Opening A New Bank Account In Thailand

4 hours ago, Pib said:

I've seen several posts over the last few years where the bank required a $10K deposit to open an account....and I think it was K-Bank in each case..   I expect this was "not" a regular savings account but another type of savings account.  And it not uncommon for bank branches to push insurance, debit cards with insurance, etc., which provide the branch a higher profit/commission at the customer's expense.  

But I don't totally blame the bank as the customer needs to fully understand what he/she is signing up for, do some advance research, etc.  

Now since you mentioned earlier you had to deposit Bt10K and ended up getting x2 insurance coverage, that sounds kinda like the K Bank Flexible Fixed Deposit Savings account which requires a minimum of Bt9K opening deposit and has a x2 accident insurance provision.  Or, it could have been the Current Account which requires a $10K opening deposit.   A person just needs to know what they are signing up for.

https://www.kasikornbank.com/en/personal/Account/Pages/flexible-plus-family-protection.aspx

https://www.kasikornbank.com/en/personal/Account/Pages/current.aspx

My double insurance issue was that they said I MUST buy insurance if I want to open an account. This insurance is provided by a company called Muang Thai insurance.

Whatever I accepted that. However, when I got home I see they had also sold me a k max debit card for 750 or something (i forget), the main benifit of which is the insurance it provides you. That was my complaint with them. 

Im not humpty dumpty. I don't need 3 lots of insurance. I get insurance when working at sea as well but that only covers work.

Edited by sikishrory

• 2 weeks later...

Will be arriving in Thailand with retirement visa and hope to open bank accounts soon after arrival. Will I need to show any proof of address in Thailand? Will just be staying at a hotel at first. Sorry if this has come up before but I couldn't find it. Thank you.

On 23/1/2561 at 6:46 PM, dastott said:

Will be arriving in Thailand with retirement visa and hope to open bank accounts soon after arrival. Will I need to show any proof of address in Thailand? Will just be staying at a hotel at first. Sorry if this has come up before but I couldn't find it. Thank you.

Every Bank decides different, even only a different branch - go and try what they want and need and if to much try other Bank or and Branch. 

1 hour ago, ALFREDO said:

Every Bank decides different, even only a different branch - go and try what they want and need and if to much try other Bank or and Branch. 

Yeah look around. Krungsri the yellow bank accepted me with a hotel address...The Bangkok bank is bent and you can open an account with a snide IO....The green bank - katchikorn -The old Thai Farmers Bank..will want a 10 k deposit...Be careful ATM cards have no security here so never put big money in your account linked to a card.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 24.1.2018 at 11:14 PM, dastott said:

Thanks a lot. Very helpful. If it does become necessary, how easy is it to get a Certficate of Residence when staying at a hotel? Ask the manager very nicely and take it to the neareast immigration office?

Good luck walking around in BKK ect. and looking for a bank account. I did it about 1-2 monthas ago in BKK+Patong and did not suceed with all the THAI banks like bankgok bank, krunkgsri, kasikorn. tried several branches of the same bank too. nothing possible without work permit or condo  that i own.

Only UOB bank in silom (Silom Complex) was in the position to open the accout.

I would be very interested if someone could post his CURRENT EXPERIENCE too  here about account opening and which documents the bank was asking for. Expecially if no work permit or own condo is necessary.

I hold an old bankgok bank accout (savings account) already which i opened several years ago with only a passport+insurance for 1000b that i had to buy. but time has changed since then and this info is outdated now and of no use if i give this experience to someone else nowadays.

i went to my bank (bankgok bank) and wanted to make a fixed deposit and despite i have already a savings account with bankgok bank, they not wanted to make a fixed deposit for me without work permit. happened to me last year in december.

so i tried several banks in BKK + Patong to open a new savings account+fixed depost accout ~1 month ago and ALL refused without work permit or condo except UOB + CIMB bank + Citibank. But citi require a depostit of several mio. THB.

This is my own very current experience about opening a bank account in Thailand!

Therefore i am very surprised many people here give the advice "just try several banks+brances ect. "

I did this 1 month ago and it did not work without work permit or condo at all the Thai Banks except the above foreign banks that i mentioned.

So if someone has a CURRENT EXPERIENCE about bank accout opening then please post here with all the details (where, necessary documents ect.) i am very interested but not "how i opened my bank account 2 years ago ect."  because what worked 1-2 years ago is not working nowadays so easy anymore.

Edited by Crisu

21 minutes ago, dastott said:

Thanks for the info, very helpful. Do you mind me asking what visa you are holding? I was lead to believe that an O-A visa holder could open bank accounts without a condo. Thanks again.

I am holding a METV becasue i am still not 50. But it was no problem for any of the thai banks that i visited which VISA type i hold. They all only asked work permit or own condo. After walking 1/2 day in BKK from one THAI bank to another i gave up at the end and openend the new acccount at UOB with savings account, fixed depost, Visa debit card and internet banking.  But UOB need a letter showing your adress in thailand.

And this happen all  ~1-2 months ago, not before 1-2 years.

But you can  try several banks/brances in BKK with your Non Immigrant. Maybe you are more lucky and i would be happy if you post your recent experience if you could open the account just with your non immigrant or even if you fail.

in another thread one member posted some days ago he was only asked his passport at bankgkok bank in BKK to open the accout but he not mentioned when. this must be some years ago because i am sure this  is not working now anymore and of no help if a foreigner is interested to open an account now.  even me, who is holding an old savings acccout with bangkok bank already was unable to open an additional fixed deposit accoutn NOW without work permit. thats why i was looking for another bank and i even tried several bangkok bank brances in BKK wihtout success

Thanks for the update. Yes, I will post back. Only have a hotel address in Bangkok though, unfortunately. Did you need a certificate of residence?
I did not need it with UOB bank but had one and gave it to them. But they asked for a bill showing my adress and i had a phone bill from DTAC. I did not asked them if COR is enough to prove adress in thai because i could show them the phone bill already therefore did not asked more.

I not want destroy your hopes but i am afraid with only hotel adress+non immigrant you will neither get a COR nor bank account.

But i wish you good luck.

I opened a fixed deposit account at bangkok bank in november last year only with my passport and the 30 days entry stamp. I went to the branch with my girlfriend. I don’t know why it shouldn’t be possible to open a savings account without a work permit? Bangkok bank write on their internet side it is possible with tourist visa as well

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I opened a fixed deposit account at bangkok bank in november last year only with my passport and the 30 days entry stamp. I went to the branch with my girlfriend. I don’t know why it shouldn’t be possible to open a savings account without a work permit? Bangkok bank write on their internet side it is possible with tourist visa as well  

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

They write many things on internet but in reality is different and i dont know if you have special circumstances. But why you not give more details here (branch, contact person) so the other TV member can contact this branch+staff and open his account with this person too because he has only hotel booking + non immigrant. Maybe i could try too at this staff.

I told already: i failed to open fixed deposit in patong with bangkok bank in dez. 17 despite i have already a savings account with them and when i was in bkk in jan 18 i faild again with all thai banks inclusive bangkok bank to open just a savings account and i have METV, utility bill, room rent contract, certificate of residence but no work permit, no business and i am not owner of a condo/house and no woman/gf.

If someone could open account without work permit, condo or own business recently it would be of much more help if the branch+contact person at the bank would be posted too instead of only "i open last year in dez." because this is not of real help if someone faces the problem to open an account in reality.

On 1/23/2018 at 6:46 PM, dastott said:

Just a word of advice, whatever bank branch you do end up opening an account with will become your home branch and you may be required to return to only  that branch in the future, so pick you "home" branch carefully. 

I advise most to open an account at  "mall" or "shopping center" so you will have more flexible banking hours and hold off opening a bank account until you are sure where you will be staying while here in Thailand 

• Like 1

Everyone thinks Thai banks have written, standard polices they refer to regarding whether a farang can open a bank account or not.   Not true. 

Really, they just spin a wheel like below to determine whether or not you can open an account.   "And at some branches" even when it stops on YES! they will spin it again until it stops on NO.

Farang Account Opening Rule Wheel

image.png.5ab2693602314e4fea95f2bc2b9efff8.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

In Chiangmai Chinese on visa exemption can open a bank account with just a passport with certain branches of Bangkok Bank for a fee of 2000 baht paid to a Thai/Chinese agency. I guess this probably applies to other banks as well and not just for Chinese.

22 hours ago, Thailand said:

In Chiangmai Chinese on visa exemption can open a bank account with just a passport with certain branches of Bangkok Bank for a fee of 2000 baht paid to a Thai/Chinese agency. I guess this probably applies to other banks as well and not just for Chinese.

Bangkok Bank has seemed to move their new debit cards to China Union Pay....go figure. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,
Anyone has latest information about which bank/branch in Bangkok can open simple account with generic debit card without visa (exemption stamp)?
Friend of mine opened an account in Kasikorn 4 years ago, then didn't use it long time. Yesterday he came to Thailand again, tried to put money on his old account, but account was closed. He asked officer "can I re-open it?" and got answer "you must have work permit". Because he came for 2 months, keep money in cash not so god idea...
Thanks for your suggestions.

Last December I opened a bangkok bank savings account in Bangkapi branch (the one after Sukumvit 12). I had SETV. I gave them the following documents.

1. Passport

2. Apartment lease

3. A letter (affidavit) from the US embassy about my home address in the USA.

They gave me ATM card but the branch manager refused to give me online access. She told me to get Non-Immigrant visa for online access. I am going to Thailand on Non-OA and would get online access.

Edited by onera1961

On 8/5/2017 at 10:36 PM, livingmakmak said:

I went to 3 different Bangkok Bank branch and they all wanted some paper from the US Embassy if I wanted to open an account on a tourist visa. Anyone know what paper it is that they want?

It is an affidavit for your address in the US. I got it for $50 (any affidavit costs $50). You basically write your address in a form and take an oath for before the officer.

• 2 months later...

I went to KrungSri Westgate to open a new account recently. I had decided to change banks. I took my passport with non immigrant B visa only. It was done and dusted in 30 minutes and that included setting up the banking app.

I brought a fair amount of cash for a sweetener but it wasn't required. I only handed over 1000 baht - 700 for deposit and 300 for debit card and insurance costs.

Like most things I find in Thailand, your mileage often comes down to your rapport with the people you deal with. I built an instant report with the staff member and the manager in Thai / English babble I use and it was fine.

If you are hoping to start an account it may help to consider the following:

• Don't go during busy times or near closing times. There is a lot of end of day paperwork for banking staff to complete. If it comes down to going home on time or helping a westerner get a bank account you probably will not win. Also, end of month is a crazy time. A lot of people have their salaries paid and banks in general get a lot busier. Try to time your visit.
  • Dress well.
  • Phrase your request a little differently. Instead of asking to open an account, ask what size deposit will be required when you do open the account and when is a good time to visit the bank to open it.

All the best with it. A bank account makes life a lot easier over here.

Edited by Farangwithaplan
typo
  • Like 1

On 3/21/2018 at 4:56 AM, 4evermaat said:

Bangkok Bank has seemed to move their new debit cards to China Union Pay....go figure. 

I tried a lot to get my Bangkok Bank Visa card back - but everywhere in different branches in the Internet e.mails call center all said or wrote not possible - than I walked 800 km from my place in Nan province in a Bangkok Bank and was - after some loud speaking about my dissatisfaction offered a Bangkok Bank Visa Debit card for a 200 Baht payment. ? Crazy

And kept my Union Pay card for the ATM use - as I easy forgot the ATM cards there. ? 

13 hours ago, ALFREDO said:

I tried a lot to get my Bangkok Bank Visa card back - but everywhere in different branches in the Internet e.mails call center all said or wrote not possible - than I walked 800 km from my place in Nan province in a Bangkok Bank and was - after some loud speaking about my dissatisfaction offered a Bangkok Bank Visa Debit card for a 200 Baht payment. ? Crazy

And kept my Union Pay card for the ATM use - as I easy forgot the ATM cards there. ? 

do you remember the date you applied for the replacement BkB Visa Debit Card?

41 minutes ago, 4evermaat said:

do you remember the date you applied for the replacement BkB Visa Debit Card?

From what I understand, the BKKB Visa debit cards do still exist, but in VERY limited supply and the branch has to request them from the bank's main office. And it's not uncommon for branches/branch staff to claim/tell customers that in fact they no longer are being provided, which is the general truth. In fact, they are still available and being provided... but getting a branch to fess up to that and be willing to provide one can be a daunting task.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thanks 1

I tried a lot to get my Bangkok Bank Visa card back - but everywhere in different branches in the Internet e.mails call center all said or wrote not possible - than I walked 800 km from my place in Nan province in a Bangkok Bank and was - after some loud speaking about my dissatisfaction offered a Bangkok Bank Visa Debit card for a 200 Baht payment. [emoji3] Crazy
And kept my Union Pay card for the ATM use - as I easy forgot the ATM cards there. [emoji6] 

But please don’t forget, visa debit cards from bangkok bank can only used untill end of 2019, after then only union pay cards are valid

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I believe all banks' debit cards will have to offer a system of domestic transactions provided by a Thai organization by 2020. Thanachart is already offering co-branded debit cards that use Mastercard for foreign transactions and PromptCard (provided by Thai-based ITMX)  for domestic transactions. Personally, I'd prefer to stay away from UnionPay.

On 6/25/2018 at 2:19 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

From what I understand, the BKKB Visa debit cards do still exist, but in VERY limited supply and the branch has to request them from the bank's main office. And it's not uncommon for branches/branch staff to claim/tell customers that in fact they no longer are being provided, which is the general truth. In fact, they are still available and being provided... but getting a branch to fess up to that and be willing to provide one can be a daunting task.

I figured as much.  They never formally issued a press release saying that they've dropped Visa completely. I assumed it would have created mass panic.   It certainly would have been newsworthy and would also created a long TV forum post. 

Can someone link or post screenshot showing that visa debit cards are going to expire en masse next year?