Thai Airways Silver Card

johnfb

s.gifs.gifs.gif

s.gifarrow_grey.gifs.gif

ropgoldcard_web.jpg

This top tier status is attained with Qualifying Miles earned during 3 evaluation periods.

50,000 Qualifying Miles Miles from the date of enrolment up to December 31 of the same year, or 50,000 Qualifying Miles during the first complete calendar year after enrolment, a calendar year defined as January 1 to December 31 of any given year.

80,000 Qualifying Miles from the date of enrolment up to December 31 of the next complete calendar year.

40 international flown sectors on THAI within any 1 calendar year

http://www.thaiair.com/Royal_Orchid_Plus/S...0and%20Benefits

To our OP.

No you don't get to use the lounge on a silver.

I never quite seem to make it to gold 'coz of their policy of resetting your mileage every January. Often get enough miles in 12 months, never quite enough in a calendar year :o

To our OP.

No you don't get to use the lounge on a silver.

I never quite seem to make it to gold 'coz of their policy of resetting your mileage every January. Often get enough miles in 12 months, never quite enough in a calendar year :o

I believe the OP has got the answer.

@Crossy:

If you can hardly be able to get the status within its periodical resetting mileage, you can try by switching to other airlines.

As TG is one of A* member, you may try other carriers that offer your routine routes having more flexible policies in term of re-qualifying timeline. By Gold status earned on any A* airlines, you are certainly entitled to use any A* lounge dedicated for your status and redeem on TG flights.

For me the calendar year rule rather than 12 month period is a weakness of the scheme. I had to fly back just before new year just to get gold even though i had only been a member for 8 months.

This gets me every year, last year I was 8,000 miles short, and would have hit it last week if not for the re-set. If its just the lounge you want, get an Amex or Citi Thai Airlines co-branded credit card, or a K-Bank Platinum credit card. All allow access to the TG Biz Class lounge at Suwanabpumi.

I've given up on Thai Airways and their frequent flyer program. In the last two years I should have qualified for their silver status but have failed to do so for two reasons:

The change of policy which restricts award of air miles with the lower cost economy tickets

The inability of Thai Airways to accurately record and credit air miles or correct their mistakes through normal channels

When I was last at Suvarnabhumi airport I spent nearly an hour with Thai Airways staff trying to sort out omissions on my account. Their reaction was to admit that there was little chance of this being successful without going to the main ROP office in BKK. I had previously submitted copies of boarding cards & e tickets for missing miles at Suvarnabhumi, again without success.

My response has been to give up on Thai and now I use EVA............Better aircraft and miles are logged without any problems

This gets me every year, last year I was 8,000 miles short, and would have hit it last week if not for the re-set. If its just the lounge you want, get an Amex or Citi Thai Airlines co-branded credit card, or a K-Bank Platinum credit card. All allow access to the TG Biz Class lounge at Suwanabpumi.

I use a platinum Amex/Thai Airlines linked card, but I cannot use it to access business class lounges. Can you give me any reference in print of this? Then I can wave it under their noses the next time I fly. :o

If you use your Thai frequent flyer card on Thai international, you get awarded 1 mile for each mile.

If you use the card with any other Star Alliance member, you only get 50% of the miles.

I beg to differ.It might be the case with certain ticket coding. I fly with Singapore & credit my Thai Airways card & always get 100% mileage.

Silver member myself and think its next to worthless...

I don't fly enough within Thailand to become a Royal Orchid gold member....

I suggest switching to another Star Alliance airline, and mind the booking codes when flying on Thai.

I am a long time Platinum Elite member with Continental Airlines and I cannot wait for them to switch to the Star Alliance (Lounge access becomes non-issue)

Lately I have stopped flying Thai international to LAX because of the not so competitive fares. I flew on Eva air last week from SFO and really enjoyed it, never mind that the flight cost me 541 USD including tax..

Next up Singapore air..

I use a platinum Amex/Thai Airlines linked card, but I cannot use it to access business class lounges. Can you give me any reference in print of this? Then I can wave it under their noses the next time I fly. :o

I also have the platinum Amex/TG card and haven't been able to use the lounge either. Would also love any confirmation that this is the case, as I can't find it in my Amex handbook.

I also have the platinum Amex/TG card and haven't been able to use the lounge either. Would also love any confirmation that this is the case, as I can't find it in my Amex handbook.

Still have my Amex/Thai handbook, lounge access is not mentioned.

I don't think silver is worth going for anyway. Gold has good benefits but silver doesn't warrant the loyalty.

Only benefit for silver is extra kg's in thai flights and i usually get a way with it in other *A flights as well by flashing Thai silver card.

Then again, what other *A airline will give you gold status for 50k miles ? I remember most of them require 100k or more for gold status ?

I don't think silver is worth going for anyway. Gold has good benefits but silver doesn't warrant the loyalty.

Only benefit for silver is extra kg's in thai flights and i usually get a way with it in other *A flights as well by flashing Thai silver card.

Then again, what other *A airline will give you gold status for 50k miles ? I remember most of them require 100k or more for gold status ?

Singapore Airlines will - 50k qualifying miles gets me my KrisFlyer Gold card every year - and I may add that the majority of my long haul miles are actually flown on TG these days as SQ's biz fares to the UK are highly 'ambitious' - never had a problem with lounge access or missing miles, plus SQ's website is much much better for redemption bookings etc.

Guess the only drawback for those of you resident in Thailand is not sure you can credit spend on a Thai Amex card to a Krisflyer account?

CC

Singapore Airlines will - 50k qualifying miles gets me my KrisFlyer Gold card every year - and I may add that the majority of my long haul miles are actually flown on TG these days as SQ's biz fares to the UK are highly 'ambitious' - never had a problem with lounge access or missing miles, plus SQ's website is much much better for redemption bookings etc.

Guess the only drawback for those of you resident in Thailand is not sure you can credit spend on a Thai Amex card to a Krisflyer account?

CC

Do they do anything like the TG Gold Upgrade when you qualify? For me that's a major attraction.

I use my normal Citi Platinum to get into the Louis Tavern lounges at Suvarnabhumi twice a year for free, I could also pay with the card to get in when the freebies run out, it's somewhere between 1000-1500 baht a pop.

You can see the benefits here

Scroll down and open the Platinum Select Travel Benefits tab

But as you can see this is not the Royal Orchid Lounge..

CC

Do they do anything like the TG Gold Upgrade when you qualify? For me that's a major attraction.

Not sure what you meant by mentioning TG upgrade, but it's about the same thing when you have successfully upgraded to KrisFlyer (Singapore Airlines FF) Gold. There are benefits that you may easily found on Singapore Airlines website: got priorities check-in, check-in luggaged tag (and this is so amazing, SQ handles this so wonderfully..meaning you are among the first ones to collect from the baggage claim station!), access to any A* lounges dedicated.

However, the core service in Singapore Airlines FF is not with Silver or Gold, that lies on PPS club.

And yeah, Captain Chaos, the redemption process on SQ website is painless indeed, if not super-convenient ( they always have 15% off , but this time round 25% off and even 50% for some routes). That makes me far behind to catch any status on Thai Airways although TG is my another preferred airline besides SQ.

Edited by kevindk

Not sure what you meant by mentioning TG upgrade, but it's about the same thing when you have successfully upgraded to KrisFlyer (Singapore Airlines FF) Gold. There are benefits that you may easily found on Singapore Airlines website: got priorities check-in, check-in luggaged tag (and this is so amazing, SQ handles this so wonderfully..meaning you are among the first ones to collect from the baggage claim station!), access to any A* lounges dedicated.

However, the core service in Singapore Airlines FF is not with Silver or Gold, that lies on PPS club.

And yeah, Captain Chaos, the redemption process on SQ website is painless indeed, if not super-convenient ( they always have 15% off , but this time round 25% off and even 50% for some routes). That makes me far behind to catch any status on Thai Airways although TG is my another preferred airline besides SQ.

I mean the automatic free upgrade on a return ticket anywhere on their network. So if I want to fly LHR-SYD in business class, then once during the membership period (or more if I accrue a lot of miles) I can buy an economy ticket but fly in C at no extra cost in cash or miles.

Plus today I received a certificate to give me a free upgrade on any single leg just by presenting it at check-in, subject to availability.

The silver card is practically worthless. I don't see a single benefit that can be used. You migh tbe able to ge someting like an extra 10kg of baggage.

I flew 3 round trips from lax-bkk and still was unable to get a gold card. Guess what? The mileage was reset last December so now I have to do it all over again.

Just for the lounge I don't even try anymore, swampy I jsut sit and shop or even eat at the buger king.

I get better priced tickets on other airlines and other airlines don't have the miles expiring.

Would you believe that Singapore airlines you still get 100% of the miles if you fly with Thai? and they don't expire?

With TG you might even get only 50% if you buy a discounted ticket.

I have the silver with thai, late last year i received an email for a promotion with regus, it gives free access and internet at all regus offices, also free drinks, it doesn't give you an office but allows you to use the lounge at any regus office worldwide. I checked the value and its valued at 300 USD

Edited by redscouse

The silver card is practically worthless. I don't see a single benefit that can be used. You migh tbe able to ge someting like an extra 10kg of baggage.

I just returned from an overseas trip a week or so back, and when confronted with some 300 people all trying to check in for the same flight, it was pure joy to sail throught the business check in with only one person in front of me. Worth it alone for that, plus excess baggage, plus priority tagging on your bags. :o

Looking at the Krisflyer page I don't see any benefit to it over Royal Orchid Plus, especially at gold level where ROP has some generaous giveaways. SQ also have booking classes that get no miles and did before TG.

The worst IMO is BA where you can only progress up the tiers by flying premium classes no matter how many miles you do in economy.

I just returned from an overseas trip a week or so back, and when confronted with some 300 people all trying to check in for the same flight, it was pure joy to sail throught the business check in with only one person in front of me. Worth it alone for that, plus excess baggage, plus priority tagging on your bags. :o

Royal Orchid Plus Silver can use the business class check-in lines?

Not officially, but waving your card can often get priority in the mele (not at Swampy). The Thai staff at Bengaluru actively look for ROP members to use the business class checkin :o

Not officially, but waving your card can often get priority in the mele (not at Swampy). The Thai staff at Bengaluru actively look for ROP members to use the business class checkin :o

I'll have to remember that. In all the years of having Silver ROP, I've never tried that once nor have ever been offered the opportunity to use business class check-in.

Although both of our Goldies have expired and prob.will never return we still use the tags on our luggage and last week wifee checked in at First Class desk at Heathrow (after being called over)

Purely by co -incidence she got an upgrade award in the post on the day on the day she was leaving...dont know why but MPRai.

We are now tend to spend or jollies/ travel with Etti -Emmi...maybe aerof but I got her a R/t on Thai last week for £492 so case of dont spite the old mush..etc. :o

Had a couple of years using the lounges ...Heathrow...Red Cap -Singas-Thai in Los plus some in Aus....but now quite like the VIP room in Magic Food." Suwanna.

Usually silver card members are not allowed to use business class check-ins. However some airports have their royal orchid check-in counters with the business class check-ins. But anyone with a star alliance card can do that. Doesn't mean it has to be TG. The 10kg does help now and then. The priority baggage doesn't really mean much. The bags arrive approximately around the same time. Well maybe 5 mins later. However you do get priority waitlisting and standby. But one still loses out compared to gold. I like how on gold your flights are pretty much guaranteed.