Napa Nakorn Payap Nursery

dazzab

I assume you mean the old "Little Stars" facility near Nimmenhemin (?) I think the new one is open now (?) but we haven't seen it yet - way too far away for us.

Our little one went to "Little Stars" and we were quite happy with the service and price. It was quite crowded at one stage but then a wave of kids left around the time that NAPA opened, and the numbers became OK. Lots of staff there, and all quite pleasant and attentive it seemed.

We looked at NAPA a couple of times, certainly looks good. It even has a pool! I would happily give it a try, but in the end we decided on Sarasen school - and are quite happy there. It is actually cheaper than NAPA - at least in the nursery grade - although this was not the main criteria. One of the advantages at Sarasen is that they can remain there for subsequent grades if you/they really like the place. Of course you can move from NAPA next door to NIS, but it is a hel_l of a jump in cost.

The other kindy to look at is "Kiddy Bear" on the road beside the river (the one with good view restaurant in it) - but this one is very popular and has a waiting list.

I assume you mean the old "Little Stars" facility near Nimmenhemin (?) I think the new one is open now (?) but we haven't seen it yet - way too far away for us.

Our little one went to "Little Stars" and we were quite happy with the service and price. It was quite crowded at one stage but then a wave of kids left around the time that NAPA opened, and the numbers became OK. Lots of staff there, and all quite pleasant and attentive it seemed.

We looked at NAPA a couple of times, certainly looks good. It even has a pool! I would happily give it a try, but in the end we decided on Sarasen school - and are quite happy there. It is actually cheaper than NAPA - at least in the nursery grade - although this was not the main criteria. One of the advantages at Sarasen is that they can remain there for subsequent grades if you/they really like the place. Of course you can move from NAPA next door to NIS, but it is a hel_l of a jump in cost.

The other kindy to look at is "Kiddy Bear" on the road beside the river (the one with good view restaurant in it) - but this one is very popular and has a waiting list.

I appreciate this quote. I have spent a lot of time looking at Chiang Mai schools over a few years.

First, a minor correction. The current facility for Little Stars is located at the very end of Sirimangkalajan Soi 13 (east of Sirimangkalajan Road). There are lots of signs to guide the way off Sirimangkalajan. They are building a new school (K3 - 6) off the Superhighway south of town. I wouldn't dream of trying to give directions to it; just think SE near Macro.

Now, which is better or best? No quick answer.

I can vouch strongly for "Little Stars" through Kindergarten. Regarding pre-school, I have heard good things about "Kiddy Bear." Sarasen, one campus of a big chain of schools centered principally on Bangkok, from what I gather, varies from campus to campus. They have a lot of schools. I have no reason to have doubts about the new one in Chiang Mai (near and east of the railway station). I do not know anything about the new school (NAPA?) adjacent to NIS. I am less than thrilled that they have a swiming pool. So what? Do they have a library?

It would appear that Little Stars' new --- opens this year --- (K3 - 6) extension, called Ambassador Bilinqual School (ABS), will be competing for students along with Sarasen and the others like Waree and the other well-established bilingual school in town (Wichai.... someone help me!). They all seem to be in the same "price class."

Otherwise, I would say that you get what you pay for. At school preparatory level, I found that Little Stars was very successful in recruiting effective staff. But don't be fooled. You are not going to get appropriately trained pre-elementary and elementary teachers except in rare cases. Don't buy a BS line like "All of our teachers are appropriately qualified for their positions." Do they publish credentials and experience? Teachers at such schools might (in some, generally) have university degrees, but otherwise expect a hodge-podge of experience that doesn't include appropriate professional training. That does not mean that you won't deal with some lovely thoughtful people who often can be quite effective with young children, but --- sorry --- many of these teachers are on tourist visas!

On the other hand, there is clearly competition (which is generally helpful) among schools, and Chiang Mai is a popular destination for young, short-time teachers willing to accept rather meager salaries.

I'll say it again. You will generally get what you pay for. To return specifically to the original query --- at the price --- you'll probably do fine with all of the schools mentioned, but from teacher to teacher, it is impossible to say how things work out vis-a-vis your child. So, go look, and look carefully. And stay in touch and active yourself in the school.

Good replies thanks.

We checked ouy Little Stars, I found it small and it is pretty crowded upstairs for the 2yr olds - but everyone seems impressed by the "teaching" and care.

Will go and have a look at Kiddy Bears - had not considered that.

For now though, we are going to enrol the boy at NAPA Summer School for a few weeks to see how he takes it. As I said before the facility is beautiful, the kids have there own liitle cots for lunchtime naps, computer room with 1 machine per kid.

Probably can't go wrong with any of them and as you said nice to have a choice.

I appreciate this quote. I have spent a lot of time looking at Chiang Mai schools over a few years.

First, a minor correction. The current facility for Little Stars is located at the very end of Sirimangkalajan Soi 13 (east of Sirimangkalajan Road). There are lots of signs to guide the way off Sirimangkalajan. They are building a new school (K3 - 6) off the Superhighway south of town. I wouldn't dream of trying to give directions to it; just think SE near Macro.

Now, which is better or best? No quick answer.

I can vouch strongly for "Little Stars" through Kindergarten. Regarding pre-school, I have heard good things about "Kiddy Bear." Sarasen, one campus of a big chain of schools centered principally on Bangkok, from what I gather, varies from campus to campus. They have a lot of schools. I have no reason to have doubts about the new one in Chiang Mai (near and east of the railway station). I do not know anything about the new school (NAPA?) adjacent to NIS. I am less than thrilled that they have a swiming pool. So what? Do they have a library?

It would appear that Little Stars' new --- opens this year --- (K3 - 6) extension, called Ambassador Bilinqual School (ABS), will be competing for students along with Sarasen and the others like Waree and the other well-established bilingual school in town (Wichai.... someone help me!). They all seem to be in the same "price class."

Otherwise, I would say that you get what you pay for. At school preparatory level, I found that Little Stars was very successful in recruiting effective staff. But don't be fooled. You are not going to get appropriately trained pre-elementary and elementary teachers except in rare cases. Don't buy a BS line like "All of our teachers are appropriately qualified for their positions." Do they publish credentials and experience? Teachers at such schools might (in some, generally) have university degrees, but otherwise expect a hodge-podge of experience that doesn't include appropriate professional training. That does not mean that you won't deal with some lovely thoughtful people who often can be quite effective with young children, but --- sorry --- many of these teachers are on tourist visas!

On the other hand, there is clearly competition (which is generally helpful) among schools, and Chiang Mai is a popular destination for young, short-time teachers willing to accept rather meager salaries.

I'll say it again. You will generally get what you pay for. To return specifically to the original query --- at the price --- you'll probably do fine with all of the schools mentioned, but from teacher to teacher, it is impossible to say how things work out vis-a-vis your child. So, go look, and look carefully. And stay in touch and active yourself in the school.

I can tell you that NAPA employ full time contract staff who go through an interview process etc whereas Little Stars basically employ any English speaker that moves and is willing to work part time for the pittance that they pay.

Has anyone experience of Varee for two year olds? we went and looked, and it seems good?

Iain

Iain, Are you talking about the Varee nursery facility next to Floral Condo? We looked at it and thought it was OK at the time, though fairly spartan. But after eventually seeing most of the other nursery schools and kindies in CNX, there are better places available (at least in terms of appearance) and for less money too.

... in the end we decided on Sarasen school - and are quite happy there. It is actually cheaper than NAPA - at least in the nursery grade - although this was not the main criteria. One of the advantages at Sarasen is that they can remain there for subsequent grades if you/they really like the place. Of course you can move from NAPA next door to NIS, but it is a hel_l of a jump in cost.

Oops, sorry, for the sake of accuracy the name I meant to type was 'Sarasas Witaed' school - not Sarasen