The Dominant Language On This Board Is British English

Jingthing

I am American but I can't help but noticing that the dominant language here is British English.That is why I now use the word whinge instead of whine, and will now switch to colour over color. Why not just make this the official language of the board: British English.

(I surrender, redcoats!)

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am American but I can't help but noticing that the dominant language here is British English.That is why I now use the word whinge instead of whine, and will now switch to colour over color. Why not just make this the official language of the board: British English.

(I surrender, redcoats!)

Whinge is Australian English that has crept into UK English fairly recently.

Considering how much bad English there is, I don't see why we should standardise when we have no problem understanding each other.

Edited by tw25rw

(I surrender, redcoats!)

I'm also an American, or as you would have me say a "Yank" or a "Septic." So polite are those Brits you so espouse. There is one Brit-ism that me thinks befits you...wanke_r...I use it just about every time I meet a new farang, or so it seems lately.

Please do us all a favor (note I did not include the useless U in favor) & remember...

"Tis better to remain silent & thought a fool, than to open ones mouth & remove all doubt."

Now pour yourself another Sang & go back to sleep, sweet prince.

Yes, Groucho, but perhaps I was being ironic?

Even so, I am indeed proud to be a wanke_r but I don't think I can pull off this chav thing. You don't want to see me in a track suit and gold chain.

Edited by Jingthing

I don't think there are any "official" languages designated on this forum. Many posters are not even native English speakers. What about them? Any more assinine ideas?

No, this is officially an English language board. Other than the Thai language forum, English is the only language allowed.

no i meant cum out of the bushes with your hands high in the ear....hand over the keys to your TV Membership :D

i am truly moved by your concern about my membership status, Sire.

I was going to suggest you come out of the closet....but uve already done that :o .

no i meant cum out of the bushes with your hands high in the ear....hand over the keys to your TV Membership :D

If he has his hands in the air he cannot be a wank_er can he.

Now Harry that isnt very nice, what has uncle neverdie told you before about being nice, especially to the pets :D:D

If he has his hands in the air he cannot be a wank_er can he.

Thankfully, I can type with one hand.

& being a small man, he only requires two fingers on the other hand :o

American culture and language is gradually coming to dominate the English-speaking world and English is gradually coming to dominate or filter into the rest of the worlds languages. Even the French have failed in their attempts to hold back the tide. The Thais answer the phone "hello" and sing happy birthday in English. You-all may hate us Americans but we are the future. So says the village idiot, so it shall be.

& being a small man

I thought you said you were discreet? Don't call me again, "Pepe."

don't flatter yourself jingthing :D:D:wai:

Your secret is safe with me Pepe. We'll always have Sattahip. In the spring. :D:o:D

Edited by Jingthing

I don't think there are any "official" languages designated on this forum. Many posters are not even native English speakers. What about them? Any more assinine ideas?

No, this is officially an English language board. Other than the Thai language forum, English is the only language allowed.

So it is english and not american :o

The expat community even confuses farang authors. Last night at writers' group the guy from New York City got confused. In Texas :o , a boot is something you put on your foot, rather than part of your saloon that you drive on the wrong side of the berm to go to the chemist.

American culture and language is gradually coming to dominate the English-speaking world and English is gradually coming to dominate or filter into the rest of the worlds languages. Even the French have failed in their attempts to hold back the tide. The Thais answer the phone "hello" and sing happy birthday in English. You-all may hate us Americans but we are the future. So says the village idiot, so it shall be.

rogercw

:o:D:D:D:D:wai:

Americans have a "Culture" that's a laugh.

As for your asumption that Hello, and Happy birthday are American, what planet are you from? :P

Oh I know, it's planet T*AT.

The predominant use of British English on this forum has been an great added benefit for me as it has helped increase my vocabulary of Brit and Aussie slang. I spend a great deal of time in Oz and have many Aussie friends however the forum has helped me pick up many new words and phrases that I had never heard before. On the spoken level, I think American English has bastardized British English mostly by the way we yanks run our words together. IMHO, compared to an American accent, an educated British accent has a lot more class and an Aussie accent is much more colourful. British English is hands down the winner with me but I must admit that I still find the word 'whine' to have a better ring to it than the word 'whinge'. :o

Maybe I can offer the following ideas that I unashamadly collected as being a good idea at the time.

Maybe we could build on the language thing as many people feel that the good ole colony of the US of A should revert to it's former rule from Westminister and would therefore benefit from the following:

Your new prime minister, Gordon Brown, would appoint a governor for America without the need for further elections. Congress and the Senate will be disbanded. A questionnaire may be circulated next year to determine whether anyone noticed.

To aid in the transition to a British Crown Colony, the following rules would be introduced with immediate effect: You should look up "revocation" in the Oxford English Dictionary.

1. Then look up aluminium, and check the pronunciation guide. You will be amazed at just how wrongly you have been pronouncing it.

2. The letter 'U' will be reinstated in words such as 'favour' and 'neighbour.' Likewise, you will learn to spell 'doughnut' without skipping half the letters, and the suffix-ize will be replaced by the suffix -ise. Generally, you will be expected to raise your vocabulary to acceptable levels. (look up 'vocabulary').

3. Using the same twenty-seven words interspersed with filler noises such as "like" and "you know" is an unacceptable and inefficient form of communication. There is no such thing as US English. We will let Microsoft know on your behalf. The Microsoft spell- checker will be adjusted to take account of the reinstated letter 'u' and the elimination of -ize.

4. July 4th will no longer be celebrated as a holiday.

5. You will learn to resolve personal issues without using guns, lawyers, or therapists. The fact that you need so many lawyers and therapists shows that you're not adult enough to be independent. Guns should only be handled by adults. If you're not adult enough to sort things out without suing someone or speaking to a therapist then you're not grown up enough to handle a gun.

6. Therefore, you will no longer be allowed to own or carry anything more dangerous than a vegetable peeler. A permit will be required if you wish to carry a vegetable peeler in public.

7. All American cars are hereby banned. They are crap and this is for your own good. When we show you German cars, you will understand what we mean.

8. All intersections will be replaced with roundabouts, and you will start driving on the left with immediate effect. At the same time, you will go metric with immediate effect and without the benefit of conversion tables. Both roundabouts and metrication will help you understand the British sense of humour.

9. The Former USA will adopt UK prices on petrol (which you have been calling gasoline)-roughly $10 per US gallon. Get used to it.

10. You will learn to make real chips. Those things you call French fries are not real chips,

and those things you insist on calling potato chips are properly called crisps. Real chips are thick cut, fried in animal fat, and dressed not with catsup but with vinegar.

11. The cold tasteless stuff you insist on calling beer is not actually beer at all. Henceforth,

only proper British Bitter will be referred to as beer, and European brews of known and accepted provenance will be referred to as Lager. South African beer is also acceptable as they are pound for pound the greatest sporting nation on earth and it can only be due to the beer. They are also part of British Commonwealth - see what it did for them.

12. Hollywood will be required occasionally to cast English actors as good guys. Hollywood will also be required to cast English actors to play English characters. Watching Andie McDowell attempt English dialogue in Four Weddings and a Funeral was an experience akin to having one's ears removed with a cheese grater.

13. You will cease playing American football. There is only one kind of proper football; you call it soccer. Those of you brave enough will, in time, be allowed to play rugby (which has some similarities to American football, but does not involve stopping for a rest every twenty seconds or wearing full kevlar body armour like a bunch of nancies). Don't try Rugby - the South Africans and Kiwis will thrash you, like they regularly thrash us.

14. Further, you will stop playing baseball. It is not reasonable to host an event called the World Series for a game which is not played outside of America. Since only 2.1% of you are aware that there is a world beyond your borders, your error is understandable. You will learn cricket, and we will let you face the South Africans first to take the sting out of their deliveries.

15. You must tell us who killed JFK. It's been driving us mad.

16. An official from The Inland Revenue (i.e. tax collector) will be with you shortly to ensure the collection of all monies due (backdated to 1776). Until these are paid, there will be no representative government in the USA, in line with the policy: "No representation without taxation".

17. Daily Tea Time begins promptly at 4 pm with proper cups and saucers (never mugs), and with high quality biscuits (cookies) and cakes; strawberries in season.

18. Some tea has gone missing, and we expect it back. We'll be searching Boston first.

So there!!

I hasten to add for those with no sense of humor that the above is what the English call 'Tongue in cheek' humor

Are you drunk or just having an acid flash-back??

Last time I checked; American English is the international language of the ENTIRE world. It is most defintely NOT that engrish <deleted> they pretend to speak in England.

Wake up and smell the SangSom (แสงโสม) my friend. ..