How Safe Is It To Pay With Visa?

sorensen

How safe is it to shop online and pay with a VISA card?

I am not talking about well established sites that have encrypted payment forms, but lets take the little slip you fill out if you want to subscribe to magazines like Time, Economist, etc as an example.

There you have to give all the cards details and what is stopping anybody from intercepting the mail and shop on my card?

Does VISA require a copy of the signed slip before they will release any funds?

Is it required for some transactions that I also give out the 3 digit on the back of the card?

Don't EVER use your credit cards to buy things in Thailand.

I used my card in Siam Paragon, I then traveled overseas. My card was accessed for over US$10,000 before VISA put a stop on the card.

I got all my money back.

If you need to use your card, go to the bank with your passport and get cash.

NEVER give out your 3 digit security number. This is what they write down when you pay by card.

I was issued with a Bangkok Bank Visa and Mastercard the other week, I haven't used them yet.

There is a 100,000 limit and if I do use them the account is paid within 7 days from my Bangkok Bank savings account, I have to keep 200,000 in a Bkk Bank fixed account also.

I can use the cards anywhere in the world apparantley.

I wanted them to buy anything online, or as a payment in hotels etc if I was short on Cash in my pocket.

Is it unwise to use them for anything ?

I am not talking about well established sites that have encrypted payment forms, but lets take the little slip you fill out if you want to subscribe to magazines like Time, Economist, etc as an example.

There you have to give all the cards details and what is stopping anybody from intercepting the mail and shop on my card?

Is it required for some transactions that I also give out the 3 digit on the back of the card?

If you shop on-line then get a 'Paypal' account. It's free and easy and secure to set up. Any reputable on-line seller will accept a 'Paypal' payment. 'Paypal' then automatically re-imburse themselves direct from your card of which they have the details. Totally safe, I've been using them for years.

I was issued with a Bangkok Bank Visa and Mastercard the other week, I haven't used them yet.

There is a 100,000 limit and if I do use them the account is paid within 7 days from my Bangkok Bank savings account, I have to keep 200,000 in a Bkk Bank fixed account also.

I wanted them to buy anything online, or as a payment in hotels etc if I was short on Cash in my pocket.

then it isnt credit is it?

They are definitely credit cards, but foreigners have to put double the amount of the 'so called' credit that they would like into a savings account. At least that's Bangkok Bank's policy. Bloody cheek, the authorities I assume consider us foreigners more likely to take flight. However once you reach your limit, any further transactions are denied and the bank still has that 'limit' again on reserve in your account. Just in case of what I have no idea.

Regards Bojo

No it isn't credit, but

They can be used in the same way as a credit card in UK, and I was asked how I wanted to pay back the sum if I ever used it, I said I will pay 100% as I don't want charges, but I could have paid back in instalments.

Although I do have to keep 200,000 in the fixed account, anyway, like I said, I doubt mine will get much use, but they were free and could come in handy in an emergency.

And lets face it, Thai Banks are right to ask Farangs to keep 200,000 in the fixed account to cover any costs, cos in Farang countries, unsecured credit cards have cost credit card companies billions of dollars with the Farangs that have ripped them off leading to your higher interest charges.

Thailand does not want to make the same mistake.

I have never had a problem using cc in TL

Te only thing is to watch some of them if based outside TL

may charge an additional conversion fee.

But for folk who have TL based cc no problems with that of course.

Citi Bank has an online feature that lets you generate a temporary credit card number. It is a one time one use number and you can tell them the cash limit of the one time usage. But you must access your account online to do it so if you do not have a secure internet connection than I would suggest you not do it.

it's typically safer making transactions online as opposed to giving a counter person your card where they can easily grab the card number and code (swipe it, write it down, take a pic with cellphone, etc...)

however, i will never use my credit card at 90% of thai establishments. i remember SB Furniture wanting my passport so they could make a photo copy of it along. ha! riiiiight...

I don't see that anyone answered your question yet.

You seem to understand encypted sites and the important thing is to make sure THAT's all you order from: Encrypted shopping carts.

I have an e-commerce online business and will try to explain

When you go to checkout, from the page where it asks you to enter your credit card no., expiration date, and 3 digit security code, you should look in the address bar and make sure there is an s at the end of the http. https://blahblahblah.com is how it should look.

That s at the end means it is encrypted and no one should be able to intercept your number.

Then it usually goes through a payment gateway which is a company that is certified by the banks to do this certain thing, and they check whether your info is correct and your card is good.

Once you click on confirm payment or something similar, the money is then deducted from your visa or similar card and goes into the website owner's bank.

You can usually go directly to the website of the bank that you received the credit card from and see the transaction. (once you go through the lenghtly process of setting it up so you can check these things online)

If you see a bogus transaction on there and suspect fraud, you can file a grievance and a "chargeback" gets started.

I'm not going to go into great detail, but that is basically how it works.

In 6 years of selling online, i have had 3 chargebacks. 2 of them i fought and won, the other was dropped because the guy thought i was someone else he had ordered from that same day.

99% of the time, buying online with a credit card is safe AS LONG AS YOU SEE THAT S AFTER THE HTTP! (and you trust the company to actually send what you order, if not, you can still file the chargeback)

I hope this helps.

Using a credit card in stores in Thailand is a different story and totally different security risk. I have had mine copied and used in London and Tokyo even though i hadn't been to those countries in more than 10 years.

One more thing: DOn't ever put your credit card number or delicate info in an email. They are not encrypted and can be intercepted.

Edited by fiddlehead

No it isn't credit, but

They can be used in the same way as a credit card in UK, and I was asked how I wanted to pay back the sum if I ever used it, I said I will pay 100% as I don't want charges, but I could have paid back in instalments.

Although I do have to keep 200,000 in the fixed account, anyway, like I said, I doubt mine will get much use, but they were free and could come in handy in an emergency.

And lets face it, Thai Banks are right to ask Farangs to keep 200,000 in the fixed account to cover any costs, cos in Farang countries, unsecured credit cards have cost credit card companies billions of dollars with the Farangs that have ripped them off leading to your higher interest charges.

Thailand does not want to make the same mistake.

:o

Of course the banks giving out these cards to people with no hope of paying them off, has nothing to do with the banks losing billions of dollars then??

Get real, the banks factor in the losses when they do their calculations for the interest rates they charge people like you. :D

Why bother with a credit card. If you cannot afford to pay cash or direct from funds in a bank account, you can't afford to have it.

I have a card issued by a US bank, but found I cannot use it for shopping online because of my Thai address -- many US-based online shopping sites won't accept foreign addresses.

Anyone else run into this and how did you remedy it?

I think there are two questions here.

1/Is visa safe to use?

Generally yes but cc fraud is a worldwide problem and it is a risk to consider.

2/What about the money if my card is used?

Depending on which bank issues your card either the bank OR you is responsible for illegal use. In the UK it is standard that the bank will foot the bill but I have been told that Thai banks will not.

I have used my cc in N.America,Europe and Asia and only in the UK has it been used illegally. A major pain in the arse but it did not cost me a bean.

I am happy to use a cc but only where the issuing bank will pick up the bill for fraud.

I have a card issued by a US bank, but found I cannot use it for shopping online because of my Thai address -- many US-based online shopping sites won't accept foreign addresses.

Sorry to go chacing you Texpat, but isn't the US a little paranoid at the moment ? You go on to Ebay and try to buy from a US seller, they will not sell outside the '** States'. Sorry I can't remember how many. Do they think anything outside of the US is anti-American and the items being sold will be used against them ? I have a UK issued card and can use it anywhere, even though I have a Thai address also. Edited by coventry

Yes, it's a pretty common thing. The easy solution is, even though you and I live here, to maintain a U.S. mailing and/or mail forwarding address, and use that for your credit card address of record. Then, whatever you purchase online is shipped there (or if the seller allows it, directly here to LOS). If the seller won't ship to Thailand, then you ship it to your U.S. address. Then either your friends/family or the mail forwarding company you've hired send it onward to Thailand.

I have friends and relations in the U.S., but I don't want to burden them with my activities and purchases ordered from here. So I pay a monthly fee to a mail forwarding company that gives me a legitimate U.S. mailing address, allows me to manage the mail and packages they receive for me online, and then forwards the mail to me monthly or as often as I direct -- all from the keyboard of my computer via the Internet.

Of course the banks giving out these cards to people with no hope of paying them off, has nothing to do with the banks losing billions of dollars then??

Get real, the banks factor in the losses when they do their calculations for the interest rates they charge people like you. :o

Why bother with a credit card. If you cannot afford to pay cash or direct from funds in a bank account, you can't afford to have it.

What a moron......I will incur zero charges if I ever use it, as long as the balance is paid within 45 days.

Thai issued credit cards are given when you have enough money in the bank to pay off any charges that you may use, in my case it isn't exactly credit, more like a debit card, but can be used in exactly the same way as a Credit Card enabling online purchasing etc..

And....oh why bother, you obviously don't have a freekin' clue.

I Have a Visa card with chip built in.

Mostly buy on internet with special calculator linked to credit card and bank account.

When buying online I am directed to my bank's computer to perform the calculator checking.

Bought LCD TV last week at Udon Thani shop and was required to input chip code in terminal, wow technology reached Udon Thani!!!

Then I booked a flight ticket at Thai Airways website and paid by credit card, NO check with my bank, no calculator required!!!

I often book flights with Air Asia, always goes through calculator check, Thai Airways are still in dark ages.

For internet transactions, I use a prepaid debit visa card.

As far as the on-line merchabt is concerned it is exactly like a credit card

When I want to buy stuff over the internet, I load the card with enough for the transaction only - thus the most that can be taken is enough for what I want to buy

The huge advantage is that it is not my primary card so I have peace of mind when purchasing

If an attempt is made to rip me off, I just cancel the card and get a new one, in Australia, the cards are available at post offices and newsagents, and I have heard of them being available on-line as a virtual card

Hope this helpS

Get real, the banks factor in the losses when they do their calculations for the interest rates they charge people like you. :)

What a moron......I will incur zero charges if I ever use it, as long as the balance is paid within 45 days.

Thai issued credit cards are given when you have enough money in the bank to pay off any charges that you may use, in my case it isn't exactly credit, more like a debit card, but can be used in exactly the same way as a Credit Card enabling online purchasing etc..

And....oh why bother, you obviously don't have a freekin' clue.

No maybe not but I do have money and don't need a freekin CC like you. :D

Who is the moron, someone who cannot afford to pay cash and who kids himself that he does not have or need a CC like you. ??

Get a better job, then you won't need credit (even if you do pay it off before due date) what a loser you are saying it is not a cc. :D:D:D

By using your Thai card you are in fact getting credit, or are you so thick you cannot see that.

Keep kidding yourself that it is not credit if it makes you feel good.

And.... Oh why bother, you obviously don't have a freekin clue.

Edited by khundon

I don't see that anyone answered your question yet.

You seem to understand encypted sites and the important thing is to make sure THAT's all you order from: Encrypted shopping carts.

I have an e-commerce online business and will try to explain

When you go to checkout, from the page where it asks you to enter your credit card no., expiration date, and 3 digit security code, you should look in the address bar and make sure there is an s at the end of the http. https://blahblahblah.com is how it should look.

That s at the end means it is encrypted and no one should be able to intercept your number.

Then it usually goes through a payment gateway which is a company that is certified by the banks to do this certain thing, and they check whether your info is correct and your card is good.

Once you click on confirm payment or something similar, the money is then deducted from your visa or similar card and goes into the website owner's bank.

You can usually go directly to the website of the bank that you received the credit card from and see the transaction. (once you go through the lenghtly process of setting it up so you can check these things online)

If you see a bogus transaction on there and suspect fraud, you can file a grievance and a "chargeback" gets started.

I'm not going to go into great detail, but that is basically how it works.

In 6 years of selling online, i have had 3 chargebacks. 2 of them i fought and won, the other was dropped because the guy thought i was someone else he had ordered from that same day.

99% of the time, buying online with a credit card is safe AS LONG AS YOU SEE THAT S AFTER THE HTTP! (and you trust the company to actually send what you order, if not, you can still file the chargeback)

I hope this helps.

Using a credit card in stores in Thailand is a different story and totally different security risk. I have had mine copied and used in London and Tokyo even though i hadn't been to those countries in more than 10 years.

One more thing: DOn't ever put your credit card number or delicate info in an email. They are not encrypted and can be intercepted.

Thanks for your explanation fiddlehead,

I will look for the "s" in https sites an set up an account with limited funds for online shopping. Time to explore the online market.

Robert

I live in Bangkok where I bought a ticket with Bangkok Airlines, this was the only 'net credit card transaction I had made for 2 years. 2 weeks later I had an email from my bank in Australia asking me to contact them urgently. I rang them. "Are you still in the UK Mr W****"? they asked. I replied that I hadn't been in the UK for 3 years. The bank advised that my card had been "compromised" in Bangkok and someone was using a forged card with my details in the UK. Purchases were made from London right up to Inverness. The thief was buying cameras and other expensive items which I assume could then be flogged in a pub for cash. The bank stopped the card and asked me to submit a letter of claim, I did so and got my money(some 5000UK pounds) back 2 weeks later.

Edited by sangfroid

Internet shopping, so long as it's a secure connection (https rather than http - is what the padlock means), it's pretty safe as the company selling will have had to register with one of the companies issuing security certificates, etc.

i.e. There's a fairly easy trail for the police if it's a bogus web site.

A far bigger issue is that so few websites will deliver to Thailand, or will only deliver some products. (i.e. Amazon will deliver books, but won't deliver electronics). To get around that problem you sometimes have to go to 5 or 6 sites until you find one that will deliver. (But I had the same issue 10 years ago with US companies that wouldn't even deliver to the UK).

You're far more likely to have issues with your card being skimmed during regular transactions in Asia. (I've had it happen a few times, my card suddenly stops working, I phone up the card company to ask why, and there's been an odd charge in Japan or Australia, at a time when I wasn't there...

Invariably happens while I'm in Thailand. (It's the reason I won't use a credit card in most shops in MBK, for instance).

As a general rule, I will follow the attendant when they go off to the till, with the excuse that I might need to enter my PIN... Since I've started doing that (or maybe since the introduction of Chip and PIN in the UK, as it was about the same time), I've had no problems.

However, there is a completely different side of things. With a western card, if charges appear that you are sure have nothing to do with you, the odds of you're getting your money refunded are pretty good. (I've never had a problem in that regard). I don't know if I'd trust a Thai bank in that situation.

The other thing is, depending on which country you're from, when buying things over the internet, you should always use a credit card, and not a debit card (unless you are 200% sure the supplier won't go bust.) This is because, in the UK at least, for purchases over £100, the credit card company is deemed jointly liable, so if a supplier goes bust, the credit card company has to give you your money back. If you used a debit card, they're not liable. However, this will vary by country, so you need to check the rules for the country where your card was issued.

As for Thai Airways website not going through the verified by visa, or the equivalent Mastercard program. It's why you have to show the credit card when you check in. The bigger issue is when buying several tickets on a debit card at a travel agents (specific issue with Qantas in Thailand as you need to go to get your tickets from an agency), is that the bank in Thailand that clears the transaction has a daily limit for debit cards, so even though you have plenty money in your bank account, the debit card can be refused for large transactions. (like buying tickets for the family...)

Qantas really needs to get their website sorted as it's a major hassle when booking with them (I've actually booked Qantas flights with BA (codeshare) on ba.com because there's no such issue with the BA website... - the problem there though is that BA charges you a LOT more if you want to change your flights in any way.)