Phuket Protests Biased Reporting In Global Media

george

Phuket protests biased reporting in global media

BANGKOK: -- Unbalanced reports, many chasing sensational stories, are impeding the revival of the Thai resort of Phuket after the devastating tsunamis, a local magazine protested Wednesday.

"The news broadcast by global satellite TV and news organisations in the past week have given the impression that Phuket has been wiped out by the tsunami and now lies in ruins," said an e-mail sent by the management of "Phuket" magazine to around 50 journalists based in Thailand.

The devastating tsunamis hit six southwestern provinces in Thailand Dec 26, with the two high-end resort islands of Phi Phi in Phuket province and Khao Lak in the neighbouring Phangnga province being the worst affected, reports Xinhua.

In Phangnga alone, the authorities have discovered 4,134 bodies, while only 262 deaths were confirmed in Phuket.

However, since the first day of disaster, the better-known Phuket started serving as a coordination centre for disaster-relief efforts and media reports due to its better facilities and accommodation ability.

Phuket's exposure in world media has led to a misunderstanding of its reality after the disaster, which will only further hurt the island, according to the magazine.

Although most of the island's facilities remain intact, local tourist agencies have had to deal with unprecedented cancellations after the disaster, the magazine said.

"There is no shortage of drinking water, food or serious threat of disease," said the e-mail.

"Life in Phuket is surprisingly normal - if saddened by the deaths," the writer of the e-mail said asking recipients to forward the message to more foreigners.

Thailand's Interior Minister Phokin Palakul Sunday held a press conference on the Patong Beach of Phuket, declaring the area open for tourists.

--Indo-Asian News Service 2005-01-05

Statement from Phuket.com:

Phuket Island and the surrounding coastal areas, including Krabi, Phi Phi and Khao Lak were exposed to the Tsunami which hit on the morning of December 26th. There was extensive damage to beachfront hotels and sadly many casualties. Our heartfelt condolences go out to those who have been affected.

While urgent and immediate relief efforts go on, in severely affected areas like Khao Lak and Phi Phi Island, it is important to note there are areas of the coastline in Phuket and Krabi provinces that remain almost untouched; with many resorts operating at, or near, normal levels. In some areas, tourists who were unaffected and whose accommodation remains intact have decided to stay on. As each day passes, more and more people are out swimming, sunbathing and making the most of their remaining holiday. At Patong Beach in Phuket, where the beachfront was badly hit, much of the entertainment area was operating in time for the New Year's Eve celebrations.

Now, as the extensive clean up operation progresses and everyone works together to help with disaster relief and re-construction, many travel associations and industry experts are turning their attention to the longer term economic problems that will arise and encouraging visitors not to cancel reservations. Most hotels and resorts are operating normally, beaches look better than ever, and many restaurants are open for business as usual.

So, please read the up to date status reports we have gathered, look at the photos and make your own decision. Thousands of Thai nationals earn their living from tourism and once the immediate impact is over, survivors face not only the grief of their losses, but also unemployment with no income to sustain their families.

By coming and contributing to the local economy you will be doing something useful and constructive and still be having a wonderful holiday in one of Thailand's most scenic destinations.

Please Note: Koh Samui and Pattaya are NOT affected, as they are in the Gulf of Thailand on the east coast of southern Thailand. On the west coast, Krabi has been almost untouched.

--Phuket.com 2005-01-05

That's interesting. On a more positive note, I don't think a majority of Americans had even heard of Phuket before the tsunami. It's possible that, ironically, the exposure could be good for tourism in the long run from American tourists despite fears of future tsunamis.

This is making the rounds and is true.

While Patong beach road looks a mess and much of kamala also, the rest of the island is fine.

Dear Friend,

Phuket has just suffered a human grave tragedy, but now its people

are again threatened. This new threat comes from educated

Europeans, Americans, Australians and others -- most of whom know

better, but have to compete and sell. Sell news. Beat the

competion.

This commercial approach to disaster news threatens unmeasurable harm

to the very survivors of this tsunami tragedy who need help from the

West, not increased hardship.

The news broadcast by global satellite TV and news organizations in

the past week has given the world the impression that Phuket has been

wiped out by the tsunami and now lies in ruins. Unbalanced, almost

unethical reports have been seen on famed channels including BBC and

CCN, reaching 100s of millions of viewers. I have seen discussion of

the situation in Phuket voiced over horrific background images of

complete devastation stretching to the horizon - taken in Sumatra.

Phuket's truth is very different. Though a few hundred people were

tragically killed by the tsunami on the beaches here, little of the

island has been harmed by the waves.

Almost none of Phuket's infrastructure has been closed down.

More than 80% of its hotel rooms remain open to business as usual.

Only a small percentage of the restaurants, shops, bars and

attractions have been distrupted.

Few places suffered damage more than 100 metres from the beach.

There is no shortage of drinking water, food or serious threat of

disease (nor lack of helpful, smiling people).

Life in Phuket is surprisingly normal - if saddened by the deaths.

Two places in Thailand were 'wiped out' -- Phi Phi Island, 48

kilometres southest of Phuket, and Khao Lak, 100 kilometres north in

neighbouring Phang Nga province. They are our neighbours, and we

feel for them.

Each time international news organizations and foreign newspapers

talk of Phuket in the same apocalyptic terms as Sumatra, Sri Lanka or

Khao Lak they are hurting the chances of the local Thais in Phuket

picking up their lives again. Poor quality reporting and focus on the

sensational chases away future tourist clients, ensuring these

people's lives will be difficult for much longer.

Every day that such false impressions of Phuket continue means

increased hardship for its people. Correcting this is where you can

help.

To give precise information on the situation on Phuket we at

Thai-based ARTASIA PRESS have put eye-witness accounts of the island,

beach-by-beach onto our website (below). If you love or like Phuket,

are interested in it, or otherwise want to help its people get

through these difficult times, please look at the real situation.

And, please, forward this message of reality to as many friends as

you possibly can.........

Sincerely,

John Everingham

Publisher,

ARTASIA PRESS

Bangkok, Phuket, Samui and Bali

Thank you so much for the update on Phuket. I am telling everyone who calls or drops in for information that they should not believe everything the media tells them but that they should still go to Thailand - that there are numerous people there that are working to get the Phuket area back into tourist condition, and that the more tourists there are, the faster Thailand will recuperate.

One thing - for everyone visiting Thailand - please register with your home country's Embassy! Although the tsunami is over, there are many natural disasters that could strike (just as in any other country) and if your Embassy knows you're there, it makes things much easier if anything does happen.

With very kind regards,

FrancieL

John Everingham/Artasia owns 'Tropical Homes' - a glossy magazine that sells upmarket real estate. A characteristic of the magazine is its unmitigated bullish optimism about every real estate market it covers.

I think that all this "now is a better time to come than ever, with the clean clean beaches" (ok i'm exaggerating a bit).....is becoming a bit..... indecent.

I'm going to Phuket next week, but i'm quite capable of weighing the issues myself. A lot of people just don't fancy going to a place where something so tragic has recently happened. No amount of blurb, spin - ...or even facts will change their view if it is heartfelt.

patong will surely welcome you when you come.

Really, the whole island was not hit. Patong lost 150 meters from the sea and up.

People are on the beach in Karon and Kata and lam Singh and at the resorts in laguana but not yet in Patong or kamala.

The beaches have not been this clean in 15 years!!!

yes John owns tropical homes and Phuket magazine, He also swam the Mekhong in the 70"s to rescue his wife out of laos.

The thai people lost alot on the 26th. They now need to try and make something for their familes.

Guaranteed this will NOT affect the local market of million dollar homes.

This was a fluke of nature

Yes John Everingham swum the Mekhong (underwater) and is a great photographer. His son Ananda is a rising star and I enjoyed meeting him.....but John is also a businessman...and his financial interests are better served by a thriving Phuket.

Journalists financial interests are served by selling jazzy stories of destruction.

So really we need an impartial view. - but even an impartial view that confirms that there are no bodies on the beach cannot erase the fact that something dreadful and gruesome happened......and some vacationers are apprehensive aboutt that.

Phuket protests biased reporting in global media

BANGKOK: -- Unbalanced reports, many chasing sensational stories, are impeding the revival of the Thai resort of Phuket after the devastating tsunamis, a local magazine protested Wednesday.

"The news broadcast by global satellite TV and news organisations in the past week have given the impression that Phuket has been wiped out by the tsunami and now lies in ruins," said an e-mail sent by the management of "Phuket" magazine to around 50 journalists based in Thailand.

The devastating tsunamis hit six southwestern provinces in Thailand Dec 26, with the two high-end resort islands of Phi Phi in Phuket province and Khao Lak in the neighbouring Phangnga province being the worst affected, reports Xinhua.

In Phangnga alone, the authorities have discovered 4,134 bodies, while only 262 deaths were confirmed in Phuket.

However, since the first day of disaster, the better-known Phuket started serving as a coordination centre for disaster-relief efforts and media reports due to its better facilities and accommodation ability.

Phuket's exposure in world media has led to a misunderstanding of its reality after the disaster, which will only further hurt the island, according to the magazine.

Although most of the island's facilities remain intact, local tourist agencies have had to deal with unprecedented cancellations after the disaster, the magazine said.

"There is no shortage of drinking water, food or serious threat of disease," said the e-mail.

"Life in Phuket is surprisingly normal - if saddened by the deaths," the writer of the e-mail said asking recipients to forward the message to more foreigners.

Thailand's Interior Minister Phokin Palakul Sunday held a press conference on the Patong Beach of Phuket, declaring the area open for tourists.

--Indo-Asian News Service 2005-01-05

Yeah this is incredible. The Danish Foreign Department is still warning Danish people NOT to travel to Phuket......and you know they even have their own staff including the DK Embassador-to much Mekhong??? As the Swedish government is critizied so is the Danish to slow in reaction and very bad informed.......As a member of a Thai family I'm proud to see how the thai's work on reestablish the resorts, how they work together and unite. This is something we in the western world could learn a lot from. My heart and thoughts goes to the people who suffer fron this terrible disaster. Wish you all a Happy 2005.

John Everingham/Artasia owns 'Tropical Homes' - a glossy magazine that sells upmarket real estate. A characteristic of the magazine is its unmitigated bullish optimism about every real estate market it covers.

I think that all this "now is a better time to come than ever, with the clean clean beaches" (ok i'm exaggerating a bit).....is becoming a bit..... indecent.

I'm going to Phuket next week,  but i'm quite capable of weighing the issues myself. A lot of people just don't fancy going to a place where something so tragic has recently happened.  No amount of blurb, spin - ...or even facts will change their view if it is heartfelt.

Thanks for making a very valid point in this discussion. One has to consider the self-interests involved in all these reports, positive and negative.

(sorry, having problem with multiple quotes, so quoting MOOG in blue)

Yes John Everingham swum the Mekhong (underwater) and is a great photographer. His son Ananda is a rising star and I enjoyed meeting him.....but John is also a businessman...and his financial interests are better served by a thriving Phuket.

Geez Moog, I've never met the guy but sounds like if his biz turned sour, he has enough dough to pull up stakes (unlike the locals). Could it be he has more than simply financial interests in the community? As in extended family of Thai friends, a love of the place, a sense of adopted roots and responsibility? (unlike parachuted Intnl news reporters) :o

Afterall, what's wrong in trying to help your community in tough times? Just because you happen to be 'financially involved' in said community, who isn't down there, from the guy selling trinkets on the beach, his family that relies on him and every last one of yours/his neighbours?

Journalists financial interests are served by selling jazzy stories of destruction

Well, we've seen alot of that in action here. You being one exception on helping getting Estelle's valuable story out to the BBC. Amazing experience and one that needed to be told.

So really we need an impartial view. - but even an impartial view that confirms that there are no bodies on the beach cannot erase the fact that something dreadful and gruesome happened......and some vacationers are apprehensive aboutt that.

You'll get no argument from me on that point. It's all so subjective tho. Just where IS this impartial report I wonder? Isn't that what we look at the major networks to do? :D (rhetorical)

As it is, after two solid weeks of wall to wall 'phuket destruction' on Intnl News (and nary a mention of any recovery) millions of folks have that tatooed in their minds. It would take at least an equal amount of telling the other side of the story to undo but it's a bit late for all the people being let go from jobs now (gosh, I'm sure the Govt and charities will take care of them all tho......) :D:D

Better to stay away and assuage one's own feelings, that's the important thing...:D

Oh well. The networks got their story... As a direct result, we see alot of emails like the following (gee, thx CNN, BBC etc) :

Sent: Wednesday, January 05, 2005 3:57 AM

Subject: What's really going on?

I'm trying to find out what is really going on in Ao Nang, Raleigh, etc. The news over here (Toronto) leads one to believe that Krabi was completely destroyed. But your email indicates that is not really the case.

As I am VERY familiar with overly-sensational news coverage of "tragedies" (everyone knows of the SARS "crisis" in Toronto- except for us Torontonians) I can't say I'm very surprised.

Can you tell me is Ao Nang okay? Krabi? Is there a news source that DOESN'T milk tragedy for the sake of sales? Because I can't find anything here but end-of-the-world scenarios, and I do not want to believe that beautiful Ao Nang and Krabi City, along with all the fabulous people that live there, no longer exist.

Thanks,

Heather

-------

So, help me out here, what's the message we should send the millions of Heather's out there? "Well Heather, geez, afterall, you saw it on the news so, I guess Ao Nang's a gonner. And you'd therefor be one sick, selfish human being if you even think of visiting Phuket now. Sorry. Bye!"

Enough... I swear this is my last post on the subject.

To those of you who have tragically lost family members and friends, i hardly know what to say... noone could possibly know what your loss feels like...I just pray you can find some closure, sometime, in this terrible, real, yet surreal, absolute tragedy... Sincerest condolences to you... hang in there.

d

Edited by bahtandsold

Guys, why so harsh? Less than 15% was affected by the destruction.

Thats the truth.

Whose interest are served by a NOT thriving Phuket? Surely not the thais.

The beaches are cleaner than they have ever been in my 16 years of living here, not chiars/umbrellas, jet skis, hawkers or tourists on the beach to clutter the view.

Ok the trees were hit bad and the sidewalk in patong. The trees will surely die but Patong's famous nightlife is still alive and kicking at night.

The beach road needs LOTS of work.

BUT Karon beach and the laguna area if you visited you'd be hard pressed to see anythng had happened, Also Surin.

True John has magazines about Phuket but this will not affect the property market. Bill Pinset's home in kalim was trashed and he owns Phuket land. Talking with him he knows the market, ( has been involved in home /land sales of over 18 years) He says this wont change a thing,. It was mother nature. None of the million dollar homes are now $500,000. None of the many expensive developments are on hold.

On another point if you stay away they thai's will be hit the hardest, Not the rich farangs builind homes. many lost their homes/business's and also future income for this high season.

You think Junk ceylon wont open on time? The new marine is building 100% and on time.

Who will you trust to report to you what it is like here?

I have been travelling twice this week to Khao Lak with supplies, ( back up tomorrow) and the devistation is unreal and I am really pissed at the reporting of the area. Also not real pleased with the thai goverments use of man power but the are under enormous pressure from the world to find all foreign nationals ASAP so much of the work is on Search and rescue operations.

BUT the thai people need help. I go to the same 3 camps full of people living in tents trying to get by each day. they have no homes or jobs. This is what the world needs to know, not just how many farnags are missing.

Sorry for rambling a bit but I am doing what I can to help

In the BBC report yesterday, Sally Bundock was asking the local BBC reporter about the situation.

She asked about, "..the rest of Thailand".

The reporter did NOTHING to say that it is a very small area of the whole country that is affected.

The deaths are regretable, but life goes on, and Phuket is on the way to recovery.

More tourists will help bring in the money to make the recovery complete.

The BBC should be concentrating on Indonesia and Sri Lanka, where the devastation is much more widespread,

not Phuket because of the tourists deaths.

Statement from Phuket.com:

Phuket Island and the surrounding coastal areas, including Krabi, Phi Phi and Khao Lak were exposed to the Tsunami which hit on the morning of December 26th. There was extensive damage to beachfront hotels and sadly many casualties. Our heartfelt condolences go out to those who have been affected.

While urgent and immediate relief efforts go on, in severely affected areas like Khao Lak and Phi Phi Island, it is important to note there are areas of the coastline in Phuket and Krabi provinces that remain almost untouched; with many resorts operating at, or near, normal levels. In some areas, tourists who were unaffected and whose accommodation remains intact have decided to stay on. As each day passes, more and more people are out swimming, sunbathing and making the most of their remaining holiday. At Patong Beach in Phuket, where the beachfront was badly hit, much of the entertainment area was operating in time for the New Year's Eve celebrations.

Now, as the extensive clean up operation progresses and everyone works together to help with disaster relief and re-construction, many travel associations and industry experts are turning their attention to the longer term economic problems that will arise and encouraging visitors not to cancel reservations. Most hotels and resorts are operating normally, beaches look better than ever, and many restaurants are open for business as usual.

So, please read the up to date status reports we have gathered, look at the photos and make your own decision. Thousands of Thai nationals earn their living from tourism and once the immediate impact is over, survivors face not only the grief of their losses, but also unemployment with no income to sustain their families.

By coming and contributing to the local economy you will be doing something useful and constructive and still be having a wonderful holiday in one of Thailand's most scenic destinations.

Please Note: Koh Samui and Pattaya are NOT affected, as they are in the Gulf of Thailand on the east coast of southern Thailand. On the west coast, Krabi has been almost untouched.

--Phuket.com 2005-01-05

I witnessed, a couple of days after the disaster, footage of people enjoying the usual delights of thailands (burning themselves) on Phucket beach. At the time this seemed surreal (and obviously sick, this was on national television!) now i'm thinking it was bogus (old footage)!

My reasoning being:- More damage could be done to tourism if things are hurried or lies are told

The last things' that are needed are false stories.

George, you are obviously a great man, but your avator is blinking far too much for me....it detracts from your wisdom....You now have too much a high profile for that kind of distraction...Please just keep your eyes open! I will provide a matchstick for you if you send me your original avator files!

Highest regards

B

Booma;

it wasn't old footage. I went down to kata beach on the 28th and across from the thai miltary eating lunch on the street across from the beach where many farang families sunning and SWIMING even.

Although I will not go intot he water for another week, the beach is beautifull and karon beach is stuning now.

Booma;

it wasn't old footage.  I went down to kata beach on the 28th and across from the thai miltary eating lunch on the street across from the beach where many farang families sunning and SWIMING even.

Although I will not go intot he water for another week, the beach is beautifull and karon beach is stuning now.

Swimming, surely, should be the last thing your thinking off!!!!!!!!!

You need exercise? Try moving something or building something and maybe you'll exercise your brain!!

That in turn will benefit your whole existence!

I agree.

I was so upset I even went up to the father and asked him if he understood what had been in the water 2 days before. He didn't seem to mind.

To each their own.

Some people are on holiday and thru ###### or high water they will let nothing destory their dream vacation.

Guys, why so harsh?  Less than 15% was affected by the destruction.

Thats the truth.

Whose interest are served by a NOT thriving Phuket?  Surely not the thais.

The beaches are cleaner than they have ever been in my 16 years of living here, not chiars/umbrellas, jet skis, hawkers or tourists on the beach to clutter the view.

Ok the trees were hit bad and the sidewalk in patong.  The trees will surely die but Patong's famous nightlife is still alive and kicking at night.

The beach road needs LOTS of work.

BUT  Karon beach and the laguna area if you visited you'd be hard pressed to see anythng had happened, Also Surin.

True John has magazines about Phuket but this will not affect the property market.  Bill Pinset's home in kalim was trashed and he owns Phuket land.  Talking with him he knows the market, ( has been involved in home /land sales of over 18 years) He says this wont change a thing,.  It was mother nature.  None of the million dollar homes are now $500,000. None of the many expensive developments are on hold.

On another point if you stay away they thai's will be hit the hardest, Not the rich farangs builind homes. many lost their homes/business's and also future income for this high season.

You think Junk ceylon wont open on time?  The new marine is building 100% and on time.

Who will you trust to report to you what it is like here?

I have been travelling twice this week to Khao Lak with supplies, ( back up tomorrow) and the devistation is unreal and I am really pissed at the reporting of the area.  Also not real pleased with the thai goverments use of man power but the are under enormous pressure from the world to find all foreign nationals ASAP so much of the work is on Search and rescue operations.

BUT the thai people need help.  I go to the same 3 camps full of people living in tents trying to get by each day.  they have no homes or jobs.  This is what the world needs to know, not just how many farnags are missing.

Sorry for rambling a bit but I am doing what I can to help

You seem so oblivious to the people that lost there lives.

I would like to now your story, I am sure it is bleak!

P.S. Maybe this aint right, I apologize if not.

Edited by booma

Booma,

I lost 3 friends here in kamala so please don't tell me how I feel. I have many friends that lost their homes and business.

1 was a baby only 3 months old whose mother could not hold on. Then her husband died 2 days later from infected wounds

BUT I have many more that survived that need to know how will they provide for their families if the tourist do not come.

I am helpiong those that survived, I am not a cold hearted person but people die.

My feelings and prayers are for the living that need help, food and a place to sleep and a way to provide for their families.

Booma,

I lost 3 friends here in kamala so please don't tell me how I feel.  I have many friends that lost their homes and business.

1 was a baby only 3 months old whose mother could not hold on.  Then her husband died 2 days later from infected wounds

BUT I have many more that survived that need to know how will they provide for their families if the tourist do not come.

I am helpiong those that survived,  I am not a cold hearted person but people die. 

My feelings and prayers are for the living that need help, food and a place to sleep and a way to provide for their families.

I have edited my message before reading this.

I have stories similar to this.

The British have been amazing in their support, but you still get a cold feeling down the pub!!

Regards

Speaking as a local Thai who owns a small Thai restaurant in Ao-Nang, Krabi Province, I like to put my impartial view to everybody who has something to say about what John Everingham wrote.

Looking out today, everything was (as the favourite local saying goes) "same-same but different" in Ao-Nang. The sun is still shining, the sea once again its usual glassy calm, people smile, long tail boats drift lazily back and forth. Only, now that the majority of the festive holidaymakers have left, almost no one is here.

Why? Many reasons.

Lack of information, or wrong information. Krabi province includes several tourist resort areas: Ao Nang, Railay and Klong Muang on the mainland; and Lanta and Phi Phi islands. When people talk about 'devastation in Krabi', there is rarely any distinction made between the mainland and the islands, two hours off the coast. Statistics are not broken down; and as (understandably) no TV airtime is given to show positive images of places spared from the worst damage, this only adds to the confusion.

Trips cancelled by travel agents. Many people still wish to travel but have been prevented from doing so by their travel agent, who is obliged to follow government warnings currently advising people to stay away.

Bad feeling: who wants to holiday where people have died? It sounds insensitive, cruel even. But think of it this way: a local population has been devastated by a natural disaster, but now that the rescue helicopters have gone; the paramedics have moved out, what are we left with? Used to welcoming people from all over the world, we are now alone with our thoughts. There's an unsettling feeling on the beach today: 'lucky to be alive' has quickly turned into despair for the future. Local people are asking, 'what if no one comes back here?'.

It's a small gesture, but not cancelling holidays will make a lot of difference. It's not just about people's livelihoods - though of course this is very important, particularly in Krabi and Phuket which is entirely dependent on tourism to survive. It will be helped by seeing the friendly faces of tourists once again and knowing that the world still wants to come to our beautiful place.

The feeling here is that we want things to return to normal as soon as possible. It is the only way we have to deal with this. In recognition of the amount of effort the Thai people themselves, with no fuss and in often overwhelming circumstances, have made to clean up; take care of the injured and bereaved; and re-build our lives, we would urge everybody to go ahead with the holiday plans. And, given that the Krabi mainland is its usual picturesque self, we can safely say that there would be no compromise required on your part if you chose to do so.

I don't know John Everingham.

If this statement had been written with no add like Publisher, ARTASIA PRESS, Bangkok, Phuket, Samui and Bali it would be a statment like dozens other statements I read everyday from people who like to help us Thai people. I don't care who he is and I don't care what kind of business he is doing - but I care very much for his effort to write about the real situation in South Thailand. My staff, my family, myself and so many Thai people are very greatful for his words and the help he is offering. And you know why? Most of the Thai people can't read, speak and write English. How can we express our feelings and situation to the world? It definitely need the help of people like John Everingham to do that and believe me, he is not the only one! There are so many foreign "business' people, people who are so much related to Thailand who are doing exact the same. And they all have the connections to Europe, America and elsewhere. We don't want that the world only see horror and hear unprofounded news. And surely the poorest of the poor people will never profit from what the medias earn from such "unfair" reporting.

I don't say the Mooq is not related with Thailand. I believe that he is very much related to our country. But if there is something personal you have to say to John Everingham you better deal directly with himself. We don't have to read about how somebody swam in the Mekhong in the 70"s to rescue his wife and we don't even have to read the reply. Right know we have other problems to get solved and we have no time to waste. More then 200'000 jobs are depending on wheter the tourists are coming back or not. We are all depending on each other. Starting from the fisherman, longtailboat drivers, the local food market, the staff at the restaurant and hotels, the hotel manager, the tour guides, the taxi drivers, the hotel manager and of course also the real estate business people.... what's wrong about?

I am glad to hear that the Mooq is coming to Phuket and nobody is saying that he is not capable wheighing OUR issues by himself. You are much welcome to come to Krabi as well - you will see that we are still here and we and Bali aren't swept away like some US medias mentioned in their newspapers.

No 'quick fixes' for this, and I just hope businesses and people can hold out in what is going to be a very tough time materially and emotionally.

Journalists will start drifting away soon. Till then their mandate is to find stories . 'Businesses rebuilding' is not interesting. 'Delivering aid' is also becoming an increasingly worn story.

Well, Moog is still going to Phuket, (even though Mrs Moog is scared of ghosts). I'm also persuading friends from HK to fly over to the Marriott to join me next week.

Not wanting to sound harsh or thoughtless, but I do understand why people might not want to visit Phuket and the surounding areas at the moment. Firstly holidays are an expensive luxury, people have a holiday to relax, to forget about their troubles for a while. Why would they want to go to a place that only a short while ago was the scene of such destruction and death. I'm not there, nor have I been there, but I'm sure that the atmosphere is not one that people want for a holiday. Secondly there are still many people missing , which could mean that there are still many bodies to find. A walk on the beach with the kids could become the thing of nightmares.

I would like to know what the hotels/resorts on Samui and the like are doing to help, they are surely benefiting...

I'm just reviewing a 1000 word piece I did about Bali in 12/2003 - one year on from the bombings.

(bearing in mind - greater fear of a repeat attack, but on the other hand - the toll was a lot less than the tsunami)

Hotel occupancy rates fell to single figures. (20%- 40% is break-even)

Tourist arrivals fell 35%

Head of Bali Tourism Office declared - 'This tragedy has put Bali in a high position. Nobody blames Bali" (which was a typically daft Indonesian thing to say).

So don't rule out ballpark statistics like this.

I want John Everingham to live long and prosper - and invite me to his riverfront barbecues (in case he is reading this), but unfortunately - pieces written by those who have vested interests are de facto "Press Releases".

I know that there's no way I could get a feelgood article published about Phuket right now - perhaps in a few months time Editors will be more receptive.

moog,

just curious about what you have done to help the situation. beside attacking the people trying to get positve/good press out.

This just in from the gazette.

Appeal for more items for Khao Lak

PHUKET: The organizers of a convoy of relief supplies for 700 homeless families in the Khao Lak area and for others further north have appealed for donations of more items to fill the vehicle, which leaves tomorrow.

What follows is a list of items requested by the Khuk Khak Tambon Administration Organization and the Takua Pa District Office, with the approximate unit price in brackets.

- Gas stoves (with gas bottles) (B650);

- Sets of cooking pots and pans (B700);

- Sets of plastic or metal bowls, plates, spoons and forks (B500);

- Enough baby milk powder to support 200 children (B300);

- 200 bottles for baby milk (B50);

- Water-carrying tanks with handles (B300);

- Shampoo (B70);

- Toothbrushes (B30);

- Toothpaste (B100);

- Disinfectant (B150);

- Washing-up detergent (B30);

- Detergent for clothes (B50);

- Scouring pads (B10);

- Bed kits (sleeping bags) (B500);

- Pillows (B100);

- Candy for kids (B50);

- Cooking sauces (fish, soy, Maggi etc) (B30);

- Cooking oil (B100);

- Balm (ya mong) for relieving mosquito bites, headaches etc (B10).

A collection point for items has been set up at 18/177 Moo 5, Wichit Songkram Rd., Tambon Wichit, Muang, Phuket. To get there, take the road toward Kathu from the Darasamut Intersection (Central Festival) and turn first left after the Makro store. The collection point is on the ground floor of the large red-roofed building on the left.

If you think i'm 'attacking' people, then you're simply not reading what i've said.

My point is so easy to grasp - in a nutshell....once again....

a) Its complete common sense that people are apprehensive about going to a site of a recent cataclysm.

:o Tourists are sceptical about local businessmen who say everything is back to normal ....."They would say that wouldn't they" is their reaction.

c) There are lots of other places to go on holiday.

d) Journalists can't get feelgood stories about Phuket published right now.

Richard: this is not biased - its not attacking. To automatically disagree is just sticking one's head in the sand !