Jump to content

Uk Spouse Settlement Legal Updates

Recommended Posts

Just in case this isn't clearly known yet, here is an issue I faced with my Spouse visa application. I'll bullet point the issues for ease of reading (I hope)

1. I contacted two solicitors with regards the necessary documentation as I had a question regarding my financial status in UK.

2. As I will be initially unemployed when I return, I was getting parents to sponsor as they have sufficient means to do this.

3. First legal company said parents could not act as sponsors, second legal company said they could.

4. I contacted an immigration specialist in UK who confirmed that parents / family etc could no longer act as sponsors. His words were

"The Court of Appeal has decided recently that third parties, such as parents, are no longer able to act as financial guarantees."

5. To over come this issue one can, apparently, show finances of 30 - 50,000 pounds in the bank or an advance on any inheritance which must equal 1,000 - 1,500 pounds per month . This amount roughly equals a job that pays in the region of 12 - 15,000 pounds per year.

6. Any money put into a bank account to top it up should your savings not meet that figure, needs to be accompanied by a legally binding document stating that any transfer of fees is not a loan and is a permanent transfer. It was quoted to me as this:

"It is usually judged that for two people to live in this country, you will need an income of £12,000 to £15,000. This is done primarily in 3 ways - 1) for you to obtain a job, 2) for you to have sufficient savings (probably in the region of £30,000 to £50,000) to support you both or 3) for you to receive an advance on an inheritance (although this is untested) – say £1,000 to 1,500 per month needs to be the minimum. This will need to be drawn up in a legally enforceable way in order for the ECO (Entry Officer) to be satisfied that it is not a loan."

7. I was told that no solicitor / lawyer would give a guarantee of success so any firm making any guarantee is doing so on a wing and a prayer.

Other issues to consider:

If going into rented accommodation, get all contracts drawn up and submitted with application. Sometimes it's worth getting photos of the accommodation to show it is suitable for you both to live in.

There are plenty of other issues such as the correct documentation. I'm no expert but thought I'd share what I have recently learned.

I hope this is of help to people.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Create New...