Rentry Permit Only At Specific Sites: Is This A Joke?

Is it true that a holder of non-O visa (I have a non-O Thai wife visa) can only get a reentry permit at the immigration office that serves the province he lives in? :D

If true, this will severely impact the ability of resident expats to travel freely at a moments notice. :o

In my case, given that my province does not have an immigration office, it means a 1200 km round trip journey to a city in northern Thailand. :D

If true, it represents yet another "expat unfriendly" immigration rule change. :D

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it true that a holder of non-O visa (I have a non-O Thai wife visa) can only get a reentry permit at the immigration office that serves the province he lives in? :D

If true, this will severely impact the ability of resident expats to travel freely at a moments notice. :o

In my case, given that my province does not have an immigration office, it means a 1200 km round trip journey to a city in northern Thailand. :D

If true, it represents yet another "expat unfriendly" immigration rule change. :D

I asume you are talking about a 12 month extension. Not a Non O Visa.

Yes by all reports you have to apply at the office that serves your area.

Yes. Crazy.

Now it is a good idea to get one when you apply for your extension whether you need it or not. Just in case.

In my case, given that my province does not have an immigration office, it means a 1200 km round trip journey to a city in northern Thailand. :wai:

Yes. Crazy.

Now it is a good idea to get one when you apply for your extension whether you need it or not. Just in case.

I have a one year non-O visa (Thai wife) like many others here. I am concerned about keeping my visa status after leaving the country. Maybe I want to return home or take a short trip to Cambodia........whatever.

To leave the country and not lose my visa status, I need a reentry permit. Right? And now I have to take a 1200 km journey that will take me two days just to get a stupid frekin' $%$#@& stamp!

Here is a scenario that might unfold: I am on a sailboat with some friends off the coast of southern Thailand. We are right off the coast near a city that straddles the Thai-Cambodia border, and it has an immigration office.

They have tourists visas. I live in Thailand and have a non-O. We all decide, on the spur of the moment, to cross the border and travel to Sihanoukville, Cambodia.

They can easily do it. But I have to tell them to wait three days for me to travel to northern Thailand to get a freakin' reentry stamp....... :D

Is it true that The Three Stooges are still alive and working in Thailand. I am convinced it is true.... :D

Can't really understand all the b!tching, simple solution is to apply for a single or a multi re-entry when you renew your extension each year - also apparently there is provision for emergency re-entry visa at the airport if you need to leave the country on short notice cause your granny or pet dog is dying o/seas and you need to get home.

Can't really understand all the b!tching, simple solution is to apply for a single or a multi re-entry when you renew your extension each year - also apparently there is provision for emergency re-entry visa at the airport if you need to leave the country on short notice cause your granny or pet dog is dying o/seas and you need to get home.

Do you have any "I LOVE THAI IMMIGRATION" t-shirts to go with your comments?

If you are here on a visa entry (90 days for non immigrant) you do not require a re-entry permit using the normal multi entry visa. There is no such thing as a Thai wife visa.

I suspect you are not on a visa but on an extension of stay for one year from Immigration. Reason: Thai wife. Did you use a TM.7 form and visit immigration with your wife to get the one year?

So if on extension of stay you will require a re-entry permit for travel to keep it alive. But you are free to get it at any time (even when you pick up your extension of stay). But the new rule is it must be done at your home area office (which is also where you have to obtain an extension of stay now).

get the multi entry stamped in when you go pick up your visa at renewal time. Can't be that hard can it?

"Be prepared" as the boy scouts say. Or if you can't be arsed to do it yourself, give someone 500 baht to go do it for you.

Edited by samran

In my case, given that my province does not have an immigration office, it means a 1200 km round trip journey to a city in northern Thailand. :wai:

Yes. Crazy.

I have a one year non-O visa (Thai wife) like many others here. I am concerned about keeping my visa status after leaving the country. Maybe I want to return home or take a short trip to Cambodia........whatever.

To leave the country and not lose my visa status, I need a reentry permit. Right? And now I have to take a 1200 km journey that will take me two days just to get a stupid frekin' $%$#@& stamp!

Here is a scenario that might unfold: I am on a sailboat with some friends off the coast of southern Thailand. We are right off the coast near a city that straddles the Thai-Cambodia border, and it has an immigration office.

They have tourists visas. I live in Thailand and have a non-O. We all decide, on the spur of the moment, to cross the border and travel to Sihanoukville, Cambodia.

They can easily do it. But I have to tell them to wait three days for me to travel to northern Thailand to get a freakin' reentry stamp....... :D

Is it true that The Three Stooges are still alive and working in Thailand. I am convinced it is true.... :D

I don't know how much it costs you to travel/Km but just get a re-entry permit when you renew your visa..will save you time and money I expect. No one really loves Thai Immigration..you just have to make the best of it..or leave..simple as that..sorry.

I have a one year non-O visa (Thai wife) like many others here. I am concerned about keeping my visa status after leaving the country.

If you have a Non O Visa you do not need a Re Entry Permit because you will have a Multi Entry.

If you have a 12 month Extension of your temporary permision to stay in the Kingdom because of a Thai Wife. (Same as Me) then you will need one to leave.

I agree with you it is a problem. We can only hope that after a while they will agree and change it.

Also paying out for a Re Entry Permit you may or not use seems a total waste of money.

If you are here on a visa entry (90 days for non immigrant) you do not require a re-entry permit using the normal multi entry visa. There is no such thing as a Thai wife visa.

I suspect you are not on a visa but on an extension of stay for one year from Immigration. Reason: Thai wife. Did you use a TM.7 form and visit immigration with your wife to get the one year?

So if on extension of stay you will require a re-entry permit for travel to keep it alive. But you are free to get it at any time (even when you pick up your extension of stay). But the new rule is it must be done at your home area office (which is also where you have to obtain an extension of stay now).

Some history:

I left the country and came back with a Non-O.

I got married to a Thai woman.

I went with my Thai wife to Immigration and got "an extension of stay for one year" based on being married to a Thai national (Thai wife).

Now I must report every 90 days (will try to do it by mail because it is a long and difficult trip to the immigration office).

(By the way, "Thai wife" is stamped in a few places in my passport--under the "application for extension of stay is under consideration" stamp.)

My most recent stamp says: Extension of stay permitted up to (sometime in 2010). Holder must leave the Kingdom within the date specified herein. Offenders will be prosecuted. Signed.....Dated in March.

At the bottom is says something in Thai and then RE-ENTRY, something else in Thai and then VISA, and something else in Thai.

So, I think they have just made it extremely difficult and costly for me to cross the border. And I think I am not alone.

I have a one year non-O visa (Thai wife) like many others here. I am concerned about keeping my visa status after leaving the country.

If you have a Non O Visa you do not need a Re Entry Permit because you will have a Multi Entry.

If you have a 12 month Extension of your temporary permision to stay in the Kingdom because of a Thai Wife. (Same as Me) then you will need one to leave.

I agree with you it is a problem. We can only hope that after a while they will agree and change it.

Also paying out for a Re Entry Permit you may or not use seems a total waste of money.

Lite Beer

Re your last sentence, the re-entry permit is sort of like medical insurance, you really hope you lose your money by not using it! However, don't be caught without it!

Mac

OP

Actually the cost for the re-entry permit is the same but now you must either obtain when you obtain your one year extension of stay or risk having to make a special trip to obtain it later. So for some little change - for others (like you) a major PIA.

All the writing in your passport is extension of stay and not a visa - which is why you need the re-entry permit to act as your visa for entry. That is the system here unfortunately. Before any office could issue so not a major problem (if you knew the rule) - now it is difficult for many.

Some history:

I left the country and came back with a Non-O.

I got married to a Thai woman.

I went with my Thai wife to Immigration and got "an extension of stay for one year" based on being married to a Thai national (Thai wife).

Now I must report every 90 days (will try to do it by mail because it is a long and difficult trip to the immigration office).

(By the way, "Thai wife" is stamped in a few places in my passport--under the "application for extension of stay is under consideration" stamp.)

My most recent stamp says: Extension of stay permitted up to (sometime in 2010). Holder must leave the Kingdom within the date specified herein. Offenders will be prosecuted. Signed.....Dated in March.

At the bottom is says something in Thai and then RE-ENTRY, something else in Thai and then VISA, and something else in Thai.

So, I think they have just made it extremely difficult and costly for me to cross the border. And I think I am not alone.

Ok, so you are not with Non O visa anymore. You have one year extension of stay based on marriage.

I still fail to see why it is extremely difficult to get multiple re-entry permit done same time with your extension as it costs penuts and can be done same time. This will allow you to come and go as you please during your sailing trips down south.

No one really loves Thai Immigration..you just have to make the best of it..or leave..simple as that..sorry.

Exactly.

I've done my share of fuming after encounters, but in all fairness, nobody loves immigration departments anywhere in the world. Not if they are on the "immigrant" side of the equation, anyhow.

I'm from the US and whenever Thai Immigration rules, procedures or personnel get my blood boiling I just remind myself of the considerable hassles foreigners coming to or trying to stay in my home country face.

Lite Beer

Re your last sentence, the re-entry permit is sort of like medical insurance, you really hope you lose your money by not using it! However, don't be caught without it!

Mac

Clearly you have a different outlook on life than me.

Not wrong. Just different. :o

Did anyone say anything about loving Thai immigration. I too think it is a pain in the a_rse but the rules are the rules and the best way to handle the rules in Thailand is to be one step ahead.

Getting a re-entry is no big hassle only if you are not thinking about what might eventuate in the next 12 months.

Yes. Crazy.

My dictionary says:

ex·ten·sion play_w2("E0295400") (ibreve.gifk-stebreve.gifnprime.gifshschwa.gifn)n.

1. The act of extending or the condition of being extended.

2. The amount, degree, or range to which something extends or can extend: The wire has an extension of 50 feet.

3. a. The act of straightening or extending a limb.b. The position assumed by an extended limb.

4. Medicine The application of traction to a fractured or dislocated limb to restore the normal position.

5. a. An addition that increases the area, influence, operation, or contents of something: an extension for the vacuum cleaner; built a new extension onto the hospital wing.

b. An additional telephone connected to a main line.

6. a. An allowance of extra time, as for the repayment of a debt.

b. The period of this extra time: three months' extension on the loan.

7. The property of an object by which it occupies space.

8. A program in a university, college, or school that offers instruction, as by television or correspondence, to persons unable to attend at the usual time or in the usual place.

9. Logic The class of objects designated by a specific term or concept; denotation.

10. Mathematics A set that includes a given and similar set as a subset.

11. Computer Science A set of characters that follow a filename and are separated from it by a period, used to identify the kind of file: In most operating systems, file names having the extension .EXE are executable files.

Thus the OP has a non-O visa which has been EXTENDED, thus he is still on a non-O visa in my book.

As for the (single-multiple) re-entry permit is an extra complication and money maker invented by Thai authorities certainly not intended to make life easier for us, non-immigrants amplified by changing rules not in our favour once more.

One can wonder?

Ok, if you don't like it here just leave, joining the brigade :o

Edited by tartempion

While getting a re-entry permit when you get you visa extended makes sense now, it didn't always. I think a lot of the grief now is from people who got their extensions before the rules changed. They had been dealing with an office that was probably more convenient for them.

I agree that some of the locations don't make a lot of sense for some of the provinces. I suspect though, that the 1200km the OP stated is a bit of an exageration.

Yes. Crazy.

My dictionary says:

ex·ten·sion play_w2("E0295400") (ibreve.gifk-stebreve.gifnprime.gifshschwa.gifn)n.

1. The act of extending or the condition of being extended.

2. The amount, degree, or range to which something extends or can extend: The wire has an extension of 50 feet.

3. a. The act of straightening or extending a limb.b. The position assumed by an extended limb.

4. Medicine The application of traction to a fractured or dislocated limb to restore the normal position.

5. a. An addition that increases the area, influence, operation, or contents of something: an extension for the vacuum cleaner; built a new extension onto the hospital wing.

b. An additional telephone connected to a main line.

6. a. An allowance of extra time, as for the repayment of a debt.

b. The period of this extra time: three months' extension on the loan.

7. The property of an object by which it occupies space.

8. A program in a university, college, or school that offers instruction, as by television or correspondence, to persons unable to attend at the usual time or in the usual place.

9. Logic The class of objects designated by a specific term or concept; denotation.

10. Mathematics A set that includes a given and similar set as a subset.

11. Computer Science A set of characters that follow a filename and are separated from it by a period, used to identify the kind of file: In most operating systems, file names having the extension .EXE are executable files.

Thus the OP has a non-O visa which has been EXTENDED, thus he is still on a non-O visa in my book.

As for the (single-multiple) re-entry permit is an extra complication and money maker invented by Thai authorities certainly not intended to make life easier for us, non-immigrants amplified by changing rules not in our favour once more.

One can wonder?

Ok, if you don't like it here just leave, joining the brigade :o

I believe no one asked to see your books :D

Edited by MJo

While getting a re-entry permit when you get you visa extended makes sense now, it didn't always. I think a lot of the grief now is from people who got their extensions before the rules changed. They had been dealing with an office that was probably more convenient for them.

I agree that some of the locations don't make a lot of sense for some of the provinces. I suspect though, that the 1200km the OP stated is a bit of an exageration.

Unfortunately, the distance I will have to travel is about 1200 km round trip. I live in a long, narrow province. It does not have an immigration office. Now I (and other expats living here) have to travel a very long distance to a place in northern Thailand near the border with Myanmar.

By the way, I just saw something on another site that you might want to examine:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Suvarnabhumi...Forum-f105.html

Check out the sign at the airport that a member has posted. It appears to state that reentry permits can be obtained at any immigration checkpoint.........with the exception of the place you should be able to get it (the international airport).

Please confirm/deny.

Thanks.

And many of us don't know if we need a re-entry permit in the 12 months to come, which might lead us to spend an extra 1k baht for "Just in case". I know of many expats who have no plans to leave Thailand in the foreseeable future. Bad decision again from our friends at immigration :o

...Thus the OP has a non-O visa which has been EXTENDED, thus he is still on a non-O visa in my book.

The visa has not been extended. The permit to stay has been extended based on support of a Thai wife. There is a big difference between a visa and a permit to stay stamp.

Suggest you read the pinned post to get full explanations.

TH

Actually in another thread he appears to say he as a multi entry non immigrant O visa and makes 90 day stays so he does not even need re-entry permits.

Please clarify - do you exit country every 90 days and return for a new permitted to stay stamp? Or were you referring to 90 day address reporting in the other thread.

Actually in another thread he appears to say he as a multi entry non immigrant O visa and makes 90 day stays so he does not even need re-entry permits.

Please clarify - do you exit country every 90 days and return for a new permitted to stay stamp? Or were you referring to 90 day address reporting in the other thread.

I was talking about reporting every 90 days. My extension of stay is permitted up to Jan. 2010. I have to notify immigration of my address every 90 days (90 day reporting).

All of this started with a non-O visa.....then I went with my wife for the "interrogation." Then there was a waiting period during which my application for extension of stay was under consideration (stamped Thai wife).

Clear?

On another thread......the one about the airport in the swamp.......a person posted a sign that was posted at the airport and it states that reentry permits can be obtained at any immigration checkpoint (except the airport).

Somebody from immigration needs to go over there and read that sign. Do they not mean what they say?

I was talking about reporting every 90 days. My extension of stay is permitted up to Jan. 2010. I have to notify immigration of my address every 90 days (90 day reporting).

All of this started with a non-O visa.....then I went with my wife for the "interrogation." Then there was a waiting period during which my application for extension of stay was under consideration (stamped Thai wife).

Clear?

Clear. You have a 12 month Extension of your Temporary Permision to Stay in the Kingdom.

You qualify because you have a Thai Wife and you passed the interogation. :o

On another thread......the one about the airport in the swamp.......a person posted a sign that was posted at the airport and it states that reentry permits can be obtained at any immigration checkpoint (except the airport).

Somebody from immigration needs to go over there and read that sign. Do they not mean what they say?

Yes - they all issue them - but only for those eligible (having extended there or living there on a tourist or other visa entry).

Edited by lopburi3

What's so hard about Thai Immigration protecting their own nationals (the OP's Thai spouse) interest? You have used this marriage to conveniently extend YOUR stay but seem inconvenienced more by that fact that YOU may not be able to go cruising on your buddies yacht. I doubt any Immigration office wallah will see 'sea cruise to Cambodia' as supporting a Thai spouse.

Maybe you should not have messed with your previous "resident expat" status (whatever that is) with this marriage thingamajig? Once again, maybe the visa runs were getting boring eh?

This whole thing being unable to say the name of your "long, narrow province" and your travel to an Immigration office being "a very long distance to a place in northern Thailand near the border with Myanmar"... is your location THAT secret?

What's so hard about Thai Immigration protecting their own nationals (the OP's Thai spouse) interest? You have used this marriage to conveniently extend YOUR stay but seem inconvenienced more by that fact that YOU may not be able to go cruising on your buddies yacht. I doubt any Immigration office wallah will see 'sea cruise to Cambodia' as supporting a Thai spouse.

Maybe you should not have messed with your previous "resident expat" status (whatever that is) with this marriage thingamajig? Once again, maybe the visa runs were getting boring eh?

This whole thing being unable to say the name of your "long, narrow province" and your travel to an Immigration office being "a very long distance to a place in northern Thailand near the border with Myanmar"... is your location THAT secret?

Your assumptions about my marriage are invalid. The rest of your comments deserve no response.