Jump to content

Starting A New /old Thai Company

Recommended Posts

Hi all UK - 38

A friend of mine had a good successful business in Thailand. The Thai company he owned had the option to have up to 4 work permits as I remember.

Recently, his relationship with Thai partner (wife) broke down, and he just sold off all his stock, closed down his shop and the Thai company, and returned back home.

I have only spoke to him since his return , but he has told me I can have his business ,or whets left off it ,

I can have his internet site and customer base , (rent)take over his old shop ,etc

he has told me i can start up his old company for about 30,000B. (Not sure what he means buy this)

I’m not sure where to go from here ... what to do next ?

At the moment I’m in the UK, will be returning to Thailand soon, hoping to start his old business

I know I’m going to need a Visa and a work permit. I have had a work visa and a work permit before (04/05) when I worked at his company, he gave a load of paper work and I went down to Penang and made the visa. (His wife did all the paper work in Thai etc.etc)I know ill will need a Thai partner too.

What are my options here?

How does a start up company get all the paper work needed to apply for a work visa in the UK?

Am I better to start a new company? Or start up his old company? Is it even possible? Do I have to put a load of money into a Thai bank account to get visa / work permit?

Although I have worked in Thailand and had a work permit , it was all done for me , this time I will have to do it myself and I’m not sure where to start

So im seeking your advice and comments

Thanx in advance

Link to comment
Share on other sites

To get a B visa in the UK you will need a letter from an existing company.

If your friend has entirely shut down his company. You will have to start a new company which can be a long and expensive process. I suggest your hire a lawyer to help with this.

Your best option will be to get a tourist visa. Then after the company is set up and a work permit applied for you will need to go a nearby consulate and get a single entry B visa. Then after you get the work permit leave again and get a multiple entry B.

The latest rule changes make it almost impossible to get a 1 a year extesnion at immigration until the business has been operating for 2 years.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You say your friend sold all his stock. This means that somebody else owns them now and you would have to buy a minority holding (maximum 49%) from that person. Better to start a new company with a Thai partner of your choice. Even with a thorough “due diligence” being done on the old company you could probably not have a 100% guarantee that there are still some hidden liabilities.



Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Create New...