Strict Changes In Immigration Office Areas From February 15

...and then there is the immigration office which, according to may posts on this forum, routinely charges 5,000 Baht for an extension of stay instead of the official 1,900 Baht. I guess the people who wrote these new guidelines took it too much for granted that all offices will charge only the official fee to write this also into the guidelines. What happens if an applicant refuses to pay more than the official fee? Is his application refused?

--

Maestro

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...and then there is the immigration office which, according to may posts on this forum, routinely charges 5,000 Baht for an extension of stay instead of the official 1,900 Baht. I guess the people who wrote these new guidelines took it too much for granted that all offices will charge only the official fee to write this also into the guidelines. What happens if an applicant refuses to pay more than the official fee? Is his application refused?

--

Maestro

Maybe worse. What are our options?

You are making an assumption about visa type here. I repeat: MY VISA REQUIRES ME TO GO EVERY 90 DAYS IN PERSON, NO EXCEPTIONS.

This rquirement that you must do the 90-day address report in person is very unsual and therefore highly interesting. If you have a scanner, would you please scan and post it here?

--

Maestro

I think he means that he has to go every 90 days for an extension not a report.

Possibly under 2.26 of police order.

--

Maestro

Maybe worse. What are our options?

Not live on an island.

Other than the place mentioned I have never heard of anybody that had to pay extra for an extension.

If you have all the right documentation and etc. immigration normally is not a problem.

There may be cases where it is a work visa that lawyer might have contacts to smooth things out.

Your option are to lodge a complaint with immigration headquarters.

The immigration office “Metropolitan Bangkok” covers the service area “Metropolitan Bangkok”. I find the term “Metropolitan Bangkok” vague and have never seen an official definition of it.

1. Is there an immigration office building that has the name “Metropolitan Bangkok” on it? What does it say on the immigration office building in Soi Suan Phlu?

2. Other than the list (names) of immigration offices we have in the PDF file attached to the OP in this topic, is there a list of immigration offices somewhere on the website of the Immigration Bureau?

3. If the new list in the PDF file has fewer immigration offices than the list on an official website, is it possible that some offices are being closed?

--

Maestro

The immigration office "Metropolitan Bangkok" covers the service area "Metropolitan Bangkok". I find the term "Metropolitan Bangkok" vague and have never seen an official definition of it.

1. Is there an immigration office building that has the name "Metropolitan Bangkok" on it? What does it say on the immigration office building in Soi Suan Phlu?

2. Other than the list (names) of immigration offices we have in the PDF file attached to the OP in this topic, is there a list of immigration offices somewhere on the website of the Immigration Bureau?

3. If the new list in the PDF file has fewer immigration offices than the list on an official website, is it possible that some offices are being closed?

--

Maestro

I did a post earlier where I posted the links for immigration offices. There are 2. One is under checkpoints that are broken down into regions of the country. The other is under contact us and then telephone.

I didn't count but there appear to be more immigration offices on the list than what are listed on the website.

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/ba...hp?page=service#

Time and time again I read about the confusion that emanates from all facets of Governement that appears, at the least, to instill confusion and distress to a multitiude of people living in the LOS.

Whilst I am ever vigilant to ensure that my comments do NOT offend anyone, as each person is entitled to live as they please, I am forever brought back to the conclusion that my magnificent wife and I have made the correct decision. At least for ourselves.

We left LOS about 12 months ago and in doing so left a great deal of confusion, uncertainty and disquiet behind us.

Of course the Utopic mix would be somewhere between where we are now and the attributes of the enchanting and engaging magic of Thailand. However for the benefit of our children and peace of mind, we have designated the 'Echanted Kingdom' to the realm of holidays, whilst getting on with our lives with a degree of certainty, outside of the Kingdom.

To all of you that are really SO brave to be still there and enduring, I take my hat off to you and pray that things get easier.

Lord knows you truly deserve it.

To all a wonderful weekend, filled with happiness and magic moments.

PK. :o

You can still do 90 day reports by mail to Bangkok without a problem. That has not changed.

The mail in to Bangkok is meant for those that live far away from their office.

I live in Khon Kaen on a O-A (retirement) visa. I usually do my 90 day reporting by mail to Bangkok.

Under the new rules, can you please confirm that I can send my next report (due 14th April) to Bangkok and not Nong Khai.

Thanks.

Regards from

Peter.

Continue mailing it to Bangkok.

There is no mention of 90 day reports in the memo from immigration. Only extensions and re-entry permits.

Thanks for your prompt reply Ubonjoe.

On another (related) matter, my last 90 day report was sent to Bangkok Immigration in April 2008, for which I received the reporting confirmation receipt back.

Since then I haven't been in Thailand longer than 90 days, so no need to report.

I went back to OZ for Xmas and applied and received a new O-A visa from the Thai Consulate in Perth (very efficient, helpful and friendly).

I came back to Thailand on 15th January 2009 and am due to send in my 90 day report by 14th April 2009.

One of the forms they require when reporting is a copy of the last 90 day reporting form.

My question is:

Do I have to send in my last 90 day report (from April 2008) or does that requirement only allude to back to back (continuous) 90 day reports?

Thanks for your help.

Regards from Peter.

Following many problems during the last year or so with getting visa extensions processed at Jomtien Immigration, many long time xpat friends have been using the Bangkok immigration HQ to process their visa application and extension paperwork. Reports about BKK immigration admin have been very good, with processing and documentation requests exactly 'as published' and everything straight forward.

Tell me that what we are seeing here is simply the equivalent of a drug dealing 'turf war' - where an immigration office in a region where officials buy their jobs and routinely extract lucrative bribes to process applicants paperwork are trying to ensure that all punters 'on their turf' have to deal with them alone, and can't escape to the sanity of an alternative immigration center :o

I have been through 4 annual extensions for retirement reaons and have never paid a bribe. I think you are overstating things when you use the term 'routinely'...unless it applies to a single office somewhere in this Kingdom...but I doubt that it applies across the board.

I moved to Chiang Mai in 2003.

For the first 2 years I was on a Non (O) Immigrant visa as married to a Thai wife. Each time I visited Chiang Mai immigration for my annual visa extension, I was asked for a bribe of 3000 baht, that I stupidly paid. Also at that time I required 2 residency certificates from Chiang Mai Immigration for 2 driving licenses, car & motorbike. They charged me 600 baht for each certificate that I later found out should have been free.

Than in 2005, the powers that be cleared out most of the staff at Chiang Mai Immigration and replaced them with new officers and boss. End of asking for under counter payments, plus my daughter is a member of staff there and I am now on a retirement visa.

--

Maestro

Or even if he even asks for a Receipt for his 5,000Baht Extension Fee. Will he ever see those idylic palm fringed beaches again?

90 days notification

Can somebody please advice, what I have to do to do my 90 days via mail to bangkok: i.e. adress, required papers (copies) etc.

Do they want to have an envelope with stamp and my adress???

Thanks

Jens

Link to instructions on immigration website: http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php?page=90days

The postage is 10 baht now for the return envelope. You only need copies of your passport photo page, visa, extension and entry/permit to stay stamps.

90 days notification

Can somebody please advice, what I have to do to do my 90 days via mail to bangkok: i.e. adress, required papers (copies) etc.

Thanks

Jens

This but they want a 10 Baht stamp for the return.

I'm not sure if anyone will be able to answer this question but after reading the list of immigration areas I checked my address on the proof of income letter I got two weeks ago from the British Consulate in Pattaya, the last part of my address reads Amphur Sriracha, Nongprue, Banglamung, Chon Buri.

Your address is wrong.

Amhoe Sri Racha has two Tambons, Sri Racha and Surasak.

Banglamung is a separate Amphoe

Whilst I understand the jurisdiction side of all this,

it is very bad news for anyone living in an area where the Immigration office has their own set of rules........... :o:D

If you are asked for a higher fee than normal, my suggestion, in this order, is:

1. Ask why, in a polite manner

2. Ask to see the senior officer at the post and see what his view is.

3. Pay the high fee, but make sure you get a formal receipt for the total amount.

4. Check the board posted in the office that gives the name and address of the top man in Suan Phlu.

Then write to him about the matter, with a copy of the receipt.

Over the years I have encountered one or two problems and found points 2 and 4 to work for me.

I'm not sure if anyone will be able to answer this question but after reading the list of immigration areas I checked my address on the proof of income letter I got two weeks ago from the British Consulate in Pattaya, the last part of my address reads Amphur Sriracha, Nongprue, Banglamung, Chon Buri.

The way I am reading the list of immigration areas this means that I can continue to use the Pattaya immigration office as I have done previously. I would be very happy if this is the case as I have always found them much easier to deal with than Sriracha. But as I only live 10 minutes away from the Sriracha office and 30 minutes away from the Pattaya office this doesn't make sense to me.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Barry Kenyon obviously made an error, as Sriracha and Banglamung are both amphus in the province of Chonburi. I would go see Barry again to get your actual address straightened out, before you go to Immigration.

Barry

90 days notification

Thanks

Jens

Myself I always use a A5 size envelope for both ways...

Photocopy your passport + arrival card, Fill out the TM47 enclose the old 90day report NOT a Copy + 10 baht on a self address envelope. send by EMS

Reason I use the A5 size is the copies are returned and I send them again in 90day, I am still using the same copies [except for the yearly extension page] for the past 5 years.

This goes totally against the international trend to use computers and links to centralise record-keeping for the sake of standardisation, and then to have multiple access points for the convenience of users.

So, Thailand goes in the opposite direction to the rest of the world.

I predict this will result in numerous variations between the applicaiton of policies and procedures at offices. In about 12 months or so the tide of complaints about individual offices will be so high that someone will announce a centralization, and it will all be reversed. Based on my experience of the Nakhon Pathom office, which was an overcrowded and under-resourced shambles, the offices will have to lift their game to make this work. We always went to Bangkok. At least they had people who spoke English.

They should centralise vehicle registrations and licences nationally too, its stupid having them differ for each province.

Based on my experience of the Nakhon Pathom office, which was an overcrowded and under-resourced shambles, the offices will have to lift their game to make this work.

There's an office in Nakorn Pathom? Do you have their address and/or phone number?

Based on my experience of the Nakhon Pathom office, which was an overcrowded and under-resourced shambles, the offices will have to lift their game to make this work.

There's an office in Nakorn Pathom? Do you have their address and/or phone number?

Immigration Website. Checkpoints. Northeast Region.Immigration.

I think we mitght be talking about 2 different provences. Check the spelling.

GuyDow are you asking about a province in the North East or on the outskirts of Bangkok.

I got it wrong yesterday myself for a bit when trying to find info for the office listed in this paragraph.

Foreigners living in Phatum Thani Province, Nonthaburi Province, Chainat Province, Lopburi Province, Saraburi province, Singburi province, Ayutthaya Province and Angtong province can visit either Ayutthaya Immigration, Chonburi Immigration or Nakhon Pathom Immigration offices.

I think we mitght be talking about 2 different provences. Check the spelling.

GuyDow are you asking about a province int the North East or on the outskirts of Bangkok.

I got it wrong yesterday myself for a bitl when trying to find the office listed in this paragraph.

Foreigners living in Phatum Thani Province, Nonthaburi Province, Chainat Province, Lopburi Province, Saraburi province, Singburi province, Ayutthaya Province and Angtong province can visit either Ayutthaya Immigration, Chonburi Immigration or Nakhon Pathom Immigration offices.

I live just outside Bangkok in Nakorn Pathom province. I have never been able to ascertain whether there really is an immigration office in Nakorn Pathom. It is not listed (or I can't find it) on the immigration website. The PDF file originally posted indicated I would have to go to Samut Sakorn which is very inconvenient. If I can't go to Bangkok then an office in Nakorn Pathom would be a better option.

[i live just outside Bangkok in Nakorn Pathom province. I have never been able to ascertain whether there really is an immigration office in Nakorn Pathom. It is not listed (or I can't find it) on the immigration website. The PDF file originally posted indicated I would have to go to Samut Sakorn which is very inconvenient. If I can't go to Bangkok then an office in Nakorn Pathom would be a better option.

I have read before that there is one. But like you have found no information about it.

It might be worth a try for you to call immigration about it maybe they call help you.

The office in Ayutthaya is not on the immigration website either but there has been a topic about it.

frtiz

In reply to your question Suan Phlu told me on the phone yesterday that if I apply for a visa at a different

place than Suan Phlu ,( I ) would have to make sure that my file was at the new office as I had allways been to Suan Phlu

before.

And this is born out by a report by a chap that applyed at ayutthaya who was given a letter to take to Suan Phlu

to collect his file and take it to Ayutthayu to get his visa,

frtiz

In reply to your question Suan Phlu told me on the phone yesterday that if I apply for a visa at a different

place than Suan Phlu ,( I ) would have to make sure that my file was at the new office as I had allways been to Suan Phlu

before.

And this is born out by a report by a chap that applyed at ayutthaya who was given a letter to take to Suan Phlu

to collect his file and take it to Ayutthayu to get his visa,

I think immigration is already moving files around. There was an earlier report of a person getting a letter telling him that his file had been sent to another office and he had to go there for the application,

So I would say to anybody that ihas to go to a different office to not worry about it.