Thailand May Seek To Extradite Thaksin: Pm

george

Even with a canceled press conference, Thaksin accomplished much of what is most dear to him (besides amassing wealth) - he stayed in the spotlight. As an added bonus, he took front page column inches away from ASEAN.

Nicaraguans in high places may have some idea of what a two-faced sleazoid Thaksin is, but money is king. Thaksin's fortune probably outweighs the entire Nicaraguan treasury - several fold. If Thaksin's plans to make Thailand his personal fiefdom were curtailed by the coup, perhaps he can adjust his focus toward some little Central American country.

Edited by brahmburgers

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

again... no apparent knowledge of the even the basics, eg. that this is a convicted criminal fugitive... TRT was dissolved and banned for fraud, etc. etc. etc. :o

732437.jpg

The President Daniel Ortega greets the former Thai prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra and that here he was presented by the pro-government media as the investor.

Thaksin Shinawatra, one of the richest men of Thailand and ex-Prime Minister, is on a visit in Nicaragua.

Interviewed in person by Channel 4, he said that he had heard much about Nicaragua and this was his first time to visit Central America and he was enchanted to explore the situation.

“It is the first time that I am in Central America, but I have heard much talk of Nicaragua. It is of much interest to me about the situation and the economic potential of Nicaragua. I also want to share political experiences with the people who govern the country. I have met several times with ministers throughout the day and tonight I am going to have an interview with the Gentleman President,” he declared.

It has been assured that there has been discussions with the people of Promotion and Investments and with the Minister of Energy, besides the holders of posts in tourism, telecommunications and areas of infrastructure.

“I am going away to meet with the Gentleman President and it would enchant me to talk with him and to share experiences of when I was Prime minister in Thailand. I am also very interested in talking with him in the area of investments and businesses of Nicaragua. I believe that President Ortega has much political experience and I also have been Prime Minister of Thailand and it is going to be a very interesting conversation,” he declared.

- Pastrán (Nicaragua) / February 10, 2009

Edited by sriracha john

Even with a canceled press conference, Thaksin accomplished much of what is most dear to him (besides amassing wealth) - he stayed in the spotlight. As an added bonus, he took front page column inches away from ASEAN.

That doesn't truly reflect the media coverage... "Thaksin's Story" has been a blip on the screen compared to massive reporting on the ASEAN Summit.

Thaksin's fortune probably outweighs the entire Nicaraguan treasury - several fold

Nicaragua — GDP: $16.17 billion (2007)

Edited by sriracha john

I think Thaksin should now just come back to Thailand and face trail get it over and done with.

Just hope he doesn't get the same judge who banned Sammak as PM for hosting a cooking show.

Lol talk about laughing stock.

In the mean time we will just have to wait and see who the Thai people vote for in the next

election to know who should really be in office, that is if there is a next election! (I did here they wanted to do away elections or something)

Anyway I guess its not going to be Abhasit.

Just hope he doesn't get the same judge who banned Sammak as PM for hosting a cooking show.

If he comes back to Thailand, he isn't going to be facing a judge. That episode is done and done.

He'll be facing a shower cubicle wall.

180 degrees away will be a 200 kilo Nigerian drug smuggler called 'Tiny' who is playing find the soap.

Well, they have just let the PAD get away with all their damage.........perhaps now they will also drop all charges and convictons against Thaksin.

I find it disgusting that the PAD are not going to be held accountable, this is a farce, and shows just how embedded the PAD are into the Democrats. Total corruption ?

If the PAD are let off, well, there should be no worries for Mr T.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakingnews/13...uit-against-pad

Breakingnews

PM's Office cancels suit against PAD

By: Bangkokpost.com

Published: 2/03/2009 at 10:24 PM The PM's Office has decided to withdraw a civil lawsuit seeking 18 million baht in damages from the People's Alliance for Democracy, whose .....................................

Edited by soundman

You redheads are a BROKEN RECORD, you know that?

Pad, schmad, wake up and smell the durian. Your dear leader Thaksin is a HAS BEEN. He is probably taking SPANISH lessons as we speak.

Edited by Jingthing

Hong Kong Policy towards Exiled Mr.Thaksin Shinawatra

We are a group of residents of Hong Kong originally from Thailand. We would like to use this opportunity to express our opinion regarding the ongoing political crisis in Thailand and in particular our frustration towards the current presence of Mr. Thaksin Shinawatra in Hong Kong.

Thailand is now experiencing a great deal of uncertainty. Essentially, the traditional values of unity and harmony that have held society together for hundreds of years is now being compromised by self-seeking politicians.

While we are not under any pretense and do not deny that there have existed politicians who have utilized politics as

a means to advance their interest for time immemorial, what is different and worries us is the scale of the current crisis in which the politicians achieve their private ends.

Events such as the selling of mobile phone and satellite concessions to Temasek Holdings of Singapore, the former without being taxed through a blatant alternation of law one working day before the transfer, and the dishonest transferral of land ownership which Mr.Thaksin was recently found guilty of by the Supreme Court.

These events are but some of the more obvious abuses of power that Mr. Thaksin has been responsible for over the past few years.

Furthermore, his policies but have now pushed Thailand into a political crisis in which the rift between Thais seems irreparable.

As citizens of Hong Kong, we have every respect for the legal system here.

Mr. Thaksin, however, seems to be ignoring the ruling from the Thai Supreme Court and is a fugitive of justice. Having a history of contacts in Hong Kong for quite a period of time, he has used his reputation and connections earned during his time as prime minister to expand his own business undertakings.

He has on every occasion tried to justify his actions with calls for sympathy from the foreigners with the help from a series of PR companies and lobbyists.

It is very saddening to see that Hong Kong is now being used as a base by Mr. Thaksin for his own propaganda and for stirring up hostility and division among the people of Thailand. For instance, he has repeatedly claimed that the military is the obstacle to democracy and the only resolution can be through his return as Prime Minister. In reality, it is the military that has kept Mr. Thaksin's ambitions in check and the coup was a last gasp effort to protect the country from his further abuse of powers.

Last but not least, we would like to express our frustration that the Hong Kong government has permitted Mr. Thaksin to stay in Hong Kong to conduct political meetings and our home as a platform to attack and criticize the Thai judiciary.

We hope that by expressing our opinions here, our fellow Hong Kong people could become informed of the predicaments in our motherland and of these burning concerns.

With respect,

Thai Citizens in Hong Kong

- Naewna newspaper (Thailand) / 2009-03-02

Thaksin proves elusive

PM points to cases of Kamnan Poh, Vatana

Extraditing convicted former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra from his self-imposed exile will not be easy, says Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva.

In fact, bringing the fugitive former premier home to serve his jail sentence would be extremely difficult, Mr Abhisit said yesterday.

Thaksin's whereabouts are unknown.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/1261...-proves-elusive

Abhisit said his government will ensure that everyone is under the law.

So, the PAD terrorists who kept Thailand ransom are under the law now and serving their time in jail?

So, I can go anywhere in Thailand now and be sure the no "tea money" will be asked by a crappy official?

This Abhisit is the worst nightmare Thailand has ever seen.

When everybody is under the law, we'll see these:

1. PAD leaders will go to jail.

2. Samak and Somchai will be hand in hand and go to jail.

3. Red shirts who killed other Thai at Udon will go to jail.

4. Red shirts who broke Mr.Prem's house will go to jail.

5. Before that, Thaksin will go to jail as the leader of all above because his case is already evicted by supreme court.

Then, we all Thai people and farangs who have well wish to the LOS that they are now living in will continue our lives as usual.

will it happen?

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakingnews/13...uit-against-pad

Breakingnews

PM's Office cancels suit against PAD

By: Bangkokpost.com

Published: 2/03/2009 at 10:24 PM The PM's Office has decided to withdraw a civil lawsuit seeking 18 million baht in damages from the People's Alliance for Democracy, whose .....................................

Point 1 has been singled out by this amnesty, but points 2 to 5 will still be no. 1 on the agenda of Abhisint.

Remember my post about Abhisint will never charge "the hand that feeds him."

Who still believes that Thaksin and other PM's would have a "fair" trial?

Go, go, go, abhisint.

Arrest everybody who has commited crimes as you said, except the PAD.

It may not fit with the red tinted view of some but the PAD leadership are facing a slew of criminal cases and one civil one gets dropped. Probably more will be dropped but not all. Various cases against Thaksin have also been dropped. Current cases against Jakrapob and Yuth "dooyen" are currently moving at snails pace.

That doesn't truly reflect the media coverage... "Thaksin's Story" has been a blip on the screen compared to massive reporting on the ASEAN Summit.

If you look at the online editions of the Bangkok Post and Nation, at least half a dozen stories on their front page are Thaksin-related.

Ditto with the Thaivisa News Clippings sub forum - the number of headlines about Thaksin vastly outnumber ASEAN ones.

Looks like editors will lead with any story mentioning Thaksin. He is "Mr Front Page" ! The man is editorial gold-dust !

If you look at the online editions of the Bangkok Post and Nation, at least half a dozen stories on their front page are Thaksin-related.

Ditto with the Thaivisa News Clippings sub forum - the number of headlines about Thaksin vastly outnumber ASEAN ones.

Looks like editors will lead with any story mentioning Thaksin. He is "Mr Front Page" ! The man is editorial gold-dust !

I was speaking globally.

Well the PAD likely has not got the 18 million to sue for,

so a waste of prosecutorial funds. I see this as not throwing good money after bad.

This same week PAD sent lawyers to the police to say they will come in and face charges.

So it is moving forward at the same glacial speed as they went after Thaksin and PPP and TRT etc.

Thai justice is not fast, but it eventually moves.

The Thai citizen's of Hong Kong article was interesting.

Nice to see some expat. Thai's weighing in on their take on his affect on THEIR image abroad.

Edited by animatic

Nice to see some expat. Thai's weighing in on their take on his affect on THEIR image abroad.

I found the Thai Citizens of Hong Kong article pathetic. If they want to write to a newspaper, then put their names on it and do not be shy. Who are they ? What are their names ? Is it just 1 person writing it ? Is it someone actually in Thailand writing it ? Did the PAD write it ?

If you are not going to back up what you write with your name, then stick to Forums and BB's on the internet.

I know some Thai's in Hong Kong, and they fully support Thaksin, and claim as others do that the ASC has no legitmacy as it was set up under a coup, by the military, with a single objective to find Thaksin guilty, by any way possible, and that was what happened with a heavy reliance on "spoken word" of a few "friends" turned foe's ??????

So where is their representation ? :o

Hilarious :D

I found the Thai Citizens of Hong Kong article pathetic. If they want to write to a newspaper, then put their names on it and do not be shy. Who are they ? What are their names ? Is it just 1 person writing it ? Is it someone actually in Thailand writing it ? Did the PAD write it ?

If you are not going to back up what you write with your name, then stick to Forums and BB's on the internet.

I know some Thai's in Hong Kong, and they fully support Thaksin, and claim as others do that the ASC has no legitmacy as it was set up under a coup, by the military, with a single objective to find Thaksin guilty, by any way possible, and that was what happened with a heavy reliance on "spoken word" of a few "friends" turned foe's ??????

Hilarious :D

Anyone who knows any amount of Thai's will recognize within the people they know that they are divided into pro-Thaksin, pro-government, Pro-PAD and bored by the whole lot of them. Cant see anything wrong with letters to newspapers by anyone. Maybe the newspaper withheld names at request, becuase of space reasons, or because of policy related to politcal opinion. It is better for people to say what they think than be censored. Anywhere you find a group of Thai people they will have differnet opinions on politics within the group although those that feel in a minority in any area may not be willing tio express themselves in public. There have been deaths and beatings in attempts to cleanse areas of ideas the local controllers dont like.

Once it passed from the ASC hands to the judiciary it became fully legal without qualification.

The ASC was done to FIND evidence long suppressed by Thaksin,

once the digging was done it handed off the ball to the Attorney General, and then retired.

The ASC no longer exists, but the evidense it put forward still exists.

The AG doesn't care which person or persons handed them evidence if the AG finds it credible.

It is in fully legitimate prosecutor's hands,

and is found to have enough validity to pursue cases.

End of story.

It's You.

We just heard from them... same as we did from the Thai Citizens in Hong Kong group.

Isn't open communication just grand? :D

Surely they have money. As evidenced by the fact that they were able to feed the 5000 for a prolonged time. Demonstrators weren't asked to bring their own sandwiches

Anyway, court criminal actions aren't predicated on the defendant's ability or otherwise to pay the likely fines. In a private civil case, then yes, inability to pay is something the plaintiff would consider.

Edited by Journalist

Surely they have money. As evidenced by the fact that they were able to feed the 5000 for a prolonged time. Demonstrators weren't asked to bring their own sandwiches

I'm sorry. I would have sworn to reading 4 or 5 hundred posts over the past several years of news clippings, personalized anecdotal comments, etc. etc. regarding PAD financing of meals and whatnot through donation boxes, online donations, auctions, etc. etc.

Perhaps I was mistaken.

Afaik, PAD is not a legal entity, it must have account numbers and money deposited in there, but those might be registered to private citizens, and if money is in personal accounts, it will be impossible to touch as the owners carry no responsibility for thousands of protesters whatsoever.

I mean, can you sue PAD leaders if one of their protesters steals a Mont Blanc pen? No, not unless he was ordered to do so.

All those civil damages suits are non-starters. The best they can possibly get is one of Chamlong's slippers and Sondhi's sweaty shirt, then auction them.

^^Are the PAD credit balances held in the private accounts of its leaders?

Perhaps they've spent every satang. John's contention that the PAD don't have money because it came in the form of donations doesn't seem valid though. Maybe I misunderstand his point.

Edited by Journalist

^Are the PAD credit balances held in the private accounts of its leaders?

Perhaps they've spent every satang. John's contention that the PAD don't have money because it came in the form of donations doesn't seem valid though. Maybe I misunderstand his point.

You implied in your post that the PAD leaders had well-financed bank accounts in order to pay for meals.

I stated that meals were financed mainly by public donations.

Irregardless of any misunderstanding, as plus says though, the issue of civil lawsuits is pretty much a non-starter.

Edited by sriracha john

The public donations go into the coffers and if those coffers still have any coin of the realm in them, then that should be available for fines as well as food. That was what I sought to imply.

Yes, civil lawsuits are a non-starter, because the PAD bosses don't consider their organisation liable for any minor breakages, will simply ignore a verdict and an award won't be enforced.