Poor Spelling Undermines Search-ability

chiangmaibruce

No, I'm not complaining about the terrible spelling that is so common in TV, but ...

one implication further down the track is that people won't be able to find relevant threads (unless their spelling is equally bad!). So more yet more duplicate threads - fabulous.

Is there any way you could either:

have an auto-correction written in so that when people start a new thread the spelling of the title is auto-checked and corrected (or the 'puter won't accept it if it doesn't recognise the word)

OR

adjust your search engine so that it picks up minor variations in spelling/common mispellings for particular words

Anyway, quite possibly neither will be practical, but just an idea

- CB

Try using the Tags and/or Tag posts that are relevant to you. I think you must have 500 posts or more to do that though :o

Yours truly,

Kan Win :D

Is the tagging function still working? I can't see any button next to the word "Tags" at the top of the page.

...Is there any way you could either:

have an auto-correction written in so that when people start a new thread the spelling of the title is auto-checked and corrected (or the 'puter won't accept it if it doesn't recognise the word)

OR

adjust your search engine so that it picks up minor variations in spelling/common mispellings for particular words...

That would be a great thing to have but I fear there are technical limitations and it is all manual work for the moderating team to delete duplicate topics or close them with a link to a topic that was started earlier on the same subject. Forum boards rely on the common sense of their members, sometimes referred to as netiquette, which includes refraining from creating duplicate topics. The great majority of members have this common sense and good manners. The few who don't are encouraged to acquire them or they will eventually fall by the wayside.

--

Maestro

Is the tagging function still working? I can't see any button next to the word "Tags" at the top of the page.

Oh dear, :D you do have a problem or two as I did Tag this topic twice.

Yours turly

Kan See me Tags :D

Win :o

Oh dear, :D you do have a problem or two as I did Tag this topic twice.

Yours turly

Kan See me Tags :D

Win :o

Yes, I see both of your tags - "Terrible spelling" and "Bad spelling", but I can't see the button to make a tag.

Do you think a PM to George might help? :D

Screenshot, please.

--

Maestro

Here you are, Maestro - both Firefox and IE:

FF:

gallery_35489_952_176862.jpg

IE:

gallery_35489_952_229667.jpg

I did see the Tags button a long time ago - when it was first added, and I'm sure I tagged a thread then, although there hadn't been any information given about "tagging". So I may have been blocked from tagging because I started doing it before it had been formally announced.

Poor spelling is prevalent throughout the site. One in particular has been in the job section sticky for years. Many pms to the powers that be and nothing changed.

Still there, sticks out like a sore thumb.

But this is the best site for us so I return. It is a valuable site.