Does Thailand Want Us Here?

thaimate

Weeeeeeeeee, another thread about us and them.

When you use the term "us", please don't assume that we are all the same. If your "us" includes people of marginal income, lacking needed job skills or not possessing an ability to truly contribute to the well being and economic growth of Thailand, then yes, your assessment is correct. Horrible isn't it that

So let's look at your complaints shall we?

draconian visa regulations

Thailand has the same position as other countries like Australia, Canada, the USA and the EU. When was the last time you saw Australia set up a recruiting booth in Africa, India or even Europe and ask uneducated people that would contribute nothing of great value to the society or economy to move to Australia? You do realize that the UK, USA etc. all impose financial requirements in order to obtain investment or retirement visas right? Do you know how difficult it is for a Thai to get a tourist visa to a western country?

things like double pricing,

We already have a thread going on that but I know from my own experience in other countries that I often paid more for local services. Need some examples? Take boring Canada;

- University tuition for "foreign" students is in the tens of thousands while students resident in the province pay only a few thousand.

- Medical care is "free" to residents that may pay for some services such as non hospital based tests. Foreigners pay rates and costs that would preclude most Thais from obtaining medical care. For example, the charge to a non resident for a doctor visit can be $100-$250 depending upon the province. This is significantly higher than the $20-$40. a foreigner is charged in Thailand.

- Entrance to SixFlags amusement park in Montreal: Non residents pay approx. 2X the cost of residents.

150 baht charge to take your money out of an a.t.m.

What's your point? Western banks do the same thing. When use a bank that isn't my branch in the west, I pay an atm access fee + my bank's added fee. This can amount to 150B as well. I just noticed that my west issued Mastercard has been adding 200b fees to my card for purchases I made on the internet in the west.

,not being able to own land ,

Did you know that in Prince Edward Island, Canada non residents are not allowed to purchase land? The locals passed the law because they were worried about all sorts of rich foreigners coming in and buying up the province. It has withstood all sorts of court challenges because the law was intended to protect the local culture. Just like in PEI, if there would be a free for all in Thailand that would occur if foreigners were allowed to own land. Large chunks of agricultural land would be drawn out of the economy. Nevermind that, but alot of folks whining about not being able to buy land might then be whining about Indians, Chinese and Arabs forcing up land prices beyond the reach of western retirees because they were on buying sprees.

For those of "us" that are responsible citizens and have either the financial wherewithall or important job skills or that can help the economy, the welcome is there. If someone just wants to sit around drinking beer and copulating with impoverished sex workers in Pattaya and that would be considered trash in his or her own country, no the welcome isn't there.

Personally I agree with many you state above but being around her for almost 3 decades I realize growing hostility towards "aliens". And to be frank, this started in that moment the very red man came to power...

I don't know about it starting then (Jan 2001), but he certainly crystallized the idea in countless millions of ordinary Thais heads that farang aliens were to be welcomed with a smile and then systematically divested of their earnings, savings and eventually shirt, while all the while insisting that Thailand was heaven on earth. This philosophy reached its zenith in the Elite Card scheme. At the same time, the same square headed gentleman increased the level of xenophobic nationalism to a new level, whipped up in many a TRT political rally, the worst of which was the neo-nazi type rally that they held in Muang Thong Thani in 2006 preceding that same person's fall from grace and power the same year. He shipped down the party faithful from Kalasin and Roi-Et, and did a practice rendition of his April 12 speech to the Red masses, all get into line for your 500 baht if you sell your soul to me, you'll be rich soon and destroy the opposition, arm-flailing rhetoric. :o

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's obvious to most ex-pats living in Thailand and those who visit the country regularly that the Thai government are getting more greedy, opportunistic and scheming. Look at the outrageous visa fees and the cost of getting a few days extension and the prohibitive fines if you overstay a short time. Speak to any ex-pat teacher and see how disillusioned they are. The Thais seem to forget it is we farangs who dragged them out of their poverty stricken agrarian backwater with our money spent there over the decades. Now they are 'sitting pretty' they just exploit us. Time will tell when farangs put their two fingers up and go to Laos, Cambodia or Vietnam instead.

Arrangment of my wife and step-daughter's British passports involve a fee of £1,200. Swings and roundabouts old chap. two sides to every story.

It's obvious to most ex-pats living in Thailand and those who visit the country regularly that the Thai government are getting more greedy, opportunistic and scheming. Look at the outrageous visa fees and the cost of getting a few days extension and the prohibitive fines if you overstay a short time. Speak to any ex-pat teacher and see how disillusioned they are. The Thais seem to forget it is we farangs who dragged them out of their poverty stricken agrarian backwater with our money spent there over the decades. Now they are 'sitting pretty' they just exploit us. Time will tell when farangs put their two fingers up and go to Laos, Cambodia or Vietnam instead.

Honestly, for people with as arrogant and ignorant attitudes like yours, they can't wait for you to go. What's keeping you neo-sahib? :o

Honestly, for people with as arrogant and ignorant attitudes like yours, they can't wait for you to go. What's keeping you neo-sahib? :D

seconded! :o

Arrangment of my wife and step-daughter's British passports involve a fee of £1,200. Swings and roundabouts old chap. two sides to every story.

that seems very reasonable. in Germany no fixed fee, you pay one month gross income.

Right - you don't hear the farangs who are successful whinging all the time. There are channels to a successful life for a foreigner in Thailand, but they require the right skills, hard work and good decisions...

none of that is required if you have money :o

Weeeeeeeeee, another thread about us and them.

When you use the term "us", please don't assume that we are all the same. If your "us" includes people of marginal income, lacking needed job skills or not possessing an ability to truly contribute to the well being and economic growth of Thailand, then yes, your assessment is correct. Horrible isn't it that

So let's look at your complaints shall we?

draconian visa regulations

Thailand has the same position as other countries like Australia, Canada, the USA and the EU. When was the last time you saw Australia set up a recruiting booth in Africa, India or even Europe and ask uneducated people that would contribute nothing of great value to the society or economy to move to Australia? You do realize that the UK, USA etc. all impose financial requirements in order to obtain investment or retirement visas right? Do you know how difficult it is for a Thai to get a tourist visa to a western country?

things like double pricing,

We already have a thread going on that but I know from my own experience in other countries that I often paid more for local services. Need some examples? Take boring Canada;

- University tuition for "foreign" students is in the tens of thousands while students resident in the province pay only a few thousand.

- Medical care is "free" to residents that may pay for some services such as non hospital based tests. Foreigners pay rates and costs that would preclude most Thais from obtaining medical care. For example, the charge to a non resident for a doctor visit can be $100-$250 depending upon the province. This is significantly higher than the $20-$40. a foreigner is charged in Thailand.

- Entrance to SixFlags amusement park in Montreal: Non residents pay approx. 2X the cost of residents.

150 baht charge to take your money out of an a.t.m.

What's your point? Western banks do the same thing. When use a bank that isn't my branch in the west, I pay an atm access fee + my bank's added fee. This can amount to 150B as well. I just noticed that my west issued Mastercard has been adding 200b fees to my card for purchases I made on the internet in the west.

,not being able to own land ,

Did you know that in Prince Edward Island, Canada non residents are not allowed to purchase land? The locals passed the law because they were worried about all sorts of rich foreigners coming in and buying up the province. It has withstood all sorts of court challenges because the law was intended to protect the local culture. Just like in PEI, if there would be a free for all in Thailand that would occur if foreigners were allowed to own land. Large chunks of agricultural land would be drawn out of the economy. Nevermind that, but alot of folks whining about not being able to buy land might then be whining about Indians, Chinese and Arabs forcing up land prices beyond the reach of western retirees because they were on buying sprees.

For those of "us" that are responsible citizens and have either the financial wherewithall or important job skills or that can help the economy, the welcome is there. If someone just wants to sit around drinking beer and copulating with impoverished sex workers in Pattaya and that would be considered trash in his or her own country, no the welcome isn't there.

You are so right. Most of the farangs you refer to probably have never lived anywhere else. So they have no idea of conditions elsewhere. Nearly all countries tax foreigners who stay more than 180 days a year in their countries. In thailand they don't pay tax and I don't think Thailand wants the sort farangs who complain about a Bt150 bank charge which is about the price of a coffee in thier own country, and far less than most countries. And if they can't afford the park fees tney don't have to go. I live here and pay no tax and I feel bad about it sometimes so I am happy to contribute by way of any fees the government imposes upon me. I almost feel embarrased when I visit a doctor here and get his bill for his services which would cost ten times more in my own country.

I realise my country (Australia) makes it harder for Thais to enter than Thailand does for me to enter it.

However I did find the endless visa runs a bore after 4 years in Thailand, & decided to jump ship to Cambodia, where you just pay someone off & get a year's multiple re-entry work visa without having to fill out a form. No need to ever leave the country either: renewals are all done here.

Again, not if you want to move permanently to Thailand and become a citizen. It is easier for a Thai to get an Aussie passport. Much easier.

Thailand used to be the same as Cambodia is now before around 2001. Visas could be obtained without having to leave the country. Technically illegal, but many people were doing it. Non-Immigrant visas even, and you could do a visa run without leaving either. How things have changed. They started really clamping down on this practice a couple of years later when they arrested hundreds of foreigners with dodgy stamps when they were leaving the country, throwing them in jail and deporting them.

Funnily enough, nothing happened to the well known and connected visa agents that were supplying the stamps and lying to some of the foreigners.

The Swedish guy that used to own Thaivisa was arrested and deported for sending passports to Brisbane for visas, so it was a common and relatively accepted practice back in the days.

Edited by Oberkommando

Xenophobes make poor hosts.

Seconded.

Totally agree.

I'm afraid that I totally disagree. In my experience (10yrs), you learn the language, learn the culture, understand the religion and Thais will treat you as one of their own. Be different and expect to be treated differently.

thailand is an entirely different world when you can read,write,speak thai to a good standard. B eing able to read everything around you, understand everything being said, and communicate precisely what you want to say is the best way to go from being an outsider to an insider.

the wingers and moaners though would rather just carry on crying as opposed to actually doing something within their realm of control towards improving their situation (like learning to read, speak thai well)

Thanks for the info. on Canada........he also misrepresented visa policies in the USA, my country.

It is infinitely easier for a Thai to live and work in the USA than it is for an American to do the same in Thailand.

Just a few examples:

1) a Thai can start a business without have to put any money in an American bank account and does not have to hire three Americans,

2) a Thai married to a US citizen is virtually certain to be granted a long term "hassle free" visa, and they often are granted citizenship (takes time but it is frequently granted)

3) a Thai married to a US citizen is given a "re-entry permit card" that is good, I think, for three years, allowing him to leave and enter the country without having to worry about losing visa status

4) a change in visa status does not require leaving the United States

5) once granted a visa there is no 90 day reporting

Not really true. A Thai is much more likely to be denied even a tourist visa to enter the US. We were unable to get a tourist or student visa for my sister-in-law. Nationals from poor countries are routinely denied visas to the US.

There is no such "re-entry permit card." I know because it took my wife three years to get a green card. There is something called "Advance Parole" that permits a foreign national to re-enter the US while her application for Adjustment of Status is pending during which time she does not have any visa. That document is good for one year, but the applicant may still be denied entry according to the judgment of the officer at the port of entry. In other words, re-entry is normally permitted, but is not a right.

The US immigration procedures worked fine for us, but the door to America is not wide open and hasn't been for decades.

Not really true. A Thai is much more likely to be denied even a tourist visa to enter the US. We were unable to get a tourist or student visa for my sister-in-law. Nationals from poor countries are routinely denied visas to the US.

That's because around 80% of Thais that visit on tourist visas never leave.

thailand is an entirely different world when you can read,write,speak thai to a good standard. B eing able to read everything around you, understand everything being said, and communicate precisely what you want to say is the best way to go from being an outsider to an insider.

the wingers and moaners though would rather just carry on crying as opposed to actually doing something within their realm of control towards improving their situation (like learning to read, speak thai well)

You are still a farang and always will be a farang doesn't matter how much to try to mimic your hosts.

Right - you don't hear the farangs who are successful whinging all the time. There are channels to a successful life for a foreigner in Thailand, but they require the right skills, hard work and good decisions...

none of that is required if you have money :D

Oops - I forgot. Money helps too :o

Thailand used to be the same as Cambodia is now before around 2001. Visas could be obtained without having to leave the country. Technically illegal, but many people were doing it.

You could do this for a few years, but everyone knew that they shouldn't be and anyone with any brains was fairly nervous about it. It was just a loophole that people took advantage of as long as they could, but it wasn't like the Thai government was OK with it. :o

The same reason 80% of foreigners who are "visiting here" permanently have to leave the country every 90 days and buy purple ink stamps?

:o

I don't give a toss if they "want" me or not! I reckon they "want" me about as much as my home country. If I can continue to be able to get permissions to stay and they don't shoot me, I am staying. If I wake up one morning and decide I want to leave, I will leave. That is all.

Edited by Jingthing

You are still a farang and always will be a farang doesn't matter how much to try to mimic your hosts.

Quite, and even if you do waste time learning the thai language and traditions they will still fail to understand ,or even want to,.i have a friend that is a doctor and his thai is very good, its actually more against him as they still arent expecting it and he has to repeat everything, ive been here 9 years and am happy to say i cant string a sentence together,done me no harm ,.i wont be here another 9 years for sure, thailand has changed a lot, those that dont see it must never go out id say,.

Visa rules aren't crazy if you apply for a one year visa in your home country.

If you're feeling flush and don't want to fly home to do it then about 23,000 baht to a visa firm in BKK will courier the passport back to the UK and get you a 1 year visa while you smile all the way to the border :o

That's illegal.

According to Thai law you have to be in the country the visa is issued in at the time the visa is issued.

The former owner of Thaivisa; Lars, I think his name was, was busted by Immigration for sending foreigners' passports out of Thailand for visas. To Brisbane Consulate I believe. He used to have an office on mid-Sukhumvit until about 2000.

I believe the rules are that you cannot be in Thailand when you apply for your visa. I have just obtained a 1 year 0 visa for the UK whilst being in Iraq. I sent it from Iraq and provided an address in the UK. Then had a friend bring it out to me. Nothing illegal. The consulate only need a UK address to post it to. I also saw something saying they accept european addresses now.

So as long as you are not in Thailand you can do it.

many thais and probably most are not aware of some of the stupid or draconian measures in place.

many have asked why i don't buy a house? and other such questions which when answered they show great surprise.

so its only a very few that dont.

This is very true...

I have been asked many times about "if now that I have a Thai wife if I have Thai nationality". Once I explain the process needed for yearly visa extensions, 90 day reporting, Requirements of PR, Thai Nationality and the differences between Thai men/foreign women relationships and Foreign men/Thai women relationships people are genuinely surprised.

They usually figure once you are married to a Thai, then there is no issue with getting visa or Thai Nationality if you want it.

This holds true for Thai people I have spoken with from all economic groups.

This doesn't come up in conversation all the time, but generally I have been asked about this at least once or twice a year.

Edited by CWMcMurray

Agree with the above and to me it suggest that there isn't a conspiracy, no more so is there one that keeps Asian Americans and Hispanics out of the NBA. The rules in place, playing field conditions (oh, that basket is so high up!) just happen not to favor some folks.

:o

This wont happen for quite a few years yet, as other countries take THEIR "turn in the barrel" as it were.

THEIR turn to be the dominant spenders and providers of employment opportunities for the Thais, both rich and poor, whether by tourism, or investment in the country

First it was the Americans, over 40 years ago. Then the Western Europeans, followed by the Arab nations, with the Japanese/Koreans filling in any gaps left. Lately we have seen the Russians come and slowly dwindle away. Wonder who will be next....my money is on the Indian nation to give the Thais their next fix of feeling they are part of the greater global community, rather than the xenophobic, bullshitted and brainwashed masses that the majority of them are. Then it will be the Chinese again, with all the problems THAT will bring to the kingdom. Then possibly the next generation of Americans will "rediscover" the Orient and start the whole ball rolling again. In the immortal words of the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band..when WILL the circle be broken?

So, no i cant see any percieved farang exodus having much effect on the attitudes of the Thais for the forseeable future. Not in MY lifetime anyway.

I suppose what i'm saying is there wil always be people from other countries/continents to take up any slack. OK, it mightn't happen seemlessley, but it will, and HAS happened throughout history.

Penkoprod

i guess i walked right into that one surayu. in Thailand for business. family owns a few companies business here related to construction/manufacturing. last thing i want is a thai wife with all the stories i've heard. and yes i have dated thai women. this only made me want them even less. nice girls great fun but come from such a different world. don't really want to deal with all the thai and thai family issues either.

your point being? its not fair?

is it fair that isaan girls have to have sex with men thrice their weight because their family is poor and in debt? No, its not fair, but I sure as hel_l dont see many farang complaining about it.

Life not being fair is only a problem if you are on the short end of the stick.

grow a pair of balls, have some self respect.

Oh dear, this old chestnut and what a load of Krap!! No relevance to the post you were responding to or even the topic!

Who tells the Isaan girls that they HAVE to do this? Nobody forces them Do Farang go to these girls' villages and drag them to Pattaya? No!

I'm sick of people blaming the farang for an industry that has existed for generations before the tourists arrived.

Most of these girls make the choice of how to earn money and decide to go places like Pattaya because the customers pay more. Many prefer a fat farang customer than a fat Thai customer. A lot more Thais have aids than farang. A Thai is 300 times more likely to die from aids than a Brit (WHO 2002)

before anyone jumps up and down and shouts ,i love it in Thailand and always have.our neighbours are terrific and i have a good familly who never want anything(except her young brother,lazy sod),but its those in charge ,who always seem to want our money ,but give us nothing in return .things like double pricing,150 baht charge to take your money out of an a.t.m. draconian visa regulations ,not being able to own land ,ect what is it? they keep coming out with guff about making Thailand the perfect destination but to my mind its just b-llocks.

what do you lot think?

1.) Does any government really want foriegners, no they want your money though.

2.) Visa laws, its actually pretty easy to be here if you have a good reason.

3.) land here is cheap, thailand should be for the thais, get a condo or have your wife buy land .If you cant trust your wife, well thats your fault.

4.) atm fees well show me a place that dosent have them if your using a atm that isnt part of your own bank.

5.) if you live here, get a local bank acct for day to day spending

Would you be happy in uk if there were a bunch of drunken african dudes haning out with prostitutes in your home town, whilst not making any real social contributions to your society, other than funding the previously mentioned?

The Thais in charge generalize, why do you think farang generaly have such a low status in this country, I know that this is a broad generalization of all expats. If we were all here working and making a positive contribution to the larger community, as many of us do, id bet the rules would be more in our favor.

And where does this happen in Thailand?

Are you by chance referring to Pattaya? A City that is basically funded by tourism with areas created precisely to attract tourists who like drinking and hanging out with the ladies on offer.

Very few Thais can actually call Pattaya their Hometown. Most of them are drawn to Pattaya BECAUSE of the freespending drunken tourists that like hanging out with the girls.

So what is your point?

Xenophobes make poor hosts.

Seconded.

Totally agree.

I'm afraid that I totally disagree. In my experience (10yrs), you learn the language, learn the culture, understand the religion and Thais will treat you as one of their own. Be different and expect to be treated differently.

Blimey! The UK, and a lot of other western coutries are becoming more right wing by the day. We are as bad as you are accusing them of being.

Thailand does not owe you acceptance. You have to work at it as with everything in life.

Maybe things are just different out in Issan and away from the big cities.

I agree that the UK is becoming more right wing, but that is mainly because the people are getting sick of being regarded as a soft touch by every immigrant (legal or not) that arrives to take advantage of the benefit system and making no contribution at all.

Maybe things are different here in Isaan, for sure the people are mostly friendly enough, but they will never accept a farang as one of their own. After 2 years in this village, most people still refer to me as "Farang" Still that's better than "YOU,YOU,YOU CIGARETTE!" That some of them used to call me :o

Thaimate,

The Thais have actually stated that they wanted to attract a higher class of tourist, short holidays and high spenders, so no, they don't really want the likes of us here.

sometimes I find it very frustrating that the Visa requirements aren't a little easier, but its been a similar story all the time that I've been here and I don't expect any changes. The Thai powers that be like to see us jump through a few hoops and I suppose that it keeps the immigration staff in work.

It does worry me that they keep changing the Visa and extention rules and there is no certainty that things will stay as they are. It's always at the back of my mind that they could introduce a new rule that makes it impossible for me to meet the requirements. It could happen, who knows what they will come up with next.

For most people there is no chance of ever being accepted as a resident with rights the same as a Thai.

I agree that it's not so easy for most Thais to get a tourist Visa to the UK, but that's hardly surprising as so many would be suspected of being economic migrants.

Yes Thai people have to jump through a few hoops, but if married to a Brit, most will be awarded full citizenship with the same rights as any British born subject. So in some ways it's harder for a Thai to get to the UK, but in the end there is so much more available to them. We will always be regarded as a visitor in Thailand.

With the rule about foreigners owning land, I'm sitting on the fence a bit. I agree with others that if foreigners were allowed to buy land that it could push prices out of the range of the locals. I'm not interested in living in a condo and I would love to be able to buy some land and build a new house. I don't have the answer, I'm afraid. If I could own the land, I would probably liquidate some UK assets and do it, but if it cannot be in my name - no way. This house is in my girlfriends name and I have contributed from my income, so it is adequate, but we could have a much better house if I could do it in my own name.

I think it was Tony Soprano that posted "You should be able to trust your wife enough to put assets in her name" Well a fool and his money are soon parted. I trust my lady, but who knows what is around the corner. relationships often don't go the distance. I was with my last girlfriend for 4 years and didn't expect it to end, but it did. If I'd used my capital to build a new house, do you think she would have sold it and handed me the cash?

My capital is not renewable so I can't afford to deplete it as I have to consider the future. I will happily spend all my income and that means we have to save for things.

Anyone who buys property in his wife's name, unless he can afford to not worry about the loss, is a fool. Of course if he has so much that the loss of that cash will hardly make a dent in his riches, then why not? Up to him.

Nobody has ever tried to stop me from living here. They are going to start charging 150 baht for ATM usage? Well, I have already set up an ACH deposit method which is almost free to use. Problem solved. Visa regulations ---> another problem that I solved. In my experience, life in the West also presents you with problems to solve.

My biggest problem on a day to day basis is trying to decide between the SL's, L's and V's in another place where I am apparently not welcome, but always have a great time with great service.

The Thai powers that be like to see us jump through a few hoops and I suppose that it keeps the immigration staff in work.

It does worry me that they keep changing the Visa and extention rules and there is no certainty that things will stay as they are. It's always at the back of my mind that they could introduce a new rule that makes it impossible for me to meet the requirements. It could happen, who knows what they will come up with next.

Yes, this is the main reason I make very little effort to assimilate. Commitment is a two way street, and there is none from the immigration side, so it seems highly irrational to consider yourself fully at home here, when the powers that be do not. If you are here on a visa type that provides a path towards residence status, your feelings on this will understandably and rationally be different.

Edited by Jingthing

Hm nice poilte response there!!

My wife who lives in Bangkok takes care of our small business there and cannot really afford to leave it for any length of time so she would be unable to come to the UK and get a UK passport etc. I can't go there full time as I am under 50 and dont have enough CASH (plenty of assets) to stay there permanently. So for the next few years we have to stay apart quite a lot. I would appreciate a visa that lets me come and go a bit more easily although the Non O is quite good at the moment unless they start messing about with that one. I really think they should do some type of visa for foreigners married to Thais after 5 years of marriage too and can prove a relationsip really exists. Currently I come over twice a year for 2-3 months per time and have done this now for about 3 years.

Although my wife has been here to the UK and liked it she really didnt like the cold one bit, its also not easy for her to get a visa to do this, a UK passport would be great for her to travel freely but we just cant manage it with the business. I think you need to stay n the UK about 2 years etc although i did read it could be done over a few years visits accruing time here? Still no good option for us at the moment.

I see if a farang woman marries a Thai man life is much easier for her??

Yes it is much easier for female Farang who is married to a Thai man and want to live in Thailand, as she and her Thai husband do not need show any income for her to get a Visa based on being married to a Thai unlike male farangs.

Additionaly she can go straight on the house registration papers and can bypass the PR process and apply for a Thai passport after 5 years.

The Thai immigration rules and laws are NOT the same as those for farang males.

Edited by brianinbangkok