The New Central Shopping Complex Is A Waste Of Space

jellymeister

I think the tourism center is walking street. It is obviously not the resident center. If you say it is Pattaya Klang you are being too LITERAL about the concept of CENTER. It is more than determining the geographical center. Consider the CENTER of the earth. Know anyone who has been there?

I know what you meant when you suggested that Walking Street is the centre of tourism. It's only the main hub of sexual tourism. Pattaya is changing...rapidly.

The best place to put a major shopping centre is in the most convenient location to the majority of people. That's exactly where it is. It's dead centre of the main baht bus loop between Dolphin Roundabout and Walking Street...perfect!

ALL kinds of tourists go to Walking Street. Not only sex tourists. I think you know that but couldn't help yourself.

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ALL kinds of tourists go to Walking Street. Not only sex tourists. I think you know that but couldn't help yourself.

You are right Jingthing

and I even would say that sex tourists are a very small part of Walking Street tourists. :o

Mainly Russian, Indian, Europeans, couples and families, Asian groups, many Thais people too, ...

They all come here to "look at Pattaya circus" :D

I think the tourism center is walking street. It is obviously not the resident center. If you say it is Pattaya Klang you are being too LITERAL about the concept of CENTER. It is more than determining the geographical center. Consider the CENTER of the earth. Know anyone who has been there?

All the joking aside.At the end pattaya klang translated in english means Central Pattaya.

Why bother any joking with the TERMINALLY LITERAL?

I know what you meant when you suggested that Walking Street is the centre of tourism. It's only the main hub of sexual tourism. Pattaya is changing...rapidly.

The best place to put a major shopping centre is in the most convenient location to the majority of people. That's exactly where it is. It's dead centre of the main baht bus loop between Dolphin Roundabout and Walking Street...perfect!

My point was (I'm sure you know this, but you can't help yourself) that the proximity of Walking Street to the new shopping mall will have no impact on its profitability. This is without even considering the large amount of non-tourist, local trade who go there by car.

Sure, non-sex tourists will have a walk down Walking Street late at night, once or twice, until they realise what a sleezy location it is and give it a miss, but this activity does not compete for shopping mall crowds any more than Walking Street would compete for people shopping for groceries.

All the joking aside.At the end pattaya klang translated in english means Central Pattaya.

Why bother any joking with the TERMINALLY LITERAL?

The joking was meant to my previous post. :o

Locations matter. A big thing like a mall of this size has already changed the dynamics of Pattaya for tourists and residents alike (and also probably future development). They say a fly landing on a flower in a remote jungle changes the whole world. This mall is somewhat bigger.

Edited by Jingthing

Locations matter. A big thing like a mall of this size has already changed the dynamics of Pattaya for tourists and residents alike (and also probably future development). They say a fly landing on a flower in a remote jungle changes the whole world. This mall is somewhat bigger.

I don't get your point. Are you saying the location is good or bad?

Went there last night to specifically try out the Vietnamese restaurant that Jingthing had mentioned in another thread, it's named Saigon.

Waste of time, the food is not authentic VN food, the Ha Noi Noodles were just the same as the noodles from the Thai noodle carts outside.

The VN food in the Vientiane is better even though it's not good.

how does anyone have the energy to *hate* a shopping mall? <deleted> is wrong with you people???

Haters, thats what they are. They hate everything.

We don't "hate" everything. We love Pattaya the way it used to be, should be. We just hate crappy big malls that get built over nice bar complexes. Why don't all you people who like to buy expensive shirts move to expensive horrible places like Hua Hin. They have a big new mall there. You'll feel right at home.

how does anyone have the energy to *hate* a shopping mall? <deleted> is wrong with you people???

We don't "hate" everything. We love Pattaya the way it used to be, should be. We just hate crappy big malls that get built over nice bar complexes. Why don't all you people who like to buy expensive shirts move to expensive horrible places like Hua Hin. They have a big new mall there. You'll feel right at home.

Yeah, you just could not beat the lovely toilets in those "nice bar complexes" :o:D:D

Yeah, you just could not beat the lovely toilets in those "nice bar complexes" :o:D:D

Never had a problem myself, but then I don't go to Pattaya for the loos!

Incidentally, at least they have toilets, something that is becoming hard to find in London, a supposed "first world" city. More like a sick joke. I'd rather live in Thailand. Unfortunately there is the problem of those pesky employment restrictions.

Went there last night to specifically try out the Vietnamese restaurant that Jingthing had mentioned in another thread, it's named Saigon.

Waste of time, the food is not authentic VN food, the Ha Noi Noodles were just the same as the noodles from the Thai noodle carts outside.

The VN food in the Vientiane is better even though it's not good.

Oh, sorry to hear that. I haven't tried either of the Viet places there yet, only looked at the menu pictures. There is one in the Food Loft and also a dedicated restaurant in the mall. I assume you tried the dedicated restaurant. I have yet to have a decent pho anywhere in Thailand, even Bangkok.

Edited by Jingthing

I don't get your point. Are you saying the location is good or bad?

Its good but now its better as this big project has brought more focus to that part of town.

Edited by Jingthing

it's obvious your dream of Pattaya will never re-occur again. why don't you try Siem Reap, i was serious when i mentioned that they are looking for you. and no, i'm not being sarcastic.

I'm sure there are Thai fishermen who wish the bars never came to town.

It's called development and progress. You were happy when the place progressed from fishing village to whore town, now it's progressing from whore town to tourist town. Move over, your time here is done. Find an undeveloped town somewhere else and relive your past again. Try Sihanoukville, you'll feel right at home.

It's called development and progress. You were happy when the place progressed from fishing village to whore town, now it's progressing from whore town to tourist town. Move over, your time here is done. Find an undeveloped town somewhere else and relive your past again. Try Sihanoukville, you'll feel right at home.

I'm sure you're right, as if Pattaya keeps going the way it is, it'll be just a shopping mall strip with traffic jams, a cr** beach and a broken down walkway.

I'm pickin' that most of the bar owners/ girls /boys/ customers will be heading off that way, and then we'll get to see just how much Pattaya does depend on the nightlife to survive, or not, as the case may be.

I'm also sure that the bar owners in Angeles are hoping for yet more shopping malls/ condos etc to be built in Pattaya, as they know that they will be booming with all the guys heading there instead, especially now there are direct flights to Clark. I reckon there will be a big increase in flight connections straight to Clark in the coming years. Who knows, in 10 years there may be the same complaints about how Angeles is going up market and pushing out the bars.

I hope to be visiting Angeles later this year, for the first time, and possibly Sihanoukville, so will have an idea if there is a better place than Pattaya, for my future holidays.

Re Sihanoukville, just spent the last while on Google Earth and some helpful sites. $5 for a room as nice as what I pay £15 for in Pattaya! The beach looks as good, if not better than Pattaya. Seems like I'll be changing my range for a while. Definitely going to check it out later this year, and hope it's as good as it looks.

Re Sihanoukville, just spent the last while on Google Earth and some helpful sites. $5 for a room as nice as what I pay £15 for in Pattaya! The beach looks as good, if not better than Pattaya. Seems like I'll be changing my range for a while. Definitely going to check it out later this year, and hope it's as good as it looks.

Great idea! ... and if Sihanoukville doesn't suit, just have a look around SE Asia for other undeveloped bar districts.

There are other places in the Philippines besides Angeles City where you can find plenty of bars/whores. Subic Bay may suit you. There's a beach and no big shopping malls to get in your way. A lot of Angeles City bar owners are moving there.

Pattaya is moving in another direction. You can't stay here!

Edited by tropo

Poppycock. . Pattaya is still a fishing village - check out the old town Naklua.

It is also a tourist town - and that includes sex tourists.

The new mall hasn't changed that at all though it has improved some tourist things.

Bangkok is tourist town a business centre and a monger's paradise.

Is this coexistence so hard to grasp or accept?

As to the new mall, I finally visited Pattaya after six weeks and got to see it.

It was better than I expected. It is nice to have an alternative to dot.com for

electronics - something most department stores and malls in Pattaya were weak on.

This is something that is more of benefit to expats than tourists as it is unlikely tourists

will come here and buy a laptop.

The food court at the bottom was a nice improvement but it is unlikely we

will see the same level of choice as in Bangkok. Same with the bookstores..

On the bad side the food court at the top was WAY too pushy, the greeter following you around

like a lost puppy. I hope this is temporary - if I want to browse, I want to browse in peace.

Again, this is not what happens in Bangkok.

the greeter following you around

like a lost puppy. I hope this is temporary - if I want to browse, I want to browse in peace.

Again, this is not what happens in Bangkok.

that's too funny. i've been there a couple of times and haven't had the company of a lost puppy, but i can certainly see it happening. maybe they only used those greeters during the opening week???

I'm also sure that the bar owners in Angeles are hoping for yet more shopping malls/ condos etc to be built in Pattaya, as they know that they will be booming with all the guys heading there instead, especially now there are direct flights to Clark.

Attitudes like yours really crack me up...like do you really have trouble finding companionship in Pattaya now that there are a few new malls in town :o As you are an Angeles virgin, let me tell you that it too has changed immensely over the past decade...with lots of new upscale hotels, restos, and malls. The world is changing everywhere but the good stuff is still there too...as well as a decent place to shop and have a bite.

Can anyone even remember what was there on that site before Central? I thought not!

Poppycock. . Pattaya is still a fishing village - check out the old town Naklua.

It is also a tourist town - and that includes sex tourists.

The new mall hasn't changed that at all though it has improved some tourist things.

Bangkok is tourist town a business centre and a monger's paradise.

Is this coexistence so hard to grasp or accept?

Can you please keep up. We're talking about progression from fishing village to tourist town. And we're talking about Pattaya, not old town Naklua.

Edited by tropo

Great idea! ... and if Sihanoukville doesn't suit, just have a look around SE Asia for other undeveloped bar districts.

There are other places in the Philippines besides Angeles City where you can find plenty of bars/whores. Subic Bay may suit you. There's a beach and no big shopping malls to get in your way. A lot of Angeles City bar owners are moving there.

Pattaya is moving in another direction. You can't stay here!

hahahaha...nice one. Well, some people just can't handle change, but wait...nobody's forcing them to stay :o

On the bad side the food court at the top was WAY too pushy, the greeter following you around

Yes, I also found the "service" there very annoying and disturbing, They are clearly fishing for tips. Who wants to tip at a FOOD COURT? I can imagine the scene, they follow you to the Korean place, with the big sign that says it is Korean food, and they say "Food Korea." Very helpful indeed. Frankly I have lost all patience with this kind of suck up service in Thailand. If I stop to read a menu and some lackey starts telling me what is on the menu (which they usually don't understand about anyway, ask them a question about the food and see) I just say curtly I CAN READ ENGLISH.

Edited by Jingthing

It's a mall, I think it's great but on another note (that I decided to post here), on Saturday tried to withdraw money at one of the ATM's at Central, it apparently was out of cash but my account was debited immediately (checked via BlackBerry). By the time I flew back home on Sunday my account had been credited, never got a chance to call the bank. Not really has to do with the mall but a nice surprise that some things work and are not as bad as everyone makes out.

I'm also sure that the bar owners in Angeles are hoping for yet more shopping malls/ condos etc to be built in Pattaya, as they know that they will be booming with all the guys heading there instead, especially now there are direct flights to Clark.

Attitudes like yours really crack me up...like do you really have trouble finding companionship in Pattaya now that there are a few new malls in town :o As you are an Angeles virgin, let me tell you that it too has changed immensely over the past decade...with lots of new upscale hotels, restos, and malls. The world is changing everywhere but the good stuff is still there too...as well as a decent place to shop and have a bite.

Can anyone even remember what was there on that site before Central? I thought not!

Absolutely I remember what was there; one of my favourite bar complexes!

It's nothing to do with the mall per se. I expect that to become yet another Avenue white elephant ( why would anyone pay high prices in the mall when there's a town full of cheap shops? ), it's the trend towards the Hua Hinisation of Pattaya; too expensive, lots of high rise accomodation and a few overpriced trendy bars.

Not all of us can pay high prices for fun!