Rock Gigs In Bkk/ Art Bars

bellestar

Saw New Young Pony Club at Tiger Translate.....The band were great, very refreshing to have a contemporary act play, there were a lot people (6,000+) at the event and overall it was a very good night. The only problem was that the PA was a bit quiet.

If anyones interested there are 3 good indie/alternative bands playing tonight at the Tube Bar in Coco Walk, Revenge of the Cybermen , The Papers and Bulleteen.

Free entry and the bands should start about 9.30-10.00

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its so disappointing that, when playing live in clubs, most of the Thai rock bands simply recycle the same old western shit; hotel CA, sweet home AL, zombie, etc.

thai rock and pop is fine and i'd like to see thai bands playing thai music but as far as i can tell, it doesn't happen in clubs and pubs, only in town/village festivals and they only happen occasionally.

do any of the places mentioned so far have thai bands playing thai rock and pop music?

Yeah Silly Fools, Modern Dog, Ebola, Paradox, Saturday Seiko, Saliva Bastards, Siam Secret Service... they all play Hotel California. :o Bands like this play frequently in places like RCA and events like Dude/Sweet nights.

If you go to dull places, expect dull music.

Hey, why nobody mentions my favorites SLOT MACHINE ?

I saw them first when I went to the "Thai Alternative festival" at BKK-Hall Lumpinee at the weekend of 28./29. XXX (cant read the month) year 2550. while the entire festival was less "alternative" than expected (with its fair share of Thai-sugar-glitter-POP), SLOT MACHINE rrrrocked......

if you dont know them, search any MP3 for songs such as "break down" , "paper cage" , "supernova" , "auto Lonely" , "you & me" , "we are the rock" (the titles of some great songs are only in Thai fonts so I cant type it here).

oh yeah, Ebola, Slur and Modern Dog are cool as well......

hey, now I got so excited, I feel like going to the TUBE BAR tonight :D

Edited by siam2007

Battles is coming to Bangkok!!

March 20, at Toy Club, which is apparently at RCA. Should be really good.

They're not really indie, other than sounding unique. They're sort of mathy, experimental rock. Definitely something to look forward to.

They're not really indie, other than sounding unique. They're sort of mathy, experimental rock. Definitely something to look forward to.

:o

yeeesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!!!!

:D:D:D:D:wai:

i missed the chance to see battles 2 years ago because of my first trip to bangkok

this is the perfect excuse to just go ahead and book flights now

now where the hel_l is toy club?

applause.gif

i missed the chance to see battles 2 years ago because of my first trip to bangkok

Update on the Battles show....

There is a change of date and venue!!

Battles will now be playing Saturday March 21st at Club Culture, Phayathai BTS

club culture?

even better!

i'm guessing this will this be a tickets in advance show?

club culture?

even better!

i'm guessing this will this be a tickets in advance show?

again, this looks great! :P can you give us more details please as to how to snag tickets?!

And Brown Sugar sucks a big one.

In what respect ?

I've heard some nice jazz and blues there over the years, although I am no Jack DeJohnette calibre critic...food is ok...atmospheric little place....historic night spot.

My only gripe is that it is quite small so can get packed out quickly, and the layout of the place doesn't make for the best acoustics.

Well, when i moved down to BK I was pretty excited to hit Brown Sugar. However, surly staff, overpriced drinks (it really is pretty expensive), very average food and bland bands turned me off after a few trips. Maybe I was unlucky, but it has that atmosphere of a place that has had a good reputation for so long it really couldn't give a toss anymore.

Saxophone is alright, except it is an awful layout for a live venue.

Ad Makers is cool for "Cover Band Bingo" - everybody starts with Hotel California and Zombie. Yawn.

Cafe Democ I have never seen with more than a handful in. Nice joint but no atmosphere when empty. (Not that it's a live venue).

Rock Pub at Ratchathewi is a great looking bar/stage but has too many teenage thrash-fan bands for my liking.

I'll have to check out Lullabar - had never heard of it.

I think you are spot on regarding Brown Sugar.

I went there a few months ago with my brother.

I really wanted him to see it, as I had a lot of good times there in the past.

The place is not maintained at all.

The toilet stinks urine.

The service was hardly there.

Pricy for what one get.

The food was average (used to be very good).

The music was so so.

Really a dissapointing evening.

It used to be so good.

Never again.

again, this looks great! :o can you give us more details please as to how to snag tickets?!

Advance Tickets for the Battles show will be available from Club Culture, DJ Siam (Siam Square) and The Tube Bar, 500baht in advance and 700baht on the door.

realised last night that the date change means this gig is going to clash with what could be irelands biggest sporting event in 50 years

noooooooooooo!!!!!

does anyone have any idea of stage times, it looks like there's a decent sized bill?

also, are tickets always available at the door for these type shows? if i'm heading to this i'll be flying into bkk the day before so won't be able to sort out advance tickets.

realised last night that the date change means this gig is going to clash with what could be irelands biggest sporting event in 50 years

noooooooooooo!!!!!

does anyone have any idea of stage times, it looks like there's a decent sized bill?

also, are tickets always available at the door for these type shows? if i'm heading to this i'll be flying into bkk the day before so won't be able to sort out advance tickets.

Battles should be on about 11pm

noooooooooooo!!!!!

Battles should be on about 11pm

sometime around 11pm would be perfect!

Full details for the Battles show:

DJ's

Magic Muffin and Plan B

BANDS

Gene Kasadit (ex Futon vocalist)

Revenge of the Cybermen have been building quite a reputation recently and are described as Joy Division meets Electro meets T Rex

Battles from NYC

"New York quartet gives ancient prog-rock moves a makeover - and a kick in the pants." - Rolling Stone

“Puzzle pop mentalists masterfully drag music into the future” - NME

Tickets available now from:

The Tube, Coco Walk, Ratchatewi

Club Culture, Sri Ayudhaya Rd

Dj Siam, Siam Square Soi 4

Battles_Flyer_WEB.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Full details for the Battles show:

DJ's

Magic Muffin and Plan B

BANDS

Gene Kasadit (ex Futon vocalist)

Revenge of the Cybermen have been building quite a reputation recently and are described as Joy Division meets Electro meets T Rex

Battles from NYC

"New York quartet gives ancient prog-rock moves a makeover - and a kick in the pants." - Rolling Stone

“Puzzle pop mentalists masterfully drag music into the future” - NME

Tickets available now from:

The Tube, Coco Walk, Ratchatewi

Club Culture, Sri Ayudhaya Rd

Dj Siam, Siam Square Soi 4

Battles_Flyer_WEB.jpg

Good show last night.

there was an ad in TV classifieds the other day for a 6 story building for rent on samsen not far from khao san road... great area for an "art bar", & if i had the money i would build a little gallery for local artists and a chill out lounge (NY style), with a dance floor in the back where my brilliant DJ friend could play. but alas, right now it is only a dream! if anyone else is in a position to bring something cool to the area have a look for that ad.

• 1 month later...
the battles gig confirmed how bad the local music scene is in bangkok although the decent crowd was a plus

i imagine it'll be a long time before a band as good as battles plays here again

...And You Will Know Them By The Trail of Dead Live in Bangkok

American Art-Rockers And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead will be playing Toys in RCA on May 21st.

The band are currently touring following the release of their latest album "The Century of Self "

This is the bands first time in Thailand and only Asian show on the tour.

todposterweb.jpg

Edited by wave

the battles gig confirmed how bad the local music scene is in bangkok although the decent crowd was a plus

i imagine it'll be a long time before a band as good as battles plays here again

American Art-Rockers And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead will be playing Toys in RCA on May 21st.

The band are currently touring following the release of their latest album "The Century of Self "

todposterweb.jpg

WAHEY!

I never got to see these guys live before but have heard great things about their show.

Source Tags & Codes is a cracking album.

So where exactly is Toys or is this eventually going to be moved to Club Culture like Battles was?

todposterweb.jpg

WAHEY!

I never got to see these guys live before but have heard great things about their show.

Source Tags & Codes is a cracking album.

So where exactly is Toys or is this eventually going to be moved to Club Culture like Battles was?

Toys is next to Club 808 on RCA.

The show is still scheduled to take place at Toys.

Tickets are now available at The Tube Bar located in Coco Walk next to BTS Ratchetewi and DJ Siam in Siam Square Soi 4.

hi there..I stumbled on a great place with a good heavy rock house band (lead by a female) just up from the Sala Daeng BTS station and down left hand side soi. Sorry i cant provide the name of the place as it was only last night and the memory is a bit hazy, but i will report more next time i go.

Alternately, i would be happy to meet up accompany your good self there!!

:):D

todposterweb.jpg

Not so long after all (since Battles). As long as they keep producing show like this, the Bkk scene ain't half bad. :)

Hi

May i know are the tickets started selling yet? how many ppl can this venue accommodate?

Thanks in advance, guys..

i am definitely be going to this gig, as i felt so dissapointed on the postponement of the 100 Bangkok rock fest last time round

its so disappointing that, when playing live in clubs, most of the Thai rock bands simply recycle the same old western shit; hotel CA, sweet home AL, zombie, etc.

thai rock and pop is fine and i'd like to see thai bands playing thai music but as far as i can tell, it doesn't happen in clubs and pubs, only in town/village festivals and they only happen occasionally.

do any of the places mentioned so far have thai bands playing thai rock and pop music?

There are a myriad of places around town that play thai rock/pop music. you just need to move your ass out of the 2 farang streets, that is, Sukhumvit and Kao San :)

Edited by aehn