiting... (yet many pound keyboards expecting ThaiVisa travel and THAI Airways to magically and instantly comply/confirm??)

-One can certainly understand why THAI is demanding Govt staff fly ONLY with Thai Airways (they may need a trapped clientele to pay their often over-priced fares)... However, by stating they could match offers by ANY foreign carriers is a far stretch from comparative reality.

-Etihad and Bangkok Airways code-sharing announcement shows even a Bkk air with their 'captive' travellers and exclusive routes are perhaps waking up to reality.

-THAI needs a liquidity boost? - This is perhaps understandable as they were directly affected by the airport closures fiasco. However, signing hedging contracts which has 50% of their jet-fuel priced at approx $100 usd per barrel puts them directly in the red with most take-offs (jet fuel is priced at approx $65 usd currently).

Add in all the fat perks, a board full of Thaksin team-playing cronies (also on most state boards) defiantly set to protect vested interests and a union demanding 'entitlement' (even in a sea of red-ink), plus a sea of red-tape bureaucracy from management on down and it's not surprising THAI is bleeding red.

-Then there's the Airbus A330-300's on order but also blamed as another major cause of lack of liquidity (all fingers pointing anywhere but inwards). THAI management stated recently they'll try to further delay the A330-300's and extend leases on decades old 747's etc instead...

This is very telling of a Co without a plan or even a clue. Perhaps better to TAKE the Airbus A330-300's and fill the shiny new jumbos even with cut-rate fares. Phase them in and mothball the older fleet. This would greatly increase THAI's image plus with enhanced fuel efficiency and reduced maintenance, might even put THAI at break-even at worst.

-Finance Minister Korn is spot-on by telling THAI to put together a 'proper re-hab plan' before coming hat in hand and within 2 weeks. A truly professional management team is needed to turn around the fortunes of THAI (not connected and non-qualified cronies set on protecting perks and vested interests whilst bleeding public coffers dry as has been the previous status quo)

-GREAT news: The entire AOT board quits en masse. This was another 'gang' of vested cronies and they likely sensed their tenure of protecting vested interests whilst snouting in at the public trough was coming to close anyways. Good bloody riddance!

-As for THAI's board Finance Minister Korn stressed: "To ensure any rehabilitation plan can be enacted professionally, THAI would need a board of directors capable of guiding it through the global economic crisis". Thus, the writing is on the wall for the entire connected/vested lot as well and not a moment too soon (hopefully not too late though).

-According to SkyTrax awards, THAI has shown improvements in ALL classes of services... One wonders if passengers voting for THAI are basing much of their impressions from glowing THAI magazine and TV adverts? Certainly THAI deserves some kudos but it can't rest on mere PR campaigns forever (although purchased PR continues to work a charm for their former airy-fairy square faced and high flying chief;)

-Nok Air surprised many by managing to post a 30-million-baht profit this month and continues the positive outlook (could THAI learn something from their up-start offspring, despite all efforts to dumb it in line?).

-The #1 non-surprise is Etihad's figures. Along with EVA Air and others, THAI could perhaps take a note or two from some of their long-haul counterparts (with a paradigm shift). Etihad's passenger load was UP 34 per cent last year and on its Thailand route alone, Etihad posted 42-per-cent year-on-year revenue growth, with a 21-per-cent increase in passenger numbers. (!!)

* The good news is, THAI has a lot of room to catch-up. The bad news is, with the same old Management and board 'o vested Thaksin cronies, the National carrier has little chance.

Good luck to Minister Korn and may he NOT make the same play by placing vested interest cronies on THAI's board (no doubt the Newin coalition may try though). :o

Here's the real promotion information. First Thai Airways has no clue on how to promote a "promotion". The only way to get the promotional fares is to go into a Thai Airways office...forget online. BKK/PARIS/BKK online is over 80,000 baht. If you go into the office the fare, depending on when you travel, is 26,000 baht plus tax. A significant savings to put it mildly! So....there are some big savings to be had, but not online!

A little note I just sent off to THAI:

Dear Thai Airways Executives:

You may or may not be aware that Thai Airways International (THAI) is truly taking a beating in the international press as well as many popular online travel sites regarding substandard service and overpricing. I am not in the travel industry nor am I an economist however it appears to this former frequent flyer that your airline is being poorly mismanaged and customer service is becoming nonexistent. I simply want to make you aware that the perception of THAI service and value is now comparable to Thailand in general. THAI seems to see no value in meeting the needs of its customer base or improving traveler perception of a once great airline.

By way of example I would like you to read the running dialog in the Bangkok Post Opinion Section, Letters to the Editor, for the past week. I think you will be embarrassed about how the Business Class traveler perceives your airline. The overall theme of the opinions is that your service is in steep decline with no end in sight. The running joke around the world for years has been what is called “Thai Economics”. This proven theory outlines the fact that if the customer base and revenue decline a Thai business simply needs to increase prices to make up for the shortfall. This theory almost never works but is practiced until executives come to their collective senses of the business fails. The hotels and resorts in Thailand are starting to get it by halving their prices to save their businesses and keep employees on the job. Even THAI’s competition have all cut fares to stay in business while THAI cuts routes and services while holding the line on ticket prices.

You should have become aware by now that there is a global economic crisis that is affecting your bottom line. I did see that THAI is requesting a multi-billion Baht stimulus package from the government but without a specific plan to spend the giveaway. THAI recently announced that the direct flight to Los Angeles may have to be scrapped because of declining load factors. My advice would be to cut fares to be at the very least within sight of your competition. It is pure hubris to expect travelers to pay tens of thousands of Baht more to fly THAI especially when cabin service has gotten worse in recent years.

Finally, I just want to you and your staff to take a look at references to THAI online. Social networking and information sharing on the web is having a negative impact on your business in general. You need to Google yourself and see just what is out there. First impressions are the ones that people remember for a long time and what they see online will turn them off forever. One site: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Thai-Airways...at-t237126.html is widely read around the world. If it were me I would immediately get the appropriate management teams involved to stem the bleeding of your public relations nightmare. “Crisis Management Intervention” is wildly used in business and someone who went to school in the West will know the precepts or at least the concepts that could begin save your sinking ship.

I realize my criticism sounds harsh but many believe THAI is in crisis and prompt action is required to get passengers flying again. These problems are not going away soon or by themselves. Competent and strong leadership will be required to reverse the decline. I for one hope someday to return to the fold and fly THAI in the near future.

Sincerely, (grantbkk)

Wow grantbkk, an excellent letter and one that I agree with.

Unfortunately, it will either not be understood or just ignored.

I used to think TG's domestic service was so much better than western carriers, but now, it's just as bad. That's why I try to fly Nok. If I am not going to get anything special, at least charge me accordingly like Nok.

Wow grantbkk, an excellent letter and one that I agree with.

Unfortunately, it will either not be understood or just ignored.

I used to think TG's domestic service was so much better than western carriers, but now, it's just as bad. That's why I try to fly Nok. If I am not going to get anything special, at least charge me accordingly like Nok.

You're right to say the complaints and suggestions by everyone will fall on deaf ears. Who could possibly know more than an executive at THAI? Like you, I've spoken with my money and feet. Nowadays maybe because of Total Quality Management or some such thing they got going down there someone is responsible for reading and talking about my off the wall missive. They may get a good laugh out of it during a fully catered lunch before the obligatory massage that will help the executives perform better hopefully.