Tired Man.... Just So Tired

Luang

Used to be as the day went on, now its when i get up. I'm just about getting through the day now with major fatigue setting in when i get home! Had blood sugar tested recently, hormone and thyroid not too long ago. all normal!...anyone any ideas? Had liver function too but not biopsy yet and palms are real red! Saying that, many people just seem to have red palms. Jeez i'm just about all researched and tested out and still don't have a clue?

Any ideas folks?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know your age but I am 60 and sometimes feel like that. Eating an apple charges me up. Also as you get older it is harder to absorb Vitamin B12 so buy the liquid kind that you can take under you tongue to get directly into the bloodstream in addition to your regular vitamins. Also be sure you are getting enough but not too much of Vit. D-3. If the simple stuff doesn't work and you might want to consider internal parasites and start eating a lot of pineapple and papaya. If you haven't had blood tests yet, I would get the normal full battery as your post seems to indicate only specific tests. You gotta keep going to the doctor or another doctor until you figure it out.

Used to be as the day went on, now its when i get up. I'm just about getting through the day now with major fatigue setting in when i get home! Had blood sugar tested recently, hormone and thyroid not too long ago. all normal!...anyone any ideas? Had liver function too but not biopsy yet and palms are real red! Saying that, many people just seem to have red palms. Jeez i'm just about all researched and tested out and still don't have a clue?

Any ideas folks?

:o

I'm not a doctor or anything....but my question is this: How much are you sweating? Does it seem to you that you are sweating more now with the hot weather (I'm assuming you're in Thailand)?

If you are sweating a lot, you may be losing salt (Sodium) through your sweat.

A simple test is to get a cup of warm water. Dissolve a spoonful of table salt in it. Drink it down.

Does it taste really good to you? Do you start to feel better when the salt gets into your blood (say 30 minutes or so after you drink the water)?

If it does you may have a Sodium deficency. Your cells use Sodium from your blood to regulate their use of food and without Sodium you can feel very tired...because your cells are not converting food to energy properly.

There are Salt tablets you can take. But it is just as easy to drink two or three glasses of water with salt dissolved in it.

Usuallly 1 Salt tablet in the morning will be enough to perk you up if that is what you need.

Or alternatively, a couple glasses of warm water with a teaspoon of Salt dissolved in it.

The first time I came to Thailand, this happened to me. Two or 3 days of daily Salt tablets fixed me up.

:D

Thanks guys,

Not sweating more than i was that's for sure, so i think we can rule that one out. Maybe i should mention that in the morning i have a craving for chocolate? But done the obvious and checked and it was normal! STD .....well maybe not the best place to discuss na.

You say you had your thyroid checked "a while ago"and also your blood sugar but what I am not clear on is whether you had a comprehensive physical check-up related to these symptoms or not.

If not, you should. There are many, many possible reasons for what you are experiencing.

Be sure to have a complete blood count and a full "thyroid panel"(TSH, free T3/T4) as well as any other tests the doctor recommends (speak to doc first and describe your symptoms).

Are you on any medications?

And -- excuse the obvious -- are you sleeping well?

Sheryl, no haven't had full check/tests. Not on medication and sleeping ok.

Coventry, i had normal testosterone levels 8 mths ago.

I did fail to mention that i have moderately high cholesterol- though would be surprised to find that causing such bouts of fatigue....but maybe?

Stopped smoking, drinking less and swimming everyday! Oh well, more tests i guess. Thyroid and blood sugar (though was normal 2yrs ago) next.

Thanks all again and any more suggestions welcomed-pricey business all this testing.

I did fail to mention that i have moderately high cholesterol- though would be surprised to find that causing such bouts of fatigue....but maybe?

Stopped smoking, drinking less and swimming everyday! Oh well, more tests i guess. Thyroid and blood sugar (though was normal 2yrs ago) next.

Thanks all again and any more suggestions welcomed-pricey business all this testing.

If you have not had a complete blood count that is certainly the first priority.

It may be more cost effective to get a check-up package, adding on the thyroid panel.

My favorite for this is Samitivej Wellness Center, request either Dr. Phuchai/Peechai (forget which!) or Dr. Anchana, both are very thorough.

If it is an outdoor pool and you are swimming in the hot season, you won't notice fluid losses. Been there, done that.

Hope you havent contracted it as no cure but you show classic symptoms of Fibromylgia same as myself.

Google it.You'll get negative after negative test prior to the diagnosis.

Chivas

Edited by Chivas

Fibromyalgia by definition involves pain which he does not mention.

While chronic fatigue syndrome is a possibility need to first exclude other causes.

Blood count essential to rule out anemia, leukemia etc. Will also indicate if there may be an inefction.

While chronic fatigue syndrome is a possibility need to first exclude other causes.

Blood count essential to rule out anemia, leukemia etc. Will also indicate if there may be an inefction.

Sorry to be so late in adding this - but has the OP been tested for clinical depression? I certainly recognize some signs and symptoms. If he's having ups and downs, even bipolar is a possibility; and people with bipolar are significantly over-represented with CFS and FMS.

Don't want this at the top of the OP's list, but if everything else physical comes back negative, this may be an avenue to pursue.

• 2 months later...

Sorry to be so late in adding this - but has the OP been tested for clinical depression? I certainly recognize some signs and symptoms. If he's having ups and downs, even bipolar is a possibility; and people with bipolar are significantly over-represented with CFS and FMS.

Don't want this at the top of the OP's list, but if everything else physical comes back negative, this may be an avenue to pursue.

Just to update: full blood count was normal. TSH 3.6 (0.2-4.7) so within this hospitals lab limits but outside new recommended ranges

I believe the new range is up to 3 right? Have also read that anything over 2.5 should be considered highly suspicious. Anyone with any experience of this?

Sheila, i have read your recommendation of an endocrinologist at Bummrungrad and maybe this should be my next move. Do you know what their lab ranges are?

Thanks.

Thanks guys,

Not sweating more than i was that's for sure, so i think we can rule that one out. Maybe i should mention that in the morning i have a craving for chocolate? But done the obvious and checked and it was normal! STD .....well maybe not the best place to discuss na.

It's your sugar level for sure. I have the symptons that you describe sometimes. Try to get grape sugar tablets. :)

Yes I was thinking this too,

A long time ago I was diagnosed with low level clinical depression and it lasted for over 2 years!

One of the symptoms I had during this time was chronic fatigue, all I wanted to do was sleep all the time!

My therapist called it "doona therapy".

Are you feeling a bit low or flat lately?

Just to update: full blood count was normal. TSH 3.6 (0.2-4.7) so within this hospitals lab limits but outside new recommended ranges

I believe the new range is up to 3 right? Have also read that anything over 2.5 should be considered highly suspicious. Anyone with any experience of this?

Sheila, i have read your recommendation of an endocrinologist at Bummrungrad and maybe this should be my next move. Do you know what their lab ranges are?

Thanks.

Not offhand, but in any case the issue is somewhat academic. You have clinical sigs of hypothroidism and a TSH towards the high end of the scale.

I take it they did only a TSH abd not a T3/T4? Should really do the full panel.

Check you temp. before getting out of bed each morning with an old fashioned shake down thermometer if your temp is consistly below 97.6 for a week you have a thyroid problem. Record and graft the readings and see what you come up with. Drs. have a range on the thyroid test and you could be low normal and as far as they are concerned they think you are ok when you are not.

If the thyroid is low you have a problem and you could have a receptor site problem which is a problem as well. Also cortisol could be low as well some of the same symptoms as thyroid.

Has your life been one of constant stress this can burn out your adrenals and cause low cortisol. Also going thru a stressful situation can cause the body to go into a feast or famine mode and to survie it can slow things down like the thyroid maybe thet is why you were ok 2 years ago and now have problems.

Good luck

Just read this thread and first thing I thought was maybe lack of sleep and depression. When happened to me in my forties my doctor prescribed sleeping pills for a couple of weeks as he thought lack of quality sleep, and to get out and excercise, I went back to running and within a few months was full of energy. Lack of good sleep and exercise are serious problems for everybody

I thought I would mention diet and environment as I cannot see anyone has touched on it.

If you are big meat eater, maybe take a few days off and clean out using vegetables and vegetable juices.

You really are what you eat. You can clean your system in a matter of days and reverse many major health problems in a matter of weeks.

Also if you live in Bangkok or a polluted city and you are not working out / sweating / having a sauna occasionally, major poisons build up in your system and cannot be released... It is my belief that many illnesses like fatigue and aggression stem from toxic buildup. The thousands of chemicals your body takes in daily in these times has huge affects on the major organs.

I have spoke to many people around the 40 age group that experience fatigue for the first time at that age... All that meat, alcohol, cigarettes (passive smokers included), mercury, cadmium, lead etc has built up over the years and the toxins need to be released.

Fatigue is also a "side effect" of losing weight as your body loses fat and the toxins that were stored in that fat are released into the blood stream. They now have to find a new home or be expelled from the body.

Many people underestimate the power of a good diet and regular saunas or fitness. It really is the corner stone to health.

Before using a Dr or drugs, try and do it naturally. A drug does not cure anything, it is a band aid approach and 99% of the time (IMO) is a waste of money and does more damage down the line.

Illness is mainly due to environmental factors, diet, and living habits, change these and get well.

"Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food," Hippocrates, "The Father of Medicine"

My suggestion would be, take a sauna everyday for 1 week, eating nothing but vegetables and exercise daily.. You will be surprised how much better you will feel.

PM me if you need help or advice, I would be glad to help.

Good Luck.

full blood count was normal. TSH 3.6 (0.2-4.7) so within this hospitals lab limits but outside new recommended ranges

Thanks.

The normal range for TSH, updated by the AACE (American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists), is roughly 0.3 to 3.0.

So yours is elevated, indicative of hypothyroidism, which would readily account for your symptoms.

Suggest you consult either of these doctors at Bumrungrad:

Dr. Rosanee Valyasevi

Qualifications: Medical School:

- M.D., Faculty of Medicine (First Class Honors), Siriraj Hospital, Mahidol University, Thailand, 1988

Board Certifications:

- Diploma of The Thai Board of Internal Medicine, 1992

- Diplomate of The American Board of Internal Medicine, 2003

- Diplomate of The American Board of Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism,2004

Fellowships:

- Endocrinology, Howard University Hospital, USA, 1995

- Endocrinology, Mayo Clinic, USA, 2000

Special Clinical Interests:

- Thyroid Diseases, Parathyroid and Calcium disorders

Day Time Location

Tue 09:00 - 15:00 NS 16A (Endocrine/Neuro)

Wed 09:00 - 15:00 NS 16A (Endocrine/Neuro)

Thu 09:00 - 15:00 NS 16A (Endocrine/Neuro)

Fri 09:00 - 15:00 NS 16A (Endocrine/Neuro)

Sun 09:00 - 15:00 NS 16A (Endocrine/Neuro)

Dr. Jun Srimanunthiphol

Qualifications: Medical School:

- M.D., Faculty of Medicine, Chulalongkorn University, Thailand, 1994

Board Certifications:

- Diplomate of The American Board of Internal Medicine, 2000

- Diploma of The Thai Board of Internal Medicine, 2003

- Diploma of The Thai Subboard of Endocrinology and Metabolism, 2006

Fellowships:

- Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism, George Washington University, USA, 2002

Special Clinical Trainings:

- Thyroid Ultrasound and Osteoporosis

Special Clinical Interests:

- Thyroid Diseases, Diabetes, Osteoporosis and Calcium Disorder, General Endocrinology

Day Time Location

Mon 09:00 - 12:00 NS 16A (Endocrine/Neuro)

Mon 13:00 - 16:30 NS 16A (Endocrine/Neuro)

Tue 09:00 - 12:00 NS 16A (Endocrine/Neuro)

Tue 13:00 - 16:30 NS 16A (Endocrine/Neuro)

Wed 09:00 - 12:00 NS 16A (Endocrine/Neuro)

Wed 13:00 - 16:30 NS 16A (Endocrine/Neuro)

Thu 13:00 - 17:00 NS 16A (Endocrine/Neuro)

Thu 18:00 - 20:00 NS 16A (Endocrine/Neuro)

Sun 09:00 - 12:00 NS 16A (Endocrine/Neuro)

Sun 12:30 - 16:00 NS 16A (Endocrine/Neuro)

Thanks all again for your suggestions/recommendations. I have a feeling my current 'sweet foods' craving is a significant symptom too as i have never had this before. Sheryl, my apologies re. the name slip. I will probably take up your suggestion and contact Bummrungrad. Regarding the fatigue, when i get home from work i am flat out on the sofa for a good few hours and can barely move. Really feels like i've been drugged! Very strange.

Get a fasting blood sugar if you haven't had one recently to rule out diabetes.

And resist that craving for sweets -- take instead something high in protein, will give more relief in the long run.

If you cave to processed sugar you'll get a spike in blood sugar but then it will plummet down again quickly leaving you worse off than before.