The New Central Shopping Complex Is A Waste Of Space

jellymeister

anyone else agree/disgree...interested if anyone can point out some redeeming features I may have overlooked, but I think

-lousy design...too much walking distances like suvarnbhumi

-lousy slection of shops

-escalators are inconvenient..the old scam of making you walk the long way around rather than being able to go straight up

-the food section down stairs seems unuseful..I mean how many bottles of designer salad dressing can one go through in a month...

-to get to the cinemas is a major expedition

On the whole much prefer tescos, big c royal garden, the avenue, or even central bang na

much more user friendly.....

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The mall is great!

There is NO PROBLEM with access! Either use the elevators or the escalators (I totally disagree with you that they are excessively spaced). There is no problem getting to the cinema! Just use your noodle, dude. Enter the mall and immediately go to floor 5 on the elevator, then one floor up the escalator, and voila. The restaurant choice is the best in town and the department store is a first for Pattaya. Also the basement food court is absolutely the best food court Pattaya has ever had. If you are headed for most of the food options instead of shopping, simply enter the mall and go directly to floor 4 or 5 by elevator. There they are. I have to admit the SHOPPING options are way more hiso than I personally am interested in, time will tell what the market is for those. They can always change retailers, but not sure if lower end places can make the rent.

Edited by Jingthing

The mall is great!

There is NO PROBLEM with access! Either use the elevators or the escalators (I totally disagree with you that they are excessively spaced). There is no problem getting to the cinema! Just use your noodle, dude. Enter the mall and immediately go to floor 5 on the elevator, then one floor up the escalator, and voila. The restaurant choice is the best in town and the department store is a first for Pattaya. Also the basement food court is absolutely the best food court Pattaya has ever had. If you are headed for most of the food options instead of shopping, simply enter the mall and go directly to floor 4 or 5 by elevator. There they are.

I haven't checked it out yet but what I was hoping for was a real alternative

like Chit Lom Central in Bangkok ..I bet the movies are now 120 baht instead

of the 80 they were in RG..

Does anyone remember the failed shopping mall/complex near Soi Welcome in Jomtien..?

The result of too optimistic forecast of growth...

Seems we never learn....

Will the new mall thrive or become part of the "urban decay" of Pattaya....?

Chances are it will simply endure waiting

like a cactus for water....

No comparison, Soi Welcome and the WORLD CLASS new Pattaya mall. Get real. Yes, global business is slow and most everyone will be struggling for some years. But this mall is going to do fine long run.

You don't happen to run a business out of the new mall do you Jinngthing?? :o

No business at all.

I think I understand why people visiting the first and second time think the mall is too big and too exhausting to navigate. It is big. I found the first times I walked the entire mall top to bottom to get oriented, to understand what was where. Now that I know where things are, I know exactly where I am going, or at least close, and I can get there very easily.

The world is experiencing a great calamity and it has nothing to do with the financial mess. Diabetes and obesity are real killers. I suggest it's time to rid our minds of this revulsion to walking; it will save our lives! The mall is a wonderful clean airconditioned place to walk. Enjoy it!

[This is a repost of something I posted in reply on another thread but it is very on point to the op in this thread too.]

I really can't believe all the moaning about one of the best things to happen to Pattaya in many many a moon. I think the new mall is great, its location is great, selection of stores and restos great. Overall, it's a great addition to Pattaya.

The Central folks had the misfortune of opening the mall in the teeth of probably the worst world-wide economic downturn since the Great Depression of the 1930s. But that's not their fault - the mall was planned years ago. Surely sales at the mall's tenants will be affected and the mix of stores may have to be adjusted to reflect the times, but overall, I feel the mall will succeed.

I use it regularly for both eating and shopping (mainly clothes at the Central department store). Many of the basic lines of clothes are reasonably priced; and since the opening, they have been very promotional with sales of 20-50% off in most departments. I also have eaten at several of the restaurants and have no complaints. Most of the restaurants appear to be doing fine and the cafes and ice-cream joints are positively crowded...same goes for the Starbucks.

As for traffic and parking, I don't find it any worse than before (surprising) and I drive a car. The parking lot is large and logically laid out and the spaces big enough to park my Sport-Rider with no problems. Getting in and out is easy and the merge back into traffic on 2nd road is smooth and quick. In addition, at least for now, car parking is free.

Put me down as a mall lover...not a mall whiner :o

I don't think we need to label people about this, but I also very much appreciate the new mall.

Hate shoping!! but went to the new Mall with the wife and loved the food hall downstairs, suprised on joining the discount scheme it was Tops!

Agree with you Jingthing a great asset to Pattaya

Edited by Basset

I don't think we need to label people about this, but I also very much appreciate the new mall.

I agree with jingthing, a great mall which is a must for a city like Pattaya for its further development, Hong Kong food on top floor excellent.

Only thing to complain about is the bike parking which isn't good, so I park on beach road now, but that's a minor thing.

Feel sad though for the people who have purchased condos facing it, so the only view they have are the parked cars. :o

The world is experiencing a great calamity and it has nothing to do with the financial mess. Diabetes and obesity are real killers. I suggest it's time to rid our minds of this revulsion to walking; it will save our lives! The mall is a wonderful clean airconditioned place to walk. Enjoy it!

Excellent point! As the weather gets hotter, I will be visiting daily for exercise, walking the perimeter of each floor all the way to the top and then down again.

I think the new mall is great, mainly because of the banks being all together and the food opportunities on the 5th and 6th floor. Also Food Loft on the 3rd Floor.

I recently ate at 'Pepper Hot' and the food was superb for less than 150 baht including a soft drink. They have a 20% off offer at the moment.

The new book/stationery store is good.

Things will pick up in a few more years, or the baht might suddenly weaken considerably and then the place will be buzzing seven days a week.

As the old German saying "'What the farmer does not know, he will not eat''

I think the mall is a good addition to Pattaya. Some nice shops where you can find devent clothes without having to go to BKK.

Ok if you are into fake designer t-shirts it is not the place to go....

It is not a sensation but I like to go there from time to time.

Who's buying the 9800 bht T shirts in the fakey skull/cross bones shop?

Can't see the high end shops getting enough business to make rent atm

Still 1 t shirt at that price per day would do it...lol

btw whos spent any dime there? beyond food and movies?

Who's buying the 9800 bht T shirts in the fakey skull/cross bones shop?

Can't see the high end shops getting enough business to make rent atm

Still 1 t shirt at that price per day would do it...lol

btw whos spent any dime there? beyond food and movies?

Sorry mate I won't wear T-Shirts at work.

But I agree I never paid 9800 THB for a t-Shirt but some people will.

But I already bought nice shirts there at reasonable prices.

<deleted> is wrong about that?

Cheers

For starters, at least that place looks like a shopping mall.

Also, people are finally able to buy a perfume there, it wasn't impossible to find a fragrance store before.

There are some nice clothing shops.

There are some nice restaurants (i.e. Pizza Pizza, a great pizza)

Also, what did the op might have wanted to be opened there? Another beer bar area? :o

There is nothing inside, except thye usual sh....t, like clotes, parfum, watches, etc. The different is only that you pay a few bahts more, than anywhere else. BTW when i was there, the toilets not even had water. The only different thing ist that the taxis stops in 3 lines there and the fourth lane is for the bus stop.

Edited by stingray

I love the new mall but was quite disappointed with the shops. Way over priced and the ladies clothes are awful :o Some nice stuff in Central Department store, but I'll only really be going there for the Restaurants and maybe the cinema.

I agree though that it is NO WAY difficult to get up to the cinema, there are lifts everywhere, simply go to the top floor.

I also mostly go for the restaurants, cinema, and the department store. If I was in the market for electronics, I would at least compare shop at those stores as well. I am not the target market for high fashion rags. If there is a flaw in the mall, that might be it, is there really enough demand for all those hiso shops in town? The higher end tourist oriented small stall shops on the ground floor also appear quite empty.

Edited by Jingthing

Don't want to comment on the design but the mall in itself is a complete waste of money.Went in there last weekend and it wasn't that busy at all,and that after opening only for 2-3 weeks.What gonna happen when they built the new MBK at the site of the montien hotel?Or were they at last so smart to cancel that one.

I have to agree with jingthing - the new shopping mall is great! I only go for the supermarket: great selection and the bakery is brilliant, the restaurants are varied and haven't had a bad meal yet. It is called choice - no-one is being forced to go there.

I bet if I looked back on the forum far enough (not sure how long TV has been running) there would be complaints about Big C / Lotus Tesco / Carrefour - can't keep everyone happy.

Can't TV people just be happy that we are moving upmarket or as Alexth said - you want another bar complex?

Its a great shopping mall, and it helps put pattaya on the map as a major destination. The food in the food loft upstairs is great, and so are the views over the sea. Cinema also very nice as is the food hall and some great shops. I think its a world class shopping mall and am really pleased for Pattaya

The mall is great!

There is NO PROBLEM with access! Either use the elevators or the escalators (I totally disagree with you that they are excessively spaced). There is no problem getting to the cinema! Just use your noodle, dude. Enter the mall and immediately go to floor 5 on the elevator, then one floor up the escalator, and voila. The restaurant choice is the best in town and the department store is a first for Pattaya. Also the basement food court is absolutely the best food court Pattaya has ever had. If you are headed for most of the food options instead of shopping, simply enter the mall and go directly to floor 4 or 5 by elevator. There they are. I have to admit the SHOPPING options are way more hiso than I personally am interested in, time will tell what the market is for those. They can always change retailers, but not sure if lower end places can make the rent.

"Just use your noodle". What a classic :D ...naturally jingthing is an expert when it comes to using noodles, he rubs his own noodle every day :o

Having said that, I have nothing to add about the shopping mall, I hate them all with vengence. TOO Many knuckleheads per square inch for my liking :D

Edited by neverdie

Was glad to see a proper Perfume and Make-up store in there.. However very disappointed that I couldn't find any Chanel Perfume in there :D Looks like I'll still have to go to Bangkok when I need a new one...

Hm, Chanel ... "A real lady should not wear anything else..." :o

I haven't checked it out yet but what I was hoping for was a real alternative

like Chit Lom Central in Bangkok ..I bet the movies are now 120 baht instead

of the 80 they were in RG..

There's much more choice of goods in the Central in Chidlom so I'll still be going there on my trips to Bangkok rather than have the hassles of parking at the Pattaya Central.