Uk Settlement

Hey Fluidfusion,

I'm really interested to know how much you put your income as on being self employed when you were refused.....I'm in the same boat myself. I heard of a guy the other day who put £800 a month due to worrying the tax people would find out...he was refused.

I've just done the wedding after being 4 years together and now just waiting for some extra papers from Nakhon and probably will submit on Monday or Tuesday. I'll add myself to the list when I've done it.

Any way I wish you luck this time.

hey Jack...you submitted yet?

I'm booked to fly on the 30th but that's within 4 weeks, so I doubt we'll all make it. I'll get her to fly to Dubai and I'll meet her there from Glasgow...if successful!

Hi steverino

On my initial application, which I did myself, I put my average monthly earnings which I had calculated from my previous years accounts divided by 12. That equated to about £2700 per month but that was not liked by the embassy. Coupled withthe fact that my bank statements where all overdrawn and a few othe points we resulted in a refusal.

This time around is easier as we have had our refusal letter as a guideline to work to. We also employed an agent this time who was able to spot the flaws in my previous application and rectify them.

An interesting point to not is that when re-applying for a visa, you only have to submit info relevant to the refusal, not all the other stuff. Basically for us this meant that we didn't have to prove our relationship again as it has already been legally recognised by the embassy.

Anyway, my advice, which will be argued by so many people on this forum, is to use a very good agent if you are self employed and worried about prooving your income. Icouldn't recomend my agent enough and am happy to share his contact details if you PM me.

Mind you, we haven't got the visa yet so I can only comment on his help to date.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey Fluidfusion,

I'm really interested to know how much you put your income as on being self employed when you were refused.....I'm in the same boat myself. I heard of a guy the other day who put £800 a month due to worrying the tax people would find out...he was refused.

I've just done the wedding after being 4 years together and now just waiting for some extra papers from Nakhon and probably will submit on Monday or Tuesday. I'll add myself to the list when I've done it.

I'm booked to fly on the 30th but that's within 4 weeks, so I doubt we'll all make it. I'll get her to fly to Dubai and I'll meet her there from Glasgow...if successful!

morning Steve

Not submitted yet mate. I have taken advice from some fellow BM here and tweaked my plan. I am still going on the same dates but I will be sending the mrs for her TB scan next week rather than waiting for me to arrive. I dont want to delay anything as i am only coming for 11 days on the next trip.

I have also decided not to change her ID card / passport into the married name as this will hold things up by at least 2/3 days.

The thing that is worrying me is even though I have had the affimation to marry legalized by the foreign office here in the UK do i really need to get the british consular to stamp it or can I go direct to the TMFA? (Thai Ministry Foreign affairs) and not bother with the consular.

Does anyone else know if this is possible or do i need the consular stamp.

How long you in LOS for Steve? maybe meet up for a beer

From my experience, unless you don't mind a refusal and having to wait another 4 weeks at least, the 2/3 days it takes to change your wife's ID cards is totally worth it. I just seems to hold so much more weight with the embassy. I guess it also depends on how strong your application is too though.

Good Luck Fluidfusion Like others I come back on from time to time I remember you submited around the same time as we did in March.

We have been back in the UK 4 months Its cold now, but we are Happy Thats all that matters

Pleased to hear you have sorted it Good luck Ken N Kate.

On a footnote my wife still uses her maiden name. It just seemed like a lot of hassle to change her passport, ID Ect and it is not nesersary You are still Man and wife

Hey Fluidfusion,

morning Steve

Not submitted yet mate. I have taken advice from some fellow BM here and tweaked my plan. I am still going on the same dates but I will be sending the mrs for her TB scan next week rather than waiting for me to arrive. I dont want to delay anything as i am only coming for 11 days on the next trip.

I have also decided not to change her ID card / passport into the married name as this will hold things up by at least 2/3 days.

The thing that is worrying me is even though I have had the affimation to marry legalized by the foreign office here in the UK do i really need to get the british consular to stamp it or can I go direct to the TMFA? (Thai Ministry Foreign affairs) and not bother with the consular.

From my experience, unless you don't mind a refusal and having to wait another 4 weeks at least, the 2/3 days it takes to change your wife's ID cards is totally worth it. I just seems to hold so much more weight with the embassy. I guess it also depends on how strong your application is too though.

thanks for your advice but I think it might be incorrect, I was told by 7by7 that there is no requirement under UK law for a wife to take her husband's surname upon marriage, so there is no need as far as her visa application is concerned to change her passport and ID card prior to submitting the applications

Good Luck Fluidfusion Like others I come back on from time to time I remember you submited around the same time as we did in March.

We have been back in the UK 4 months Its cold now, but we are Happy Thats all that matters

On a footnote my wife still uses her maiden name. It just seemed like a lot of hassle to change her passport, ID Ect and it is not nesersary You are still Man and wife

I think your correct in what you say Kennkate

Can one fo you gurus out there confirm this please. sumrit or 7by7 as your the main players here.

Hi Jack, I think both 7by7 and myself just comment and try to offer a bit of advice from our own experiences over the years, I certainly wouldn't claim to be an expert myself anyway :) .

As for the name change, I don't think it has any effect on the application at all, and when she gets to the UK she can choose what name she wants to use anyway. As Ken says, his wife's visa was granted four months ago in her maiden name without any problems. My wife changed her name first before she applied for her visa at around the same time as Ken's wife, but only because we were living in Thailand so had the time to do it. For her previous visa her documents were in her maiden name. Likewise, a friends wife changed everything into her married name for her settlement visa this year but when she had a visit visa shortly after they were married last year they were still in her maiden name. I also helped two friends with their wives settlement visas two years ago and, with both of them, the documents were still in their maiden name.

I know you're going to be on a tight schedule so if you don't think you'll have time it's not going to be a problem, if you do want to change them first though, the ID card has to be done first at your wife's local Amphur (takes about an hour) then her passport has to be changed at the passport office in Bangkok and can also be completed in an hour or so. They no longer add a name change to the existing passport but now issue a new one.

Good Luck

Maybe I'm playing dumb here, but the question on the visa form 'how long do you plan to stay in the uk?' is a bit of a tricky qusetion is it not.....I mean we're asking for a 2 year settlement visa. Once the 2 years are up one applies to extend doesn't one ? I'm not going to want less am I as it's a settlement visa....confusing I find, and worrying as I don't want to put the wrong answer.

What should we write here as an answer? 7by7? Sumrit?

Maybe I'm playing dumb here, but the question on the visa form 'how long do you plan to stay in the uk?' is a bit of a tricky qusetion is it not.....I mean we're asking for a 2 year settlement visa. Once the 2 years are up one applies to extend doesn't one ? I'm not going to want less am I as it's a settlement visa....confusing I find, and worrying as I don't want to put the wrong answer.

steve

your not being dumb mate its a bloody nightmare. I like yourself was unsure on that question so i seeked advice from a fellow bm and the answer I am putting down is indefinately.

Good luck buddy

steve

your not being dumb mate its a bloody nightmare. I like yourself was unsure on that question so i seeked advice from a fellow bm and the answer I am putting down is indefinately.

Good luck buddy

That one had us stumped too. We put in a date of 2 years after the date of travel but then after submission I saw other people on this forum saying they were leaving blank or putting indefinitely. I wasn't sure that could be done since we did an online application. Anyway, we put 2 years after date of travel and we got the visas so I guess whoever looked at it ignored it since it was a settlement visa application and was not applicable.

Hey Fluidfusion,

morning Steve

thanks for your advice but I think it might be incorrect, I was told by 7by7 that there is no requirement under UK law for a wife to take her husband's surname upon marriage, so there is no need as far as her visa application is concerned to change her passport and ID card prior to submitting the applications

I think your correct in what you say Kennkate

Can one fo you gurus out there confirm this please. sumrit or 7by7 as your the main players here.

While hardly being a Guru, my wife and i decided not to change her ID after we married due to the time it took and the limited time we had to get the application in before i had to fly back to the UK.

Her ID and Passport are both still in her Maiden name.

Now she is in the UK we have done the following.

Applied for the National insurance number in her Married name. ( no problem)

Added her to the Council Tax bill with Married name ( no problem)

Got her onto her ESOL course with her married name ( No problem)

Added her Maiden name to my Bank Account and then a few weeks later presented the Marriage certificate in order to change it to Married name ( this was to get around the fact her Passport and other ID was in Maiden name only. )

Next on the list will be Applying for a Provisional Driving License as another form of ID (photo ID as well which is always useful to have).

On our next return to Thailand ( After Christmas )it will be time enough to update her Thai ID card.

No real point in changing her passport yet as it is new. Whilst she could carry her Maiden name passport with Visa attached and a newer passport with Married name it seems kind of pointless. Eventually with luck and time she will be able to apply for a British Passport anyway.

Also it will not hurt for her to be able to produce Thai ID in both names if needed.

While hardly being a Guru, my wife and i decided not to change her ID after we married due to the time it took and the limited time we had to get the application in before i had to fly back to the UK.

Her ID and Passport are both still in her Maiden name.

Now she is in the UK we have done the following.

Applied for the National insurance number in her Married name. ( no problem)

Added her to the Council Tax bill with Married name ( no problem)

Got her onto her ESOL course with her married name ( No problem)

Added her Maiden name to my Bank Account and then a few weeks later presented the Marriage certificate in order to change it to Married name ( this was to get around the fact her Passport and other ID was in Maiden name only. )

Next on the list will be Applying for a Provisional Driving License as another form of ID (photo ID as well which is always useful to have).

On our next return to Thailand ( After Christmas )it will be time enough to update her Thai ID card.

No real point in changing her passport yet as it is new. Whilst she could carry her Maiden name passport with Visa attached and a newer passport with Married name it seems kind of pointless. Eventually with luck and time she will be able to apply for a British Passport anyway.

Also it will not hurt for her to be able to produce Thai ID in both names if needed.

I agree with everything you say Merangue, If your wife either doesn't want to or doesn't have time to change her name before applying for a visa it won't cause any problems, either with the application, or once she arrives in the UK.

Once she has gained British Citizenship though it might save any confusion if both the UK and Thai passports are in the same name as airline tickets need to have the same name as the passport. I know some people will say they've just shown the UK passport at check in and the Thai passport going through Thai passport control but I wouldn't want some eagle eyed Thai Immigration Officer grilling my wife as to why the name on her ticket doesn't match the name in the passport she's using to enter or leave Thailand as she tends to get flustered when talking to anybody in an official capacity in Thailand.

Couple of points.

1) The online version of form VAF4 does ask how long the applicant intends to stay in the UK, the paper version doesn't! (Another example of the excellent work by government IT 'experts!'). Putting 2 years is as good a reply as any.

2) There is no requirement under UK law for a wife to take her husband's surname upon marriage, so there is no requirement for her passport or her visa application to be in her husband's surname. A personal choice.

Although, as Sumrit says, it could be confusing for airline check in staff etc. if she was using two passports in different names at the same time.

Attn 7by7 or Sumrit

I've been advised by a Thai guy that I should submit my wife's birth certificate or if we haven't got it, a paper to say we had one issued but it's lost.

is there any advantage by submitting this document?

Thanks

Steve

Attn 7by7 or Sumrit

I've been advised by a Thai guy that I should submit my wife's birth certificate or if we haven't got it, a paper to say we had one issued but it's lost.

Thanks

Steve

Steve You will need your wifes Birth Cert and Not a Photocopy. She will have to get a offical one issued.

You will need it in the future for any dealings with Government officialsin the UK

She will need to take it with her.

I had to submit my wifes to the UK pension service in order to obtain a pension increase. Ect Ect

I do belive we had to submit it with the Settlement aplication. Even though we had a UK marraige cert

No doubt you will recive a reply from 7by7 that will be 100% my repy is 99%

Good Luck Ken

Attn 7by7 or Sumrit

Thanks

Steve

Steve You will need your wifes Birth Cert and Not a Photocopy. She will have to get a offical one issued.

You will need it in the future for any dealings with Government officialsin the UK

She will need to take it with her.

I had to submit my wifes to the UK pension service in order to obtain a pension increase. Ect Ect

I do belive we had to submit it with the Settlement aplication. Even though we had a UK marraige cert

No doubt you will recive a reply from 7by7 that will be 100% my repy is 99%

Good Luck Ken

Thanks a lot Ken, I'm on the case.

It is not strictly necessary to produce a birth certificate for her visa application; her passport and ID card are enough to prove her identity.

However, as Kennkate says, there may well be situations in the UK where you will need it, so if you can get a copy then I would advise that you do so.

Also, whilst it is not necessary to have birth, marriage certificates etc. translated for the visa application, they will need to be translated when you use them in the UK. It is a lot cheaper to get this done in Thailand.

Well, got the call last night from the misses saying that her passport is ready to collect!!!!!

Wow, 2 weeks!

We find out if she got the Visa or not tomorrow... here we go again!

Fingers crossed it's not another refusal.

Well, got the call last night from the misses saying that her passport is ready to collect!!!!!

Wow, 2 weeks!

All fingers and Toes crossed for you mate. 2 weeks is damned quick. With luck it was a formality this time so went through so quickly.

Wow, 2 weeks!

Got everything crossed for you both. :)

Two weeks is probably the quickest this year.

Good luck.

yes 2 weeks can only mean 2 things:

1. All they had to do was check that the items that they where not happy with last time are now fulfilled

2. They remember us and stuck us straight in the bin! (or something like that).

I'm banking on option 1 an after 8 months I'm really keen to have my wife (who is now pregnant) with me.

Will be back online tomorrow to give the news... really hope I can take the title of quickest visa in 2009!

1. All they had to do was check that the items that they where not happy with last time are now fulfilled

I'm banking on option 1 an after 8 months I'm really keen to have my wife (who is now pregnant) with me.

Will be back online tomorrow to give the news... really hope I can take the title of quickest visa in 2009!

FINGERS CROSSED FLUIDFUSION.....GOOD LUCK and thanks for the pm.

steve

steve

steve

Fluid whats the score???

Well, just to prolong the agony, my agent didn't pick the passport up today!!!!!!!!!!

He promises to do it tomorrow. I got to say, my agent has been great, let's hope this is the first and only let down.

Now just got to get drunk so I sleep for 18 hours and awake to the news. Just can't sit here thinking about it any more!

Fluid whats the score???

Well, just to prolong the agony, my agent didn't pick the passport up today!!!!!!!!!!

He promises to do it tomorrow. I got to say, my agent has been great, let's hope this is the first and only let down.

Now just got to get drunk so I sleep for 18 hours and awake to the news. Just can't sit here thinking about it any more!

all the best for you and missus, tell her to wrap up well cold here.

FEB'S APPLICATIONS

Rob01792 02/2 granted 30/3 - (8 weeks) MONDAY

Chris41 10/2 granted 16/3 - (4 weeks 6 days) MONDAY

Kooyoonii 10/2 granted 04/5 - (11 weeks 6 days) MONDAY

Pikwik 11/2 granted 27/4 - (10 weeks 5 days) MONDAY

Xiengmieng 17/2 granted 24/3 - (5 weeks) TUESDAY

Lindty 18/2 granted 24/4 - (8 weeks 6 days) FRIDAY

Tahaan 18/2 granted 13/5 - (12 weeks) WEDNESDAY

Eddiebabyyeah 20/2 granted 01/4 - (5 weeks 5 days) WEDNESDAY

MARCH'S APPLICATIONS

Tlusername 04/3 granted 15/5 - (10weeks 2 days) FRIDAY

Tricknicky 09/3 granted 23/4 - (6 weeks 3 days) (Special Case) THURSDAY

AnyaDharu 09/3 granted 19/5 - (10weeks 1 day) TUESDAY

Tango7 10/3 granted 12/5 - (9weeks) TUESDAY

Johnson83 11/3 granted 22/5 - (10 weeks 2 days) FRIDAY

Chanthas 12/3 granted 25/5 - (10 weeks 4 days) MONDAY

Gypsymoth 13/3 granted 25/5 - (10 weeks 3 days) MONDAY

chrisspuresbkk1 13/3

Friend Boo 16/3 granted 18/6 - (13 weeks 3 days) THURSDAY

Dave W 16/3 granted 17/6 - (13 weeks 2 days) WEDNESDAY

Stonewall 62 17/3 granted 19/6 - (13 weeks 3 days) FRIDAY

Kennkate 17/3 granted16/6 - (13 weeks) TUESDAY

Chewy 18/3 Granted 07/08 20 weeks and 3 days

PeterHThai 19/3 granted 19/6 - (13 weeks 1 day) FRIDAY

Pingit 19/3 Refused 19/6 - ( 13 weeks 1 day ) FRIDAY Decision overturned 15/07 WEDNESDAY

TheFiend 20/3 granted 18/6 - (12 weeks 6 days) THURSDAY

Jaja 20/3 granted 9/7 - (15 weeks 6 days) THURSDAY

Pudsey 23/3 granted 10/7 - (15 weeks 4 days) FRIDAY

Sumrit 24/3 Granted 26/6 - (13 weeks 4 days) FRIDAY

Merangue 25/3 Granted 03/6 - (10 weeks) WEDNESDAY

Domm44 27/3 Granted 22/7- (16 Weeks 5 days)WEDNESDAY

Fluidfusion 27/3 Refused 03/06 - (13 weeks) WEDNESDAY

TickTock 30/3 Granted 19/6 - (11 weeks 4 days) FRIDAY

George & Dragon 30/03 Refused 26/06 (12 weeks 4 days) FRIDAY

Delboy 30/3 Granted 22/06 - (12 weeks 1 day) MONDAY

APRIL'S APPLICATIONS

Borodave 01/4 Granted 24/6 - (12 weeks) WEDNESDAY

JasonThai 02/4 Granted 25/6 - (12 weeks) THURSDAY

Mikeyp 03/4 granted 26/6 - (12 weeks) FRIDAY

Mrburb 03/4 Granted 26/6 - (12 weeks) FRIDAY

Feasantplukka 03/4 Granted 14/7 - (14 week 4 days) TUESDAY

Muaylaosfalang 03/4 Granted 26/6 (12 weeks) FRIDAY

Lerningcurve 07/04 Granted 30/6 (12 weeks) TUESDAY

Bigsy94 07/04 Granted 30/6 (12 weeks) TUESDAY

Kate46 (son) 08/4 Granted 22/7 - (15 WEEKS) WEDNESDAY

AndyJoy 08/4 Granted 21/7 (14 weeks 6 days) TUESDAY

Marcjaiyenyen 08/4 (Applied in Jamaica) granted 7/7 (12 weeks 6 days) TUESDAY

ExoticMatter 09/4 Granted 23/7 (15 weeks) THURSDAY

Dolphy 21/4 Granted 29/7 (14 weeks 1 day) WEDNESDAY

Scotland 22/4 Granted 24/07 (13weeks) FRIDAY

Jes5133 24/4 Granted 24/7 (13 Weeks) FRIDAY

Lee888 28/4 Granted 22/7 (12 week 1 Day) WEDNESDAY

CinnamonRoll 29/4 Granted 22/7 - (12 week) WEDNESDAY

Gena 29/4 Granted 22/7 (12 week) WEDNESDAY

Rolypies 29/4 Granted 10/6 - (6 weeks) (Special Case) WEDNESDAY

Castor83 29/4 Refused

TDM 30/4 Granted 24/7 (12 Weeks 1 Day) FRIDAY

MAY'S APPLICATIONS

Nelson111 04/5 Granted 23/7 (11 Weeks 4 Days) THURSDAY

Marky1600 05/05 Ganted 28/7 (12 Weeks) TUESDAY

Wayne Mcclymont 06/5 Granted 04/08 12 Weeks 6 Days TUESDAY

Alanr 07/5 Granted 28/7 (11 Weeks 5 Days) TUESDAY

Suprich 07/5 Granted 28/7 (11 Weeks 5 Days) TUESDAY

Buzby 11/5 Granted 27/7 (11 weeks) MONDAY

dean999 12/5 Interview 27/7 10 Weeks 6 Days/rejected 6/8 (12 weeks 2 days) THURSDAY

Dont panic 13/05 Granted 29/07 (11 weeks) WEDNESDAY

Zim 13/5

True blue 14/5 Granted 27/7 (10 weeks 5 days) MONDAY

Spot 15/5 Granted 31/07 (11 weeks) FRIDAY

uaelaelil 20/5 Refused 14/8 12 Weeks 2 Days FRIDAY

Johnokk 25/5 Granted 04/8 (10 weeks 1 day) TUESDAY

moodysufc 26/5 Refused 19/8 12 Weeks 1 Day WEDNESDAY

Ade2007 29/5 Granted 04/8 9 Weeks 4 Days TUESDAY

leefreight 29/05

JUNE'S APPLICATIONS

Ajsp9 02/06 Granted 10/8 (9 weeks 6 days) MONDAY

Globaleyes 08/06 Granted 17/8 10 Weeks MONDAY

Bukseeda 09/06 Granted 02/9 12 Weeks 1 Day WEDNESDAY

Hawkinsschris 19/06 Granted 09-09-09 11 week 4 days TUESDAY

Thongkorn 23/06 GRANTED 11 Weeks 3 days Thursday

Dowman73 30/6 Granted 10/09/09 10 weeks 2 day Thursday

JULY'S APPLICATIONS

tjthai 2/07 VISA GRANTED FOR WIFE BUT DAUGHTER REFUSED (APPEAL SUBMITTED AS EMBASSY DOESN'T CARE) - 11 Weeks 2 days FRIDAY

simiUK 6/07 VISA GRANTED 12 Weeks 6 days MONDAY

bobrussell 13/07 VISA GRANTED 23/9 10 weeks 2 days

Jaggg88 14/07 Refused 11 weeks 1 day

scousemc 28/7 VISA GRANTED 9 weeks 1 day

Bananaman 30/07 GRANTED 8 Weeks

AUGUST'S APPLICATIONS

learningcurve 13/08 VISA GRANTED 08/10 8 weeks THURSDAY

idmilla 14/08 VISA GRANTED 7/10 7 Weeks 5 days TUESDAY

Enquirer 19/08 VISA GRANTED 1/10 6 weeks THURSDAY

horacegoeskiing 25/08 VISA GRANTED 09/10 6 weeks FRIDAY

SEPTEMBER'S APPLICATIONS

chris1616 18/09