The New Mall (central)

Pdaz

The New Mall - The Poll you have been waiting for...  

52 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Well the Malls been open a while.. Still causing a little trouble on Beach Rd due to the idiot Songtaew drivers and the fools trying to direct the traffic..

I've visited a few times.. Been to the movies.. Bought some imported food in Central (Waitrose biscuits, good quality meat and deli goods) ..Had a MOS Burger and tried the 'Eat all you can' Suki place. Bought a backpack in Sports World.. But apart from that left feeling frustrated... Lots of shopping but either nothing really different to elsewhere or good quality stuff that I like but they don't have any stock that fits a 191cm tall farang with broard shoulders and size 12 feet :o

So what have you lot bought..if anything ?

Edited by Pdaz

It's mainly a food thing for me.

Eaten in many of the venues, top to bottom. I love it.

Movies? Sometimes, I prefer the Avenue Mall cinemas.

Shopping? A little. A few household items at Central, an item from a pharmacy, and an item from one of the bath toiletries small stalls.

Otherwise, have browsed many of the stores (not for clothes at all) and bought nada.

I mainly go there for the restaurants, Cosmetic stores and Book stores.

The Clothes shops in there do nothing for me.

I also use the Cinema there however prefer The Avenue for that since its closer to home.

Still disappointed with the shops there. I was looking forward to "TopShop" opening, as that is quite a popular shop in the UK with nice affordable clothes.

Was happy to see that it had already opened when I went there a couple of days ago. Walked in, Had all the sales people completely surround me like they hadn't had a customer all day, saw a white cotton shirt, 3,200 baht, walked back out again.

3,200 baht for a plain cotton shirt? I'll stick to Theprasit Market, thanks! :o

We went there when they first opened to go to the movies and look around. I said lets get there a couple of hours before the film and have a bite to eat/ look around. We ate in the downstairs foodcourt which was awful and double the price of any other food court.

Looked in the supermarket for about 2 mins, laughed at some of the prices and left. Went upstairs and walked the length of one floor and was totally overwhelmed by the size of the place and number of shops. I am a man and cannot spend hours wandering around a mall trying to find something - I go to a shop that I know has it and buy it in a few minutes.

After all that we were still about 1 1/2 hours early for the movie so went and had a few drinks in one of the nearby bars. Won't be going back.

The downstairs food court prices are not that different than the Carrefour food court with some exceptions such as the Tammanthai stall which actually represents an upscale Thai restaurant upstairs. Try the Singapore fried rice noodles at the Hong Kong BBQ stall, very good. As far as prices, for example the khao mun gai stall (very good also) is priced standard. All in all, the basement food court at the mall is without a doubt the BEST FOOD COURT in Pattaya. I don't count that HISO court on a higher floor. Out of my price range. Much better value in REAL RESTAURANTS than that joint, the food did not look anywhere near worth the prices and the one "Chinese" place I tried was a major disappointment.

Edited by Jingthing

The downstairs food court prices are not that different than the Carrefour food court with some exceptions such as the Tammanthai stall which actually represents an upscale Thai restaurant upstairs. Try the Singapore fried rice noodles at the Hong Kong BBQ stall, very good. As far as prices, for example the khao mun gai stall (very good also) is priced standard. All in all, the basement food court at the mall is without a doubt the BEST FOOD COURT in Pattaya.

I've also tried the Singapore Fried noodles...

Aroy maak! Great for 55 baht also... They gave me so much that I could only eat about half of it! Very generous with the meat too!

At the same place, I tried the salted fish fried rice (Chinese style). About 50 baht. I was shocked at how huge the portion was, like family size. I figured they either like me or needed to dump the fish. Delicious as well.

For anyone who only visited the basement food court in the first few weeks, that was a hectic time for them and most of the places have their act together by now.

I figured they either like me or needed to dump the fish. Delicious as well.

When I was served with my plate of noodles and saw the size of the portion, I thought that they were thinking I was a little on the slim side and thought I needed to put a bit of weight on :o

Food from the Tops/Central supermarket, although I'm more of a Villa fan. Clothes from Central. Nothing in the plaza area goods wise, but have slowly completed the circuit of all the restaurants. correction: bought a couple of versions of Monopoly that I didn't have yet from Toys-R-Us, and a set of Legos for the kid, last week.

Good to see so many armchair business advisors who are concerned for the survival of Central Retailing and their subsidiary CPN.

:o

Edited by Heng

......slippery floor, like walking on a slippery road !!!

made me feel i have to run away

from there, but hardly could walk....

not place for me.

:D:o

I've never noticed this before.. :D

Maybe its your shoes?

I've walked around Central in all different kinds of shoes including heels and never had a problem walking..

Maybe you've had too much of the :D

hehe :D

There are some miserable people on this forum, whinging about just about everything... I have found the store to be great..

I go to the Ground Floor supermarket 2 or 3 times a week, great sandwhiched for work, lasagne, salads etc Great! Bought some clothes from French Connection, bought some trainers from the sports shops, bought some CDS and mag's from the BT shop, or whatever it's called.. It's going to be great for buying Xmas presents to take home with me and xmas cards, as previous years I've had to go to BKK..

It's a great place.. Full marks to central for doing it. A successful company who gives people what they want. I do admit the central clothes store is a bit sub standard and the floors are slippery! Nice bogs, nice atmosphere for a mooch about though.. Great!

People need to be a bit more positive about things.. And the reason many of the things are expensive are because they have high import tax, which is not Central's fault but a result of the government's over protectionist policies.. but that's another topic altoghether!

I await your critisicm......

There are some miserable people on this forum, whinging about just about everything... I have found the store to be great..

I go to the Ground Floor supermarket 2 or 3 times a week, great sandwhiched for work, lasagne, salads etc Great! Bought some clothes from French Connection, bought some trainers from the sports shops, bought some CDS and mag's from the BT shop, or whatever it's called.. It's going to be great for buying Xmas presents to take home with me and xmas cards, as previous years I've had to go to BKK..

It's a great place.. Full marks to central for doing it. A successful company who gives people what they want. I do admit the central clothes store is a bit sub standard and the floors are slippery! Nice bogs, nice atmosphere for a mooch about though.. Great!

People need to be a bit more positive about things.. And the reason many of the things are expensive are because they have high import tax, which is not Central's fault but a result of the government's over protectionist policies.. but that's another topic altoghether!

I await your critisicm......

I hate NOT to criticise, but have to agree, The Mall is a great addition to Pattaya, give them a chance, for sure there will be changes, they have to adapt to the market, which is going to be very trying for some time to come!

I made do with the Waitrose Rich Tea myself... I saw Robinsons Lemon Barley water in there too.. But it was over 3 quid a bottle (160baht).. For that price I'd rather have a pint of Cider :o

The basement food court i thought great and good value .Have also bought some Thai mags at the big book store ,on the 3 rd floor ,i think .

I thought the food court was a major ripoff, at least for the drinks.

When I asked the gal for my usual "large coke, no ice" she proceeded to grab a small glass. Thinking she didn't undersand, I tried correcting her "no, no, LARGE".

To which she replied "Large no ice, you get small glass!"

<deleted>!?

I said "no thanks" and went across the hallway to BG where I got a nice, huge Coke with no ice and no grief from the cute counter girl.

So the food may be decent, but the drinks are a major scam.

-Smelly

I thought the food court was a major ripoff, at least for the drinks.

When I asked the gal for my usual "large coke, no ice" she proceeded to grab a small glass. Thinking she didn't undersand, I tried correcting her "no, no, LARGE".

To which she replied "Large no ice, you get small glass!"

I don't complain often but this STINGINESS bordering on meanness is one of the things that is a constant irritation in Thailand.

To be charged extra for some additional mayonnaise, or more ice, or no ice at all, etc., is an extension of the poor customer service that seems to exist throughout the country.

I have spent time in other poor countries such as Mexico and Panama and didn't find this to be the case there.