Strict Changes In Immigration Office Areas From February 15

...For 90 days reports I think you can make them at about any office for now or mail them in. It is just a matter of wait and see how they are handled.

I live in Khon Kaen and obtained my one-year extension for a non-immigrant O visa last November at the Korat office. My 90 day report was due this week, and last week I rang the Korat office to ask if I could do it by mail. They told me that this was not possible, and that I would have to come in person to the office in Korat. This morning just as I was about to leave for Korat, I rang the Korat office again to verify that they could process the report at their office. The answer was a definite, "No", and I would have to go the office in Nong Khai, which, after a swift 180 degree turn, I did. While I was at the Nong Khai office, I verified with them the exact process for reporting by mail in future. The Nong Khai staff were very helpful and good-humoured, and I came away feeling like I'd just won lotto - not entirely sure why, but I always do when leaving an immigration office with all the documents approved.

I would say that most local offices do not accept mail in applications. They are not prepared to do the return by mail of the receipt.

If you live a long ways from Nong Kai you can still do it by mail to Bangkok. They have an office set up just for processing them.

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I was at the Nong Khai office, I verified with them the exact process for reporting by mail in future.
Are you saying that they will now accept 90 day reporting by post?
The Nong Khai staff were very helpful and good-humoured,
:o:D :D Are you sure you went to the right place? :D

I visited the Soi Suan Plu Imigration office this morning. there are signs on the window stating that they will only deal with those resident in Bangkok City, and at the information desk they were questioning people as to their residence. The 90 day report window has a sign (only in Thai today) telling anyone living outside Bangkok to go to room 507 to submit the 90 day report. That office told me that non-Bangkok residents can still submit 90 day reports at Suan Plu, but any other business must be done at the office covering the area where you live. In my case it means a trip to Ayuddyha, and they had copies of a map of that office available.

I visited the Soi Suan Plu Imigration office this morning. there are signs on the window stating that they will only deal with those resident in Bangkok City, and at the information desk they were questioning people as to their residence. The 90 day report window has a sign (only in Thai today) telling anyone living outside Bangkok to go to room 507 to submit the 90 day report. That office told me that non-Bangkok residents can still submit 90 day reports at Suan Plu, but any other business must be done at the office covering the area where you live. In my case it means a trip to Ayuddyha, and they had copies of a map of that office available.

Thanks for that. At least we can still do our 90 day reports by post.

While I was at the Nong Khai office, I verified with them the exact process for reporting by mail in future.
Are you saying that they will now accept 90 day reporting by post?
The Nong Khai staff were very helpful and good-humoured,
:D:D:D Are you sure you went to the right place? :D

The Nong Khai official who took my 90 day report was very clear - yes, they will accept the next one by post ....... but as we all know things change .... frequently ..... and usually without notice. This forum is so often the only source of information about the current regulations. I was very surprised too about the reception I got from the Nong Khai staff. I went to Korat last November to get my one-year visa because I'd read so many bad reports about Nong Khai. Perhaps they've all been a customer service course :o

My experience was the same as DNPBC0. The surly attitude of Nong KhaI staff, almost to the point of rudeness, made me go to Korat. What a difference. Friendly and helpful. I just hope the staff changes at Nong Khai are as reported. I don't expect to be greeted at the door with a smile and a wai, but nor do I expect to be pointed at and my passport thrown , yes thrown down on her desk to me. And that was just a straightforward 90 day report.

By the way, 10 baht for the return envelope is overpaying. Unless you are being send more than 100 grams in weight back then 5 baht is enough. 101 to 250 grams is only 9 baht. And that's a quarter of a kilo ! There is no postal rate of 10 baht. The next step up from 9 baht is 15 baht. My 90 day report reply came back from Korat with a block of four 1 baht stamps on and that was overpaying by one baht too, but I collect them.

There have been many reports from members that got an unwelcome suprise when they traveled all the way to Bangkok and were turned around and sent back to their local office.

This of course does not apply if you are not getting a long term extension of stay or have one already.

now i am confused

i thought this whole thing was over the long term extension

i got my first "retirement visa" in 04 in bkk and every subsequent extension there

a the while living in nong khai

now i was given to understand that i would now have to use the nong khai disservice office

it seems ubonjoe's above quote contradicts that

There have been many reports from members that got an unwelcome suprise when they traveled all the way to Bangkok and were turned around and sent back to their local office.

This of course does not apply if you are not getting a long term extension of stay or have one already.

now i am confused

i thought this whole thing was over the long term extension

i got my first "retirement visa" in 04 in bkk and every subsequent extension there

a the while living in nong khai

now i was given to understand that i would now have to use the nong khai disservice office

it seems ubonjoe's above quote contradicts that

I don't remember that post or what question I replying to since I have made so many in this topic. I think I may of been replying to a question about visa entries in my last sentence. Please note there is a not in that sentence.

If you live in Nong Kai you have to use that office. Since you are on a extension.

Recent posts indicate they may getting more friendly.

Paul

Could you scan and post that map? Should be handy.

Mac

More controls, more bs and somehow more 'big brother' nanny state creeping in.

Glad I don't have to do the extension thing, I travel about too much and am glad it doesn't apply for me.

Good for the stay at home types who are in area but it still bespeaks of 'You farang! Stay in this province and don't go to another!' :o

I'm not sure if anyone will be able to answer this question but after reading the list of immigration areas I checked my address on the proof of income letter I got two weeks ago from the British Consulate in Pattaya, the last part of my address reads Amphur Sriracha, Nongprue, Banglamung, Chon Buri.

The way I am reading the list of immigration areas this means that I can continue to use the Pattaya immigration office as I have done previously. I would be very happy if this is the case as I have always found them much easier to deal with than Sriracha. But as I only live 10 minutes away from the Sriracha office and 30 minutes away from the Pattaya office this doesn't make sense to me.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Barry Kenyon obviously made an error, as Sriracha and Banglamung are both amphus in the province of Chonburi. I would go see Barry again to get your actual address straightened out, before you go to Immigration.

Barry

Hi, on Monday morning I called Barry Kenyon and queried my address, he advised me that this was a small technicality and would not make any difference to my visa application. I then asked him about the enforcement of using your local immigration office, he advised me that as far as he knew I could use the Jomtien office because I lived in Chon Buri.

So yesterday morning I went to the office in Jomtien and renewed my retirement extension within less than 10 minutes (not including waiting time)

no questions were asked regarding my address, or anything else for that matter. The whole process was even easier and more straight forward than last year.

So I live in Amphur Sriracha and renewed my extension yesterday in Jomtien, two days after the new rules were supposed to come into force. The staff at Jomtien were very efficient and helpful as usual.

Where is the Singkhon office (I'm in Cha-Am)

sing korn immig is located on a hill between thai and burmese border about 30 min drive from pra-juab-kee-ree-kun. the office is brandnew and was not occupied couple of months ago. it is the white building next to the checkpoint stand. immig officers there are pretty straight forward.

Based on my experience of the Nakhon Pathom office, which was an overcrowded and under-resourced shambles, the offices will have to lift their game to make this work.

There's an office in Nakorn Pathom? Do you have their address and/or phone number?

I'm just outside BK..only a Km (in Bangtalad, Nonthaburi and read that I need to go to either Ayutthaya, Nakhon Pathom or Chonburi.

My wife phoned immigration, she knows someone there and they said no office in Nakhon Pathom use Ayutthaya.

Anyone can confirm office in N-K it would be useful for me

Thanks

Based on my experience of the Nakhon Pathom office, which was an overcrowded and under-resourced shambles, the offices will have to lift their game to make this work.

There's an office in Nakorn Pathom? Do you have their address and/or phone number?

I'm just outside BK..only a Km (in Bangtalad, Nonthaburi and read that I need to go to either Ayutthaya, Nakhon Pathom or Chonburi.

My wife phoned immigration, she knows someone there and they said no office in Nakhon Pathom use Ayutthaya.

Thanks

Bruce1's post is about an office in the NE with almost the same spelling.

I wonder if somebody at immigration made a mistake when they wrote the memo. I have done searches on this forum and the internet and can find no info for the office mentioned in the memo.

So maybe your wifes contact at immigration is right.

Thanks

Bruce1's post is about an office in the NE with almost the same spelling.

I wonder if somebody at immigration made a mistake when they wrote the memo. I have done searches on this forum and the internet and can find no info for the office mentioned in the memo.

So maybe your wifes contact at immigration is right.

My wife has tried to phone Ayutthaya 035 322 667 but this number is always on FAX, suppose I could send a fax..I want to know if I turn up with the usual paperwork then that will be ok..I read that they will need a copy of my file from BK..this is correct? and that I cannot get a copy until I get I letter from Ayutthaya asking for it and I don't really want to make two trips there.

..I read that they will need a copy of my file from BK..this is correct? and that I cannot get a copy until I get I letter from Ayutthaya asking for it and I don't really want to make two trips there.

If you can't get Ayutthaya on the phone and you know your file is in Bangkok, I'd start by going to Bangkok. You never know, they might bend a little on your location if you are just over the borderline and you smile nicely. If not, they'll tell you where you have to go and deal with your file.

Very interested to hear how this plays out since I will be in the same situation later this year.

My wife has tried to phone Ayutthaya 035 322 667 but this number is always on FAX, suppose I could send a fax..I want to know if I turn up with the usual paperwork then that will be ok..I read that they will need a copy of my file from BK..this is correct? and that I cannot get a copy until I get I letter from Ayutthaya asking for it and I don't really want to make two trips there.

Try a fax to them. Have your wife write it in Thai and try and get a good number or at least some info.

It could be they only have one phone line and they have the fax machine set to auto,

There was a report from a member that did his 90 day report in Bangkok and they told him to go to Ayutthaya for his extension and gave him a map.

..I read that they will need a copy of my file from BK..this is correct? and that I cannot get a copy until I get I letter from Ayutthaya asking for it and I don't really want to make two trips there.

If you can't get Ayutthaya on the phone and you know your file is in Bangkok, I'd start by going to Bangkok. You never know, they might bend a little on your location if you are just over the borderline and you smile nicely. If not, they'll tell you where you have to go and deal with your file.

Very interested to hear how this plays out since I will be in the same situation later this year.

Having been to Suan Plu right after the rule changes, I told an I/O that I live within a km or two if the boundary of Bangkok "No Mind, you have to go to Ayuddyha" was the reply. (for everything except 90 day reports).

I told an I/O that I live within a km or two if the boundary of Bangkok "No Mind, you have to go to Ayuddyha" was the reply. (for everything except 90 day reports).

That is a pain, albeit not unexpected. I'm in Bangkok several times a month anyway and it's a lot more convenient to do my immigration stuff there than any of the other places that they might redirect me to.

I'm a teacher working in Bangkok but I always go home in the holidays to Udon where my wife lives. In the past I've either reported for the 90 days at Bangkok Suan Plu in term time or at Nong Khai in the holidays, I've always used my wife's address on the form.

My next due date is March 9, into the school holidays, so I presume it's okay to go to Nong Khai: but after that the next reporting will be in term time so Suan Plu will naturally be much more convenient.

Will Suan Plu let me report there? Is one allowed to have 2 addresses or will they insist I use my Bangkok address all the time as my work permit is from my school in Bangkok?

I'd be grateful for any answers.

bannork.

I'm a teacher working in Bangkok but I always go home in the holidays to Udon where my wife lives. In the past I've either reported for the 90 days at Bangkok Suan Plu in term time or at Nong Khai in the holidays, I've always used my wife's address on the form.

My next due date is March 9, into the school holidays, so I presume it's okay to go to Nong Khai: but after that the next reporting will be in term time so Suan Plu will naturally be much more convenient.

Will Suan Plu let me report there? Is one allowed to have 2 addresses or will they insist I use my Bangkok address all the time as my work permit is from my school in Bangkok?

I'd be grateful for any answers.

bannork.

You can still report to Suan Phu. A member went there to do his report and did a report that they have set up a special office office for out of area reports.

Use your home address when you report.

The implementation is new (obviously), but it seems to me this change was announced as being in the works a couple years ago.

Off topic but I wonder if anyone can help me. I went to Laos in the middle of January and got a double entry Visa. This entitled me to 60 days stay. On March 13th I thought I could just go to Mae Sai and get my extension.

Question. Is that not the case now? How many days stay will I get at immigration or Mae Sai?

thank you

The implementation is new (obviously), but it seems to me this change was announced as being in the works a couple years ago.

Off topic but I wonder if anyone can help me. I went to Laos in the middle of January and got a double entry Visa. This entitled me to 60 days stay. On March 13th I thought I could just go to Mae Sai and get my extension.

Question. Is that not the case now? How many days stay will I get at immigration or Mae Sai?

thank you

You can go to immigration in Mai Sai or any other and get a 30 day extension without any problem.

Also you do not have to wait until the last day you could go a couple of weeks early.

The extesnion will be added to your current permit to stay not from the date you apply.

The new rules do not apply to those on any visa or visa exempt entries. Only those who are on a long term extension of stay.

You can go to immigration in Mai Sai or any other and get a 30 day extension without any problem.

Also you do not have to wait until the last day you could go a couple of weeks early.

The extesnion will be added to your current permit to stay not from the date you apply.

The new rules do not apply to those on any visa or visa exempt entries. Only those who are on a long term extension of stay.

Thank you very much...just to clarify, it makes no difference then in the number of days whether I go to mae sai or immigration office in Chiang Mai. I still only get 30 days?