Thai Premier League...

Jim's_a_Thai_Fox

I'm off to Kanchanaburi Stadium this Sunday, TOT FC vs. BKK Utd.

Great that we have a team here now, albeit with a slightly dodgy name. Surely Kanchanaburi Town or Kanchanaburi City would be better..??

This is where I feel the Asian leagues detatch themselves from the fans, it's too corporate with teams like TOT, Krung Thai, Thai Farmers etc. It's the same in Japan, Korea.

Still getting involved though. Hopefully Suphanburi FC will get promoted to the Prem next season then we'll have a real Derby Day to look forward to.

COME ON KAN...!!!!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm off to Kanchanaburi Stadium this Sunday, TOT FC vs. BKK Utd.

Great that we have a team here now, albeit with a slightly dodgy name. Surely Kanchanaburi Town or Kanchanaburi City would be better..??

This is where I feel the Asian leagues detatch themselves from the fans, it's too corporate with teams like TOT, Krung Thai, Thai Farmers etc. It's the same in Japan, Korea.

Still getting involved though. Hopefully Suphanburi FC will get promoted to the Prem next season then we'll have a real Derby Day to look forward to.

COME ON KAN...!!!!

I hope you enjoy the matcch, CG. We (Chonburi) made heavy weather of beating a rather poor TOT side last Friday - maybe you just had an off day?

The company/forces topic has been discussed many times in the past but there are signs that the "powers that be" are addressing the issue by making clubs identify more with towns and provinces. The main problem previously has been that a lot of clubs have had a fairly nomadic existence and ties haven't been formed with local communities.

The 2004/2005 was an extreme example of this when the TPL toured the country playing matches at different venues each weekend.

It's no secret that Chonburi's success has been the catalyst for a lot of the recent developments, as it proved what could be acheived with a well run provincial club who draw support from the local area.

There's still a long way to go but there are signs that things are moving in the right direction.

Most of what I've just written applies to the TPL. You'll find that further down the pyramid there are lots of "local teams for local people".

Hi Nigbon. As the fountain of all knowledge do you think you could find the fixture list of my local team. They are Nakhon Si Thammarat and play in Division 2 South. The thaileague website is out of date and only says fixtures to follow. I guess for the lower divisions the system for reporting results and updating tables has yet to be perfected.

Hi Nigbon. As the fountain of all knowledge do you think you could find the fixture list of my local team. They are Nakhon Si Thammarat and play in Division 2 South. The thaileague website is out of date and only says fixtures to follow. I guess for the lower divisions the system for reporting results and updating tables has yet to be perfected.

Not Nigbon but I hope this helps.

Apr 25 - Phuket A

May 3 - Pattani H

May 10 - Naratiwat A

May 16 - Satun H

May 24 - Krabi A

Official site here : http://www.fat.or.th/web/D2-table4.php

Not Nigbon but I hope this helps.

Apr 25 - Phuket A

May 3 - Pattani H

May 10 - Naratiwat A

May 16 - Satun H

May 24 - Krabi A

Official site here : http://www.fat.or.th/web/D2-table4.php

many thanks for the fixtures and the link

the Div 2 South fixtures are just up.... soz for the delay

http://www.thaileaguefootball.com/index.ph...le&Id=76887

by the way this is only the first leg. You gotta be happy with your team so far, three matches and three wins. on Saturday 4-3 win over Phuket sounds like it was a fun game

thanks for the email but the information on the website is all wrong showing a win on the 29th April which hasnt happened yet. SriRachaShark's website seems to be more accurate but it is in Thai and after 10 years I still cant read Thai. In fact I can hardly talk it. However with a little help in translation I believe we are top now and our next match is 17.00 hrs on Sunday 3rd May at home to Pattani which will be my first match. I'm not quite sure what you mean by the first leg. As I understand it if you finish top of your division you then play off against the other table toppers for the right to get promotion to division 1 but even then you only get promoted if you ask and have adequate facilities. Is all that correct

Edited by mysterytrevor

the Div 2 South fixtures are just up.... soz for the delay

http://www.thaileaguefootball.com/index.ph...le&Id=76887

by the way this is only the first leg. You gotta be happy with your team so far, three matches and three wins. on Saturday 4-3 win over Phuket sounds like it was a fun game

thanks for the email but the information on the website is all wrong showing a win on the 29th April which hasnt happened yet. SriRachaShark's website seems to be more accurate but it is in Thai and after 10 years I still cant read Thai. In fact I can hardly talk it. However with a little help in translation I believe we are top now and our next match is 17.00 hrs on Sunday 3rd May at home to Pattani which will be my first match. I'm not quite sure what you mean by the first leg. As I understand it if you finish top of your division you then play off against the other table toppers for the right to get promotion to division 1 but even then you only get promoted if you ask and have adequate facilities. Is all that correct

Correct,MT. Your team is top, two points ahead of Satun after 3 games. The next match is indeed advertised as being at home on May 3rd against Pattani. However, it is always best to check these things.

The "first leg" refers to the first round of matches. Usually, the second round mirrors the first in that you will play the team you played in your first match last, the team you played second will be your penultimate game etc etc

I'm not sure how it will work with play-offs and promotion at the end of the season. And, I'm willing to bet that FAT don't either :o It's very much a case of, make it up as we go along. However, I don't think that the quality of your stadium plays any part in it. After all, Pattaya Utd have just been allowed to buy their way into the TPL playing at a ground that would embarrass most Sunday League teams in England, whilst Korat, in Div 2 North East, play at the best, well equipped stadium in the entire league pyramid.

You get used to the rather random nature of Thai domestic football after a while : )

Let us know how you get on on Sunday.

Edited by SriRachaShark

Hi Chaps,

Been down in Samui for a week so couldn't get to the TOT vs Chula game on Sunday. Great result though, 3-0 to the boys.

The BKK Utd game the week before was a lucky 1-1 draw. If we had a better striker we might have won it right at the death but that would have been daylight robbery...!!!

Was a great day out though, took my little boy along for our first father/son footy match, always a big moment in life. Good turnout as well with around 2,500 - 3,000 punters and even 200 or so BKK fans travelled over.

Next home game is 9th May vs Osotspa.

COME ON KAN...!!!

Hi Chaps,

Been down in Samui for a week so couldn't get to the TOT vs Chula game on Sunday. Great result though, 3-0 to the boys.

The BKK Utd game the week before was a lucky 1-1 draw. If we had a better striker we might have won it right at the death but that would have been daylight robbery...!!!

Was a great day out though, took my little boy along for our first father/son footy match, always a big moment in life. Good turnout as well with around 2,500 - 3,000 punters and even 200 or so BKK fans travelled over.

Next home game is 9th May vs Osotspa.

COME ON KAN...!!!

Thanks, CG.

I'm glad to hear that you, and your son, enjoyed the match. Please keep us updated with TOT's progress. I'm looking forward to my trip there, with Chonburi, during the second half of the season. Especially as it will be a new ground for me - another one to cross off my list : )

Edited by SriRachaShark

so glad I happened upon this forum. Just got back from my first Division 2 South match. Nakhon Si Thammarat v Pattani. Another win 6 - 2.

so 4 wins out of 4 and top of the table. Peter Reid better get an extensive scouting system going from what I saw today. Several players had the skill and speed of thought to be taken into the reckoning. The first half was played in torrential rain with the ball getting stuck in the puddles but the skill level of the NST team was such that the were 3 nil up in side 20 minutes. The facilities at Ron Phibun Stadium are first class. Everything is new with excellent floodlights,electronic scoreboard etc. A very professional set up and the entrance was free. The attendance at a guess was over 1000 that with no publicity as far as I know. Certainly none of the youngsters in my village were aware that the team existed so I took some of them along.

:) Went along yesterday to watch Buriram play Udon Thani i arrived just after 16:00 and sat down looked at the score board and Buriram were losing 0-1 Then after 5 minutes they put on a sub which i thought was a bit odd Then Udon put one on also 10 mionutes later bothe sides put another which i thought was strange as the game was only going 20 minutes.Then Udon increased there lead with a well taken goal by there No10 so Buriram were 2 nil down Then the fourth offical came out with his board showing 3 minutes this passed and the ref blew his whistle and the game was over :D

Before i went i looked on the internet and it stated a 16:00 kick off but this must have been changed to 14:45.

Where can i get the correct Kick Off times????????

:) Went along yesterday to watch Buriram play Udon Thani i arrived just after 16:00 and sat down looked at the score board and Buriram were losing 0-1 Then after 5 minutes they put on a sub which i thought was a bit odd Then Udon put one on also 10 mionutes later bothe sides put another which i thought was strange as the game was only going 20 minutes.Then Udon increased there lead with a well taken goal by there No10 so Buriram were 2 nil down Then the fourth offical came out with his board showing 3 minutes this passed and the ref blew his whistle and the game was over :D

Before i went i looked on the internet and it stated a 16:00 kick off but this must have been changed to 14:45.

Where can i get the correct Kick Off times????????

I'm glad to see nothing has changed lower down the pyramid. ; )

A similar thing happened to me a few years ago. We had been going along to watch Chonburi play in the Pro League every Sunday. One week we arrived at our usual time and headed towards the stand. In those days we were only getting a few dozen fans at games so we weren't particularly bothered that it seemed quieter than usual. However, we did think it odd that the players weren't warming up as we approached the stadium.

We saw a bloke walking across the car park so I asked him if the kick off time had been changed. "They played yesterday", came the reply.

It's the only home game I've missed in six years!!

It's a lot easier now but these things still happen from time to time. It was like a secret underground movement a few years ago.

I suggest that you get the contact details and phone number of someone who attends regularly and, preferably, is connected to the club - I used to ring one of the players before each match. That way you can be kept informed of any late changes.

Hope this helps.

a great article written about Muang Thong United and Thai Premier League football by Matt,

South East Asian football often gets a poor press highlighting corruption, organisational incompetence and parochial players of limited ability in everything but the art of diving. So I went to my first Thai Premier League game with the lowest of expectations.

I support an English Premier League team but, after 9 years here in Thailand I have always yearned for the match day routine. Meet friends, enjoy a beer or two before the walk to the ground and mill around whilst the stadium fills, feeling the atmosphere build. This week, finally and fantastically, I have rediscovered it. I went to watch my local team, MuangThong United, expecting to see a dozen or less fans watching third rate football. I was delightfully wrong.

The ground, whilst only having one stand, has an immaculate pitch and two other stands being built. The current stand was packed with 5000 supporters led by a large group of “Ultras.” The Ultras in European football have associations with far right, violent thugs who use football as a political platform and recruiting ground. The leader of the MuangThong Ultras could not have been more welcoming. He proudly showed off his fellow fans, then spent the rest of the afternoon worrying whether we were enjoying ourselves enough. This is where the experience became surreal . My childhood on terraces rife with filthy language and hate was washed away.

Being brought up on rabid referee baiting fans, the start of the game felt strange. The atmosphere was excellent, but a near miss and a player felled in the first few seconds seemed to pass off unnoticed as the fans got themselves organised for a sing song. Later, when the game got heated, the 3 Ultras charged with choreographing the constant singing warned people via a loudhailer to please watch their language. Beautiful.

At the end of the game the opposition fans tried to walk through the home crowd area. This was a flashpoint I had seen so many times as a child and usually ended up in grief. But this is Thailand. A formidable old woman forced the guards to open the gates . As they started filtering through the leaders of the Ultras rushed forward to meet their enemy and led the home crown in applauding, yes applauding, them as they walked by. This after a game where one red and umpteen yellow cards had been brandished : more than enough excuse for aggravation. My two young sons, bless them, saw this as perfectly normal, but it gave me chills. Even reading this back now does the same.

As much as I love Aston Villa, a club my family has supported for generations, there must always be a place for supporting the team where you live. Despite all of Thailand’s suicidal tendencies politically, if the passion, respect, and pride in your team is replicated and developed, there is hope for us all yet. Slowly, surely, building a nation to be proud of can start from the football field and maybe, hopefully, one day it can be transferred to the political arena. I left the match yet again puzzled and proud in equal measure at this glorious nation and its ability to confound everyone, including itself.

a great article written about Muang Thong United and Thai Premier League football by Matt,

South East Asian football often gets a poor press highlighting corruption, organisational incompetence and parochial players of limited ability in everything but the art of diving. So I went to my first Thai Premier League game with the lowest of expectations.

I support an English Premier League team but, after 9 years here in Thailand I have always yearned for the match day routine. Meet friends, enjoy a beer or two before the walk to the ground and mill around whilst the stadium fills, feeling the atmosphere build. This week, finally and fantastically, I have rediscovered it. I went to watch my local team, MuangThong United, expecting to see a dozen or less fans watching third rate football. I was delightfully wrong.

The ground, whilst only having one stand, has an immaculate pitch and two other stands being built. The current stand was packed with 5000 supporters led by a large group of "Ultras." The Ultras in European football have associations with far right, violent thugs who use football as a political platform and recruiting ground. The leader of the MuangThong Ultras could not have been more welcoming. He proudly showed off his fellow fans, then spent the rest of the afternoon worrying whether we were enjoying ourselves enough. This is where the experience became surreal . My childhood on terraces rife with filthy language and hate was washed away.

Being brought up on rabid referee baiting fans, the start of the game felt strange. The atmosphere was excellent, but a near miss and a player felled in the first few seconds seemed to pass off unnoticed as the fans got themselves organised for a sing song. Later, when the game got heated, the 3 Ultras charged with choreographing the constant singing warned people via a loudhailer to please watch their language. Beautiful.

At the end of the game the opposition fans tried to walk through the home crowd area. This was a flashpoint I had seen so many times as a child and usually ended up in grief. But this is Thailand. A formidable old woman forced the guards to open the gates . As they started filtering through the leaders of the Ultras rushed forward to meet their enemy and led the home crown in applauding, yes applauding, them as they walked by. This after a game where one red and umpteen yellow cards had been brandished : more than enough excuse for aggravation. My two young sons, bless them, saw this as perfectly normal, but it gave me chills. Even reading this back now does the same.

As much as I love Aston Villa, a club my family has supported for generations, there must always be a place for supporting the team where you live. Despite all of Thailand's suicidal tendencies politically, if the passion, respect, and pride in your team is replicated and developed, there is hope for us all yet. Slowly, surely, building a nation to be proud of can start from the football field and maybe, hopefully, one day it can be transferred to the political arena. I left the match yet again puzzled and proud in equal measure at this glorious nation and its ability to confound everyone, including itself.

What a smashing and hopeful story, Nigbon, I'm sure all true football fans hope this continues.

For any visiting supporters coming to Phetchabun games, you're very welcome to sit and watch the match with us.

The Phitsanulok folks who came to our last home game were very friendly, and asked me if I'd be going there for the return game, but I think I'm going to be back in the UK for a short spell when it's played.

Still there's always next year.

Edited because I pressed the button before I'd written anything - oops!

Edited by WeeGB

Samut Songkhram 0 Chonburi 1

A well deserved victory and much more comfortable than the scoreline suggests. After a scrappy opening five minutes, Chonburi settled down and started to play some good stuff. Their passing and movement was fantastic and our defence - Nattapong, Kiatprawut, Suttinan & Suree - looked secure. We had three decent opportunities - the first, an Arthit free kick that rattled the bar, was followed by a shot from Kone, which the keeper got down low to his right to save, and a point blank header from Kiatprawut also saved (somehow!!) by the goalie.

For the second half the home team changed their tactics in order to break up Chonburi's rhythm. Lots of time wasting and feigning injury etc, something that they also did against Sri Racha last weekend. They even employed the services of a local witch doctor to summon up a big black cloud in the hope of getting the match abandoned. However, after a brief consultation with the two coaches, captains and a FAT representative, the last fifteen minutes were played out in the gloom and the rain.

A free kick from Arthit (who else) won the points with 5 minutes remaining. Maybe the keeper failed to see the ball in the darkness but, when you play at a stadium that has no floodlights, that is the price you pay.

The heavy storm that immediately followed the match couldn't dampen the spirits of the 1200 - 1500 impeccably behaved visiting fans. Even the hour long wait for the buses to come and pick us up didn't seem to matter. A good three points and a great day day out : )

Edited by SriRachaShark

• 2 weeks later...

10 rounds (one third) of the season has past, this is the Premier League table

Team - Pts

1 Bangkok Glass 24

2 Chonburi 20

3 Osotsapa 20

4 Muangthong Utd 19

5 Thai Port FC 14

6 Nakhonpathom 13

7 BEC Tero 12

8 TOT 12

9 TTM Samutsakhon 11

10 Pattaya Utd 11

11 Bangkok Utd 11

12 PEA 10

13 Samutsongkham 10

14 Navy Rayong 9

15 Sriracha 6

16 Chula Utd 3

And a quick run down on the other divisions from http://www.thaileaguefootball.com/

Division 1 - Suphanburi and Thai Honda have a chance to concrete their position in the top 3, however their oponenets, Sri Saket and Prachinburi can peg them back into a congested leading group if they can manage a win. Police are 5 points clear at the top and should have no troubles against Prachinburi.

Division 2 - This Sunday Chaing Rai are attempting to make it 7 wins from 7 matches, Petchabun keeping up the pressure. Korat are sitting 6 points clear at the top of North East Region and may have one foot in Div 1 2010 after this weekend. 1st v 3rd is the notable match in the Central Region where the lead is hotly contested. The dominant team of Bangkok region will be decided when Rachapracha and Rachavithi meet. The 3 horse race between Satun, Narathiwat and Nakhon Sri Tammarat continues in the South.

Today, my local team TOT (Kanchanaburi) playing Navy Rayong. KO 18.00. Hopefully another 3 points for the lads against 3rd from bottom. There's a squad of us going from our local so will be pretty lively down there.

Team - Pts

1 Bangkok Glass 24

2 Chonburi 20

3 Osotsapa 20

4 Muangthong Utd 19

5 Thai Port FC 14

6 Nakhonpathom 13

7 BEC Tero 12

8 TOT 12

9 TTM Samutsakhon 11

10 Pattaya Utd 11

11 Bangkok Utd 11

12 PEA 10

13 Samutsongkham 10

14 Navy Rayong 9

15 Sriracha 6

16 Chula Utd 3

And a quick run down on the other divisions from http://www.thaileaguefootball.com/

Division 1 - Suphanburi and Thai Honda have a chance to concrete their position in the top 3, however their oponenets, Sri Saket and Prachinburi can peg them back into a congested leading group if they can manage a win. Police are 5 points clear at the top and should have no troubles against Prachinburi.

Division 2 - This Sunday Chaing Rai are attempting to make it 7 wins from 7 matches, Petchabun keeping up the pressure. Korat are sitting 6 points clear at the top of North East Region and may have one foot in Div 1 2010 after this weekend. 1st v 3rd is the notable match in the Central Region where the lead is hotly contested. The dominant team of Bangkok region will be decided when Rachapracha and Rachavithi meet. The 3 horse race between Satun, Narathiwat and Nakhon Sri Tammarat continues in the South.

Where are the North East Div 2 tables to be found?

Team - Pts

1 Bangkok Glass 24

2 Chonburi 20

3 Osotsapa 20

4 Muangthong Utd 19

5 Thai Port FC 14

6 Nakhonpathom 13

7 BEC Tero 12

8 TOT 12

9 TTM Samutsakhon 11

10 Pattaya Utd 11

11 Bangkok Utd 11

12 PEA 10

13 Samutsongkham 10

14 Navy Rayong 9

15 Sriracha 6

16 Chula Utd 3

Where are the North East Div 2 tables to be found?

http://www.clubwebsite.co.uk/koratfc/league_table.pl

Try here. And check out the rest of this site : )

Chonburi 3 Nakorn Pathom 0

An excellent result. Three more points and three more goals. BKK Glass only drew so it's been a good day so far.

First half we looked very comfortable. Kone scored a well worked goal, we had another disallowed and a strong claim for a penalty turned down.

NP played some neat and tidy football at times but, apart from a cross/shot that hit the top of the bar, never really threatened.

Chonburi started the second half fantastically. A lovely solo goal by Pipob (he's sure got his confidence back after his two goals during the week) early on looked like the signal for the floodgates to open. During the next 15 to 20 minutes we played some brilliant football and a big win seemed certain.

However, the visitors worked hard to get themselves back into the game and, but for some woeful finishing, could have nicked an unlikely point.

Thankfully, Maruyama Yoshiaki headed home an Arthit corner (one of about 15 we had in the match) and the collective relief was the cue for the celebrations to begin.

The only downside to the day was a serious injury to Suree who was taken to hospital midway through the first half. I don't have any news at the moment but I hope he's OK.

The crowd was announced as 4,500 - I would have put the figure a little higher - and there was a good atmosphere. I'd say about 50 fans had made the trip from NP.

Stretcher count - Chonburi 2 Nakorn Pathom 1 - And that includes the Suree injury which was a genuine case of a stretcher being needed.

Ref Watch - He started off well but seemed to get more decisions wrong as the game went on. He certainly wasn't a "Homer" but thankfully I don't think that he had that much of an influence on the result.

Edited by SriRachaShark

• 2 weeks later...

Big match on tomorrow (7th June) in Bangkok - Thai Port v Pattaya United at 5.30pm

Some chat about the two teams in the thaileagefootball forum

this is a match report from Thai Ports last match -

http://www.thaileaguefootball.com/index.ph...ge=&No=2072 and some chat about Pattaya United -

http://www.thaileaguefootball.com/index.ph...e=1&No=2052

This is the map to the stadium -

http://maps.google.co.th/maps?q=%E0%B8%AA%...sa=N&tab=il

Edited by Nigbon

• 2 weeks later...
Excelent stuff. Moving to Petchabuhn in 10 days so will get me rattled dusted off and have some.

Keep reading through the thread and seeing Petchabun and misreading it as Phetchaburi. Anyone know it there's a Phet'buri local team. What league and so forth. Cheers

Excelent stuff. Moving to Petchabuhn in 10 days so will get me rattled dusted off and have some.

Keep reading through the thread and seeing Petchabun and misreading it as Phetchaburi. Anyone know it there's a Phet'buri local team. What league and so forth. Cheers

Afraid there is no team in Petchaburi, but there a are a bunch of teams around you. In the Premier League Samut Songkrahm is just north of you. In Div 2 Central region there is a Rachaburi and Prachuap Khiri Khan team. The full table of division 2 teams are here. http://www.thaileaguefootball.com/index.ph...867&Ntype=2

also can check out the forum for info http://www.thaifootball.com/webboard/index...7&board=2.0

• 2 weeks later...

Afraid there is no team in Petchaburi, but there a are a bunch of teams around you. In the Premier League Samut Songkrahm is just north of you. In Div 2 Central region there is a Rachaburi and Prachuap Khiri Khan team. The full table of division 2 teams are here. http://www.thaileaguefootball.com/index.ph...867&Ntype=2

also can check out the forum for info http://www.thaifootball.com/webboard/index...7&board=2.0

Thanks for the links there. Prachuap is probably the nearest to Cha-Am and would make a nice day out also. Cheers