Thai Banks To Start Charging For Atm Withdrawals ...

"does anyone know where there is a GSB bank in Pattaya?"

GSB ( Government Savings Bank ) ATMs that are Usury-Fee Free in Pattaya:

Tutcom IT Center on Pattaya Tai Rd., just inside the front door on the right

Royal Garden -- Branch of GSB bank on 2nd road.

At The Avenue and new Central-Festival Mall, but not confirmed exactly where

A couple of other ATMs on Beach Road and Walking Street --

2nd floor of Carrefour on Pattaya Klang.

Pattaya Nua -- Just east of Pattaya City Hall, toward Sukumvit -- both a bank and 24 hour ATM --

Probably others also -- their WWW has a stylized map in Thai language that is basically useless, but indicates locations of several others --

From an earlier ThaiVisa Post:

( GSB apparently hiding in the bathroom )

I was on the 4th floor of Central Festival in Pattaya which is the floor with all the banks. I noticed a Sign for ATM down the hallway where the bathrooms where. I took a walk down to see what ATM is down there but is not in the Main Floor.

It was a GSB ATM - NO FEE

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JC,

For comparisons, today's Interbank Exchange Rate (the best marker for ATM transactions) was 34.38......and the Bank of Thailand's average "buying TT" rate for the day (NOT a good marker for ATM transactions) was 34.24.

I guess I've got to get one of those no-<deleted> fee-free cards........

And you probably did even better than your numbers show. First off, BOT's rates are a single snapshot for the whole day -- and apparently they take it early AM. For example, on 29 May, the TT rate was 34.24 at 0800 per the SCB site -- the same (never updated) rate posted by the BOT site.

But by 1542hrs, again, according to SCB, the dollar had slid to 34.17 -- 7 satang lower than the opening rate -- and that's where it held. Also, the X-trade site reported their "IER lookalike" as 34.31, probably because their once-a-day snapshot was later in the day. And, this number was also 7satang below the BOT posted rate for IER.

Anyway, assuming you did your ATM run in the afternoon, your actual spread between the rate received and the going TT rate at the time was even better than 8 satang -- which ain't bad -- but a 15 satang spread is much better, and shows your Schwab card is truly golden.

When you wire, or ACH money to Thailand, you get the TT rate -- so, by definition, you'll always do worse than the TT rate -- even if the wire fee were free -- since you'd still have the .25% receive fee on this end. And somewhere on this thread I showed how, with a pure fee-free card, even if you had to pay the 150bt ATM fee, you'd be better off compared to ACHing money (as long as you took out 25000bt at a pop). Point: those fee-free cards that actually *are* fee-free can't be beat. So far, as far as I can recall, only three have surfaced re the US -- E*Trade, Schwab, and Capitol One. Can anyone confirm any others -- Fidelity maybe?

Used my Norwegian Visa card in Bank of Ayuttaya on the 28th. The ATM gave me a fee warning of 0,00 baht. This warning didn't use to be there a month ago or so. Have a feeling they will start to charge soon as well. But as of the moment they are yet to start. We can only hope. Anyway I normally transfer direct from bank to bank, and only uses my visa when I need money fast.

Reminds me of the late 90's, when they stopped giving interests on foreign owned accounts.

Cheers

Macb, youre asking good questions, which a lot of people probably don't know the answers to..

So, let me answer your latest one... In tems of using a foreign atm card to withdraw funds here in thailand...

Other than not using a Thai bank ATM that doesn't charge the 150 baht fee, it really doesn't matter much about the exchange rates between banks when making an atm withdrawal. Because, the Thai banks typically are NOT the ones setting the rates for those transactions.

What DOES matter a lot, however, and probably makes the BIGGEST different on what exchange rate you get when doing an aTM transaction, is what HOME BANK AND CARD you are using.

Not all ViSA and MC branded debit cards are the same. Your home bank behind the scenes may take a little or a lot of a cut of your funds out of the standard international exchange rate that VISA or MC are providing for the ATM transaction. It's your home bank that can make a BIG difference on what exchange rate you get here via ATM withdrawals because of the cut or fees they tack on, often invisibly to you...

For instance, for U.s. folks, people using Schwab, ETrade and Capital One debit cards get much better exchange rates on ATM transactions here than other banks cards, because those banks take little or no cut. I can't speak for other contries, but the Nationwide Cash card seems to be a popular choice among Brits... Maybe others can chime in here..

Just to be clear, sometimes your home bank charges an explicit flat fee or percentage fee for foreign transactions. But sometimes also, your home bank appears to have no visible fee, but ends up giving you a lot less of an exchange rate than you might get with others ATM cards/banks. So it pays to compare and read people's experiences here.

Thanks for going to the trouble of providing me with a good insight..... Nationwide seems I am with the right Bank. They do tend to operate within a very small margin of the Exchange which is good.

Thanks Again for the explanation

Went to use a Bank of Ayudhya ATM in the town of Nong Phai (Petchabun province) on Thursday 28 May and on screen message you will be charged 150 Baht for this transaction.

Previous week no charge.

I think they were just slow implicating the charge and I got away with it for a few weeks.

Up here it looks like a 150 Baht charge on all ATMS.

There is a GSB in Wichien Buri but will not let you use foreign cards!.

Went to use a Bank of Ayudhya ATM in the town of Nong Phai (Petchabun province) on Thursday 28 May and on screen message you will be charged 150 Baht for this transaction.

Previous week no charge.

I think they were just slow implicating the charge and I got away with it for a few weeks.

They all say that on the first screen. If you continue with the transaction, you will find there is no fee - for now.

I doubt you are correct about that... we have had many reports from TV users, all with the same experience...

GSB ATMs accept all VISA-logo cards, but won't accept MasterCard logo or other network cards.

Still looking for answers on two pending questions....

1. For U.S. folks, anyone using a different bank card that's yielding similar exchange rates to the Schwab, Etrade or Capital One Visas??? Those being, rates much better than buying TT, and close to Interbank Exchange Rate..

2. For those who are using the go to bank counter and use your card for over-the-counter withdrawals to avoid the 150 baht ATM fee, what bank are you using, what kind of exchange rate are you getting, and any fees involved???

Pattaya Central Festival GSB ATM is located on 4th floor (Bank floor) left side facing Beach Road; not ON Main floor but follow ATM sign to bathrooms and you will find it

Government Savings Bank (GSB) at Asoke BTS Station

30/May/2009

Capital One MM Visa ATM

NO FEE

Time > 11:53 Xrate 34.305317

Time > 11:52 Xrate 34.304822

Limit on amount of money to pull so did two back to back withdrawals

Previous week no charge.

One of the remaining loose ends of this thread is the status of BAAC (with 700 branches, many in Isaan). We know the bank's ATMs don't take Cirrus but there is no definite confirmation regarding Visa. I've been told 'no' by an in-law, but do not have confirmation from anybody on the board.

Edited by citizen33

I can't do the search for the whole country, but I did use the BAAC website to do a search for their locations in Bangkok.... Not as many as in other parts of the country, I suspect, but still a few.

Here's the list I could gather, using some help from the GF and the Google Thai to English translate service, not perfect, but at least close...

BAAC

Chatuchak, Bangkok City Branch, near Soi Ari

109 County Road Ladyaw Kamphaeng Phet Road, Chatuchak, Bangkok 10900

Tel (02) 2713341, 2713342, 2799831, 2799832 Fax (02) 2714699.

Phasi Charoen Branch

202/20-21 Petchkasem Road, Pak Khlong ภาษีเจริญ zone ภาษีเจริญ Road, Bangkok 10160

Tel (02) 4572639, 4578390 Fax (02) 4571939.

Minburi Province Branch

40-40/2 Moo 13 road race, Minburi District, Minburi Road Bangkok 10510

Tel (02) 5171229, 5180319, 9186645 Fax (02) 5175767.

65/22-23 Soi Eakchai, Eakchai Road 86 County Road, Bon Bang, Khun Thian Bangkok 10150

Tel (02) 8942667, 8942668 Fax (02) 8942669.

Ladkrabang Branch

252 / 7 Moo 1 avenue - Ladkrabang district, Bangkok 10520

Tel (02) 7381065, 7381066 Fax (02) 7381067.

469 Nakhon Sawan Road, Garden Road, Dusit, Bangkok 10300

Tel (02) 2808635, 2800180 Fax (02) 2808636, 2808637, 2808638.

Government Center Branch (Building :)

120 m 3 Government Center Building B honor Room No. 1 class 1 BM-1-003-004 County Road Changwattana Road Tuegsaghgag Laksi, Bangkok 10210 Tel (02) 1439535, 1439536,1439537,1439538 Fax: (02) 1439539.

Government Savings Bank (GSB) at Asoke BTS Station

30/May/2009

Capital One MM Visa ATM

NO FEE

Time > 11:53 Xrate 34.305317

Time > 11:52 Xrate 34.304822

Limit on amount of money to pull so did two back to back withdrawals

What is the limit per withdrawal at GSB ATM's?

Anyone know if their is a GSB ATM at Suvarnabhumi airport/Arrivals?

So far as the ASOKE GSB ATM and in my case I first tried 16,900 and it kept on suggesting a lower amount until I hit 11,900.

I should note I think the machine might of been out of 500 bt notes for I got 11 1,000bt notes and 9 100bt notes.

"What is the limit per withdrawal at GSB ATM's?"

GSB ATMs have been reported at both 20,000 and 30,000 Baht limits --

Apparently it depends on the individual ATM.

"I first tried 16,900 and it kept on suggesting a lower amount . . . I should note I think the machine might of been out of 500 bt notes"

Awhile back, in one of these many related threads, someone claiming knowledge about the deep dark mysterious inner-workings of ATM technology-- mentioned that there are 20 and 30 "piece of paper" ATM machines. Some are capable of dispensing a max of 20 bills ( pieces of paper ) and others have a 30 bill limit.

If that's true and the ATM you battled with was out of one or more denominations of Baht (100, 500, 1000), that could explain why it did whatever it thought it could to meet your demand. ( just guessing :) )

Edited by SurfTrader

I'm in Nong Khai. I went to gsb in town yesterday and kept getting 'connection error', so I walked up to Tesco Lotus and tried the gsb one there, same message.

The Aeon office was just near with two atms. I went there and there were two big black atms, the kind that pay in and out, and a member of staff there. He said it 'is not a bank' and directed me to the atms. I stood my ground but he was insistent that I must use the nearby bank atms.

So today I went to gsb and still the same 'communication error' so I walked back to Tesco Lotus, with the attitude of 'I'm going to at least try, no matter what he says'.

So I went and there was a woman there this time, the guy was sitting down. I stood in line and was ignored. I was a bit intimidated as there are no visa symbols on them or any indication it would take my Nationwide Visa Card.

But I stuck it in anyway, and got 4000 baht free, no fee at all. Don't know the rate as it's not showing on my online statement yet. When I walked away I glanced at the guy and he was kind of scowling at me.

Above the atm, there was the same statement as on their website, that some people have complained of the 150 baht fee and so these ones are free. It made me laugh walking home. It means some Thai customers of Aeon got a taste of dual-pricing intended for farangs and didn't like it. They must have complained en masse as it takes a lot to get a Thai company off their a** and respond in a customer service type way.

Anyway, when using atm's at Aeon, the points to remember are:

1- At least in Nong Khai, they're not 'hole in the walls' but 'stand-alone' machines actually inside the Aeon office.

2 - They don't look like normal atm's. They're great big black scary intimidating things with numerous slots and only Thai writing on them.

3 - They don't have any visa stickers or anything on, or nothing to indicate what they are.

4 - The staff there aren't used to dealing with Farangs, and might direct you away to another atm, for whatever reason.

5 - Hold your nerve. Stick your card in no matter what, get the free cash and run.

---

Of course, it's only being a TVforum reader that I even know to try this. If I didn't come here, I'd probably be five or six hundred down before I realised what I could do. As it is, I haven't payed a single charge.

"Diety of your choice" bless Thaivisa.

LifeMagic, glad to hear you persevered, and got your funds from AEON, with no fee...

I think the details of their set-up will vary by location. As I reported and showed earlier in this thread, their ATM at FortuneTown in Bangkok was a pretty normal looking gray color machine, stand-alone inside a Tesco-Lotus there. And it was emblazoned on the front with the stickers of the half dozen or so card networks that the machine would accept, including VISA, MC and others.

I think in general, AEON has two kinds of set-ups: 1) staffed branches/offices in malls where people can go to make their credit card payments and such (or pull cash), and 2) stand alone ATM machines like the one I used. Of course, if you use the standalone ATM, there's no one there to give you the eye.

But I did like your point about the 150 baht notice on their ATMs. Indeed, I believe you are right. Because AEON cards are not part of the Thai ATM Pool, the Thai folks who hold/use those cards are indeed being treated like foreigners under the other Thai banks' new 150 baht fee for withdrawals policy. You just gotta smile about that, and hope some Thai people out there are giving s--t to their local Thai banks over the whole exercise. The Thai banks deserve it. :)

"It means some Thai customers of Aeon got a taste of dual-pricing intended for farangs and didn't like it."

Hmmmm.... Very Interesting! -- Sounds like AEON has been dragged, kicking and screaming, into a world where they're stuck offering no usury fees to anyone who happens to find one of their ATMs -- obviously, this is against their wishes.

If that's the case, I would expect them to find a way to go to the "dark side" soon.

"But I stuck it in anyway, and got 4000 baht free" -- Somehow, in a country that thrives on the sex industry, I would have expected to read "But I stuck it in anyway, and it cost me 4000" -- ( sorry, couldn't resist :) )

I'm in Nong Khai. I went to gsb in town yesterday and kept getting 'connection error',

I had this once but was successful a couple of days later. A friend is currentlu getting this message and has done so for 3 days.

Anyone know the reason for the "connection error" message ?

LifeMagic, glad to hear you persevered, and got your funds from AEON, with no fee...

I think the details of their set-up will vary by location. As I reported and showed earlier in this thread, their ATM at FortuneTown in Bangkok was a pretty normal looking gray color machine, stand-alone inside a Tesco-Lotus there. And it was emblazoned on the front with the stickers of the half dozen or so card networks that the machine would accept, including VISA, MC and others.

I think in general, AEON has two kinds of set-ups: 1) staffed branches/offices in malls where people can go to make their credit card payments and such (or pull cash), and 2) stand alone ATM machines like the one I used. Of course, if you use the standalone ATM, there's no one there to give you the eye.

But I did like your point about the 150 baht notice on their ATMs. Indeed, I believe you are right. Because AEON cards are not part of the Thai ATM Pool, the Thai folks who hold/use those cards are indeed being treated like foreigners under the other Thai banks' new 150 baht fee for withdrawals policy. You just gotta smile about that, and hope some Thai people out there are giving s--t to their local Thai banks over the whole exercise. The Thai banks deserve it. :)

But I did like your point about the 150 baht notice on their ATMs. Indeed, I believe you are right. Because AEON cards are not part of the Thai ATM Pool, the Thai folks who hold/use those cards are indeed being treated like foreigners under the other Thai banks' new 150 baht fee for withdrawals policy. You just gotta smile about that, and hope some Thai people out there are giving s--t to their local Thai banks over the whole exercise. The Thai banks deserve it. :D

the aeon machines in Pattaya are in English or Thai just like all other machine ,as are the ones in Robinsons in Sri Racha they only allow you to take out 7000 baht as shown on the screen ,but i did it twice yesterday ,no not that :) and got 7k both times. 14k no charge.

Edited by thaimate

My daily limit is $500usd And I did two pulls with the 1st one limiting to how much. As someone pointed out I figured it was due to the fact the ATM had no 500bt notes.

1st pull in USD was $346.89

2nd pull in USD was $145.75

That's roughly $350 U.S. Any chance that's the daily withdrawal limit set by your home bank?? That's a pretty common amount, for such limits.
Edited by jgm005

I'm in Nong Khai. I went to gsb in town yesterday and kept getting 'connection error', so I walked up to Tesco Lotus and tried the gsb one there, same message.

The Aeon office was just near with two atms. I went there and there were two big black atms, the kind that pay in and out, and a member of staff there. He said it 'is not a bank' and directed me to the atms. I stood my ground but he was insistent that I must use the nearby bank atms.

So today I went to gsb and still the same 'communication error' so I walked back to Tesco Lotus, with the attitude of 'I'm going to at least try, no matter what he says'.

So I went and there was a woman there this time, the guy was sitting down. I stood in line and was ignored. I was a bit intimidated as there are no visa symbols on them or any indication it would take my Nationwide Visa Card.

But I stuck it in anyway, and got 4000 baht free, no fee at all. Don't know the rate as it's not showing on my online statement yet. When I walked away I glanced at the guy and he was kind of scowling at me.

Above the atm, there was the same statement as on their website, that some people have complained of the 150 baht fee and so these ones are free. It made me laugh walking home. It means some Thai customers of Aeon got a taste of dual-pricing intended for farangs and didn't like it. They must have complained en masse as it takes a lot to get a Thai company off their a** and respond in a customer service type way.

Anyway, when using atm's at Aeon, the points to remember are:

1- At least in Nong Khai, they're not 'hole in the walls' but 'stand-alone' machines actually inside the Aeon office.

2 - They don't look like normal atm's. They're great big black scary intimidating things with numerous slots and only Thai writing on them.

3 - They don't have any visa stickers or anything on, or nothing to indicate what they are.

4 - The staff there aren't used to dealing with Farangs, and might direct you away to another atm, for whatever reason.

5 - Hold your nerve. Stick your card in no matter what, get the free cash and run.

---

Of course, it's only being a TVforum reader that I even know to try this. If I didn't come here, I'd probably be five or six hundred down before I realised what I could do. As it is, I haven't payed a single charge.

"Diety of your choice" bless Thaivisa.

Lifemagic, some good points in your post. My take on AEON branches is that they're simply not used to seeing a farang in the place - after all, farang always go to use those other banks' ATMs don't they? I mentioned previously that, with its hire purchase/easy credit orientation, AEON seems to be aimed at "ordinary folk"; I meant and should have said "ordinary Thai folk". If that's the case, the staff in a branch are a] going to notice a farang going to their ATM and b] likely to wonder why - and (maybe) whether there's something fishy going on. The guy directing you to the other banks' ATMs fits in with some/all of this scenario - particularly if you looked (no offence meant) a bit uncertain/nervous while you were lining up to use the AEON machine. Really, he could just have been trying to be helpful as he saw it.

I suspect it can't take long for AEON to cotton on to the fact that their machines have suddenly become popular with farang - and not much longer for them to realise why. I can also imagine that they may have mixed feelings about it - with farang typically extracting more per transaction than many Thai (how many times have we seen a Thai in front of us at any ATM withdrawing just a few hundred or couple of thousand - when we routinely take the maximum available?). If nothing else, it probably means that AEON will have to re-fill the machine more often than before..........

Judging by the notice to AEON cardholders on their website (and some, if not all, AEON ATM screens) - they do expect their customers to use other banks' ATMs; logically, it follows that AEON also expect other banks' cardholders to use AEON machines - and we know that that works (at least for the main networks previously mentioned - VISA, MC, Maestro/Cirrus, Plus etc).

I must admit that both times when I have used an (in-branch) AEON ATM, I consciously chose a time when I could go straight to the machine and do it without waiting. On the second occasion (when I used two cards), it certainly went through my mind that this might be attracting attention (suspicion?) as "unusual" behaviour. I avoided eye-contact with any of the staff (including the one usually standing in the open area) and did my best to look as "normal/innocent/casual" as I could........ :) . Strange feeling - but I got my cash. As I described previously, the AEON ATM I used includes a full English-language option (as does their website) - so I assume that they must expect non-Thai people to use their machines.

I don't quite follow Surftrader's "dragged kicking and screaming" logic, but I can imagine that AEON are likely to be considering their position and that things might somehow change. Against which, I assume (but stand to be corrected) that AEON make something out of the transaction when a "foreign" bank's card is used; if that's the case, maybe they're happy with things as they are?

Government Savings Bank updates...

1. The GSB ATM at Asoke BTS is on the second level as you're going out of the BTS station area and down the escalator to the street level entrance to the Sukhumvit MRT station there. Sort of on the bridge area between the BTS station and the down escalator to street level MRT entrance. It's just a bright pink ATM, and is attached/next to a small currency exchange booth belonging to another bank, Thanachart, I think.

2. Was out and around today, and noticed other GSB locations as follows:

--ATM on the 3rd floor of Mochit Bus Station (indoors on the north and northeast departures level)

--ATM on the 1st floor of Mochit Bus Station (outside near the curb area just before you go inside)

--what looked to be a counter or small branch inside the nearby JJ Mall shopping Center (near Mochit BTS)

While seeing off some inlaws at Mochit Bus Station today, I happened to notice that the bus station there has, pretty much, every banking office and ATM known to Thai people.

So while I was noodling around, I noticed ATMs both for the BAAC (Bank of Agriculture and Commerce) and the Islamic Bank. Tried a U.S. MasterCard logo debit card and a U.S. Visa logo debit card in the ATMs belonging to both banks, and got "communication error" on all four tries.

I checked out the ATM machines there of both banks pretty carefully, and didn't see any stickers or signage on either of them indicating they accept VISA or MC logo cards. So while that doesn't amount to a definitive NO, it's not looking good. Maybe others can confirm that result when you happen across an ATM of either bank.

Fortunately, as mentioned above, Mochit is well stocked with Government Savings Bank ATMs.

Concerning Aeon 'going to the dark side'...

They're suddenly going to see they're making this extra forex money. They didn't make it before because, what farang would use their atm's, now we seek them out.

Possibly there will be some kind of suggestion from the bankers association that they add the 150 fee, but if they did that, they lose the new business. If all atm's charge 150, who's going to seek out an Aeon atm to lose 150 there rather than any other atm?

Perhaps the current situation is the equilibrium we all reach now? All the expats, long-termers and clued in backpackers go to Aeon and a few other obscure places. All the other banks get 150 each time from non-clued in backpackers, airport stopovers, two-week middle-classers. They'll still be making more than before and will tolerate Aeon taking it's crumbs.

The way things are going, 150 baht won't even be worth anything soon! They'll have a little hole by the dispensing slot so you can put your finger in and give some blood too.