Patpong Trader Fracas

Insight

Looks like there was a bit of a fracas with the Patpong street traders and the police last night. Only info I can find online about it on the ASTV site here (translated).

Background I heard is that they're upset with a recent clampdown on selling counterfeit items - 2 days notice.

BKK Post and The Nation have absolutely zilch on it so far.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like there was a bit of a fracas with the Patpong street traders and the police last night. Only info I can find online about it on the ASTV site here (translated).

Background I heard is that they're upset with a recent clampdown on selling counterfeit items - 2 days notice.

I saw something in the Thai Rath about it - but also couldn't find anything in the English language papers. If I remember correctly they promised to crack down everywhere (MBK, etc.) but acknowledged that it would be difficult :)

Vendors clash with pirate goods police

BANGKOK: -- Vendors clashed with Commerce Ministry officials in Bangkok’s Patpong area on Wednesday night after they raided sellers’ booths to arrest them for intellectual property violations and confiscated their goods.

About 200 vendors and 50 commerce offiicials were involved.

Soon after the raid about 20 men armed with sticks assaulted the officials, injuring 10 of them, one seriously.

The men then fired four gunshots skywards to threaten the commerce officials, witness reports said. The situation improved after police arrived.

Officials arrested about 10 sellers and made off with four vans loaded with confiscated conterfeit goods, mostly pirate copies of bags and clothes. The arrested vendors were taken to Bang Rak police station.

Later in the night hundreds of sellers marched to Bang Rak police station to file charges against the commerce officials. Some sellers, covered in blood smears, told reporters they were assaulted by the raiding party.

The commander of Metropolitan Police area 6, responsible for the Patpong locality, negotiated with the sellers and promised to process the cases fairly.

Commerce Minister Alongkorn Ponlaboot said on television programmes on Thursday morning that raids on sellers of pirate goods would take place every two days from now on.

He said officials would be required to display identification before commencing arrests and confiscating goods.

He said the public must view the incident fairly as officials on the raid also suffered serious injuries.

postlogo.jpg

-- Bangkok Post 2009-05-07

There's army soldiers stationed on Silom Road today...just came back (3:00pm). I saw them on Soi Convent and Soi Thaniya. The office girls were having fun taking their pictures with them. I asked one of the vendors what happened last night and he did not want to talk about it.

Edited by onomataho

The government really doesn't control such issues... They may bring it up... but nothing ever happens... Thailand always just bends over so they can get money from cooperative acts that gives them some monetary value...

The police do it to get party money...

UN is the world police... and that is controlled by all countries.

zilch ???

what is that ?

I dont see any problem with selling counterfeit (spelt right?) goods, its all part of the joy of tourists coming to Bangkok and buying some cheap gifts. I mean think of a fake rolex, people who spend a few thousand baht on one are most probably not the people who will spend say a few thousand pounds on a real one. If anything having more people with rolex on them are spreading the word! Thus making more business for rolex! I cant imagine that people who buy copy watches or goods would have an affect (except copied media like cd's dvd's etc) on the real market. People who can afford the real deal will buy the real deal and people who cant will buy a cheap alternative or a fake/copy.

Just my opinion :) but obviously not everyone will agree!

Here's my take ..... If a tourist buys a copy watch , handbag whatever how the hel_l can that affect or infringe on revenue from the original supplier or company.

The tourist is not going to pay hundreds of dollars for an original rolex , gucci or any other brand. So what is the big deal.

Also , the vendor makes his money, he employs thais, the copy factory employs thais who take money home to put food on the table.

I for one am happy to buy a fake as I will never be able to buy the real thing and even if I had enough money I woundn't waste it on name brands anyway.

If a poor person wants to buy a copy or fake then who is it hurting ???

I hope the Gucci's , Valentinos ect.. go bust.... good on the fakes :)

Tell me if i'm wrong !

Cheers..

Deputy Commerce Minister ensures fairness to all sides in Patpong clash

BANGKOK, 7 May 2009 (NNT) - Deputy Commerce Minister Alongkorn Ponlaboot ensures fairness for all following a clash between a piracy suppression team and vendors in the Patpong area last night.

11 piracy suppression staff members were wounded during the clash with one of them severely injured and the vendors were also wounded. The deputy commerce minister said he would investigate the incident to give fairness to all sides. Mr.Alongkorn was reported that the staff's operation last night had been lawful but the vendors had surrounded them and tried to grasp their seized products back. However, the vendors said that the staff had used force unnecessarily.

The deputy minister stated that if the affected vendors did not sell pirated products, they would be taken care of. He added that the ministry would dispatch piracy suppression teams to arrest and seize pirated goods again in the next two days and requested for cooperation from vendors.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 7 May 2009

Here's my take ..... If a tourist buys a copy watch , handbag whatever how the hel_l can that affect or infringe on revenue from the original supplier or company.

Not that I personally care, but one reason is that the more counterfeit items of any particular brand/product is available, the less attractive originals are to those with the cash to spend. It makes them less of a desired product as loads of people are wearing/carrying the item - devalues it's impact and leads people to alternative, less copied luxury brands.

I think its great. Pretty soon there wont be any Tourists at all since besides the scenery there wont be anything left to do.

Why would someone come all the way to Bangkok to spend money on an item they could

A buy at home cheaper.

B buy and not have to carry around on holiday.

C Buy near home and have no Warrantie issues.

Thats just me though, like others have said that even IF i had that kind of money. Why would i spend it on pointless frivalous items.

zilch ???

what is that ? It is a form of 'nothing' , ti nada, zero, rien, mai mii arai....Dhukkha :)

Any TV member who actually buy's bootleg DVDs, CDs, or software is just wasting their money anyways. We are obviously on the net and the DMCA (Digital Millennium Copyright Act) and it's EU equivalent in unenforceable when downloading off the net in LOS (for now at least).

And any of the BIB on the lookout for "Pirate Copies" of ladies?

I guess they better get those bootleg products. If the RIAA and MPAA are to be believed when you buy counterfeit items you are supporting terror OH NO! :)

Edited by gunnyd

Patpong is ruled by Mafia's .... especially the bars & sex shows... had an horrible experience when went with my friends & family to see the show ... we had to pay 15000 bhats to get out after 15 mins of the show...they actually bring armed goons to threaten tourists....with my serious suggestion to all tourists that they should avoid patpong completely.... thailand has many other places to party ... Pl Pl stay off PATPONG for sure...... Even the cops dont register complaints & the tourist police vanish from that place...

zilch ???

what is that ?

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/zilch

google is amazing..

Update:

Patpong vendors released on bail

BANGKOK: -- Four Patpong night market vendors arrested overnight by a Commerce Ministry raiding party for selling pirate goods have been released on bail after questioning, Bang Rak police said on Thursday.

Police investigators were questioning another nendor who was being treated for his injuries at a hospital.

Bang Rak deputy superintendent Pol Lt-Col Chalermpan Pao-in said Patpong market vendors continued to file charges with police throughout Thursday. They accused commerce officials who raided their stalls on Wednesday night of assault and causing damage to property.

National police chief Gen Patcharawat Wongsuwan said he told the head of Bangkok police to closely supervise issues relating to the matter.

Pol Gen Patcharawat said he would inspect reports of Central Investigation Bureau police having taken part in the raid.

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva said he talked with Commerce Minister Alongkorn Ponlaboot about the incident but crackdowns on intellectual property violations must continue.

The prime minister indicated he would be going over reports of the incident to determine if officials acted inappropriately, which might prompt a revision of the raiding procedure.

postlogo.jpg

-- Bangkok Post 2009-05-07

The tourist is not going to pay hundreds of dollars for an original rolex , gucci or any other brand. So what is the big deal.

Also , the vendor makes his money, he employs thais, the copy factory employs thais who take money home to put food on the table.

I for one am happy to buy a fake as I will never be able to buy the real thing and even if I had enough money I woundn't waste it on name brands anyway.

Tell me if i'm wrong !

Cheers..

steve, while I tend to hold the opinion that extortionist fee practices of certain software companies has lead to the huge counterfit problem its facing, stealing is stealing - call it what you want.

I am not sure what business you are in but if you had someone knocking off your patented / copywrited products and services - you wouldn't be happy.

I don't disgagree as to the 'immediate' commercial harm in having some tourist buy a fake rolex will have on the company - it doesn't make it right does it?

The other day - I went to the licenced Man Utd store in Lad Prao and paid over the top price for a pair of shorts. I could have gotten something very similar on the street for 1/8th the cost I am sure. I chose not too. Why, it wasn't the difference in price - it's the fact that I wanted authentic garment that was hopefully produced in some properly run factory with ethical practices. I have my reasons - I am sure those who buy copies have their reasons.

Are we at this stage in the world the of commerce where R&D and brand building are worth nothing though?

anyways, the actions I would guess are window dressing yet again.

Tell me if i'm wrong !

Cheers..

Try to buy original DVD`s in Hat Yai. You cannot, and everybody will recommend the Kim Jong market to buy DVD's, but they are all counterfeit. There are virtually no original DVD's on sale in Hat Yai; and as long Warner Bros. does not open a shop with originals, the Thai people as well as the farangs are doomed to purchase these cheapo copies. So what? And besides, has anybody heard, that those folks involved in the movie industry must now eat Kao prau, due to the fact, that there are some copies being sold on the streets of Thailand and China?

Quite right, I have had a few copy watches, though not from Patpong, the prices are too high.

The copies tend to last a few months, I tried different ones, finally decided what I wanted and spent a few hundred Euro on a genuine watch, a Tissot not Rolex though.

Without the try, I would never have invested in a decent watch

The Tissot has lasted over six years so far so it is better value. :)

2 days notice... I'm beginning to see a pattern. Someone likes surprises!

I don't see a problem here. Selling pirated goods is illegal in Thailand for many years. No need for any notice!

Any TV member who actually buy's bootleg DVDs, CDs, or software is just wasting their money anyways.

If the RIAA and MPAA are to be believed when you buy counterfeit items you are supporting terror OH NO!

If I could just figure out how to download a Rollix from those Pirate Bay terrorist fellas...

Another day in the life of Bangkok???

This has been going on for years, now. The U.S. releases their list (interesting that Canada was on the dirty dozen list this year, wonder why?) of the worst IP violators, the Thai police raid Patpong and other places like Pantip. Those who like to buy the pirated movies notice they can't for a few days/weeks, etc. Then, everything goes back to normal as the police like the bribes more than they care about IP violations of other countrys' movie companies. I mean, why would they care? Typically, you won't find pirated Thai movies on the streets (I suppose you could but my experience is it's more rare) as I guess the Thai movie companies have done something to ensure it won't happen too much, but why would they care about some Hollywood movies being pirated, I mean really? Who cares for goodness' sake. This is something that the night markets in Patpong, Nana, etc. are known for, fake goods and pirated movies. That is a large percentage of the vendors and it's obvious the police just choose when they want to enforce the laws in these situations. Will it ever change. I honestly think it won't, not for a long time, as this has been going on forever and yet in the end, after some confrontations, some people going to jail, etc. you always see the movie pirates back out there.

As for saying it's unethical, etc. it's capitalism, more like it. People want the best product at the best price. For movies, this applies. Yes, some pirated movies are stupid camcorder rips, etc. but some of them are even better quality than if you bought it in the store in Bangkok. I've had it happen. Bought a perfect quality DVD off the street, compared it with one I bought at the store, and the one off the street was better viewing quality. If you go often and establish a relationship with a certain vendor you will always get the best quality from him/her. The best quality DVDs in the "real" stores are usually like 600 baht or more. Knowing for that price I could go see five movies in the cinema I always found the ones on discount in the store and frankly, never found one with great quality. For the average Thai, if they can get the same quality as the 600 baht DVD for 100-200 baht, why go to the store? Capitalism. The need is always going to be there in Bangkok, until the movie companies can realize Thailand is a different market and price their DVDs accordingly.

All that happens because the USA is pushing Thailand to get rid of

fake ware. Its a long story and the pressure is going for many years

already.

Those listed below are just some found in google, the pressure is on!!

Number 1

Number 2

Number 3

Number 4

Sounds like we need to send some of our law makers to "release" some of that pressure. I am sure some enterprising businessmen could arrange it down in Patpong.

Or just wait. It's all just a show. They'll be back to regular business soon enough.