Rock Gigs In Bkk/ Art Bars

bellestar

sawasdee kha!

am rather new here in BKK and while i am a bit into clubbing, am more into the rock music and i would like to discover the music scene here. would you recommend good places where i can listen to some nice indie pop or ska or even thai rock? also would appreciate if you can recommend some art bars where i can chill out, where they exhibit works of local artists as well.

thanks in advance for all the suggestions! :o

PS i am getting the hang of thai pop nowadays too!

Edited by bellestar

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sawasdee kha!

am rather new here in BKK and while i am a bit into clubbing, am more into the rock music and i would like to discover the music scene here. would you recommend good places where i can listen to some nice indie pop or ska or even thai rock? also would appreciate if you can recommend some art bars where i can chill out.

thanks in advance for all the suggestions! :D

Pick up BK Magazine or GURU in today's Bangkok Post. Thai Hip hop :o

brick bar on khao san road often has live ska by a couple of thai bands, including a good one called t-bone. can get quite crowded, mostly thais.

DDM club around the corner from pra athit road in banglamphu plays indie and electro and is a fun little club, better than most in bangkok IMO, more of an arty crowd.

art bars? you tell me, not much of that here. there used to be a place called the about cafe near hualampong that had art exhibitions, live music, and poetry slams, but i am not sure it is still going. eat me restaurant somewhere off sukhumwit has art too but i find it a rather pretentious place. i know there are lots of little galleries which i have yet to check out- look for the bangkok art map (can get it at that cultural center across from MBK). also if you ask around in the art section at chatuchak market you might get some tips.

Here are a few, alpha order with music quality rating (my opinion only) in stars:

Ad Here (blues and rock), Samsen Rd ****

Brick Bar (rock, ska, pop), Khao San Rd ***

Overtone (rock, fusion), RCA ****

Park 2 (rock, ska, jazz), Sukhumvit 64 ***

Rain Dogs (occasional rock gigs, special events only), Rama IV ****

Rock Pub (rock, fusion), Phayathai Rd **

Saxophone Pub (blues, rock, jazz), Victory Monument ****

Shamrock Bar (rock), Khao San Rd ****

brick bar on khao san road often has live ska by a couple of thai bands, including a good one called t-bone. can get quite crowded, mostly thais.

DDM club around the corner from pra athit road in banglamphu plays indie and electro and is a fun little club, better than most in bangkok IMO, more of an arty crowd.

art bars? you tell me, not much of that here. there used to be a place called the about cafe near hualampong that had art exhibitions, live music, and poetry slams, but i am not sure it is still going. eat me restaurant somewhere off sukhumwit has art too but i find it a rather pretentious place. i know there are lots of little galleries which i have yet to check out- look for the bangkok art map (can get it at that cultural center across from MBK). also if you ask around in the art section at chatuchak market you might get some tips.

how can i go to phra athit road? yeah i heard there's a lot of nice spots to hit there :o

There used to be a night called 'Dude Sweet' and also there's one called 'Soma' but they arent at specific places and are held randomly. You can check both of these out on MySpace, I think Soma still do the odd night at club culture but its usually mid week. Not sure if Dude Sweet is still going. I went to one Dude Sweet night a couple of years back at club astra RCA (now 808) it was a 90's night and I loved it but never went again cos the parties they had always seemed a little too 'arty' for me.

I dont understand why there isn't a club that does an indie/rock night every week as Im sure they could get a reasonable crowd. Its the same with drum and bass, places like club 808 do a night every now and then but you need to keep your eyes peeled for the posters or you'll miss it. There are so many nice bars and clubs in bkk but theyre all playing them same <deleted> and also they seem to change owners and thus the name every 6-12 months, this all makes it hard to find a good club that you know u can go to every week for yr fav music.

If anyone has any new info on upcoming parties then do let me know!

There used to be a night called 'Dude Sweet' and also there's one called 'Soma' but they arent at specific places and are held randomly. You can check both of these out on MySpace, I think Soma still do the odd night at club culture but its usually mid week. Not sure if Dude Sweet is still going. I went to one Dude Sweet night a couple of years back at club astra RCA (now 808) it was a 90's night and I loved it but never went again cos the parties they had always seemed a little too 'arty' for me.

I dont understand why there isn't a club that does an indie/rock night every week as Im sure they could get a reasonable crowd. Its the same with drum and bass, places like club 808 do a night every now and then but you need to keep your eyes peeled for the posters or you'll miss it. There are so many nice bars and clubs in bkk but theyre all playing them same <deleted> and also they seem to change owners and thus the name every 6-12 months, this all makes it hard to find a good club that you know u can go to every week for yr fav music.

Dudesweet are still doing their own night. They've their own stage at the Culture One event at the end of the month and another night lined up for Toy in RCA (no idea where this place is).

Soma usually do a wednesday uni night in club culture. and they've got an 80's night coming up there soon.

Dudesweet are still doing their own night. They've their own stage at the Culture One event at the end of the month and another night lined up for Toy in RCA (no idea where this place is).

Soma usually do a wednesday uni night in club culture. and they've got an 80's night coming up there soon.

i wanna hit 80s night too! thanks for all the suggestions, i shall all note them in my weekend agenda :o

I dont understand why there isn't a club that does an indie/rock night every week as Im sure they could get a reasonable crowd.

You'd think so, but unfortunately it ain't like that. Whenever I've made the effort to get out to one of these joints, they are usually deserted. I just don't think there are enough Thais into Western indie - and to be fair, there are enough Ekamai and Thong Lo joints pumping out Thai indie, so why should they be?

Its a shame the music scene here is so sh it.lots of bands prefer to cover mainstream indie from the uk.

Soma is ok but again mostly the same indie shi te thats popular for 5 minutes.

Lulla bar has some good nights.nice place to hang out and pulls a decent crowd.

A alternative night would be great with some decent music like spaceman 3,jesus and the mary chian or the brian jonestown massacre.

Until then ill have to put up with africans MCing over 50 cent tracks.

:o

A nice little quiet walk/night out....go to "Ad Maker" on Thanon Langsuan(rock, pop,reggae, classics etc...), food is good too, beers etc......then you can walk 10 mins around the corner to "Brown Sugar"(legendary jazz/blues bar) on Thanon Sarasin to finish off the night.

I dont understand why there isn't a club that does an indie/rock night every week as Im sure they could get a reasonable crowd.

You'd think so, but unfortunately it ain't like that. Whenever I've made the effort to get out to one of these joints, they are usually deserted. I just don't think there are enough Thais into Western indie - and to be fair, there are enough Ekamai and Thong Lo joints pumping out Thai indie, so why should they be?

Try Lullabar, live bands every night except Monday, mostly Western indie. Mostly covers but Tuesday night Abuse The Youth play originals with English lyrics. It's on Mahannop Soi 1, near the Democracy Monument, not far from Café De Moc.

There's also The Tube, at the back of CocoWalk near BTS Ratchathewi. I've not been there but I heard they have bands playing international indie. That complex is pretty hit and miss as far as bands go.

And Brown Sugar sucks a big one.

In what respect ?

I've heard some nice jazz and blues there over the years, although I am no Jack DeJohnette calibre critic...food is ok...atmospheric little place....historic night spot.

My only gripe is that it is quite small so can get packed out quickly, and the layout of the place doesn't make for the best acoustics.

AdMaker is closed, I believe.

since when...i last went there about 9 mths ago.

A Thai friend told me a few months ago that it was closed, I think he said it closed in June 08. I've since heard from someone else that it has re-opened out of the town centre, on a ring road near Suvarnabhumi.

In what respect ?

I've heard some nice jazz and blues there over the years, although I am no Jack DeJohnette calibre critic...food is ok...atmospheric little place....historic night spot.

My only gripe is that it is quite small so can get packed out quickly, and the layout of the place doesn't make for the best acoustics.

Well, when i moved down to BK I was pretty excited to hit Brown Sugar. However, surly staff, overpriced drinks (it really is pretty expensive), very average food and bland bands turned me off after a few trips. Maybe I was unlucky, but it has that atmosphere of a place that has had a good reputation for so long it really couldn't give a toss anymore.

Saxophone is alright, except it is an awful layout for a live venue.

Ad Makers is cool for "Cover Band Bingo" - everybody starts with Hotel California and Zombie. Yawn.

Cafe Democ I have never seen with more than a handful in. Nice joint but no atmosphere when empty. (Not that it's a live venue).

Rock Pub at Ratchathewi is a great looking bar/stage but has too many teenage thrash-fan bands for my liking.

I'll have to check out Lullabar - had never heard of it.

In what respect ?

Well, when i moved down to BK I was pretty excited to hit Brown Sugar. However, surly staff, overpriced drinks (it really is pretty expensive), very average food and bland bands turned me off after a few trips. Maybe I was unlucky, but it has that atmosphere of a place that has had a good reputation for so long it really couldn't give a toss anymore.

Saxophone is alright, except it is an awful layout for a live venue.

Ad Makers is cool for "Cover Band Bingo" - everybody starts with Hotel California and Zombie. Yawn.

Cafe Democ I have never seen with more than a handful in. Nice joint but no atmosphere when empty. (Not that it's a live venue).

Rock Pub at Ratchathewi is a great looking bar/stage but has too many teenage thrash-fan bands for my liking.

I'll have to check out Lullabar - had never heard of it.

PC, I take back everything I ever wrote about you, you are way cooler than I thought. Rock on :o

Lullabar is to close shortly, which is a shame as it was such a characterful venue....I believe the lease has run out.

Also check out Noriegas on Silom Soi 4, it's right at the end of the soi. They occasionally have indie/alternative nights on featuring local live bands.

The Tube in Coco Walk Ratchetewi is about to start a regular live night every Wednesday. First show is February 4th (next Wednesday) Abuse The Youth are playing and there will be 2 or 3 other bands I believe.

Tonight there is a indie show at the Rock Pub, Ratchatewi BTS, featuring 3 bands....The Standards (brit pop), Tabasco (punky disco) and Blood Thirst Spider (punk/indie) all original material, not cover bands.

There are shows happening in Bangkok with some good bands but it's quite a small scene and would benefit from more support.

Most Thais seem to prefer the Thonglo or Ekamai bars where they can drink whiskey and sing along to the latest hits by Thai cover bands.

The best places to look for what's going on tends to be the social networking sites like Myspace or Hi5

sawasdee kha!

am rather new here in BKK and while i am a bit into clubbing, am more into the rock music and i would like to discover the music scene here. would you recommend good places where i can listen to some nice indie pop or ska or even thai rock? also would appreciate if you can recommend some art bars where i can chill out, where they exhibit works of local artists as well.

thanks in advance for all the suggestions! :o

I see you indicated you were into rock, and if you like garage-style retro rock covering the 60's through to the 90's, you could keep your ears/eyes out for KLONG MONSTER. I believe this band has a regular spot at Roadhouse BBQ Pub/Restaurant on the corner of Rama 4 and Suriwong Roads Silom on the last Saturday of every month.