2009 Formula One Season

Although Lewis's final position owed something to luck, the opening stages of the race showed why he's World Champion. There's no one else who can carve through the field like he does. Hope McClaren can sort out his car before it's too late.

• Replies 934
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

To start with I am not a bot

Join this community if you feel the coverage is sub par. It is annoying when presenters digress or display limited knowledge and skills to present a sport which does not have the same following as in Europe (or US for that matter)

Community on Facebook:

"Star Sports Formula 1 coverage: A shamble"

Please be vocal and get in as many members to join this as you can. I am trying to get at least a thousand in the community to make them aware how bad they are. Unfortunately not a lot in India watch the sport, (those who do watch it more as a social phenomenon rather than the love for motorsports)

Hopefully, I'll reach out to people in other parts of Asia to gather speed.

I am very very angry and mails sent to the channel do not seem to work. I guess this is valid enough!

Regards

:o Interesting first sentence for your first post! Pray tell, what is a "bot"?

Short for Robot. "An automated machine or computer program designed to perform a specific task with little or no human direction", e.g. join forums and post spam.

As for Star Sports, I wish they'd get rid of Steve "Cackle, cackle, I don't understand the intelligent remark made by my co-presenter, so I shall just laugh, cackle, cackle" Slater.

Hamilton's 3rd place finish now in doubt. Looks like we're set for another controversial year!

Fed up with all this post race review. Why can't they enforce the rules and make judgements on the spot, rather than days after the race is over? It's not good for the sport.

Hamilton's 3rd place finish now in doubt.

Lets not forget 1st and 2nd place is also in doubt re the controversial diffusers, we will only know 100% after the Court hearing later this month in Paris..

Hamilton's 3rd place finish now in doubt.

Lets not forget 1st and 2nd place is also in doubt re the controversial diffusers, we will only know 100% after the Court hearing later this month in Paris..

Hamilton excluded!!!! http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport...one/7978186.stm

"for providing evidence deliberately misleading to the stewards at the hearing on 29 March" whatever that means.

Edited by Crossy

Hamilton excluded!!!! http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport...one/7978186.stm

"for providing evidence deliberately misleading to the stewards at the hearing on 29 March" whatever that means.

:o:D

Hopefully he learns his lesson, world champion or not he's still not above the rules. It is also to be remembered that he was extremely lucky to win it in a first place.

Btw, also Vettel's penalty is under review and might be cancelled. IMO that was pure racing and both drivers are at fault.

Join this community if you feel the coverage is sub par. It is annoying when presenters digress or display limited knowledge and skills to present a sport which does not have the same following as in Europe (or US for that matter)

Community on Facebook:

"Star Sports Formula 1 coverage: A shamble"

Please be vocal and get in as many members to join this as you can. I am trying to get at least a thousand in the community to make them aware how bad they are. Unfortunately not a lot in India watch the sport, (those who do watch it more as a social phenomenon rather than the love for motorsports)

Hopefully, I'll reach out to people in other parts of Asia to gather speed.

I am very very angry and mails sent to the channel do not seem to work. I guess this is valid enough!

Regards

Totally agreed!

The coverage is amateur to say the least, the ad breaks unbearable and the presenters are dull and clueless - especially old cackle-arse... He's like a little boy isn't he!?

There are too many pointless and boring segments of the coverage, especially the emails from 'viewers' like 'so-and-so from India asks "what is the big thing that looks like an airoplane in front of the front wheels" or similar, it's like watching childrens TV!

For this reason I chose to not watch the race live but obtain it from another source - making sure I avoid any news in the meantime - and watch it at my own leisure a few hours later.

PM ME FOR MORE INFO!

Edited by MaiDong

Hopefully he learns his lesson, world champion or not he's still not above the rules. It is also to be remembered that he was extremely lucky to win it in a first place.

Extremely lucky?

Obviously, in the course of a season, all drivers have their fair share of good luck and bad too, but if anything i would say that Lewis had more bad than good last year, and if it weren't for some dubious marshalling decisions that suspiciously favoured Ferrari, his margin of victory would have been greater.

McLaren: "... experience has told us that you have to accept these decisions and these things that come along and you focus on this weekend and the races beyond that."

<deleted>! If there was a chance of McLaren getting the decision reversed, they would go for it. Truth is, they were caught trying to cheat and got found out. Shame on them and Hamilton.

<deleted>! If there was a chance of McLaren getting the decision reversed, they would go for it. Truth is, they were caught trying to cheat and got found out. Shame on them and Hamilton.

I've read so much over the last few days on this matter and i have to say it's still not clear to me exactly how under-handed McClaren were being, or whether they were actually cheating or just guilty of not presenting all the information.

Either way, i have to say i feel that Lewis and McClaren have let a lot of fans down.

Last year there was no doubt an element within the FIA that was against the team and that was reflected in the large number of penalties dished out.

It's true that Lewis's style of driving perhaps made it easy for them, but all of the top drivers from history have tended to have that side to their race. Just take Senna or Schumacher. Both of these drivers i think took sportsmanship to the limit - Schumacher in particular - like the way he took Damon Hill off the track and tried again less successfully with Villeneuve. Where were the penalties then?

Anyway, having for the most part defended Lewis for the decisions made against him last year, i think i and many other fans were hoping for an incident and controversy free season this year. Hoping that Lewis would get his head down, stay out of incident, and let his driving do the talking. In my opinion he is the best racer out there and putting aside all that went on after Australia, during the actual race i think he demonstrated this with some decisive and clinical passing moves.

To have spoiled all that with some dubious decisions at the end of the race is very sad. I think Lewis and the team owe it to everyone to now make some sort of statement. They either need to hold their hands up and apologise, or they need to state more clearly exactly what went on and why it was purely an innocent mistake.

It's sad because all that aside, that race in Australia was one of the best opening races i've ever seen. Hope for more of the same this weekend in Malaysia!

Extremely lucky?

Obviously, in the course of a season, all drivers have their fair share of good luck and bad too, but if anything i would say that Lewis had more bad than good last year, and if it weren't for some dubious marshalling decisions that suspiciously favoured Ferrari, his margin of victory would have been greater.

Yep, i meant the last race. He was already out of the picture and the campionship was beyond him to win. Only by luck with the rain and someone sliding around with dry weather tyres he got lucky and was crowned as champ.

Don't get me wrong, he's extemely good and talented driver. One of the top 5 guys in the sport and has achieved a lot by his pure skill as a driver. I definedly rank him much higher than Massa. However he's young and seems that he's has difficulties to cope when under pressure. Still he acts more arrogant as Schumacher in his prime. What he needs to do is to calm down and learn some respect towards other drivers, the sport and fans.

This year will be even harder for him as for a first time he don't have the advantage of fastest car under him. IMO its 50/50, he even drives smart and makes some good results or then he will completely lose it. Time will tell.

Yep, i meant the last race. He was already out of the picture and the campionship was beyond him to win. Only by luck with the rain and someone sliding around with dry weather tyres he got lucky and was crowned as champ.

You can say he was lucky in the last race, but that doesn't mean he was lucky to win the Championship. To win that you have to perform over the entire season and simply being lucky isn't enough.

Besides, i think had it not rained he would have had fifth place sewn up. It was the rain and the fact that someone gambled on staying on dry tyres that almost cost him.

I've read so much over the last few days on this matter and i have to say it's still not clear to me exactly how under-handed McClaren were being, or whether they were actually cheating or just guilty of not presenting all the information.

Check out the FIA's key considerations here

Pretty cut and dried, blatant lying to the hearing, could lead to further sanctions against Hamilton, Maclaren or both.

McLaren: "... experience has told us that you have to accept these decisions and these things that come along and you focus on this weekend and the races beyond that."

Agree Jetset, but I still feel that the FIA is too pro Ferrari and this is ruining the sport. What's the term? Ferrari International assistance? What ever, Hamilton is the most fiery driver I have seen in years and thats what i believe we want.

Here's to exciting racing.

Cheers, Rick

Contrary to some peoples thinking, every driver in F1 is good otherwise they would not be driving expensive machinery like that and to say that Hamilton was such a wonderful rookie driver belies the fact that he has been nursed by Ron Dennis for somewhere 10 yrs with all sorts of cash and cars coming his way, talented he certainly is but Kubica frequently beat him previously with inferior machinery and just watch Vettel go when he has a top car and as for Hamilton it was patently obvious he pulled over to the side of the track with or without and besides any orders from his engineer giving Trulli no option or time but to overtake thus leaving the way for Maclaren to appeal and elevate Hamilton to 3 spot.

Ferrari vs McLaren again, and in the midst Brawn might run away (at least I am hoping to :D ). Felipe did say that Brawn may wrap up the title by June :o . Making things interesting...

Anyways, do join the community on facebook...cant post link here so just copy paste the name and u shall find it...

thanks guys!

Contrary to some peoples thinking, every driver in F1 is good otherwise they would not be driving expensive machinery like that and to say that Hamilton was such a wonderful rookie driver belies the fact that he has been nursed by Ron Dennis for somewhere 10 yrs with all sorts of cash and cars coming his way, talented he certainly is but Kubica frequently beat him previously with inferior machinery and just watch Vettel go when he has a top car and as for Hamilton it was patently obvious he pulled over to the side of the track with or without and besides any orders from his engineer giving Trulli no option or time but to overtake thus leaving the way for Maclaren to appeal and elevate Hamilton to 3 spot.

Last season i think it's a well known fact that the McClaren wasn't the best car. It was very good, but the Ferrari was allround a better machine. Despite that, and despite numerous penalties, Lewis still won. And where was his team-mate?

Still, there will always be the detractors trying to suggest that it was down to the car and not the driver. That's why i think this season will be good. McClaren patently do not have the best car - far from it. However, i think that like all great drivers, he'll squeeze some great performances out of the car, a la Alonso, Schumacher etc. Putting all the controversy aside, Melbourne was a perfect example - to race from the very back of the grid to 4th.

As for the likes of Kubica and Vettel - they might be great drivers too but they have to prove this by winning. Until then it's just speculation. Playing the game of "if such and such had a good car, such and such would be better than him" is pointless hypothesizing.

Last season i think it's a well known fact that the McClaren wasn't the best car. It was very good, but the Ferrari was allround a better machine. Despite that, and despite numerous penalties, Lewis still won. And where was his team-mate?

Still, there will always be the detractors trying to suggest that it was down to the car and not the driver. That's why i think this season will be good. McClaren patently do not have the best car - far from it. However, i think that like all great drivers, he'll squeeze some great performances out of the car, a la Alonso, Schumacher etc. Putting all the controversy aside, Melbourne was a perfect example - to race from the very back of the grid to 4th.

As for the likes of Kubica and Vettel - they might be great drivers too but they have to prove this by winning. Until then it's just speculation. Playing the game of "if such and such had a good car, such and such would be better than him" is pointless hypothesizing.

No one is saying it's only the best car that will win and I'm certainly not knocking Hamilton but if your car is not competative you are simply going to struggle and lets face it Hamilton did pass people but his position was greatly enhanced by the accidents that took place.

Please tell me of one car that has been a front runner other than the likes of Ferrari, Maclaren, BMW, Williams etc, the under funded teams will only get a podium finish if there is a catastrophe to the usual front runners, and yes Vettel won his first F1 race last season.

lets face it Hamilton did pass people but his position was greatly enhanced by the accidents that took place.

True but the fact that he wasn't himself involved in an accident didn't happen by magic you know. Keeping the car on the track, not over-driving and avoiding collision is all part of the skill of being a racing driver - it's not all about just going fast. You have to be there at the chequered flag - and he was.

lets face it Hamilton did pass people but his position was greatly enhanced by the accidents that took place.

True but the fact that he wasn't himself involved in an accident didn't happen by magic you know. Keeping the car on the track, not over-driving and avoiding collision is all part of the skill of being a racing driver - it's not all about just going fast. You have to be there at the chequered flag - and he was.

I dont disagree with what your saying and he was there at the finish, but starting from the back of the grid helped him no end after the carnage at the first corner and contrary to rixalex opinion that I'm a detractor of Hamiltons performance is crap, I'm pointing out that all drivers need a certain amount of luck and in Australia it was Hamiltons turn , not a problem, I don't like the way he and the team lied about Trulli.

I dont disagree with what your saying and he was there at the finish, but starting from the back of the grid helped him no end after the carnage at the first corner and contrary to rixalex opinion that I'm a detractor of Hamiltons performance is crap, I'm pointing out that all drivers need a certain amount of luck and in Australia it was Hamiltons turn , not a problem, I don't like the way he and the team lied about Trulli.

Agreed, especially the bit underlined.

It's no excuse, but i can understand how a young driver could place his trust in a senior team member and simply follow his advice.

Anyway, he's learnt a lesson and hopefully in the future he will think and speak for himself.

Agreed, especially the bit underlined.

It's no excuse, but i can understand how a young driver could place his trust in a senior team member and simply follow his advice.

Anyway, he's learnt a lesson and hopefully in the future he will think and speak for himself.

Hopefully he will, he's too talented to have to stoop to the kind of tricks that Shumacher got up to, especially that b------t when he parked his car on the corner to prevent anyone beating his practice time at Monaco not to mention Damien Hill and Villenueve?. winning is important just don't sell your own integrity and self respect to achieve it.

Hopefully he will, he's too talented to have to stoop to the kind of tricks that Shumacher got up to, especially that b------t when he parked his car on the corner to prevent anyone beating his practice time at Monaco not to mention Damien Hill and Villenueve?. winning is important just don't sell your own integrity and self respect to achieve it.

100% agree! Schumacher fell short of being a great in my eyes because of his tactics. Yes he was a great driver, perhaps the greatest, but he wasn't a sportsman - he wanted to win and didn't care what the cost. Lewis has to be very careful he doesn't make the same mistake. Some things are more important than winning, like being able to hold your head high. I think now his head is held very low. Even as a fan, i won't be upset if he gets further punishment. There's no room in the sport for cheating.

...It's no excuse, but i can understand how a young driver could place his trust in a senior team member and simply follow his advice.

Yes, that's how I see it having read the latest news (posted earlier). So this bloke Dave Ryan lied and put Hamilton in the position of either telling the truth and getting Ryan into trouble, or backing Ryan. And being a good "team player" he chose to back Ryan, forgetting that the radio transmissions would catch them both out.

So I reckon 90% blame to Ryan and 10% to Hamilton - it must have been a very awkward time for Hamilton. I, too, hope he has learnt his lesson.