Strict Changes In Immigration Office Areas From February 15

I just want to add that this is truly one of the worst changes I have seen. Imagine this scenario:

1) you live in southern part of Petchaboon Province (no immigration office in this province)

2) you need to leave the country on business

3) you must now go to NAN for an reentry permit!

NAN is like going to the moon. Too far to drive, so you probably will drive to Bangkok (3-4 hours), fly to Nan, stay overnight, get the permit, fly back to BKK and then to the Swamp to leave.

A HUGE AND TOTAL WASTE OF TIME AND MONEY!

I don't know how much clout the sponsor of this forum has, but if any, please point out the crazy aspects of this rule change. And, at the very least, if a province does not have an immigration office, expats living in that province should be able to get a reentry permit at any immigration point.

Nuff said...........thanks.

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Certainly a stupid change. Its not so difficult, so why can't they follow the example of the rest of the world?

1. Install a computer system which links all immigration offices to one centralised database.

2. Allow connections from any Immigration office.

Problem solved!

(But of course, I'm only a farang, so what would I know? Sorry...)

And, at the very least, if a province does not have an immigration office, expats living in that province should be able to get a reentry permit at any immigration point.

I don't see why you should not be able to get a re-entry permit at any point of exit/entry where immigration have a presence. It's only a stamp in your passport and doesn't require access to your files. Having to go to one specific office to obtain a re-entry permit is a massive waste of time and money.

Certainly a stupid change. Its not so difficult, so why can't they follow the example of the rest of the world?

1. Install a computer system which links all immigration offices to one centralised database.

Problem solved!

Seems you don't have any real experience with the Thai telephone/ internet system.

You want problems, link all the immigration posts together when you will know what problems are.

just to say that I did my 90day report at rasa towers this morning, I normally go there as this is easy for me,

and I asked if this is o/k yes can report any were she said, this comfirms to me what has been

said. I then asked her were I should go for my visa she looked at my stamp and said Suan Phlu room 507,

I said i thought that as I live in pathum thani I should now go to Ayutthaya you can if you want she said,

but as your records are at Suan Phlu it will be easyer there but you must go to room 507 as this is

for the central region of bangkok which covers pathum thani, and not the ground floor were you went before.

and to say that this was the first time of going there that a lady was at the desk and did my form, and the only

time it has ever been filled in compelely, I wait to see about this room 507, I hope this is correct.

This conflicts with what I was told a few weeks ago. I went to 507 for a 90 day report, and was told that it was only good for 90 day reporting and other things such as renewals etc must be done at Ayuddhya. It will be interesting to see how the real outcome of these changes affects those of us in provinces bordering Bangkok.

Have retirement visa. My current address is in a Temple in BKK. Just did my 90-days report at Suan Phlu on that address. Must extend visa in June plus 90-days report.

If I go traveling around and stay anywhere in Temple (or Guesthouse). Can I use that as my current address? In my opinion this must be correct.... or??

I was never asked for any proof of my current address in BKK. So I suppose I just give any address from Temple where I am at that moment and use nearest immigration office.

Thanks for suggestions.

Edited by Khunangkaro

Problem solved!

Seems you don't have any real experience with the Thai telephone/ internet system.

You want problems, link all the immigration posts together when you will know what problems are.

As a good example: The railway booking system seems to work very well with all stations linked.

No problem. (Can book your seat from A to B at any station far away from A or B. )

If there is any problem it is not a computer-system but a somewhere something within the Immigration organisation.

As a bad example: Read the message about inconvenience posted at Suan Pluh, promising (for how many years already?) that the system will be working better any time soon......LOL

Edited by Khunangkaro

Have retirement visa. My current address is in a Temple in BKK. Just did my 90-days report at Suan Phlu on that address. Must extend visa in June plus 90-days report.

If I go traveling around and stay anywhere in Temple (or Guesthouse). Can I use that as my current address? In my opinion this must be correct.... or??

I was never asked for any proof of my current address in BKK. So I suppose I just give any address from Temple where I am at that moment and use nearest immigration office.

Thanks for suggestions.

PS to my post as above:

From June 1999 untill May 2009 I had NON-IMM ED visa with yearly extensions. Being ordained in Thailand as a monk during those years I got really VIP treatment at any immigration office. I never had to report for 90-days. So only had to go for my extension every year with some paperwork through the Sangha and Ministry of Religion which then produced a request letter for extension to Immigration. Especially at Suan Pluh I was helped with much respect and high speed, usually half hour in and out with stamps for extension and re-entry. Sometimes a big problem was solved in any possible fast way, officers doing their best to find the way through the complicated regulations.

Must say that monks have to pay the same fees as everybody.

So last May after disrobing I changed to retirement visa with a final extremely VIP treatment.

After that it became the ordinary way that costed me 2000 BHT when I was nine days over time confused by the dates for my first 90 days report.

No pardon downstairs and upstairs and I leave it to that when the officers at counter 3 and 1 did not understand that I never before had to report for the 90 days.

Finally I like to mention my great respect for the officers working at Suan Pluh under a heavy workload because of outdated paper filing simultaneous to computer input.

...If I go traveling around and stay anywhere in Temple (or Guesthouse). Can I use that as my current address? In my opinion this must be correct.... or??...

For the 90-day address report you use the immigration office responsible for the area where you live on the day you make the report.

--

Maestro

...If I go traveling around and stay anywhere in Temple (or Guesthouse). Can I use that as my current address? In my opinion this must be correct.... or??...

For the 90-day address report you use the immigration office responsible for the area where you live on the day you make the report.

--

Maestro

Maestro, thanks for your info about the 90-day address report. But...

Now what about visa-extension?

Must I go back to BKK where I got my retirement-visa? (When I choose next time to stay/live at say Nakhon Sri Thammarat then.)

I did not see any post/comment about change of address.

Do I have to give any proof of address, which I never did, because was never asked for. (Monks are supposed not to lie.)

Well Now I remember that when I was a Monk every year the officers wrote in my passport the name of the Temple that issued the "Nangsue rap rong" to ask for extension recommendation from Min. of Religion. These Temples were not always the same every year.

But one time some officer discussed my changed Temple address with another one who then remarked that address did not matter because a monk has no home and can go and live anywhere any time.

I am afraid that things are not so easy now being a layman again... Not yet know what to expect.

By the way: Thai people usually register at their family-address which is very often not where they actually live/work. For any officialy action/document they must go back to their family Amphor.

Edited by Khunangkaro

--

Maestro

Maestro, thanks for your info about the 90-day address report. But...

Now what about visa-extension?

Must I go back to BKK where I got my retirement-visa? (When I choose next time to stay/live at say Nakhon Sri Thammarat then.)

I did not see any post/comment about change of address.

Do I have to give any proof of address, which I never did, because was never asked for. (Monks are supposed not to lie.)

Well Now I remember that when I was a Monk every year the officers wrote in my passport the name of the Temple that issued the "Nangsue rap rong" to ask for extension recommendation from Min. of Religion. These Temples were not always the same every year.

But one time some officer discussed my changed Temple address with another one who then remarked that address did not matter because a monk has no home and can go and live anywhere any time.

I am afraid that things are not so easy now being a layman again... Not yet know what to expect.

By the way: Thai people usually register at their family-address which is very often not where they actually live/work. For any officialy action/document they must go back to their family Amphor.

Yellow Tabien Ban anyone :o maybe it will have its use after all for those that doubt it, as post mentions Thai's have to prove address why not the foreigner.

...Now what about visa-extension?

Must I go back to BKK where I got my retirement-visa? (When I choose next time to stay/live at say Nakhon Sri Thammarat then.)...

Whatever immigration service you need, you apply for it at the immigration office responsible for the area where you live on the day you apply. It does not matter where you lived when you got your last extension of stay.

When you move from one address to another you use form TM.28 to inform the information office for the area of your new address.

--

Maestro

Can someone please tell me what the hours are on SATURDAY for the Soi Suan Plu office on Sathorn in Bangkok? On the website it says they are closed on weekends, however, on another forum I saw posts saying that people were going there for visa extensions on Saturdays but they are only open a half day - until noon or 1 pm. I need to extend my triple entry visa by 30 days.

I've been sick and in a hospital in the north while visiting friends and won't get back to Bangkok until Saturday morning first thing and I left my pictures and money at my apartment. Thanks!

YOU SAID;

When you move from one address to another you use form TM.28 to inform the information office for the area of your new address.

Well, I have tried to submit the TM 28 at Pattaya immigration. The friendly officer in charge told me "no need to submit TM 28, simply come back for the 90 days registration". (Changed address from Bkk to Pattaya)

WCA01

I did as everyone else said and went to Ayuttaya and did my 90 day report but then was told I needed a NEW letter from the US embassy saying what my pension was and photos of my family in front of my house and that I would also have to go to the Bangkok office to file for my 1 year extension. I did this on the 5th floor in the office to the left of the stairs or right across the elevators.

No A/C in the waiting area for people as only the work areas have A/C. Took ages to get done as these guys don't know all the rules or the different types of visas that are available. You do not need to go anywhere else though as it can be done in Bangkok.

I did as everyone else said and went to Ayuttaya and did my 90 day report but then was told I needed a NEW letter from the US embassy saying what my pension was and photos of my family in front of my house and that I would also have to go to the Bangkok office to file for my 1 year extension.

It makes me want to cry. People complain about Suan Phlu and I can understand why. However the guys there do know what they are doing. In my experience, if you have done your homework and go with the right paperwork, they process you efficiently once you get to the head of the queue.

I live in Nonthaburi, I just went to do my 90 day report in Bangkok on St. Paddys day. I went in got the form from the front desk and a counterticket number . Filled the form out went upstairs to the fifth floor, room 507 sat down at the ladies desk and was finished within 3 minutes. It was absolutely the easiest its ever been .I'm happy. btw I asked if I could do this in Ayutthaya, she said yes but looked at me asif to say "why would you bother when its been made this easy to do here?"

I just stumbled across this issue today. Been kinda buried in other things lately. Was planning on going to Bangkok immigration on Thursday, extension expires on the 31st. Have gone to Bangkok for the past 4 years. I live about 1KM inside of Samut Prakan.

Has immigration moved files between offcies? Do I need to go to the Bangkok office and have files transferred? In the past this took a while to do. Sounds like I would need to go just to check and see where the files are.

Like most, I am not happy with this at all. Tried using Samut Prakan in the past and was greeted by a down right belligerent staff who told me I would need to leave the country. Got in the car and drove to Bangkok and was told by the staff there that Samut Prakan doesn't know what is going on and they processed my papers with no problem.

I just stumbled across this issue today. Been kinda buried in other things lately. Was planning on going to Bangkok immigration on Thursday, extension expires on the 31st. Have gone to Bangkok for the past 4 years. I live about 1KM inside of Samut Prakan.

Has immigration moved files between offcies? Do I need to go to the Bangkok office and have files transferred? In the past this took a while to do. Sounds like I would need to go just to check and see where the files are.

Like most, I am not happy with this at all. Tried using Samut Prakan in the past and was greeted by a down right belligerent staff who told me I would need to leave the country. Got in the car and drove to Bangkok and was told by the staff there that Samut Prakan doesn't know what is going on and they processed my papers with no problem.

If you've been dealing with Bangkok I'd start by going there, particularly if Samut Prakan is as bad as you say. The worse that can happen is they send you back to Samut Prakan.

I am uploading the original Thai text of Order No. 38/2552 of the Immigration Bureau here so that I may link to it in my list of laws and regulations. It is also available here on the web site of the Immigration Bureau but I make the additional upload to the ThaiVisa server in case it should disappear from the Immigration web site and also because download is probably faster from the ThaiVisa server.

--

Maestro

Immigration_Bureau_Order_38_2552_immigration_offices_servie_area_TH.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

Totally confused.

Live in Nonthaburi. On my last visit to Suan Plu I made my 90 day report in room 507. They said I could continue to do the 80 day reports there, but my retirement extension would have to be done at Ayuddhya, something they were quite adamant about.

Today, I took a trip to the Ayuddhya office, and asked some questions there. They were quite adamant that I should do my retirement extension in room 507 at Suan Plu. I'm completely confused; although by the time I actually have to do the extension at the end of the year, the rules will likely be changed again :o Anyone have any up to date reliable info?

So what happened? Did Bangkok deal with you or were you sent elsewhere?

Into what language would you like to have the following translated?

...Got in the car and drove to Bangkok ... and they processed my papers with no problem.

Try translate.google.com and see if you get an intelligible translation.

--

Maestro

Does anyone have any up-to-date information on this or recent first hand experiences at Suan Phlu?

My 90 days is up on the 18th and my marriage extension expires 13th July. The last three occasions I've posted my 90 dayer to SP and was going to do the same today but with everywhere being closed today it'll have to wait until after Songkran.

I live at Rangsit BTW.

SL.

Into what language would you like to have the following translated?

...... and they processed my papers with no problem.

Try translate.google.com and see if you get an intelligible translation.

--

Maestro

The OP said "Tried using Samut Prakan in the past " and then "Got in the car and drove to Bangkok" . He then went on to ask what he should do now.

I want to know how he fared on this occasion, not "in the past".

Try to keep up.

Does anyone have any up-to-date information on this or recent first hand experiences at Suan Phlu?

My 90 days is up on the 18th and my marriage extension expires 13th July. The last three occasions I've posted my 90 dayer to SP and was going to do the same today but with everywhere being closed today it'll have to wait until after Songkran.

I live at Rangsit BTW.

SL.

Just to update this, I went to Suan Phlu this morning to to do my 90 day reporting.

Was given a ticket for counter 3 as usual. The form was processed and I was in and out within 5 minutes.

On the way out I asked at reception if I could continue to renew my marriage extension there (being from Pathumthani). The officer told me to ask inside the non-immigrant visa room (forget the number).

The officer there told me I needed to go to room 507.

The lady (no uniform) in room 507 said I needed to go to room 509.

The man (again no uniforms) in room 509 said YES I could continue to renew my extensions there, gave me a TM7 and told me to return to that room before the expiry date.

SL.

Has anybody successfully renewed an extension at their usual immigration office (if it is not the one they are now supposed to be using)

I did but it was only two days after the new rules were introduced.

I'm just wondering if you don't ask any questions just go in with all your paperwork whether they will actually turn you away.

My last extension was done so quickly I don't even think the officer looked at the address on the paperwork.