Rock Gigs In Bkk/ Art Bars

bellestar

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dam_n it I forgot! I wonder if they'll have tickets left at the door? I'm gonna try!!!

they will have HUNDREDS of tickets available at the door. Club Culture is quite a big place and I don't think at prices of 800 Baht there will be a huge crowd, unfortunately.....

sawasdee kha!

am rather new here in BKK and while i am a bit into clubbing, am more into the rock music and i would like to discover the music scene here. would you recommend good places where i can listen to some nice indie pop or ska or even thai rock? also would appreciate if you can recommend some art bars where i can chill out.

thanks in advance for all the suggestions! :D

PS i am getting the hang of thai pop nowadays too!

Pick up BK Magazine or GURU in today's Bangkok Post. Thai Hip hop :)

Bangkok Rocks Sukumvhit Soi 19 has live local bands three nights a week.

just to remind you boys and girls (and B.O.F.'s such as me):

the BUZZCOCKS show is TONIGHT.

I am really worried they will play an almost empty house as no average Thai can afford to pay 800 Baht for a club-Gig.....

so the turnout will be 90% Farang plus 10% Thai-HiSo......

but nevertheless, don't miss that show.

I just checked their myspace-page ( myspace.com/buzzcocksofficial ) and they got enthusiastic comments from the Aussie-crowd, where they played earlier this week.....

The concert was great! The lads rocked it for an amazingly long set (especially considering their age :) ), and the hall was almost as packed as a Thai disco!

Did anyone get any decent photos? I tried to with my phone, but they didn't turn out. I saw many Thais with real cameras taking pics from the sidelines all the way through, I gave up as soon as the crowd started to surge. (kind of pogoing at the front, but more of a surging mass. I was impressed by the crowd ettiquette, we all helped to rescue a few that couldn't stay on their feet)

All-in-all, a great concert with a great crowd. I was also very impressed with a couple of older gentlemen that stayed right up front for most of the set, many kudos to them!

I am really worried they will play an almost empty house as no average Thai can afford to pay 800 Baht for a club-Gig.....

I just checked their myspace-page ( myspace.com/buzzcocksofficial ) and they got enthusiastic comments from the Aussie-crowd, where they played earlier this week.....

The concert was great! The lads rocked it for an amazingly long set (especially considering their age :D ), and the hall was almost as packed as a Thai disco!

Did anyone get any decent photos? I tried to with my phone, but they didn't turn out. I saw many Thais with real cameras taking pics from the sidelines all the way through, I gave up as soon as the crowd started to surge. (kind of pogoing at the front, but more of a surging mass. I was impressed by the crowd ettiquette, we all helped to rescue a few that couldn't stay on their feet)

All-in-all, a great concert with a great crowd. I was also very impressed with a couple of older gentlemen that stayed right up front for most of the set, many kudos to them!

I am happy to hear that my afternoon-call that day did at least produce one additional paying guest.

yeah most probably I was one of those "older gentlemen right up front" :D

though, I was a little bit worried about the fact there were too many drunk idiots, no security whatsoever in sight, and they sold beer in glass bottles. very dangerous - I organized more than 500 Club-Gigs in my home country and know what I am talking about.

As you said, thanks god the entire atmosphere was not aggressive, despite the few drunk idiots.

the Gig itself was great indeed, and I was surprised that even after 3 decades I was able to remember most of the lyrics ^^

the turnout was better than expected (250, I would estimate), though as I predicted, the crowd was almost entirely Farang, and a few local Punks were waiting outside with sad eyes..... no chance for them to afford 800 Baht. it's a pity...... If I had enough cash with me, I would have paid for them....

But really glad I made it to downtown BKK to see them...... and - very unusual - I wasn't even the oldest :)

too bad it's so difficult to find others (and almost no local Thais) who are interested in that kind of music here in Thailand, let alone people my age.....

Edited by siam2007

The concert was great! The lads rocked it for an amazingly long set (especially considering their age :) ), and the hall was almost as packed as a Thai disco!

As I was one of the "older gentlemen" down at the front I wasn't able to take any photos but my wife managed to get a few decent snaps and a couple of videos. I've attached one of the pictures.

It was a fantastic night and I've been walking around with a spring in my step ever since. It felt so good to pogo again after 30+ years :D

I even managed to grab a few words with Pete and Steve afterwards. They loved every minute of it. All credit to the promoters, the band and the crowd for making it such a memorable occasion.

post-79996-1259738719_thumb.jpg

Sorry guys! I guess I should have qualified what I meant by older as most of us (including me) that were there are in our late 30s to early 50s. That range is the new 30 (or that's what I keep telling myself! :) ), and we proved that we can all keep rocking hard!

Edited by Meridian007

• 2 months later...

i know this is a long shot and off topic, but does anyone out there know of any clubs or bars that have some kind of theme night. that play old school style independant music from the late 80s, 90s.

kind of stuff im looking for is.

mudhoney, sonic youth, pwei, the wonder stuff, neds atomic dustbin, soundgarden, ride, the stone roses, suede, pearl jam, smashing pumpkins, rage against the machine, incubus, alice in chains etc.... you get the picture.

used to be heavily into the club scene in and around the camden, chalk farm, tufnell park end of london aswell as going to gigs and festivals.

just fancied a trip down memory lane.

also while im at it, anyone know if hangman are going to make anymore new stuff. or have they parted ways. whats the lead singer up to now. will he ever go back with the group silly fools?

• 2 weeks later...

PLACEBO IN BANGKOK!!!! Yes, that's right guys, Placebo are playing in Bangkok this month!! It's not been very well advertised, and it was by chance that I found out about it yesterday. I got my tickets today, only 500Bt :)

The gig is on Saturday 20th March 2010 and is to be held in the large car pack behind Esplanade on Ratchada. It's the parking area of the 2 nightclubs there (Inch and Butter Butter).

More details here and here

• 2 months later...